Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wtf are you playing...
(05-19-2018, 04:26 AM)Andy Bain II Wrote: OK the truck chase set piece was legitimately great.

Stick with it Andy!
Godspeed lilttle doodle.
Urgh. That interminable flashback though.
(05-18-2018, 08:45 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: Ah yes, The Immortal.  AKA “Dark Souls Wishes It Was This Hard.” Right up there with Battletoads as “Nigh impossible game.”

I beat the Immortal, after tremendous difficulty, exclusively with the help of a guide book. 

I honestly do not see how anyone could have figured out some of those puzzles on their own.  I really don't.  That game took obtusiveness to an entirely new fucking level in terms of video game problem solving.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(05-21-2018, 07:34 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(05-18-2018, 08:45 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: Ah yes, The Immortal.  AKA “Dark Souls Wishes It Was This Hard.” Right up there with Battletoads as “Nigh impossible game.”

I beat the Immortal, after tremendous difficulty, exclusively with the help of a guide book. 

I honestly do not see how anyone could have figured out some of those puzzles on their own.  I really don't.  That game took obtusiveness to an entirely new fucking level in terms of video game problem solving.

Yeah, IIRC Nintendo Power did a full walkthrough of it.
(05-21-2018, 07:34 PM)Overlord Wrote:

Yep. I remember giving up on The Immortal because it was trial and error and you could never really figure out what you were doing wrong other than repeatedly dying.  Castlevania 2 had that ridiculous puzzle as well that required a guide to know about.

The toughest, but fair, games I had the most satisfaction from beating were Contra: Hard Corps, and Devil May Cry 1 and 3.
Godspeed lilttle doodle.
Unfortunately I'm not playing Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

Backers of the Kickstarter aren't getting our download codes yet... which sucks. They gave us a temporary code to play on Steam, but I just don't want to play it on my computer.
Godspeed lilttle doodle.
Retrying Bloodborne. Further through and I'm finally digging it. Dying an obscene amount but liking it. Mad Max is fun but not where my head's at right now. This is suitably different.
Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei
I’m playing through Dark Souls Remastered at the moment. It’s still Dark Souls, but seems much easier in places than I remember it. I think it’s because I finally have improved at the combat in these games. However there are other places in the game that are just as hard as I remember.

Specifically I had to tackle the infamous Anor Londo archer segment last night. No other Dark Souls game has a segment like it in terms of sheer unfairness in what the game is expecting the player to do. It requires the player to run up a flying buttress on the side of a large cathedral-like castle, while dodging dragonsslayer arrows being fired by two archers. The arrows are the size of large spears and they track the player a little so the only way to make them miss is to run. If one hits, the force of the impact instantly knocks the player off and they fall to their death. Only greatshields can prevent the knockback, so any character that doesn’t have the strength to wield a greatshield is better off with no shield.

Then at the top of the buttress the player has to balance on a narrow ledge and somehow force their way through one archer while the other keeps firing arrows at their back. Again any hit is a fall to the death. It’s a motherfucker. After four deaths I tired of running the 4 minute gauntlet from the nearest bonfire to get back to that one section, so I saved and exited the game right before doing that mad dash up and backed up my PS4 save to the cloud. Then I ran at it another 6 times, downloading my save from the cloud every time I died to save time and sanity. Finally got it after dying ten times.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation.