Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wtf are you playing...
I’m playing Stardew Valley incessantly, instead of all the unplayed Triple A titles on my shelf. Sorry, Last of Us, I’ve got a crop of Amaranth that I promised to Maru!

I love that it tells you nothing. It treats its mechanics like a Souls game.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
New Wave music? Check.

Killing Nazis with badass women? Check.

Love this game!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
The new one? Why is it getting such shit reviews? Looks fine to me.
Its basically more of the same compared to New Colossus. And I mean more of the same, since the game repeats the same paltry six maps over and over. 

Aside from that, a lot of people are being turned off by the 2 leads acting like cringe inducing douche bros. Also just like New Colossus, the game doesn't really have a proper ending, it just kind of stops, which is never satisfying.

What else.. oh yeah there's a push for performance enhancing micro transactions. Eh.
Git' in under mah belly!
I can't get enough Assassin's Creed Odyssey. This, despite having played way too much Assassin's Creed Origins last Spring. They've got me by the balls. So many map point to walk towards.

It's super fun though. I'm semi-obsessed. And it looks so damn beautiful.

The next one's supposed to have Vikings, and I'm all in.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
AC Vikings should be pretty nuts, since they are taking an extra year like with Origins.

I fired up the laptop and decided to try to activate the strategy part of my brain with Civilization VI. I've never played a Civ or 4x game, so it's been a total shitshow. I made it to 1400 AD before an enemy and my best ally declared a surprise war on me at the same time and attacked my capital. I had barely gotten a mounted Knight built, meanwhile Kenya had just entered the Atomic Age.

So, I started off another campaign on the easiest Settler difficulty and will keep muddling through and trying to absorb more of the mechanics. It seems like knowing exactly how many military units to build, when to build them, and who/where to attack with them is key to surviving.
Gears 5 is downloading on my One X, I'm fuckin psyched.

If you have Ultimate Game Pass, you can set your console region to New Zealand/pack up your family and move to New Zealand, and play it right now.

My download won't be done for a while anyways, so I'll stick with the midnight EST launch.
I finally just finished my first playthrough of Bloodstained. 47 hours to get the Platinum.

Totally worth it.

River City Girls on PS4. Great brawling action and funny as hell too.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Just finished Detroit: Become Human. Wasn't satisfied with the fate of one character so I replayed the final chapter with a couple of different choices. Everyone lives! Happy endings for all huzzah!

Recently finally got RDR2. Played the prologue until the first campsite. I'll get back to it when I finish playing a couple of other games first.

I only have a couple of Lost Tales of Greece left, then I'll be done with AC Odyssey. At least until the Discovery Tour drops soon.
Git' in under mah belly!
New game from the makers of Until Dawn just came out, called The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan. Apparently the first in a series. Anyone played it yet?
I have the demo downloaded. I have a rule not to start any horror games until October, which is also why haven't started playing my copy of REmake 2 yet despite having it for months.
Git' in under mah belly!
River City Girls is pretty great so far, though granted I'm still stuck on the first boss and haven't unlocked any special moves yet (except for ground stomp). I can't wait to get my brother-in-law over here so we can play co-op. That's where the Kunio games shine the most, IMHO.

River City Ransom is one of my childhood faves, as is Super Dodge Ball (a spin-off Kunio game) ... so I'm psyched for RCG and hope it does well enough to warrant more Kunio games over here.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
Gears 5 is glorious. I wasn't sure how I felt about the first part of Act 1, but by Act 2 I was loving it.

Medium was a little sleepy for me, so I restarted on Hard/Experienced. Seems more balanced, needing to use all the new Jack abilities makes it more fun. Gears gameplay is as great as ever.

I don't have a good PC, so the graphics for this on the One X are the best I've seen in any game. The HBAO light and fog everywhere, crazy detailed textures, environmental design and color schemes all come together to form an immersive experience.
I started playing Blasphemous today. It is so good.

What is this nonsense.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/9/9/2...controller
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Exactly that, nonsense. Who cares what the button is called?
Git' in under mah belly!
Picked up GREEDFALL. It's an impressive small-dev take on the huge RPGs in the vein of Dragon Age.

It's set in a world that mixes fantasy with the age of colonialism, which makes for an interesting mix. You come to the new world armed with muskets and magic, and encounter natives, colonists, religious missionaries... and giant tree-monsters.

The human groups are mostly at odds with each other, leaving you to pick sides, or try to thread the needle between them. "Moral" choices aren't connected to stats or reputation, and in fact often piss someone off.

I've only just made the boat ride to the new world, so I can't say much more, but so far this seems like a gem.
Gamertag: Tweakee
I just finished a first playthrough of Untitled Goose Game, and it is absolutely worth the ticket price. It's pretty short, but as an example of the 'Comedy Game' it is probably the best I've ever played in a long time. Primarily because the comedy is heavily tied up in the actual gameplay design. It's not like a classic LucasArts adventure game where the comedy comes primarily from the writing, it's a physical comedy driven by the game systems, and has an absolutely perfectly done punchline at the end that recontextualizes the entire game.

If you've got a Switch or a PC, play it. It's an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC right now, but it's worth jumping through even that hoop.

Also I'd say don't watch any Let's Plays and minimize the number of video reviews you watch. You really don't want this game spoiled.
Link's Awakening remake- I'm officially giving up my Gamer Cred license. I spent 20 minutes in the Mysterious Forest at the beginning of the game. It should've taken 45 seconds. I already played this twice in the 90s. I forgot you could push the rocks in the cave. Ugh.
Picked up River City Girls, which is awesome but I suck at it and haven't unlocked many moves yet. I grew up playing a ton of River City Ransom though, so it's a real blast of nostalgia getting into a Kunio game again. I finally got to play co-op this evening, which is where these games truly shine. Really, really fun game. I hope it does well enough to warrant more western released entries from the Kunio series.

