Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wtf are you playing...
Hehehe, good ol' sand bird. Took me about 5 tries this time, walking instead of hopping keeps you glued to the bird better.

I had a good time playing up until I opened up the volcano. I'll save that for another day.

I played on Pro Controller, so it handled nice. You just have to get used to physics quirks like jumping before the edge of a ledge, otherwise you get sucked down by it.
Just now getting into Red Dead Redemption 2.   I wouldn't say it's grabbing me yet but I'm liking it a lot so far.   I'm doing the missions, but I'm strangely more hooked on the hunting and breaking horses than the main missions.    Great Cowboy Sim where you can chill out for a while.
Don't know how early in the game you are, but make your way to the fur trader in the big city. You'll find out what you need to hunt to get special clothing. Hunting to feed your settlement becomes unnecessary very quickly. Building the fast travel wagon is important too.
Alyx might be the game of the last decade.

Finished up Half Life: Alyx tonight.

Holy crap. This was a full bore successor to Half Life (took me 12-15 hours, I reckon). Great story, killer ending, and in all aspects the game feels a full generation ahead of other would-be AAA VR titles. Don't get me wrong, there are other VR games I've loved, but this is just on a different tier. And not just in terms of physics and graphics, I am stunned by the care thrown in the level design and story. What starts off very simply by the numbers feeling game world keeps upping the ante until you're just in awe of the creativity on display.

It feels like the most important game for the video game industry in a while, maybe since the first 3D engines ... or heck, maybe since Half Life 1 (the first prominent game I'm aware of which merged storytelling and gameplay into a unified whole, with no cutscenes).

Play it.

(12-17-2020, 12:54 AM)ChrisW Wrote: Just now getting into Red Dead Redemption 2.   I wouldn't say it's grabbing me yet but I'm liking it a lot so far.   I'm doing the missions, but I'm strangely more hooked on the hunting and breaking horses than the main missions.    Great Cowboy Sim where you can chill out for a while.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has an extreme problem with what it seems like it wants you to do, and what Rockstar actually wants you to do. Like you may think the game wants you to hunt, after all it tells you it wants you to hunt to feed your camp, it has a pretty fantastic tracking system that you actually don't even need to use your "hunter vision" for, and it's a way to make some extra money. But, and there's a really big but here, the game doesn't actually want you to hunt. First off, they've made hunting a chore. You really need a wagon when you're hunting to feed the camp, but as is you've only got the horse, (although there is a trick to have more; still, this will also take some time) and the horse can only hold a single deer. So if you're hunting for the camp you need to trek back and forth multiple times between your hunting grounds and the camp to get your food up. Another huge problem with hunting is the payouts. Quickly you'll find it just doesn't pay to hunt. Hunting as a source of money is too time consuming for the reward it gives you, as mission rewards will start playing out like ten times more (and more later) than you'll ever make hunting anything; instead the only reason you'll need to hunt is to put together clothes at the trapper. The money thing also feeds back into the camp, as you'll be so flushed with money and items from missions it's easier to just pay the camp for food instead of actually bring food in. You also don't need to hunt for food for yourself, like to make health items and such, as you'll have an over abundance of those by just going about the game normally.

It's really quite interesting, because RDR2 is basically a lesson in how not to design a game. It's as if two completely different teams with total different design philosophies made the game. One was total open systematic gameplay, and the other was super on rails point to point everything. And the rails won by undermining (and dulling) the systematic stuff.

Everything is like this too. Bounties are totally scripted missions this time around. In the previous game they were: go to this area, and get the target in said area. They weren't great, but a good evolution of them would have played something like a mission in MGSV, were you can infiltrate bases from multiple approaches, you can use stealth or go guns blazing, and you can kill or capture the target. In RDR2 they've taken a step backwards somehow with bounties being scripted missions where you hit a spot, a cutscene triggers a chase, a fist fight, (which are terrible) or a dual in a couple case, then you bring them back to where.

