Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P.S. discussion
This looks good. I enjoyed Roger Dodger, the director's first film.

Quote:

Years after her high school boyfriend's death, Louise Harrington is spooked when Scott Feinstadt's graduate school application comes across her desk at Columbia University. Sharing the same name as - and similar appearance to - her former high school lover, Scott sparks to Louise, who openly welcomes the chance to love again.

Starring Laura Linney, Topher Grace, Paul Rudd, Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, etc.

Based on the novel by Helen Schulman.

Directed by Dylan Kidd

Trailer

Opens October 15th in limited release.
I don't know why, but I really like Topher Grace.
The novel this was based on was originally a short story that the writer blew up to a novel. Short story was great. Never read the novel. Hard to see it being bigger than that story. But I think the film could be based on the short story alone. Definitely want to see.
Because of You Can Count on Me, I actually get excited for Laura Linney films now. Plus, I really like Roger Dodger a lot, so I'm in for this. Plus, Paul Rudd. Lots of good shits in there. I think the reviews from the festivals have been kind of blah though. Kirby, did you read the Schulman book that the short story came from, or just the story?
I loved Roger Dodger.

I read the story in the KGB Bar Reader. From my understanding, she took the story as it was and made it into a novel.
Looked on Amazon. That story seems to be the start of the novel verbatim. You should grab that KGB Bar Reader, the old one. It's very very good.

I saw her read at this cool reading that took place in the stone underneath the Brooklyn Bridge. She was the least interesting of the all-star crew there (Jim Carroll reading Basketball Diaries and Denis Johnson reading Jesus' Son tend to overshadow plus Rick Moody) and she wasn't a good reader but she's certainly a good writer.
Has anyone seen a bad Laura Linney performance?

Her role stunk in Love Actually, but she was still good. Excited to see her in Kinsey, too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfalfa

Congo comes close.
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfalfa

I saw her in this film titled Maze that I didn't think was all that good. But, it was saved by her full frontal nudity, which you can sample here. Also, her acting chops didn't make The Mothman Prophecies or The Life of David Gale any better.