Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tired Shit
God, it's even worse when it's just an excuse for the filmmakers to talk about themselves. Sometime last year when I was visiting my parents, they spotted what was nominally a documentary about Calvin & Hobbes on their cable offerings. We didn't make it five minutes in; it was just a bunch of random people in my age group talking about how they felt about the comic. Gah.
So the other day I pulled up Youtube on a different browser (since my usual browser has about six million tabs open already,) intending to look at reviews/demos of music gear I'm thinking of buying. All well and good...but this browser happened to be signed into my backup, spam-catcher GMail account, which I never use for anything else, and I realized that, as dumb as Youtube's recommendations are normally, they're even worse when it doesn't have anything to go on. As a perverse little experiment, I decided to start training it in, not by searching for and playing stuff I am interested in, but by telling it to stop recommending everything I don't want. The results were equal parts hilarious and disturbing, as the window gradually shifted from "what everyone else is watching" through "basic-cable reality-show filler from five years ago" to "WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE, WHAT DO YOU EVEN WANT FROM US."

I could've just as easily put this in the Things That Make You Laugh Catch-all thread, but I figure it belongs here because it was more mildly horrifying and depressing to consider what is probably a representative sample of what the average person watches on Youtube. There are things on there that I'd expect to see as some sort of Grand Guignol farce in a John Waters film. Like, there are seriously people out there who film their labor and the birth of their actual child (very carefully-framed, I'm assuming!) and then put it up on Youtube for the general consumption and entertainment of the Internet? I think any given George Romero film conveys a less depressing assessment of the human condition than that one simple fact.
I turned off the recos because no matter how curated your viewership is on YouTube, eventually they'll try to sneak in some Rogan podcast horseshit.
I swear to God, I told it like five times specifically to stop throwing Joe Rogan at me and it was still throwing Joe Rogan at me.
(08-08-2020, 08:33 PM)bradito Wrote: I turned off the recos because no matter how curated your viewership is on YouTube, eventually they'll try to sneak in some Rogan podcast horseshit.

My 10 yr old son uses my YouTube account to watch whatever it is he watched. 

If he's typical, I fear for the future of The Republic.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
I'm out driving today and stuck in some minor stop/go traffic on the street. I'm stopped....hear the screech of tires....BAM.

Some motherfucker rear ends my truck. I'm thinking 'fuck'....look for a place to pull over....then see the assholes in one of those black Gig Car Share EV Chevy Bolts pull over into the left lane (I'm in the right lane) and keep going....!

Luckily, they pull up to a light that's red and they are in the left turn lane and stuck behind a car in front of them...they can't go anywhere. I pulled up behind them and take out my phone and snap some photos of the license plate.
Light turns green and they take off.....I followed them for a spell but then I think they see me following and they floor it...part of me wanted to go all Bullitt on them but I thought better of it.
Maybe it was overdoing it, but I did call 911 when they took off.

There's some minor damage to my truck and I seem to be feeling OK for now (airbags didn't deploy) but the front right corner of that Bolt, in the brief moment I saw it, was fucked up.

Contacted my ins. co. AND the Gig company.

Of course this shit happens on a Sat. when there's no one in the offices.

Also, FWIW I did get a pretty hefty whiff of marijuana as that scofflaw drove past me post accident....sure it might have been from somewhere else....but I think that gig car + marijuana = make a break for it.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
vtran that is indeed some tiring shit. I really hope you're able to hold them financially and legally responsibe.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(01-09-2021, 11:00 PM)MichaelM Wrote: vtran that is indeed some tiring shit. I really hope you're able to hold them financially and legally responsibe.

Yeah, I realize that in the grand scheme of things, this is relatively minor thing...especially given all the other batshit insane stuff going on right now but, fuck....it really isn't helping to stave off my slowing waning faith in humanity.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Totally understandable, and I'd be livid myself.

Glad you're OK, though, and weren't seriously hurt.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Sorry you have that to worry about too vtran. What with everything else collapsing into insanity and assholery.

One thing I've realized as I've gotten older...I swear, I think it's the little, aggravating things that'll push a person over the edge. When a bunch of shitty, unnecessary, everyday problems bottleneck on you and you're just "arrrrrggghh FUCK!" and feel like going totally postal. I know I do. It's the BIG problems that I find myself just getting really calm and logical and dealing with it. But little shitty things that just didn't have to happen? That's what'll push one to MADNESS..

"We need Kong. The world needs him." Godzilla vs Kong

"The world needs this symbol. We need a Cap.." Falcon and the Winter Soldier

We need different lines. The world needs them. Because this shit is getting old.

I mean....seriously..

This world is too needy.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
That's actually pretty true lol..

Went shopping for my 70 year old mother and when I get back with her groceries what do I find? The preacher from my aunt's church sitting at the kitchen table talking to her. Without a mask. My mom's too fucking nice. I told him "unless this is life or death or you have a mask you can put on I would appreciate if you could do this another time when you do have one. Or better yet, call." I think he thought I wasn't serious at first. But I did make him leave right then. There wasn't any extra ones that she had to give him or I just would've handled it that way. That shit is inconsiderate..