The camp isn't used to its full extent either. Ideally you camp would be an advanced version of the heist system from GTAV. A place where you plan jobs, but given it's nature the people you're doing jobs with are more characters to you...and because of that maybe you don't take such and such to do this or that job because their personality doesn't fit. Don't want to be doing some simple job with a crazy man that might haul off and just start murdering people and bring unneeded heat on you. Maybe characters even get taken out as options if they've gotten hurt and need to heal, which could force you into using people you don't want to. But the camp isn't really used for anything but a hub area you don't really need. Outside of how characters at the camp may react to you, I don't think it has any outcome on anything.

There's also a sleep system, but because the game never fully commits to the survival elements it should have you want really need to ever sleep (other than to save the game) or set up a camp that can also be used for crafting items. Although you can make better bullets there. You can cook food too, but that's more novelty than anything.

The game is a very interesting aggravating mess. It kind of sucks, (I don't meant just the things I talked about above either; the shooting system, stealth, cover system, and hand-to-hand combat are all pretty bad) you can see a good game hidden under all the bullshit, but it's also not so bad that I didn't finish it either. Although I almost did at one or two points. Despite Rockstar deincentivising you making your own fun in the open world, it can still be fun just fucking around in the open world.

Still really surprised they don't just let you actually run your farm in this game. This is the second game in which they give you a farm where it doesn't become a farm game. You can do more than last time, but it's also way under what it could or should be.

Been playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 off and on. On a gameplay level it's a pretty great simple turn based tactical game with a real-time element to it. Apart from the gameplay the story sections between the gameplay can get pretty annoying. There's a whole lot of them, and while these are fully voiced there is for some reason no option to just have these section autoplay like a normal cutscene. So instead of these little story sections playing like a fast cutscene, you'll need to press a button to advance what everyone says like it's a text only game; needless to say this can really drag out this part of the game. Preferably this non combat section would act more like the non combat management game sections of an XCOM or Persona game than what exactly they've went with here. But it is still a good game. Just a bit annoying when you're in the story stuff because of how much you'll be pressing a button to get through it, and the team management stuff at the camp is maybe a bit too simplistic for its own good.
[Image: 25y0ad10o1761.jpg]

I vaguely remembered that Arkham Origins was Christmas themed, but I skipped it since t wasn't developed by Rocksteady. But it's available to stream on PS Now, so yeah.

Oh and I've been playing season 3: Winter Games of Fall Guys. Everyone in snowman, Rudolph, and Santa outfits avoiding giant snowballs and cracking ice floors. Fun and cute.
Git' in under mah belly!
Arkham Origins is underrated. City is much better obviously, but then Knight is from Rocksteady as well and that turned out only ok, thanks to too many tank wave fights. Origins is a solid addition and worth it. Hell, I even played Blackgate and Batman VR. All very playable.

I'm looking forward to the next one.
But why?
I finally got around to trying out Kingdom Come: Deliverance on PS Now. I liked what I played more or less, and noticed that it's leaving the service in 109 days, so I searched for it in the PS Store.

