Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Movie stuff you only just realised...
Guadians of the Galaxy 2 is a very specific take on Faust via The Devil's Advocate.
In Jurassic Park when Nedry slips down the slope there’s a slide whistle sound effect.
The sound effect that always throws me for a loop in Jurassic Park is when Nedry is laughing hysterically during his first scene, he makes an almost perfect raptor noise at one point. It's weird.

...but my fave is it taking me over 20 years to see Jeff Goldblum 'riding' the nose of the T-Rex through the bathroom wall right before it eats Gennaro off the toilet..
In RoboCop 2, Cain's got a " Nuke family" ...a perversion of a typical nuclear family.

Also....the scene showing the other attempts at creating more RoboCops failing and the subjects committing suicide. Murphy is the only one who didn't. Because he's Catholic and suicide isn't an option. That's the lightning in a bottle OCP was failing to crack the code on..
(05-05-2019, 08:16 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: In RoboCop 2, Cain's got a " Nuke family" ...a perversion of a typical nuclear family.

Also....the scene showing the other attempts at creating more RoboCops failing and the subjects committing suicide. Murphy is the only one who didn't. Because he's Catholic and suicide isn't an option. That's the lightning in a bottle OCP was failing to crack the code on..

One of the most unintentionally (?) hilarious scenes in movie history.

I don't think it's unintentional. This is a RoboCop movie, kind of.
(05-06-2019, 12:40 AM)bradito Wrote: I don't think it's unintentional. This is a RoboCop movie, kind of.

You're probably right, you Biden-supporter, you.

I saw City Lights for the first time last night (cross-referencing this post with the "Witless Imbecile" thread), and a couple things occurred to me while watching it. For one thing, I imagine somebody who's bad at recognizing body language and facial cues would probably be pretty lost watching a silent movie, because that's 95% of how it's told (pretty much everything but the title and dialogue cards). For another thing, it occurred to me that the key to why the Tramp is funny isn't because he's a tramp. It's because he's a tramp who acts like some well-to-do gentleman, twirling his cane and tipping his hat and so forth. "Hey, that's not how a poor guy in ragged clothes is supposed to act! Hilarious!" You know, I think this Charlie Chaplin guy might've been pretty good at comedy.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
There's no way that that scene in RoboCop 2 was unintentionally funny..
In The Dark Knight "Five dead....two of them cops..." that Gordon tells Batman at the end. I always was unsure who the fifth person/second cop was. I just assumed Gordon was counting Ramirez but didn't know that yet that he didn't kill her. Now I realize that he was probably talking about the cop that ran back to Harvey's hospital room that the Joker shot. They didn't know Harvey didn't kill that guy too. So it's that cop first, and they just pinned that one on the wrong person. 2.Wuertz. 3.the guy supposed to get in the car with Maroni. 4. Maroni's driver 5. Maroni himself. There. That's always bugged me.

Movie stuff you should've realized a decade ago..
The messageboard for TDK wrestled with this for pages.
Do you think I've answered it or is that post no better at laying it to rest than all the posts about it before?
Cop in the hospital
Wuertz
Maroni's driver
Maroni
Harvey Dent

Five dead. Two of them cops. Who I guess are more important than regular people. If you're a cop.
I think Gordon just meant that murdered cops would be even harder to sweep under the rug. Not that he was placing more importance on them. But yeah cops do actually do that as well...so..
After watching my newly purchased Criterion of THE SEVENTH SEAL, I've decided that there's no way Roger Corman wasn't influenced by Bergman's depiction of the Middle Ages when he made THE UNDEAD (as seen on MST3K) the very same year.
I have no idea how many times I've seen Wrath of Khan, but I seem to always notice something new. This time I noticed that there are only two working phaser props (one has lights that blink in sequence, the other just lights up) and they change hands depending on who's in the shot.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Just noticed during the opening credits...Jussie Smolette...yeah that one...was one of the original “Mighty Ducks”
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
King Ghidorah has already fought Godzilla in an American film.

[Image: tumblr_inline_o6oyaqMpWH1s954y9_500.jpg]
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
Isaiah Whitlock Jr. was in Goodfellas, very briefly. 

Sheeeeeitttt
In this 3 part interview at The Ringer with Quentin Tarantino, they discuss that he spent a year of his childhood (72-73) in Tennessee. Tarantino mentions that he was living in a place called South Clinton. I was born in South Clinton a couple of years later and lived there until I moved away after college.

Not sure what to do with this information, so I'll just put it here.
Reading a Random Roles interview with Thomas Haden Church at AV Club, and he mentions that the name of his character in Idiocracy was supposed to be Marlon Brawndo.
(07-30-2019, 02:42 PM)Mangy Wrote: In this 3 part interview at The Ringer with Quentin Tarantino, they discuss that he spent a year of his childhood (72-73) in Tennessee. Tarantino mentions that he was living in a place called South Clinton. I was born in South Clinton a couple of years later and lived there until I moved away after college.

Hey, that kind of info is cool. I wish everybody would share that sort of stuff.

Here's one if anybody is interested:
I took a welding job a few weeks ago at a rail yard in Sulphur Springs, TX (about 40 minutes down I-30 from my town, Mount Pleasant) and found out that the boxcar from Boxcar Bertha now resides there. I had no idea!
Watched/listened to the commentary track for THE GREY last week. Was very, very surprised at how much the film used digital effects (beyond the wolves, I mean), as well as having to bring in fake snow for a number of scenes.

The scene in which they're using a makeshift rope to go from a cliff top to trees? Filmed in a parking lot. No cliff, no trees, no real snow.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-30-2019, 02:42 PM)Mangy Wrote: In this 3 part interview at The Ringer with Quentin Tarantino, they discuss that he spent a year of his childhood (72-73) in Tennessee. Tarantino mentions that he was living in a place called South Clinton. I was born in South Clinton a couple of years later and lived there until I moved away after college.

That is awesome. I knew he was in Knoxville area, but I had always assumed it was Knoxville proper. I didn't realize it was actually South Clinton. I lived in Clinton proper (north and south of the river is all Clinton officially, but south of the river by the former Kmart is officially South Clinton). For the those who have failed to visit this scenic area, imagine a small town that happens to be the county seat on a US highway, but that highway is about 15 minutes from the confluence of Interstate 40 and Interstate 75. It used to be a major route north before the interstate. So, you know now it is a little run down. There is a Git n Go gas station, a Shylock's Pawn and a couple other pawn shops, my auto mechanic (who is really good), a small auto dealership, a small discount grocery store, a Chinese restaurant that serves more American food on the menu then it does Chinese, a dead Kmart store, a 4 wheeler dealer, and a railroad line that runs parallel to all of this.

So, small town that would drive a man to LA. Big Grin
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Kitty, the hitchhiker/Manson Family member that Pitt picks up in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Andie MacDowell's daughter. She's a better actress than her mother..
That would be Pussycat, or "Pussy," as Gypsy puts it.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Oh right, damn....I keep getting that mixed up. Kitty is the real person who she's based on. Shit..
I do agree that Qualley does a great job.

It's also interesting to see how many of the Manson kids are played by movie-stars' kids. We've got Rumer Willis, Maya Hawke, Harley Quinn Smith... anyone else?
Ok, this is not technically a movie thing I just realized...it's more just a thing I just realized. But I did see it IN a movie when I realized it so here is where I'm spilling it. The leaf on the apple of the Apple logo is EXACTLY the shape of the bite taken out of the apple. So, putting that leaf back on the bite would make the apple whole again, in other words. I feel like I should be in The DaVinci Code right now!
Jena Malone was young Jody Foster in Contact.