Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Water Trailer
Trailer

Jennifer Connelley+White Blouse+Lots of Water= Best movie EVAR!
Didn't expect to see the trailer for this arrive so quickly.

Good for the most part; a little too much near the end there but still solid. Is the original available on DVD yet in the US or will you have to wait till this comes out?
There's no DVD in the States, but there is in the UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DCY00/
Like Devin noted in his "The Grudge" review... It seems the scariest things nowadays are little girls with wet hair....
Link is dead. Maybe next time.
Yet another unbelievable example of dumbing down films for American audiences, by giving the title an obvious link to the plot. In the American 'The Ring' you saw a ring, and now in the American 'Dark Water' the water is dark. Absolutely pointless, cant anyone handle a vague title?
The water featured prominently in the original is murky and dirty as well, so it's hardly Walter Salles' fault. Not to ruin the plot, but let's say the water is kind of old. Hence the grime. And in Ringu/The Ring it's a multiply interpretative title: the phone; the cycle of the curse; and the sphere of sunlight which was the last thing Samara saw as the lid was placed over the well.

You know The Matrix isn't titularly Proustian either.

This trailer: meh. Love the original picture, but the ad doesn't really play up portentous aspects of the tale and seems more concerned with the plumbing element that was unjustly criticised the first time around.

A while since I saw it but did John C Reilly's character (presumably named Tubby X. Position) turn up in Nakata's picture ?

The Ring 2 teaser was far more effective for me.
Alright, here's a direct link.

trailer

Looks interesting. I guess I should finally get around to watching the original. How different does this look?
Looks like another pointless remake. The original is my favourite of the recent asian horror movies.
Thanks for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrichead

Looks interesting. I guess I should finally get around to watching the original. How different does this look?

Looks tonally different to me. More "intense", just like the american Ring was more intense than the original. I say "intense", but i´m not necessarilly seeing that in a positive light. The american Ring had that "ok, this is too slow, let add shit here for no reason" feeling. This looks to be the same.

1. Both male characters in the trailer are clearly more talkative in this version (yes, i can tell just from the trailer...). They seem more active and more like they´re part of the action in this version. I feel that may be one of the most detrimental changes. I would elaborate, but that´s spoiler material.

2. I notice much more exposition right away. There was almost no exposition in the original. There was one scene with a couple lines. That´s it. In this trailer, i can already see characters saying things that are supposed to make you go "oooh". "Wait, did you say upstairs? Nobody´s lived upstairs for years!" "It was locked! Someone else opened it".

3. Some supernatural stuff in this trailer doesn´t happen in the original. A few things, not only one or two. The original was very subtle, almost nothing happened on-screen until the last 20 minutes, and the level of menace was very, very contained. I can already see they´ve upped the scale considerably.

4. I see CG. Again, in the original, everything (like in Ring) was supposed to look natural. Like something you see everyday - "did that puddle grow a little while i wasn´t looking?".

5. Aesthetically, they also are way further down the road.

Overall, it´s the Ring remake all over again. More dialogue, more scenes, more exposition, more "action", more effects, more more more. Hell, this trailer by itself almost has more action than the original.

I also predict that, like the Ring, it won´t be a bad movie. Just a more "Hollywood", less "moody" version.

SPOILER:

Did i see the girl actually hold her mother´s hand in the elevator? Tell me they didn´t do that.
Why can't these American remakes be TOTALLY different from the original? Would it kill them not to be so xenophobic?
One thing that gives me hope at least the directing will be decent is the fact the director is the same as Central Station and Motorcycle Diaries, brazillian Walter Salles. Still, considering it´s a more commercial flick, and what i´ve seen in the trailer, i´m still on the fence.
I don't remember all the water being dark in the original, though. Plus it look's like they got rid of 'the' bag from the original, which was one of the best clues. It took skill to make a kid's bag creepy, I don't know how it will be replaced.

I don't know, this trailer just didn't feel creepy or tense at all. Maybe to an audience that hasn't seen the original it'll be more effective.
The audience wants this stuff. It'll make eleventy billion dollars, just like The Grudge.