Well alrighty then it's currently on sale say for only ten fiddy. Oh but wait, what's this!? The Royal Edition that comes with all the DLC is also on sale... for only one fiddy more! An otherwise 40 - 50 dollar value. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY 12 CLAMS!
Git' in under mah belly!
I got Sackboy: A Big Adventure for my son for Christmas. We've played the other Little Big Planet games which we enjoyed, but this was is the first 3-D game instead of a strictly side scroller. We absolutely love it. Graphics are incredible (even on the PS4), licensed music, so creative and fun. A complete joy!
After seeing the amazing Godzilla Vs. Kong trailer I've decided to get off my duff and finally finish EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 on PS4 before the sequel comes out.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(12-21-2020, 08:39 AM)simbob Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 12:54 AM)ChrisW Wrote: Just now getting into Red Dead Redemption 2.   I wouldn't say it's grabbing me yet but I'm liking it a lot so far.   I'm doing the missions, but I'm strangely more hooked on the hunting and breaking horses than the main missions.    Great Cowboy Sim where you can chill out for a while.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has an extreme problem with what it seems like it wants you to do, and what Rockstar actually wants you to do. Like you may think the game wants you to hunt, after all it tells you it wants you to hunt to feed your camp, it has a pretty fantastic tracking system that you actually don't even need to use your "hunter vision" for, and it's a way to make some extra money. But, and there's a really big but here, the game doesn't actually want you to hunt. First off, they've made hunting a chore. You really need a wagon when you're hunting to feed the camp, but as is you've only got the horse, (although there is a trick to have more; still, this will also take some time) and the horse can only hold a single deer. So if you're hunting for the camp you need to trek back and forth multiple times between your hunting grounds and the camp to get your food up. Another huge problem with hunting is the payouts. Quickly you'll find it just doesn't pay to hunt. Hunting as a source of money is too time consuming for the reward it gives you, as mission rewards will start playing out like ten times more (and more later) than you'll ever make hunting anything; instead the only reason you'll need to hunt is to put together clothes at the trapper. The money thing also feeds back into the camp, as you'll be so flushed with money and items from missions it's easier to just pay the camp for food instead of actually bring food in. You also don't need to hunt for food for yourself, like to make health items and such, as you'll have an over abundance of those by just going about the game normally.

It's really quite interesting, because RDR2 is basically a lesson in how not to design a game. It's as if two completely different teams with total different design philosophies made the game. One was total open systematic gameplay, and the other was super on rails point to point everything. And the rails won by undermining (and dulling) the systematic stuff.

Everything is like this too. Bounties are totally scripted missions this time around. In the previous game they were: go to this area, and get the target in said area. They weren't great, but a good evolution of them would have played something like a mission in MGSV, were you can infiltrate bases from multiple approaches, you can use stealth or go guns blazing, and you can kill or capture the target. In RDR2 they've taken a step backwards somehow with bounties being scripted missions where you hit a spot, a cutscene triggers a chase, a fist fight, (which are terrible) or a dual in a couple case, then you bring them back to where.

The camp isn't used to its full extent either. Ideally you camp would be an advanced version of the heist system from GTAV. A place where you plan jobs, but given it's nature the people you're doing jobs with are more characters to you...and because of that maybe you don't take such and such to do this or that job because their personality doesn't fit. Don't want to be doing some simple job with a crazy man that might haul off and just start murdering people and bring unneeded heat on you. Maybe characters even get taken out as options if they've gotten hurt and need to heal, which could force you into using people you don't want to. But the camp isn't really used for anything but a hub area you don't really need. Outside of how characters at the camp may react to you, I don't think it has any outcome on anything.

There's also a sleep system, but because the game never fully commits to the survival elements it should have you want really need to ever sleep (other than to save the game) or set up a camp that can also be used for crafting items. Although you can make better bullets there. You can cook food too, but that's more novelty than anything.

The game is a very interesting aggravating mess. It kind of sucks, (I don't meant just the things I talked about above either; the shooting system, stealth, cover system, and hand-to-hand combat are all pretty bad) you can see a good game hidden under all the bullshit, but it's also not so bad that I didn't finish it either. Although I almost did at one or two points. Despite Rockstar deincentivising you making your own fun in the open world, it can still be fun just fucking around in the open world.

Still really surprised they don't just let you actually run your farm in this game. This is the second game in which they give you a farm where it doesn't become a farm game. You can do more than last time, but it's also way under what it could or should be.

Been playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 off and on. On a gameplay level it's a pretty great simple turn based tactical game with a real-time element to it. Apart from the gameplay the story sections between the gameplay can get pretty annoying. There's a whole lot of them, and while these are fully voiced there is for some reason no option to just have these section autoplay like a normal cutscene. So instead of these little story sections playing like a fast cutscene, you'll need to press a button to advance what everyone says like it's a text only game; needless to say this can really drag out this part of the game. Preferably this non combat section would act more like the non combat management game sections of an XCOM or Persona game than what exactly they've went with here. But it is still a good game. Just a bit annoying when you're in the story stuff because of how much you'll be pressing a button to get through it, and the team management stuff at the camp is maybe a bit too simplistic for its own good.