Also grabbed Borderlands 3 on PS4, which I'm somewhat regretting. I don't have the Pro model PS4, I probably should have grabbed the PC version. I haven't really played it much yet, but I know when I finally do devote my full attention to it I'll be hooked hardcore. Borderlands 2 has sucked me more times than I care to admit, and 3 seems to be just more of that. I really miss the Mechromancer class though!

Lastly, I grabbed Ni No Kuni Remastered on Steam. A bit pricey at $40... but for my money Ni No Kuni is the best JRPG released on PS3 and that generation in general. I didn't even get a PS3 until Ni No Kuni was released, it's what brought me back to Sony from Microsoft. I'm psyched to have access to this game again, as I gave my PS3 away to my niece when I picked up the PS4. The cell shaded graphics helped it age really, really nicely and the game as a whole is so much more enjoyable than the sequel, which added too many half-baked mechanics like kingdom building.

I'm so tempted to get the Switch Lite. At $200 it seems like a no brainer ... but I can't justify it when I know Nintendo games rarely get good discounts/sales. All the games I want to play are in the $60 range: Fire Emblem, Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Shield.
-The Tick
Finally started playing my copy of Skyrim last night. Don't @ me, that wagon ride at the beginning was a colossal turn-off when the game first went live.

Last night I figured out how to dual wield only after making it through the starting zone, having left a fortune in one-handed weapons behind me. I promptly restarted in order to outfit myself with two swords at the start of my journey.

I did that fucking wagon ride twice last night. Everyone in Skyrim will fucking pay for this. It's a 100% playthrough or bust now. It's personal.

On the bright side, I know a lot more Elder Scrolls lore from the MMO than I did when I first got this game, so all of the names of places, persons, and deities will make a heck of a lot more sense now.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
It's October now, so I'm finally gonna start RE2 remake and try that Man of Medan demo to see if it's good enough to buy.

I save my horror content to spam it during Horror month.

Early Access on the 8th for Kombat Pack owners.

Git' in under mah belly!
That Skyrim wagon ride is indeed the worst. I loaded it up on my One X during a free trial to see how it looked (mediocre), then promptly uninstalled it after the intro.

I enjoyed my one playthrough on PC a couple years after it came out, though I dropped it as soon as the main quest was over. Get ready for some long ass Follow The NPC story missions.

I liked Fallout 4 a lot more, I felt compelled to see everything on the map in that one.
It took me years before I played past the opener, and when I finally did I lost the story thread completely and just wandered around killing shit and doing random quests until it got too repetitive.

I agree with kyle on Fallout 4. I've played through that enough times to see the various endings and then again with the DLC. I was heartbroken when the new Fallout wound up being that fucking online lootbox-laden bullshit.

River City Girls gets so much more fun as you unlock more special moves. Not thrilled with the occasional platforming quest, as the controls just aren't tight enough to keep them from being frustrating as fuck. They work fine for the meat of the game, but precision jumping...ugh!
-The Tick
Wagon ride pro tip: save it right after you get off before you make your character. No more wagon rides ever!
Jesus. I played about 120 hours of Skyrim on the Xbox360, then restarted when I got a PS4, to the tune of another approximately 170 or so hours. All of this is over the course of maybe four years though!

My 13-yr old daughter just started playing the game a few weeks ago. Her latest gambit is to adopt as many street urchins as she can, arm them with knives, and see how long it takes them to go Lord of the Flies in her house in Whiterun. While I find this terribly amusing, I don't believe I'll let her play the Fallout series for a few more years.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Borderlands 3 gets my seal of approval. The beginning is very rough and shaggy, but 6 hours or so later (intro to 3rd planet) I'm full on hooked. No need for me to bother with Rage 2 now, the real thing is back.

The semi-60fps mode runs alright on One X. Not great, but I've gotten used to it. The deadzone options for stick control are excellent, though. That makes up for any technical shortcomings. You can get the aiming down so smooth that you can completely disable auto-aim.

I'm playing Siren solo, like I did in the first 2 games. I like having options for survivability and controlling the fight, and you can tweak your elemental damage buffs for everything.
(10-02-2019, 04:03 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: My 13-yr old daughter just started playing the game a few weeks ago.  Her latest gambit is to adopt as many street urchins as she can, arm them with knives, and see how long it takes them to go Lord of the Flies in her house in Whiterun.  While I find this terribly amusing, I don't believe I'll let her play the Fallout series for a few more years.

Is your daughter my youngest niece?
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
I recently beat REmake 2 with Claire and then 2nd Run with Leon, which unlocked The 4th Survivor mode with Hunk. Seeing as how I never actually played the originl RE2, holy shit is this mode hard and tedious and kicking my ass. The ammo and items you start with is all you get, and you have to mad dash through a nigh impossible gauntlet of tough enemy placements to escape.

After a few extremely frustrating fails (no checkpoints, gotta restart everytime), I looked at a video guide. If you do it EXACTLY and PRECISELY right, using SPECIFIC weapons and items at SPECIFIC times, it only takes about 11 minutes to complete. I probably would've never figured it out on my own without it taking several hours and a couple dozen retrys. At my age and state of health I just have no patience anymore for trial & error gameplay that's hard for the sake of being hard. Especially if all you get beating it is a trophy and the opportunity to do it again as a giant piece of Japanese tofu. Meh.

If there was a snazzy super weapon or set of costumes to unlock I'd be more inclined to try again.
Git' in under mah belly!