Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEOWULF & GRENDEL discussion
I hadn't heard about this film until my sister brought it to my attention last week when we were eating in a bar named Grendel's Den during a weekend trip to Boston. Anyway, the film is currently in production in Iceland and should be out sometime next year. It stars Gerard Butler, Stellan Skarsgård and Sarah Polley.

There's lots more info and plenty of pictures here: http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/
Quote:

Originally Posted by moovyphreak

I hadn't heard about this film until my sister brought it to my attention last week when we were eating in a bar named Grendel's Den during a weekend trip to Boston. Anyway, the film is currently in production in Iceland and should be out sometime next year. It stars Gerard Butler, Stellan Skarsgård and Sarah Polley.

There's lots more info and plenty of pictures here: http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/

YAY! That's the best ever! I've been looking for a proper film representation of Beowulf ever since that crappy ass The 13th Warrior!
This looks pretty cool, especially the "Grendel Strikes" storyboard. I've also been hoping for a quality adaptation of this story, and you can't get much more authentic than an Icelandic cast/crew.
Some of the video looks promising, but I was basically sold when I heard Sarah Polley was involved. The world needs more Sarah, even if it means a Road To Avon lea reunion.
Awesome, Beowulf was my favourite story in English Lit.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grendel in action.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl is the Universe

Awesome, Beowulf was my favourite story in English Lit.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grendel in action.

I'm looking forward to seeing Grendel getting his arm ripped off!

...and then of course, there's his mom and the head-smote-age...hehehe
Let there be asskicking!
Just e-mailed the link to my high school senior English teacher.

From the "Ask the Director" forum:
Quote:

The events of the story take place in pagan times and were passed on orally for hundreds of years before they were recorded by the poem's Christian author. In the film, we've restored the story to it's pagan roots, interpreting Grendel more as a creature of the natural world than as an 'evil-doer'.

Thank God (uh, no pun intended?) for that. In the translation I read in high school, the characters would stop every thirty pages to PRAISE GOD FOR PROTECTING THEM FROM THE EEEEEVIL MONSTERS. And yes, it was just that obnoxious. I like this more organic approach, although it reminds me a little of the concept behind King Arthur. Shit, I better shut up before I jinx it.