Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veronica Mars
I pretty much knew where this ep was going from the first 10 minutes, but I was still happy to see a show that actually goes where I want it to go. I love how, in a given episode, all the subplots echo each other. Veronica and Logan both trying to prove their alternate realities, both being slapped in the face by the truth. Last weeks was actually an even better example, with the missing daughter rhyming with both V and Logan's missing mothers, Sug Knight's father-son relationship rhyming with Logan and Perseus, etc. It's a Whedon trick, done much better than Whedon ever did. I think Duncan's meds are a red herring, but wouldn't it be great if Duncan was the murderer? Like tonight's events, it's probably the last thing V wants to be true.

Also: "You got a medal for a rim job?"
Good for you, Alyson. Good for you.
Wait I must have missed an episode, whos blackmailing veronica and her family and why? And what info do they have on them?
In the first or second episode we learn that Veronica's mom left her dad because someone was threatening Veronica if Keith didn't drop the Kane case...I think.
Also, what a great episode. Not only did Hannigan make me forget Willow, but she still displayed that ability to turn on a dime and make you believe it at the end of the episode. And all the other actors were in fine form--I had a little something in my eye at the end with Veronica, Duncan, and her friend at the dance.

This show is, indeed, the spiritual heir to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And in many ways, it's having a much better start out of the gate than Buffy did.
Great episode but one thing bothered the fuck out of me:

Is Duncan a retard or something?
yeah, i ws kinda, huh? with the blackmail mention. veronica must have been refering to the photos with her targeted but i missed when they were found so i figured i was just missing something.

i liked how even though they hyped the Hannigan appearance i forgot it long enough to actually beliveve that Duncan's mother was using the credit card. i felt stupid when i saw her walk out of the elevator but i have to give the show props for the writing in that it allowed me to actually beileve the story.

"girlly, girl drama"
At the very end, when Veronica confronted her mother in the bar, we caught a glimpse of someone watching her--that was the security guy, right? The guy that logged the 911 call? A good episode, and I'm getting psyched as the mystery moves toward it's climax.

As for Hannigan...well, she was barely in it. I think maybe a little of the intended impact of casting her against type is lost by the fact that, over 7 years, we saw so much of her character that we stopped thinking of her as the shy, nerdy girl a long time ago. But that's OK. Hannigan was good, and this was obviously a setup for more of her character (if you don't read TV Guide, she's being very enthusiastic about the role, and publicly talking about hopefully getting a full arc in the second season, if there is a second season. And, considering her name-recognition is higher than any of the other teen stars of the show, I'm sure that wish will be accomodated), which makes me happy. If nothing else, it keeps her from being on some shitty Tru Calling-type show, and me feeling obligated to watch it. And as a DVD geek, I look forward to hearing her compare working with Team Whedon vs. Team...what's the name, Thomas?

Oh, and I really like the young cop/love interest guy.
just a reminder, as it's been a while, there's a new episode tonight "Betty and Veronica."
Also, if you haven't seen it yet Couch Baron from Television Without Pity conducted a great interview with series creator Rob Thomas a month or so ago. There's a bunch of really interesting stuff in there, and IIRC not too many spoilers.
so does anyone remember how much time difference is in the actual time of death and the real time of death? remember Veronica found that speeding ticket photo of Lilly when she was supposed to be dead. so she was assumed to be dead earlier than she actually was. that means alibis given for a the time of her death can be assumed not be be real alibis. i was just curious because i think Lilly's mother just became the prime suspect, or was meant to become the prime suspect, after tonight's show.

interesting scene with Keith and Jake in the interrogation room.

i'm just a bit annoyed that Veronica's still hung up on Duncan or is it that she's annoyed with Meg for going out with him?
ever since the pilot my prime suspect for lilly's murder was her mom but now with tonight's episode i think it's too obvious to be her. wouldn't they wanna surprise us at the very last moment?
Quote:

Originally Posted by slagar

interesting scene with Keith and Jake in the interrogation room.

I'm trying to figure that scene out. It came without context, so I'm not sure if it actually happened that way, or if we were just seeing Veronica play it out in her head. I taped it, so I'll rewatch and try to figure it out. But I agree that the purpose of much of this seems to be to place our suspicions with Lilly's mom.