You're not completely wrong about RDR2.   I found the hunting and fishing to be more zen like experiences than any kind of efficient way of progressing through the game. 

But, for all its imperfections, I still found the game to be immenently playable and addictive around chapter 3 and 4.   Lots of late nights/early mornings promising myself only one more mission. 

FWIW, the very best open world game I've played is Breath of the Wild.   Not perfect, but the complete freedom to play how you want (even to take on Ganon once you're off the plateau) was exhilarating.    Put more towns and things to do in the direct sequel and you have a perfect game.
Breath of the Wild makes me wish I had a Switch.
Immortals: Fenyx Rising is close enough to Breath of the Wild, and is available for all the systems. It's from the team that made Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which I liked a lot.
Git' in under mah belly!
(01-28-2021, 12:31 PM)simbob Wrote: Breath of the Wild makes me wish I had a Switch.

It's worth getting a Switch for that one game.
I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, the middle piece of the recent Lara Croft reboot trilogy, and it's really fun. Easily the equal of Uncharted at its best, it's delivering pretty much everything I could ask for in an action adventure game. It's all a bunch of mechanics you've seen in so many other games: waypoints, crafting, hitting switches to solve environmental puzzles. But it's been impeccably designed and I'm having a blast.

I had played the first in the series, and it was good enough, but this one is a big step up in every way. Sometimes, I just want to play something that's been well put together, even if it is a bit familiar. Maybe because it's familiar.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Yeah that one is nice.

After you're done don't be put off by all the negative reaction to the follow up, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I was and only bought the game way after release on a super sale, and it's arguably my favorite of the trilogy.
Git' in under mah belly!
I really liked that Shadow of the Tomb Raider kind of reverses the third act linear fight of the previous two games. When I got to that point I was like 'ugh, here we go again with this' and then it went a different way and I was like 'oh. cool.'
Shadow is a must play if you liked Rise. Turn off the UI hints and enjoy exploring the optional areas.
I'll certainly get around to Shadow. Like Rise, it's free through Playstation Plus.

Playstation Plus is going to keep me from buying a PS5 for a good long while, it would seem. Just looking over my backlog, there's a Lord of the Rings game, a Just Cause, a few Darksiders, a Yakuza, some God of War and Uncharted stuff, and like a dozen little Indie games that look interesting. And this month, Control.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Not just Control, but the Ultimate Edition of Control, so you get both DLC episodes and the next gen upgrade included. Just be warned, you can't transfer a PS4 save to the PS5, so you might want to consider holding off on starting Control until you get a PS5.
Git' in under mah belly!
Well, I don't lack for other options, that's for sure. If I was gung ho for Control, I'd have played it already.

Which is to say nothing of the backlog of discs I've acquired and never gotten around to. Sekiro, Kingdom Hearts 3, a few Telltale games, Soul Caliber 6, others. It'll have to be some new title that finally makes me break down and buy the next gen console. Or more likely, an accumulation of them.

Or maybe just a big cash influx. But given the way the world is going, that's not happening anytime soon.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Bro my backlog is probably way longer than yours, and I only compounded it tenfold by subscring to both Xbox Game Pass and PS Now for the first time each last October.

Overwhelming video game avalanche. Then not long after subscribing EA Play got rolled into Game Pass and added about 100 games in one day. Then there's rumors that Ubisoft's service will get rolled into it sometime soon as well. Oh my God.
Git' in under mah belly!
[Image: 9rc0zpwlmui61.jpg]

Currently playing Yakuza 7: Dragon Quest RPG Edition. It even has beast summons, crazy.
Git' in under mah belly!