Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The CHUD Show/Movie Microscope Podcast Discussion
It’s
Ok.
Really glad that this was one of the rare positive zoom-ins...Just too damn bad the movie was a one-off.  Like you guys note, the acting, the writing, the action, all top-shelf.  The next book in the series, Black Cherry Blues, introduced the amazing Cletus Purcel, Dave's ex-partner and one of the best characters in crime fiction, but we never got there.

It's funny though, how Baldwin ducked out of the Jack Ryan series and several years later I'm pretty sure wanted to see this become part of a series.  I remember him speaking of the books with some affection all those years ago.  As Nick notes he showed Robicheaux's angst, humour, and physicality very well.

Just not sure 'destroyed' is strong enough to describe what happened to Kelly' Lynch's character.  And if anyone has a fondness for audiobooks, Will Patton does a *stellar* job on the Dave Robicheaux series.  One of the best narration jobs out there.

[Image: Chili%20Pie.jpg?itok=0D5Y2t6J]

Whither Bucho?
We recorded tonight.
Take that, Deakins.
"Hunger is the best spice, they say." 
Bad Girls at midnight.
The B.D. Wong segment is just killing me.
We have that in common. Still laughing about it. Smile
What I see is enthusiasm!
We we're really hoping to break the Internet with our BAD GIRLS ep.
The Bye Bye Man in 24 hours.
"Don't say it. Don't think it."
It’s up.
Your old buddy Bucho checking in ... I have to admit I'm three eps behind on my zooms although I did just skip ahead to The Bye Bye Man so I heard the news about Justin's dreamed comments. Speaking of dreams, the trailer for that movie gave me nightmares ... the source of said sleepterror being that my missus was making me watch the movie. I guess Justin chose it to get revenge on Nick for something. Or possibly for everything.

The Mobsters and Striking Distance eps were both A+ by the way. I don't remember ever seeing Mobsters, but I was one of those who flew the BO for Striking Distance to such dizzying heights in its time. I 1000% get that feeling of having to check in with oneself to find out if one actually still does like Bruno. I don't think I've seen anything he's done since whichever Expendables he was in last, but I do think fondly of so many of his 80s/90s flicks (including Hudson Hawk THERE I SAID IT).
All is right with the world again.

Well, at least when it comes to this podcast.
Midnight tomorrow night, REACH ME reaches you.

It's a movie I had to buy on blu-ray, have shipped to Justin, and then have handed off to me in a parking lot to execute this episode.

Maybe it's worth a comment or two on here?
Yep.
Listening now! You guys are on fire. The Kevin Connolly burns are top-notch.

Did I win??
Well, you always win when you listen to the "Scope." But if you're taking about the REACH ME giveaway, Nick is unwilling to part with his Blu. Which is sick.
I'm so disappointed. Or am I?
Goodie Goodie someone commented on the episode!

Oh.
My work here is done.
I've been plowing through eps while on vacation this past week. Particularly loved the Heaven's Prisoners, Mobsters, and Reach Me casts. The first two because I love to find out a movie I had avoided because I thought it looked stupid actually turns out to be a fun one - plus always great to listen when one or both of you really enjoys a movie. Reach Me for the opposite reason - it sounds so completely insane and it sets up some great bits. Cannot wait for the episode 100 blow out.

Seeing that we have Shakedown coming up tonight reminds me that I was once watching History channel when they cut to a professor who turned out to be one Peter Weller, professor of History at Syracuse. Fucking Robocop/Buckaroo Bonzai decided to side gig a professor role. There is no way I would have survived his class.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
I'm pleased to announce that the longest episode of Movie Microscope is next. 2 hours and eighteen minutes FOR NO REASON. On Shakedown. What a time to be alive.
Getting my earholes ready.
"I'm from the old school, I used to see men die for less - but I'm not livin' that way. I'll let my mic do the talking...and let the music play" - Joseph Conrad
It’s here! You made it!
Halfway through and love how much fun you both are having with this one. Lost my shit at the popcorn bit.

It's funny that you mentioned the scene where he's singing Purple Haze because I remember that moment so clearly. It was a key part of the trailer, I think, and I used to watch movie trailers on loop all the time. There was some channel that showed movie trailers all day, and that way my youtube.

Excited to listen the rest once I'm off this Zoom hell.
How did the rest go?
This is pretty much the only movie podcast I listen to where I couldn't care less what movie is being discussed. I haven't even seen most of them and probably won't. I think I could listen to you guys discussing cereal for two hours.
Uh....we talk a lot about Total cereal during The Irishman podcast, so....

Anyway, thanks for listening, chrknudsen! Smile
https://twitter.com/nicknunziata/status/...02181?s=21

Want to chat?
After the Reach Me episode I yelled at the ocean to deliver me 2 hours 18 minutes of Nick & Justin yapping about and around and in between the cheeks of Shakedown ... thank you Tom Berenger, you never let me down!
"It's the Return of Bruno...in my ass" jfc I'm laughing my ass off. Congrats on 100! You've been killing it the whole time but this is a special episode. So happy you put in a song for this one - they're always gold but this one is an especially great salute to 100. Old people putting on hair not to be like Bruce. Fuck yeah.

Love the energy and how you guys have been bouncing off each other the past few eps. Theyre long but they fuckin fly by.
We have room for maybe one or two more guests for our chat this Sunday. Email nicknunziata@gmail if interested
I have a spot at 8:30 and a spot at 9:30