The Riverdale references were pretty funny. I've come to really like all the supporting characters. Even if this show gets cancelled, I imagine a series of young adult novels about Veronica would keep Rob Thomas in the money for the rest of his life.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-Man

I'm trying to figure that scene out. It came without context, so I'm not sure if it actually happened that way, or if we were just seeing Veronica play it out in her head. I taped it, so I'll rewatch and try to figure it out. But I agree that the purpose of much of this seems to be to place our suspicions with Lilly's mom.

The Riverdale references were pretty funny. I've come to really like all the supporting characters. Even if this show gets cancelled, I imagine a series of young adult novels about Veronica would keep Rob Thomas in the money for the rest of his life.

in the interview that was link a couple posts back Thomas says that he uses different colors for flashbacks. that scene was that way it happened, not the way Veronica saw it.

Jake was sitting there lying about his where abouts because he was with the wife of the guy asking him the questions about his whereabouts. Keith pressing Jake for details and Jake volunteering a blow by blow, pretty dark stuff, considering what the conversation was about between Jake and Veronica's mother (Lianne), Veronica's parentage.

Veronica's mom runs out of town because she can blow Liliy's (Celestse) mother's alibi. Celeste threatens Lianne with the death of Veronica if she tells the truth about the wherabouts of everyone that night. is that right?
Yeah, that sounds about right to me. The implication being that it is Celeste who murdered Lilly, although that sounds too easy. The security guy is probably working under orders from Celeste, and Celeste probably knows more than Jake does. But there's obviously more to the story than we know, and I guess we can assume that Koontz's daughter is a big part of that missing piece.

I thought the whole exchange between Veronica and Keith about the college money was pretty hilarious. "Say, I notice you've emptied your entire college fund account." "Don't worry, I have it under control." "OK, just checking." I think I'd have pursued that a little further.
OK, rewatched it and I was totally wrong about the interrogation scenes. It was Veronica listening to the tapes (I was kinda sleepy when I watched it the first time).
5 more to go.

Last night's ep was very central-mystery heavy. I hope they don't go that route for the rest of the season's run. I miss the comedy. The idiot PI having his mustache ripped off was good, but I wanted more.

So Lily's death could have been accidental......
It will be anticlimactic if that turns out to be the case.... and unfortunately I think that's the direction the writers are going. Only, I don't think Duncan is the killer.
My prediction: Weevil. They had a fight, she fell. He freaks out. Doesn't matter that it was an accident. He's a poor Mexican boy, she's a rich white girl. He's toast.
A big part of the show has had to do with the class distinction between the Neptune haves and the havenots. That has to factor into Lily's death somehow.

If it was foul play, I suspect Wallace. He's one of the few who Veronica doesn't suspect. Oh, or her own mother. Or her new boyfriend. I just don't want it to be Logan or Weevil (if it was intentional). I want them on the show next season.
...or her dad. There was a line in there somewhere about "it's good to know that someone will stick by their dad no matter how bad they screw up" or something, right? But I think you have a good point about Weevil, and how that fits into the class themes of the show. But somehow, one or both of the Kanes have to be culpable, or at least believe themselves to be culpable, otherwise they wouldn't be covering it up.
the whole Kanes paying off Kootnz to confess has been a central clue that's been worked on for a couple weeks now. the thing of it is, even after all that work she did to get the payoff proof, they still don't have it. so that entire thing might be a false lead, as we don't know for sure that there was a pay off. why are the Kane's so intent on keeping that entire thing secret? maybe there's some business deal that needs to be kept quiet. something other than the murder.

