Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tired Shit
(08-23-2018, 10:02 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: 1-2 reps at 405lbs is my all time. This was around 2012-13. I was an absolute monster. Only weighed 180-185 so I didn't look that big but man....I felt so good.

I've been lifting/powerlifting (a natty powerlifter, there are dozens of us) for 23 years.  In my entire lifetime I have seen maybe nine to ten people clear four plates (including myself) and none of them weighed less than 250.  And several of them were juicing.

For you to have natty-benched 405 pounds at a body weight of 180-185 isn't just impressive, it's world class.  And I don't mean top 1%, I mean like, maybe a handful of people in the history of mankind could possibly claim to have done that.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
I can't remember if it was one rep or two or just an attempted second. I didn't know it was such an unusual thing. I've never weighed more than 190. I've tried. I just can't get that heavy. 400+ (however much plus it was) was my crowning achievement. It's like I gave myself permission to slack after that. I hate that I did..

I wish to god now that I'd filmed it. Now I REALLY must do it again..
(08-23-2018, 01:43 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I can't remember if it was one rep or two or just an attempted second. I didn't know it was such an unusual thing. I've never weighed more than 190. I've tried. I just can't get that heavy. 400+ (however much plus it was) was my crowning achievement. It's like I gave myself permission to slack after that. I hate that I did..

I wish to god now that I'd filmed it. Now I REALLY must do it again..

You did not know that being able to benchpress significantly more than twice your body weight was an unusual thing?  You just rolled in at 185ish pounds, cleared four plates, and was like "huh, that was cool"?
So, tired shit:

Me. Work. Again.

My company sponsored a picnic and canoeing afternoon today (morale building, team building, etc.) I love canoeing so I signed up. Weeks ago. As late as Monday morning of this week, everything looked great. My one active project was due Tuesday, a full two days before the outing.

The customer then extends the due date to today. Of fucking course. (BTW, we'd asked for an extension weeks ago, only to be told no.) The team I'm supporting continues to fuck around in a 90+ document all the way through THIS MORNING.

Again, this is due to the customer at 6 PM today.

So they set up a conference call an hour before I'm supposed to depart for the outing to discuss the document. Looking at it, it's dogshit: in no way, shape or form should this be going to the customer today. Or tomorrow. Maybe next week.

The call goes until almost noon. I spend another 45 minutes making changes. The doc is still dogshit, I've missed the outing, and I've lost feeling in my toes thanks to the building's AC (I came to work dressed for being outside, shorts, sandals, t shirt).

There is no fucking reason for this except the team could not get its shit together. My work partner is also way to accommodating most of the time.

So I'm tired and pissed and I wanna yell at someone.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
No I knew it was exceptionally good. I just didn't know that it was like THAT. I didn't just stroll in and do it. I was feeling exceptionally good that day. I remember thinking on it real hard. Building up to it. Mentally I mean (mostly). We were mostly doing negatives that day leading up to it. And in the weeks before that doing 360-370 and getting like 3-4 reps for several weeks in a row here and there. And that day it was just like "let's try 400." And I got that rep. And felt so good about myself. I can't even remember if I ever attempted it again..

My workout partner at the time was a few months younger than me (don't know why that matters) and outweighed me by 70 pounds and he couldn't do it. He wasn't as dedicated as I was then though..
How was the gamma radiation on that day, Fraid?

And Michael: I feel your pain. I've been in similar situations before (and yes, I've missed an outing as well), and the shit always hit the fan on the following day when others finally realize that some team members have been absolutely fucking around in terms of delivering what they need to on time. I hope that tomorrow goes well for you, but I'd absolutely express my displeasure tomorrow that you got effed over because others didn't do their jobs.
I'd have worn a flotation device to work in protest.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
(08-23-2018, 01:50 PM)MichaelM Wrote: So I'm tired and pissed and I wanna yell at someone.

You should absolutely be yelling at people, Michael!  Starting with your over-accommodating other business writer.

And you should not go in tomorrow. I was similarly f*cked over a project this week, and I don't care if I'm here until midnight, its going out today and I'm taking my kids to the beach tomorrow.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

Yelling at her won't have the effect I want. Part of the problem is that she's overburdened herself with shit projects our boss keeps throwing at her. And we naively trusted the team when they originally said they'd have the document ready for us Tuesday COB.

