Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie stuff you only just realised...
Yeah, just read that. ELEVEN! Man's (Lucas) got issues...
Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei
"I was a child! I was in love!"
"You knew what you were doing."

Oh ho ho.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
You skipped over "It was wrong and you knew it!"

I've said this before, but I like to think there's a way (regardless of original intent) to write that backstory strictly as a treasure-hunt adventure. They don't HAVE to be talking about sex-- it could be a thing where young Marion had a crush on Indy, and Indy took advantage of that to get her to "borrow" an artifact from Abner for him, and then everything went sideways and nobody was forgiven.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I like (prefer?) this interpretation.
I choose to go by only what I see/hear in the finished product in this case. Nowhere in the movie does it say she WASN'T 17-18 and him 30-ish....sooooo I'm just gonna pretend that's how it was..
In Prom Night, at the end, that's actually SUPPOSED to be lipstick and NOT blood on the killer's face.

As Bradito would say....things I should've realized 20 years ago. I guess I just thought it was that pinkish looking stage blood like in Dawn of the Dead but after finally watching the blu ray, I could clearly see the other make up he had on. Which actually presents a bit of a continuity error because...did he put it on EVERY time he donned his murder outfit and then wash it off EVERY time before you see him the times between? I mean....that's a lot of work..
(07-02-2018, 11:57 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I choose to go by only what I see/hear in the finished product in this case. Nowhere in the movie does it say she WASN'T 17-18 and him 30-ish....sooooo I'm just gonna pretend that's how it was..

That's how I roll with it.  She was 17-18 at the time and Indy was 25-26.
Just like Call Me By Your Name. Which is why we need an epic sequel to that movie in about a decade.
If Marion were a millennial, she would've been 25 and Indy, like, 26-27.
The line in LAST CRUSADE about "precious treasures from Germany's finest families" is a super dark Holocaust reference I missed until watching it very recently.

This is a great piece about Marion:

http://www.brightwalldarkroom.com/2016/0...ure-doing/
home taping is killing music
Rebel Wilson is in "Ghost Rider." Also, "Ghost Rider" is pretty good.
(07-04-2018, 07:58 AM)boone daniels Wrote: The line in LAST CRUSADE about "precious treasures from Germany's finest families" is a super dark Holocaust reference I missed until watching it very recently.

Is it? Kristallnacht happened in November 1938, and although Last Crusade takes place in 1938 it doesn't seem that late in the year. 

Or do you think Spielberg is just conflating history with an anachronism to add weight to the scene?

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

I just assumed the script writer conveniently forgot that the majority of Germany's upper and upper middle class was in favour of the Nazis as a bulwark against populism and Communism, and decided to cast the Nazis as cultural hooligans.
Tracey Walter ("Bob", one of the Joker's goons from 1989's BATMAN) and Leland Orser (most disturbing murder[er] in SE7EN, quintessential "That guy" character actor) are both nameless techs in the lab/autopsy scene in INDEPENDENCE DAY.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
It's been claimed that the "finest families" line in LAST CRUSADE was originally more explicit, with Donovan saying "finest Jewish families."  Because someone walks in front of Julian Glover at that moment, the removal of that word from the soundtrack was disguised.  So the claim goes.
Wonder if after the "finest families" bit, Glover went off on a tangent about the most noble child the Gods ever put on this good earth?
Hannibal Lecter tells Clarice roughly the location of Buffalo Bill in their very first meeting..
Thelma Schoonmaker, Scorsese's long-time editor, was married to Michael Powell till his death in 1990. She was 44 when they married, he was 78.
Originally posted by Schwartz on Cool as Ice ("When a girl has a heart of stone, there's only one way to melt it. Just add Ice."):
"It's not just a mixed metaphor, or that the stone is one that is melting...but the ice is actually making it melt. (kisses fingers) Magnifique."
Michelle Monaghan and Bridget Moynahan are two different people.
I'm still avian.
Nope, same person.
(06-25-2018, 05:53 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Spaceballs has some good jokes. But Brooks has exactly two movies that are actual full stories and not just joke delivery systems

Life Stinks?
(07-12-2018, 11:01 AM)RCA Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 05:53 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Spaceballs has some good jokes.  But Brooks has exactly two movies that are actual full stories and not just joke delivery systems

Life Stinks?
Life stuff you just realized..
Life Stinks does have a solid narrative spine. Plus a great bit of closeup comedy from the late Howard Morris.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I’m on my annual replay of HALO: REACH and this time around I’m struck by how deeply it informs STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
(07-14-2018, 09:44 AM)lightning slim Wrote: I’m on my annual replay of HALO: REACH and this time around I’m struck by how deeply it informs STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE.

This is interesting. I'm not overly familiar with Halo after the third game. Care to explain this a bit more?

REACH is a backfill/sidequel story illustrating a historical event in the HALO universe. It is a suicide mission about a secret team of operatives trying to find an invaluable Macguffin before an entire planet is invaded and destroyed. One by one, team members are lost. Sometimes with big heroic flourishes, sometimes snatched away suddenly by the riptide of war. Eventually the team fights to the last and gets the Macguffin the hell out of Dodge to earn a place among the greatest unsung heroes of the war.

The twist (as in what the audience doesn’t know coming in) in ROGUE is why the Macguffin exists. In REACH the twist is what the Macguffin turns out to be.

I would highly recommend the game. It has the best written story in the series.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
Very cool, Lightning. I do think we're more and more seeing the influence of video games (and Anime) on movies because we're getting filmmakers who grew up with them.

I could believe Rogue One is influenced by Reach.

Thanks!

(07-14-2018, 10:00 AM)lightning slim Wrote: REACH is a backfill/sidequel story illustrating a historical event in the HALO universe. It is a suicide mission about a secret team of operatives trying to find an invaluable Macguffin before an entire planet is invaded and destroyed. One by one, team members are lost. Sometimes with big heroic flourishes, sometimes snatched away suddenly by the riptide of war. Eventually the team fights to the last and gets the Macguffin the hell out of Dodge to earn a place among the greatest unsung heroes of the war.

The twist (as in what the audience doesn’t know coming in) in ROGUE is why the Macguffin exists. In REACH the twist is what the Macguffin turns out to be.

I would highly recommend the game. It has the best written story in the series.
nice comparison. 

I feel like the Halo games would work so much better if they just embrace the expanded universe aspect of the franchise and not have to tie themselves to whatever bullshit MasterChief is doing.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.