Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tired Shit
Another HUZZAH for dumping the toxic job, Bradito. Here's to the new place being better for you.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Well, since we're already breaking out the champagne for Brad, I might as well crash the party:
(11-26-2018, 01:23 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Anyway, tired shit for me: being out of work and facing a probable last-minute cross-country move to impose on my family again (four years after having to do the same damn thing for the same damn reason.) I'm not even panicked or anything, just fucking exasperated that, no matter how many times I get settled in at a job and seem to be doing perfectly fine as far as anyone will tell me, I keep getting kicked back to square one.
...because, after getting surprise-"let go" at the tail end of October and spending the following weeks desperately scrambling to line up anything at all so I wouldn't have to scramble to pull together a move by the end of the year, I had a sudden flurry of activity on the job front in the last couple weeks, and I ended up getting not one, but two job offers.

The first I actually got about a week ago, but I wasn't exactly thrilled about the prospect - the pay was good, but in the interview my prospective supervisor was openly dismissive of my experience and skillset (I've only been doing professional IT support for over five years and freelance work for another ten before that, thankyouverymuch) to the point where I was honestly surprised they even made me an offer. And on top of that, they presented it clearly as a situation where you have to spend the first 90 days cramming through an exhaustive course on their product in order to pass an exam to be able to keep your job. If I hadn't been desperate to avoid finding myself homeless, I probably would've walked out of the interview when they called me "green" to my face.

But I was desperate, so I accepted it, only to find myself worrying about the possibility of them cutting me loose in short order, since I couldn't really figure out why they were hiring me at all if their attitude was any indication. Meanwhile, this other job that I'd interviewed for earlier I was still waiting to hear back on - the work environment seemed more comfortable, the long-term prospects and advancement opportunities were better, and they were actually respectful of my abilities, but after more than a week from the date they told me I could expect to hear back, I'd pretty much given up on the prospect when I got a message out of the blue this morning that they wanted to talk. Turns out they'd actually filled the role I'd interviewed for with another candidate, but they felt I was overqualified for it, and would I be interested in a slightly higher-level job?

So, yeah. Not only do I not have to spend December freaking out about an impending move, I get to work for an employer that actually seems to want me around. Between that and the accelerated implosion of the Trump administration, it's been a pretty good week.
Congrats on the new job, commo! It's always nice to have multiple offers, especially when one saves you from taking a less than desirable position.

I hope the move goes smoothly. Or is that done?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
The move, thankfully, doesn't even have to happen now. Which is good - part of me would like to head back east at some point (living in a state where "wildfire season" is a thing is...not optimal,) but I've still got some connections out here, and in any case I really wasn't thrilled about the prospect of having to pull it all together in the space of about three weeks.
I believe in you Bradito!

Nice work Commodore!
I keep lining up interviews while the deadline for me to accept my current offer is fast approaching; the guy even called me this afternoon to see where I'm at.

I had a second in-person interview yesterday afternoon that was the shits. They seemed so joyless and stern, I felt like I was in trouble the whole time. I also think their processes are flawed, and coming from my recent experience, I can pretty much assume they'll just keep doing things their way no matter what I recommend.
(39 minutes ago)bradito Wrote: I keep lining up interviews while the deadline for me to accept my current offer is fast approaching; the guy even called me this afternoon to see where I'm at.

I had a second in-person interview yesterday afternoon that was the shits. They seemed so joyless and stern, I felt like I was in trouble the whole time. I also think their processes are flawed, and coming from my recent experience, I can pretty much assume they'll just keep doing things their way no matter what I recommend.

But you've got folks posting their support for you online, so you have that going for you, which is nice, right?
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]