Wallace would be a hard sell. wasn't he new to the school? the first episode was a new kid hazing. i'm not sure if he just moved to town or he got transfered but either way it would be very disappointing.

i don't think it's the Kanes and i am doubtful of a TV show actually having one of the central characters being a murder the entire run of the season, so that excludes Weevil.

there's still five episodes to go. now that Veronica and her dad are working the case together i bet they find a new lead.
In a mild upset Veronica Mars has been renewed for a second season. This is according to Couch Baron of Television Without Pity, who got the word from series creator Rob Thomas about it. Seeing as how Veronica Mars' ratings are pretty terrible, this is very good news, although not completely unexpected.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch Baron

So I could draw this out, but basically, Rob Thomas called me earlier this evening to tell me that Veronica Mars has been picked up for Season Two. Dawn Ostroff had only positive things to say about the show, and it's basically unprecedented for UPN to renew a show this early.

I also wanted to note Rob Thomas excellent webpage watchveronicamars.com where you can see the words straight from Thomas himself under Veronica Mars/Huge News.
really good news there. i really like this show a lot. it woulda sucked if it got cancelled. the wire and veronica mars have already been renewed and hopefully carnivale and arrested development will join them.
Was that Jonathan Taylor Thomas?

Didn't believe him as a federal agent.
I loved that episode. Probably my favorite one so far. Great Wallace/Veronica and even better Logan/Veronica interactions going on. I was a bit skeptical about Logan and Veronica hooking up (it is pretty weird that he would date his dead girlfriends best friend/his crazy best friends ex-girlfried/possible half-sister), but those two have tremendous chemistry and their stuff tonight was great. Lo/Ve here we come. Veronica standing next to the William Wallace sword was pretty funny because it was clearly bigger than she was. The bomb subplot was pretty well done, although not very surprising. They do the same thing every episode by making it apparent that it is one person than it turns out to be someone who wasn't a suspect at all. I hope at some point it actually turns out to be the person everyone suspects. Anyway, I liked the creepy weapon guy, he turned out to be pretty sweet, which was cute. I hope he comes back at some point in the future, although I doubt he will.

As for the main story arc, either Teddy Dunn is a terrible actor or he is being instructed to act like that. I'm pretty fuckin sick of Duncan and really hope that he turns out to be the killer so that he won't be on the show any more. However, after tonight it seems pretty apparent that he isn't, because he looks so guilty now.

The only things that weren't up to the rest of the episode's standards were Jonathon Taylor Thomas, who was awful throughout the whole episode, and Joey Lauren Adams, who I like and thought was pretty good, but I didn't feel her character worked, so I'm pretty glad she's gone. Other than those two and Duncan, this episode was amazing.
Quote:

They do the same thing every episode by making it apparent that it is one person than it turns out to be someone who wasn't a suspect at all. I hope at some point it actually turns out to be the person everyone suspects.

Well actually they did do it once in the episode where Veronica's teacher was fucking his students. He did turn out to be guilty after all the twist was who the victim was. Anyway as for tonights episode it was damn good and im really glad they did make Johnathan Taylor Thomas an agent. I mean for years he's been playing a highschool kid and looking and beign way to old to(much like his other buddy on the show). At least this time theres a reason. I was really happy to see Joey Adams. Is this her first episode on the show or was she on a previous one I missed?
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuppetMasterFan

Well actually they did do it once in the episode where Veronica's teacher was fucking his students. He did turn out to be guilty after all the twist was who the victim was. Anyway as for tonights episode it was damn good and im really glad they did make Johnathan Taylor Thomas an agent. I mean for years he's been playing a highschool kid and looking and beign way to old to(much like his other buddy on the show). At least this time theres a reason. I was really happy to see Joey Adams. Is this her first episode on the show or was she on a previous one I missed?

It was her first appearance on the show.

As far as the Mars vs. Mars episode they were trying to make us think that the teacher was innocent and a really nice guy the whole time, while painting the accuser out to be a bitch. That episode does seem to fit into what I was saying, although I liked it a lot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuppetMasterFan

Anyway as for tonights episode it was damn good and im really glad they did make Johnathan Taylor Thomas an agent. I mean for years he's been playing a high school kid and looking and being way to old to (much like his other buddy on the show). At least this time theres a reason.