I'm gonna apply lessons learned and push for her (and us together) to be way more vocal and pushy about teams meeting deadlines going forward. There really is no good reason for this; hell, they didn't even finalize the product set until Tuesday from what I can tell.

Yelling at them or their bosses won't do anything. Overall this is a good company but like most, it gives sales all kinds of leeway since they generate revenue.

I did tell the team in no uncertain terms that I didn't think this doc was good enough to be given to the customer but their goal, right or wrong, is simply to make it to the next stage to present in person.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(08-23-2018, 02:33 PM)MichaelM Wrote: ...it gives sales all kinds of leeway since they generate revenue.

This burns us on most of our projects.  Sales will tell the client that we'll make them a unicorn, and they'll absolutely botch the project estimation by not including anyone who actually develops code.  Once we enter the picture to actually deliver, we have to assess the project and tell the client that...with the time and budget allowed...we'll be able to deliver them a broken down mule with 3 working legs instead of a unicorn.  Then, the yelling starts.
(08-23-2018, 01:52 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: ....  And in the weeks before that doing 360-370 and getting like 3-4 reps for several weeks in a row here and there. .....

Repping 360-370 for 3-4 times at a body weight of 180ish is arguably more impressive than benching 405 once. 

Truly amazing stuff.
Damn . . . I'm winded and I've only been sitting and waiting for the last hour.
(08-23-2018, 04:19 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Damn . . . I'm winded and I've only been sitting and waiting for the last hour.

Out of idle curiosity I took a look at the natural (drug-tested) records for different organizations at around the 180 pound body weight. 

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articl...al-lifters

Depending on the organization, 365-385 pounds is the all-time NATIONAL RECORD benchpress at the 181 pound bodyweight.  Fraid, get back in the gym, because you unknowingly broke the national record by 20-30 pounds!
Well. I'm doing yoga tonight.
Apparently it's a dark room... relaxing yoga.
And my wife returned my pre workout stuff, LOL.
The guy at GNC asked her for the reason since he has to enter it unto the system. She told him I almost died... apparently he said nothing. That had me rolling
Holy fuck! THAT'S some motivation. I knew I should've had someone document it last time. I actually thought..."if I ever do 400, I'm filming that shit"...and then just didn't bother. Won't make that mistake again. That's motivating as hell..
Ha! Overlord’s so super jelly!
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

From what I've seen of his arms, he ain't got shit to be jealous about. He's way bigger than I could ever think about being..
(08-23-2018, 01:31 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 10:02 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: 1-2 reps at 405lbs is my all time. This was around 2012-13. I was an absolute monster. Only weighed 180-185 so I didn't look that big but man....I felt so good.

I've been lifting/powerlifting (a natty powerlifter, there are dozens of us) for 23 years.  In my entire lifetime I have seen maybe nine to ten people clear four plates (including myself) and none of them weighed less than 250.  And several of them were juicing.

For you to have natty-benched 405 pounds at a body weight of 180-185 isn't just impressive, it's world class.  And I don't mean top 1%, I mean like, maybe a handful of people in the history of mankind could possibly claim to have done that.

(08-23-2018, 04:14 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 01:52 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: ....  And in the weeks before that doing 360-370 and getting like 3-4 reps for several weeks in a row here and there. .....

Repping 360-370 for 3-4 times at a body weight of 180ish is arguably more impressive than benching 405 once. 

Truly amazing stuff.

(08-23-2018, 04:25 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 04:19 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Damn . . . I'm winded and I've only been sitting and waiting for the last hour.

Out of idle curiosity I took a look at the natural (drug-tested) records for different organizations at around the 180 pound body weight. 

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articl...al-lifters

Depending on the organization, 365-385 pounds is the all-time NATIONAL RECORD benchpress at the 181 pound bodyweight.  Fraid, get back in the gym, because you unknowingly broke the national record by 20-30 pounds!

