Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wtf are you playing...
I also never played either of the MWs (I have little to no intersest in modern combat simulators. Historical or futuristic or GTFO!), so the remastered part 1 being free is pretty sweet.
Git' in under mah belly!
Giving Wolfenstein another go...for obvious reasons.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Between Sekiro and DMC V, im giving my controller and thumbs one hell of a workout.
Amazing how much Capcom has steered course with Megaman 11, DMC V and its anthologies.
Meanwhile, it took me 3 nights to finally beat a particular boss in Sekiro...and the I managed to beat 2 bosses in a row because I was in the zone, so to speak ; thanks for changing your usual gameplay mechanics, From Software*.

*Sarcasm aside, Im pretty amazed by how From Software manages to ace difficulty in their games; hard as hell, but never unfair or unbalanced.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
(03-28-2019, 01:25 AM)ryoken Wrote: ....  hard as hell, but never unfair or unbalanced.

I dunno ... I found the prospect of having to redo an entire gigantic maze because they don't feel like putting a pause feature into a single player game --sometimes life intrudes and you have to step away for a few minutes -- didn't feel particularly fair (that was the exact moment when I ragequit Dark Souls 3 maybe 65% of the way through).
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
This game has pause.
I downloaded a two-pack of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night for ten bucks. Fuck, those games are still hard.
Sekiro - Finished. Dug the shit out of stealth, didn't miss any of the mp bullshit from old souls games, a fucking pause option. I parried dogs, committed monkey holocaust, and put down that asshole snake - suck it PETA.

Baba is You - This offset my running rampage in Sekiro Animals Die Twice, nice chill out puzzling shit on the Switch.

Metro Exodus - Binary outcomes are so 2007. Get with the times lazy Russian devs, everything is grey these days. Had a good run at the game not doing unnecessary murder, game still punished me with losing a squadmate...fuck it, everything I see is going to die now. Time for some raytraced ultraviolence.

The Division 2 - Now that they fixed that weird skills go poof bug the game is much more pleasant to fuck around in. Loot feels varied, guns are satisfying, still don't care about the story.

Apex Legends - Kinda given up on this now that there's a rise of cheaters zooming around being fucking twats. PC hardware bans is a start, but it's still a problem.

On my plate still: Devil May Cry 5 with goofy real life cutscene dlc. Still haven't even touched nu Far Cry either. Also downloaded Yoshi but haven't launched it yet.
coulda been the willie nelson
coulda been the wine
Just picked up a laptop capable of gaming (but it's really for work) and am tooling around Steam looking for something to play. I have a PS4, so those games are covered. I have Civ VI, Grim Dawn, and Skyrim (again) so far, but haven't had a gaming-capable PC in nearly a decade. Any recommendations on where I should catch up?

Richard Dickson:  No, it's just that people don't understand the history and struggle of the English language, or else they'd use it properly. They're anti-semantic.
laptop specs would help folk more -> cpu, gpu, and ram.

scanning my most played/recent purchases, here's a short list that mostly doesn't crossover into ps4 territory:

Return of the Obra Dinn
Into the Breach
Battletech
Crosscode
Exapunks
Hollow Knight
Wargroove
Sunless Sea
Sunless Skies
Two Point Hospital
Wreckfest
Chuchel
Cook Serve Delicious 1 & 2
Heat Signature
Slay The Spire
To The Moon / A Bird Story
Doorkickers
Witcher 3 (unless you already got it on console)
Torchlight 2
Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2
Xcom 2
Metro Series (2033, Last Light, Exodus but these are also on console so maybe ignore)
Steamworld Dig 2
Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Banished
Firewatch/What Remains of Edith Finch/Oxenfree/Gone Home
The Stanley Parable
Rebel Galaxy
Gunpoint
FTL
Limbo/Inside
Papers Please
Prison Architect
coulda been the willie nelson
coulda been the wine
I’ve dusted off Rome Total War 2 for the first time in years and still love it.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(04-01-2019, 10:41 PM)mongycore Wrote: laptop specs would help folk more -> cpu, gpu, and ram.

