Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRIMER discussion (no spoilers)
Okay, I'd heard boo about this movie until today, then I read Dev's article and checked out the websites. I'm suddenly very intrigued. Independent lo-fi sci-fi always perks my interest, a la PI. This looks like something in that general vein.

Any other thoughts?
Does anyone know what it's about?
Four tech guys get together after work trying to invent something that'll make them rich. Two of the guys discover something by accident and figure out a way to time travel to six hours prior. It's maddeningly perplexing, and very raw filmmaking. Pretty fascinating, though.
Awesome, I love the fact that it is so low budget too, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
The interviews with Shane Carruth have been great, Dev. My desire to see this has increased with each installment. Man, I hope this goes wider than just the top 20 markets. I'm 99.9% sure that I don't live in a top 20 market.
Based on Dave's synopsis, this film sounds right up my alley. I can't wait to see it!

Also, the first two parts of the interview with Carruth are the goods, Devin.

Thanks for bringing this film to our attention.
Just read Devin's review. Jesus, I really want to see this. Sent the review to a friend too. I know for sure he'd love the film too.
I've never heard of this film before I saw that review. I've only read the first part of it and I'm interested. I dont want any spoilers.

It has a 4/10 rating on IMDB, though it only has about 250 reviews.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stupid_movie_nut

I've never heard of this film before I saw that review. I've only read the first part of it and I'm interested. I dont want any spoilers.

It has a 4/10 rating on IMDB, though it only has about 250 reviews.

like you said, its only ~~250 reviews, and to discredit that rating further still, if you check out the balance of scoring, there seems to be a particularly odd quantity of 2's in the voting: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/ratings
Saw a screening of Primer last night and I highly recommend checking it out if you are at all insterested in SF films or ideas. It's a twisted mindfuck, as has been pointed out, but one very worth spending the time on and one that will inevitably generate lots of discussion when it's over.
Also saw this at the Atlanta screening last night. I was surprised that there were only about 25 people in the screening. One lady next to me walked out and never returned. The movie was interesting, but confusing as hell and left me with lots of questions, much like Memento.

7.5 out of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by moovyphreak

Also saw this at the Atlanta screening last night. I was surprised that there were only about 25 people in the screening. One lady next to me walked out and never returned.

The old couple next to me got up and left before the box was even a time machine! I didn't really have too many questions about the plot... at some point I just kind of accepted that there are things that don't need to be figured out in minute detail in order to 'get' the movie.
Finally got to see this the day before it leaves Atlanta. I must suck as a moviegoer because I just walked out extremely confused. I liked the ambition and freshness of the filmmaking, but I'm not sure what the point of any of it was.
That's the brilliance of it, though. It begs a second viewing. You can't get it all in one sitting unlike, say, Eyes Wide Shut.
Probably 13 or so viewings. I've been reading explanations on the Primermovie board ever since I got home, but not even they agree completely with each other, nor do they answer all of my questions, so....
Just got back from seeing it and I haven't a fucking clue what this is. I liked it, but am pissed because I spent 9 bucks and generally feel like I just had sex with a girl but she wouldn't let me bust.