I sense a bench pressing competition brewing.
How shall we calculate body weight vs max bench? Percentages?
Honor system or video evidence?
I purpose no benching shirts and all have to be done with a bench and 45 lbs bar. No smith machines.
I'm totally going to attempt it again. And when I do, I'm totally going to try to get the clearest video evidence I can. I'm so mad at myself for not doing it then. If I'd known..
(07-27-2018, 10:14 AM)martianman Wrote: The laughable(?) thing is I'm doing this Code of Conduct training thing right now, and there are parts talking about not bullying, intimidating, etc. in the work place, all of which this person has tried to do to me. I reported those incidents to HR, and was told "You should work with your boss and that person's boss to get it sorted out." And then I met with their boss and was told, "Oh, they're just really stressed out. Maybe you guys can start with a clean slate." I told them, so it's ok for them to talk to me like I'm some 17 yo at the Taco Bell that didn't take the trash out? You think after that day [of our clash] I went home and slapped my son and started a fight with my wife? No, I didn't, because they have nothing to do with the stress I was feeling. And this person is always telling everyone how they work 10-12 hours a day, and that no one is ever at the office when they leave at night--when I was told this, I said, that sounds like an issue for you, not for anyone else. They did not like that response. Lol.

So, I had a meeting with HR this past week and was told to open a Code of Conduct report on them, specifically for one thing that they did at that time a few months ago. I'm going to do that this weekend. I also know that another CoC report was done on them the week prior for a racially-related "joke" they made at the end of a meeting (not the first time it's happened). And I attended a meeting discussing the culture in our company and heard several other stories of similar people in groups and how difficult it is to weed those people out because other people protect them. We'll see what happens.
(08-24-2018, 12:47 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: I'm totally going to attempt it again. And when I do, I'm totally going to try to get the clearest video evidence I can. I'm so mad at myself for not doing it then. If I'd known..

Take it slowly and when I say slowly, I mean a year or more if necessary. Try not to let impatience make you push yourself too far , give your body the time and energy it needs to build the muscle to get back to lifting that weight.

I’d hate to see you getting an injury from this.
When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation. 
Oh no, as long as I've been outta the gym (regularly) I'm totally prepared for this to take a year, possibly years. I may not even be able to get that strong and stay that lean simultaneously at my age anymore. It might have to just be one or the other. But....I've always been a lean guy so, maybe I can pull it off..
Tired shit: the absolutely baffling proliferation of food advertising that more-or-less openly conflates wanting to eat something with wanting to fuck it. What coke-addled marketing executive keeps greenlighting these things? There's a Jack-in-the-Box commercial they keep playing on the radio all the damn time lately that has the company mascot making repeated suggestive references to his "bowls." Is the message supposed to be that eating at Jack-in-the-Box is like getting face-fucked by a puppet-demon?

Wait. Maybe that's just truth in advertising.
(08-29-2018, 11:56 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Tired shit: the absolutely baffling proliferation of food advertising that more-or-less openly conflates wanting to eat something with wanting to fuck it. What coke-addled marketing executive keeps greenlighting these things? There's a Jack-in-the-Box commercial they keep playing on the radio all the damn time lately that has the company mascot making repeated suggestive references to his "bowls." Is the message supposed to be that eating at Jack-in-the-Box is like getting face-fucked by a puppet-demon?

Wait. Maybe that's just truth in advertising.

Carls JR has had that as their go-to for years.
I always think about that scene in Watchmen (book) as Ozymandius watches a candy bar commercial with sexual overtones, and he comments on it being a sign of global decay.
Isn't there a Skittles commercial that was banned that is basically a dude jizzing Skittles all over some girl on their wedding night?
Yep.

https://youtu.be/G1JlcbrM28s

Probably not safe for work for most folks.

(08-30-2018, 08:50 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: I always think about that scene in Watchmen (book) as Ozymandius watches a candy bar commercial with sexual overtones, and he comments on it being a sign of global decay.

Moore was spot on about that and the popularity of nostalgia when there is a sense of crisis in the air.
(09-06-2018, 02:15 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Yep.

https://youtu.be/G1JlcbrM28s

Probably not safe for work for most folks.

THE FUCK?!?
Yeah, it's hard to believe that got made, let alone made it past the initial pitch meeting.

From what I read it was a spec ad created more to promote the company that made the commercial. I don't think Skittles even had anything to do with it.
That...doesn't really make it any less baffling.