scanning my most played/recent purchases, here's a short list that mostly doesn't crossover into ps4 territory:

Thanks for the recommendations!  My specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 8750H 
16GB Memory 
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 
512GB Solid State Drive
1TB HDD

Richard Dickson:  No, it's just that people don't understand the history and struggle of the English language, or else they'd use it properly. They're anti-semantic.
Damn thats a balling rig
(04-02-2019, 10:59 AM)Munson Wrote: Damn thats a balling rig

Thanks.  I picked it up on clearance when my old laptop died. I'm going to use it  for video editing with my students next year when we start our news production class.  I plan on upping the memory to 32GB before then

So: Asking all those Sekiro players in here. Is it the easiest From title, or the hardest? Everywhere I look seems very split on this.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
If you can get the rhythm of the parrying down pat, it is probably the easiest game, as every fight requires extensive use of that mechanic. But if you struggle with that rhythm, the game will be extremely difficult, as the game offers no other combat methods to use to progress, as the Souls games did.
I picked up Arkham Knight for cheap last weekend. I don't know know what the general consensus is, but man, fuck this game. By the time I'm on on my 15th try of the latest Riddler race, I'm not having much fun anymore.
(04-13-2019, 01:41 AM)somewhere Wrote: I picked up Arkham Knight for cheap last weekend.  I don't know know what the general consensus is, but man, fuck this game.  By the time I'm on on my 15th try of the latest Riddler race, I'm not having much fun anymore.

Game sucks.  That's where I quit the series.
Arkham Knight is pretty great if you can put up with the monotonous Batmobile-tank segments peppered throughout. The on boots being Batman parts are some of the best in the series, but they went overboard compensating for the lack of playable Batmobile in the previous game.

Detectiving, stealthing, fighting, gadgeting, gliding, rapelling, all great. Driving around and racing n' chasing with car, cool. The umpteenth tank battle, get to fuck.
Git' in under mah belly!
Arkham Knight is pretty good when there’s no batmobile bullshit.

The story and Hamill’s performance are really fun.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Just started playing Metro Exodus. Stopped at where I presume will be the first open area zone, but the extended prologue was classic Metro.

It's good so far, but it has the same problem that the other two did; the voice acting is overall not great. You can tell that it's mosty people where English is a second language. There's a few parts where multiple characters are talking at the same time or over each other, and it's all varying degrees of wooden or speaking phonetically. Kinda breaks the immersion to a degree, because the audio, visual, and mocap are all pretty great.

I would prefer to play it in native Russian, but for some reason the option to do so is greyed out.
Git' in under mah belly!
After reading about EDF: IRON RAIN and seeing that's basically another semi-serious take on the EDF formula (aka Insect Armageddon. Barf.) I dived back into EDF5. Nothing better than blasting bugs and kaiju on a Sunday afternoon.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/sony-limits-...e-content/

Cure enraged online reactions in 3... 2...
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I started Daggerfall last night. Died many, many times before I could figure out how to swing a dagger.
(04-17-2019, 02:13 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: I started Daggerfall last night. Died many, many times before I could figure out how to swing a dagger.

Daggerfall?  The Bethesda Elder scrolls game?  The one with the map that was so titanic I couldn't believe the size while I was playing it? 

[Image: 5f7waqp.jpg]
(04-17-2019, 02:07 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: http://www.darkhorizons.com/sony-limits-...e-content/

Cure enraged online reactions in 3... 2...

Won't somebody think of the children that shouldn't be playing MATURE rated games in the first place!?

Bye bye first person topless lapdances in GTA 6.
Git' in under mah belly!
Over the last few weeks I had picked up Far Cry New Dawn since it had been on sale.  It pushed me into going back to wrap up Far Cry 5 before I really dove in.  I did, and while there is still more for me to do in 5 I moved on to New Dawn and have already done plenty there as well.  Playing them practically right on top of each other has helped me keep track of some of the smaller bit in New Dawn that might reference back to 5, and dang it, I think I really love these silly games.