Yeah it's funny that JTT turned out to be a federal agent and the kid who played his older brother on Home Improvement is playing a high school kid on the same show.
My momey is still on Logan being the Killer. All those beatings from good old dad had to fuck him up and when he hears about his gf cheating with some poor person he slaps her around and boom, He blackmale everyone into helping him hide the truth Lilly was pregnant and the autopasy shows it
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashxking2001

My momey is still on Logan being the Killer. All those beatings from good old dad had to fuck him up and when he hears about his gf cheating with some poor person he slaps her around and boom, He blackmale everyone into helping him hide the truth Lilly was pregnant and the autopasy shows it

The Kanes have to be implicated in it somehow. The only way Logan could blackmail the Kanes to hide the truth is if he has something just as bad on them or if one of them contributed. Otherwise I find it hard to believe they would look the other way after some one killed their daughter/sister. Personally I just hope it's Duncan or Jake Kane. I'm sure the writers will make it make sense no matter who it is, but it makes the most sense if it is one of the Kanes.
I think Logan has to be as good a guess as any in light of his involvement with Veronica. That would seriously fuck her up, and they certainly aren't shying away from putting her (or any other characters) in fucked up situations. I like that V isn't some great paragon of virtue. The situation with her dad and Wallace's mom is pretty fucked up. Even if the scenario V imagines (her mom coming back to Keith) isn't true, she believes it's true, and yet has no consideration for how that will effect her best friend's mother. Not that I think she's a bad person or anything, but she can be myopically self-involved. No problem with directly lying to Koontz's daughter, either.

JTT is looking alot like a young Val Kilmer, don'tcha think?
This was a brilliant episode, JTT looked too young for FBI agent, the other kid being culprit was also pretty obvious but they are on a super tight budget so picking out which guest star of the 3 is culprit pretty easy, but the character work from all the players was good, moved everyone along a little .

Is the epilepsy hereditry? Could one of the older Kanes have it? Perhaps theres a twist there.

Glad this has got a new season, its great and Im glad its been rewarded for being so.
So no ones gonna talk about last nights episode? Well I thought it was pretty damn good. The romance between Veronica and Logan is moving along nicely but im suprised they went with it full force, that they didn't keep playing up the sexual tension. We didn't really get that much closer to figuring out the Lily Kane murder but I really doubt Weevil did it, it's way to obvious. Really my bets going more toward Logan, first it was obvious like Weevil but notw that romance is starting up it makes sense. Also im loving the beat down, I really didn't see that coming and once it did Ididn't expect it to be that severe.
i was reminded of the ruffi(sp?) incident last night when Veronica & Logan started up seriously. i was wondering if it was going to play out that Logan was the one who had role in drugging her, not necessarily raping her. the previews for next week seemed to suggest the plot line is going to come back in to play. so either Logan is going to get nabbed for the murder or the drug incident. the romance between the two of them can't last.
Right now, leaning towards Logan as the killer, just because that would fuck her shit up so bad. But then again, Logan as the rapist would be even worse. Or else, Duncan as the killer. Duncan would make more sense, but following the logic of mystery shows, it would have to be someone you don't expect. The hard part is that, if it's not someone in the Kane family, then why all the cover-up?

That beat-down was great, though. Shit just turned really dark, really suddenly. And then the echo of it with the nerd girl tazering the dog thief. Awesome.
Quote:

The hard part is that, if it's not someone in the Kane family, then why all the cover-up?

that's the big question. there is the possibility they just wanted the investigation to go away. Keith Mars was looking pretty heavily into the family and there were probably a number of skeletons they didn't' want him, specifically, to find: Veronica's parentage, Duncan's episodes...Kootnz was a likely patsy because of his previous history with the Kanes. Duncan probably found the body and got blood all over his uniform and with his history of medical problems they didn't want him to get nabbed for the murder. this still doesn't help find who the real killer is though.
Quote:

Right now, leaning towards Logan as the killer,

He took the news of Lily/ Weevil too well. I don't buy that he's made peace with it because it relieves his guilt over his feelings for V. He's so sensitive all of a sudden. This is the same spoiled brat who was creating his own Bumfights. Even though he would obviously change some after his mother's death, his complete 180 doesn't feel right. It seems like he got a good look at V's investigation of Lily's death, and is being Prince Charming to take himself off the list of suspects (even though V has pretty much eliminated him due to his airtight alibi, he might not want to take chances).