Aside from that I'm a bit all over the place.  I played through a smaller game on the Switch called The World Next Door.  It's a really neat little game, with a sort of match three puzzle fighting thing at the core around visual novel-ish conversations.  It's really good, BUT, the way it ends seems to allude to more things than are actually explained or even there, so it feels a bit incomplete.  It's nice in a way to want MORE than the game gives, but disappointing at the same time.  It makes a great foundation for a more fleshed out experience though.

I've also been dabbling in Cat Quest on the Switch which is charming and fun, and some other little game that hardly anyone has probably ever heard of called Final Fantasy X.  All kidding aside, I'm trying to give FF X another chance.  I've dabbled with it in the past on various platforms since its initial release and while I know lots of people love it, it never seems to be able to really grab me, so we'll see how it goes THIS time.
It's OK! I'm a leaf on the wind.

Xbox Live: Nanoblech / PSN: Nanoblech
(04-18-2019, 03:47 PM)rich straceski Wrote: Over the last few weeks I had picked up Far Cry New Dawn since it had been on sale.  It pushed me into going back to wrap up Far Cry 5 before I really dove in.  I did, and while there is still more for me to do in 5 I moved on to New Dawn and have already done plenty there as well.  Playing them practically right on top of each other has helped me keep track of some of the smaller bit in New Dawn that might reference back to 5, and dang it, I think I really love these silly games.

I had great fun with Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn, although I really don't know how people can play that admittedly silly series in anything but co-op.

I loved Far Cry 1 and Far Cry Instincts (or whatever the Xbox version was called).  Far Cry 2 and 3 nearly killed my enjoyment of the series, but the last three entries have all been a lot of fun.
Playing The Forest! I have 3 different games going--1 by myself in Peaceful mode (I did both endings this week), 1 with my son, and another with my son and some of his friends. The last one we finished one of the two endings last night--we're more interested in building crap and fighting mutants/cannibals. We also just got the blueprints for the "rollercoaster" and glider designs. We finished it last night so we can just go off and start building this crazy stuff.
(04-18-2019, 03:56 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 03:47 PM)rich straceski Wrote: Over the last few weeks I had picked up Far Cry New Dawn since it had been on sale.  It pushed me into going back to wrap up Far Cry 5 before I really dove in.  I did, and while there is still more for me to do in 5 I moved on to New Dawn and have already done plenty there as well.  Playing them practically right on top of each other has helped me keep track of some of the smaller bit in New Dawn that might reference back to 5, and dang it, I think I really love these silly games.

I had great fun with Far Cry 5 and Far Cry New Dawn, although I really don't know how people can play that admittedly silly series in anything but co-op.

I loved Far Cry 1 and Far Cry Instincts (or whatever the Xbox version was called).  Far Cry 2 and 3 nearly killed my enjoyment of the series, but the last three entries have all been a lot of fun.

I'm the type of maniac who enjoyed Far Cry 4 so much that I ponied up for the Gold Edition of Far Cry 5, so I've got all the DLC, for better or worse to work on as well. The Gold version also came with the re-release of Far Cry 3 which I had never really gotten to before, so I have that one waiting for me as well, as fresh as it can be. I'll probably finish up New Dawn and tinker with 5 more before I decide to dive in on 3. I wanted to play The Division 2 as well, and I'm behind in my Assassin's games too. Basically, if someone said to me I could only play Ubisoft games for the rest of my gaming days I don't think I'd have much to worry about.
It's OK! I'm a leaf on the wind.

Xbox Live: Nanoblech / PSN: Nanoblech
(02-25-2019, 08:41 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Horizon Zero Dawn+ DLC- Trying to clear this out of my backlog out of spite, since I bought the disc last year right before the price dropped. The resale value is peanuts, so I'm stuck with it.

The game is incredibly gorgeous, even on base PS4. It's literally a concept art portfolio brought to life. I feel like I'm looking at $50 million dollars of art school student loan debt. Everything else, I strongly dislike.

I've tried every possible way to engage with the combat. All the different weapons, techniques, etc. It just stinks. Every fight feels like an endless waste of time, with herds of enemies plopped in front of the objective marker seemingly just to annoy you. 3/4 of the story mission fights start with the enemy alerted or about to be alerted, so all the half assed stealth stuff is also pointless.

The lore and story dialogue are unbelievably bad. It's all so lifeless and benign, you'd think it was written for a CW channel tv series. Everbody speaks in a "neutral accent", and were all presumably lobotomized at birth.

I really wanted to like HZD. It seems like a huge amount of work went into it from very talented people of the art/tech side. Walking around and looking at the sights feels great. It's just every single other aspect of it that irks me.

The DLC was better than the main campaign. I actually finished it. It's not like it was that different, but being contained to one region made it flow better, and climbing snowy mountains was nice.

I went back to the main story, and you are forced to do a Witchervision pixel hunt quest to find Annoying Mohawk Guy's cousin/wife/whatever to progress. That's the one that stopped my progress dead. I'll probably just delete it now and save myself further annoyance.

Goddamn, this is like the wrongest thing I have ever read on this site, and I've that's saying something. HZD has one of the best and most horrifically believable apocalypse stories in an age, and Ted Faro crashes in at #1 with a bullet in the top most 10 hateable antagonists of any game or film ever.

And that's without even meeting the bastard.

I mean sure, if you don't like stealth or picking apart big enemies piece by piece using all the various weapons and methods at your disposal then sure but the gradually reveals of how and why the world is how it is now is peerless, and sad, and terrifying. Some incompetent techbro turd fucking up and destroying everything by accident because all he could think about were dollar signs? Yeah, it's more likely with every passing day.
(04-19-2019, 10:02 AM)rich straceski Wrote: I'm the type of maniac who enjoyed Far Cry 4 so much that I ponied up for the Gold Edition of Far Cry 5, so I've got all the DLC, for better or worse to work on as well.  

The Mars DLC of Far Cry 5 is tons of fun and a real change of pace (again, play it in co-op).  The gravity jumping is a hoot.  It's a step up in difficulty, but at higher settings it's a bit much. If you've been playing on hard, put it back to normal.  Trust me.  

The Vietnam DLC is largely a waste and I quit the zombie one maybe half an hour in.  

(04-19-2019, 11:30 AM)UltraAnxiety Wrote: [quote='kyle reese 2' pid='4590227' dateline='1551141715']
Horizon Zero Dawn+ DLC- Trying to clear this out of my backlog out of spite, since I bought the disc last year right before the price dropped. The resale value is peanuts, so I'm stuck with it.

The game is incredibly gorgeous, even on base PS4. It's literally a concept art portfolio brought to life. I feel like I'm looking at $50 million dollars of art school student loan debt. Everything else, I strongly dislike.

I've tried every possible way to engage with the combat. All the different weapons, techniques, etc. It just stinks. Every fight feels like an endless waste of time, with herds of enemies plopped in front of the objective marker seemingly just to annoy you. 3/4 of the story mission fights start with the enemy alerted or about to be alerted, so all the half assed stealth stuff is also pointless.

The lore and story dialogue are unbelievably bad. It's all so lifeless and benign, you'd think it was written for a CW channel tv series. Everbody speaks in a "neutral accent", and were all presumably lobotomized at birth.

I really wanted to like HZD. It seems like a huge amount of work went into it from very talented people of the art/tech side. Walking around and looking at the sights feels great. It's just every single other aspect of it that irks me.

Completely agree.  I tried SO hard to like HZD.  But at every turn, the amazing production values couldn't mask the fact that I found the plot and characters insipid and the combat incredibly tedious and enervating rather than exciting.  

None of the characters, but particularly the main character, felt organically connected with the world.  It did, indeed, feel like the story of a bad sci fi show.  

The combat is SO fucking tedious.  The stealth either works too well or doesn't work at all, it's the same rote mechanics regardless of enemy type, and the human enemies are basically brain dead.
I’m was woking my way through Sekiro’s NG+ last night and the textures stopped loading in right when I was about to enter a Mini-boss fight, so the mini-boss was invisible. I decided to give the fight a go anyway and ended up beating the invisible boss. 

This was one of those times I was happy to have the auto-record on my PS4 running, I don’t think anyone would believe me if I didn’t have a clip to share.

When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation.