Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The CHUD Show/Movie Microscope Podcast Discussion
Sort of along those same lines, I'd like to see the panel address the mechanics of adapting comics to screen, and the relative merits/problems with some of the approaches taken so far (the shot-for-panel literalism of Sin City, the animation in American Splendor, and those godawful panels in Hulk, to name a few).
So sayeth I:

- Who the fuck was breathing heavy into the microphone at the start of the show?

- "Why? Why did you take it back?" - Micah and Justin should have deadpan-off.

- "sounds like an original concept." - The deadpan. So great.

- "Hit us with your best shot, Nick." 1,000 points for that segue.

- "Go to your nearest frat boy?"

- They've should have just killed Ryan's mom. So harsh yet hilarious.

- Bryce Dallas Howard should henceforth be known as BDH.

- "When I'm in a theatre, I like to give VD to people." That's the phrase that pays.

What's he directing now?
Traffic.

I'm stealing that response.

- Seriously, the puns must die...except for Sky Cappin'.

- Sweeney totally opened himself for those great jokes at the expense of his bachelor party, so thanks to him. I think that may have been my favorite part of the show.

- Devin has a much higher voice than expected. I thought he would sound like he'd been ravaged by booze and cigarettes.
Questions for Episode 3:

1. What is your favourite movie soundtrack from the last 5 years and why?
2. If you could make a sequel to any movie, which movie would you pick and what would the sequel be about? Who would star?
Okay. Now I own the 1st show and I downloaded a bunch of crap into my computer (much of it probably unnecessary) so I could get Show 2.

Show 1 sounds better. It's cleaner. The hiss of Show 2 was distracting.

Otherwise, these are great! I for one am loving the puns. My only complaint on that front is that I think you guys are killing them off too soon. The Pawdcast/Alien Podcast puns were just coming around to being funny again when they were stopped. I love them. And Justin is the king. Don't let anyone say your puns aren't life-giving, Justin.

These are great conversations. I hope your seeing a lot of downloads as I'd like to see this continue.

Oh, and the whole "suggest an underliked or little known film" section should be the last bit of every show. That part yields great information and a lot of comedy.
Hey, love the show. I enjoyed Ep. 2 a bit more than Ep. 1, and thought that the Alien discussion was very insightful. Anyway, here are some possible questions I'd like to hear tackled:
1. How many comedies in the last five years have the possibility of being genuine classics, and deserve it?
2. What video game franchise would you like to see come to the big screen, given the appropriate director (in other words, no Uwe Boll) , writer, and actors?
3. Honesty, who has the better overall franchise: Jason, Freddy, Michael Myers, or Pinhead?

"Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes, we'll fight it and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. Cuz destiny is just another word for inevitable, and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'you're evitable!'" -Amy Acker
Fame at last!

Anyway...

I thought this episode worked better as an overall show than the first one. The scales felt like they were tipped more toward "movie show" and less toward "comedy show". Not to say it wasn't funny, but the humour was more integrated with the topics. There was more meat to it, and lots of great discussion. There were some moments where I got a distinct "you had to be there" feeling though.

The technical issues have been mentioned plenty, so I won't bother going over that.

I'm not convinced about the weird monologue bits. I preferred the random snippets of conversations in the first episode.

Favourite part: "Man in suit! Man in suit! Man in me!"

One thought regarding the idea of using snippets of movie dialogue etc - if you go to http://www.archive.org there are tons of public domain movies that you could rip stuff from, do audio cut-ups etc. Plenty of corny 50s sci fi, public information films but also stuff like NOTLD and some genuine classics. It's one way of doing it without spending a bean.
I've been re-listening to both episodes of the show over the last couple of days, and I'm curious of how you come up with the words you do in those commercials/self-help segments you do. Random word generator?

Anway, other questions I've thought of while playing with my jackalope bobblehead:

1. What kind of tv/movie vehicle would you like to see David Boreanz do now that Angel is long over? He's more than proven that he's got all sorts of talent, from the dramatic to comedic, and who knows if "Bones" is going to last during an era where the airwaves are so saturated with law/crime dramas?

2. Do you think that Christian movies will ever have any sort of mainstream success? I was so sure that after "The Passion . . ." there would be a number of Christianity-themed movies (Bible stories, I guess), but so far nothing. I'd say the closest things we've recieved to main-stream Christian movies are "Woman, Thou Art Loosed" and "Diary of a Mad Black Woman." Both of which, from what I've understood, sucked. Will Christian movies ever a) be mainstream, and b) be of a high enough quality to warrent being #1?3.

3. What sport is grossly under-represented in film?

"So, you're a freak. Boo-hoo. Get over it" - David Boreanaz
What do think of people who ask questions?
slug trail hahahaha.... that's so wrong yet hilarious.
Great show - incorporated all the humor of Ep. 1 but had much more focused discussions too. It was a good balance. And I don't know what "hiss" everyone was talking about. The only thing I heard was that someone (maybe Justin?) sounded like he was talking over a speaker-phone - everything else was gravy. Anyway guys, great job - lookinjg forward to Ep. 3
Episode Three is shaping out to be fun. It'll be long but in theory a lot of fun. The liquor is definitely a character on this one, with Steve, Kurt, and Myself sounding a little off at times. Kurt's mouth and the mic are sometimes distant relatives.
so when's it going up?

damnit, im addicted.
I LOVE that you guys have a podcast, you all even have good radio voices. Based on your site, there is no other group I'd rather hear discussing movies. OK, thats the good part... chud has a podcast.

The bad part is... well, so far it's like listening to people I don't know talking about their vacatation pictures. You spend so much time laughing at each other's inside jokes and compounding those jokes that there's almost no significant movie talk. There was a point in the first podcast where someone said something like, "I'd stop listening to us at this point". I agreed.

If I knew you guys personally, I'd likely eat it up but for me it's been like watching a movie with no editor. Basically, an endless stream of deleted scenes in a movie I REALLY want to like. Your articles show that you can get to a point eventually so I beg you to have that as a goal in the podcasts.

Maybe try having less people per cast (one or two at a time)? The stuff so far is almost impossible to listen to (and I say this as a huge fan).
I don't think that's fair. We actually talk about film for about 2 minutes towards the end of the second show.
I think you should do special. I think it would be fun if you recorded and commentry track for a movie and put that out as a podcast. Either do one whole movie or select scenes from various movies. You won't need the sound for the movie as you guys can describe whats happening etc. I'd buy that for a dollar.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Parker

I think you should do special. I think it would be fun if you recorded and commentry track for a movie and put that out as a podcast. Either do one whole movie or select scenes from various movies. You won't need the sound for the movie as you guys can describe whats happening etc. I'd buy that for a dollar.

I discussed this with Nick a while back. There may be legal issues to take care of before this could happen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffys

You spend so much time laughing at each other's inside jokes and compounding those jokes that there's almost no significant movie talk. There was a point in the first podcast where someone said something like, "I'd stop listening to us at this point". I agreed.

But, you know, if there's anything about movies that the average chewer doesn't know, they are going to pretend they do anyway.
There has been and there is going to be significant movie talk in these podcasts, but much like news on the front page, what sells CHUD and sets it apart is the personality and odd sense of humor. That means more than a day's serving of puns, tangents, and randomness.

That being said, I don't think there're too many "in-jokes," per se. It's almost all improv on the spot, and if we're laughing, it's due to something one of us said right then and there in the context of what was being discussed right then and there. It helps to be generally familiar with CHUD's sense of humor, but that's it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah Robinson

There has been and there is going to be significant movie talk in these podcasts, but much like news on the front page, what sells CHUD and sets it apart is the personality and odd sense of humor. That means more than a day's serving of puns, tangents, and randomness.

That being said, I don't think there're too many "in-jokes," per se. It's almost all improv on the spot, and if we're laughing, it's due to something one of us said right then and there in the context of what was being discussed right then and there. It helps to be generally familiar with CHUD's sense of humor, but that's it.

I agree completely, I like chuds style a lot, thats why I come here. Each article is a 50/50 split (very roughly) depending on the author. By that I mean, 50% "CHUD's sense of humor" and 50% movie content (the basic info every site is reporting) and it's a great balance to me. The podcasts on the otherhand are more like 95% chud humor and 5% movie info, that's the only issue I have.

I know it's early, having only done 2 (3 now I guess) so far, I'm sure you'll hit your stride. I just wanted to point out my concerns because of all the casts I subscribe to, this is the one I was most looking forward to.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Parker

Now that is a fucking fantastic idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L7 Productions

I discussed this with Nick a while back. There may be legal issues to take care of before this could happen.

As long as you don't broadcast any of the actual movie I don't see how there could be legal problems.

It's just, in essence, a few guys talking about a movie. The fact that you're watching the movie at the time and your discussion happens to be the same length as the movie can't possibly be stepping on any copyright issues.
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffys

I agree completely, I like chuds style a lot, thats why I come here. Each article is a 50/50 split (very roughly) depending on the author. By that I mean, 50% "CHUD's sense of humor" and 50% movie content (the basic info every site is reporting) and it's a great balance to me. The podcasts on the otherhand are more like 95% chud humor and 5% movie info, that's the only issue I have.

I know it's early, having only done 2 (3 now I guess) so far, I'm sure you'll hit your stride. I just wanted to point out my concerns because of all the casts I subscribe to, this is the one I was most looking forward to.

Noted. I appreciate the feedback, and we'll see what happens. Nick's the content programmer, and I'm sure he's reading this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by L7 Productions

What could possibly be illegal about that? If Nick and the gang decide to record a commentary and distribute it to an audience, there's nothing illegal about that. Since they're commenting on the movie, it's similar to a film review, which is covered under "fair use".

Not only is the recording itself legal, but fair use even allows them to use a few audio clips of the film in conjunction with the commentary. Not that adding sound clips would be a good idea, but it's possible nonetheless.
Podcast #3 is available for purchase HERE: http://www.cafepress.com/chud

And should be available on Itunes in a few minutes. If you are easily offended, may want to skip.
Crank up your iTunes (or other podcasting program) and enjoy Episode 3.

A brief snafu with Feedburner (we're trying to track stats) has caused us to temporarily disappear from the iTunes listings. We'll be back up momentarily. Hopefully, under "CHUD show," so that we don't disappear amongst all of the "the" broadcasts.

If you've already subscribed, it won't affect you. Your iTunes will download it automatically anyway. If you are subscribing for the first time, don't fret. Just paste this URL - http://www.chud.com/demo/CHUDSHOW/CHUDshowitunesRSS.xml - in the URL field under Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast in iTunes.
Downloading now, though, I think I'm going to leave this particular goodness for tomorrow as a wed pick me up.

Yay!
Damn Nick, I thought this was going to be a once-a-month deal. This is now the new steady leak. Keep 'em coming.
Re: the CHUD brand of humor -- what works in a three or four paragraph article (or even a lengthier Leak) can get a little wearying over the course of an hour of listening.
Downloading episode #3, I really like the dvd commentary thing, sounds really cool (but could be a lot of work).

Hey, not a big deal, but could you guys change the naming convention of the mp3 files and remove the spaces? The actual podcast URL looks a bit more complicated than it needs to be "http://www.chud.com/demo/CHUDSHOW/THE%20CHUD%20SHOW%203.mp3". I've seen a lot of people use "-" or "_" instead of spaces ...
Another good one. The "pick a random DVD off the shelf and talk about it" kind of dragged and went nowhere, but everything else was gold. The recurring Henson stuff was great.
Thanks for the 1:15 of good listening. The TIMECOP discussion was appreciated. If I have one gripe it would be that your discourse on MINDHUNTERS actually makes me want to check that film out.
I have to say I love this show and I can't wait for the updates. Keep it coming.

And Steve Murphy sounds just like Brad Pitt.
Try not using the word 'cock'. Just try it, you might like it.

In barely related news: a brief search for 'cock' on the Internet brought up this acronym:

PENIS Proton-Enhanced Nuclear Induction Spectroscopy (NMR technique)

I thought that was pretty cool.
This is the best thing to come out of CHUD yet. Keep it up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sly McFly

And Steve Murphy sounds just like Brad Pitt.

What's more impressive is that Helena Bonham Carter had Steve's abortion.

Love the podcasts. Thanks for taking the time to entertain us, and thanks Micah for taking care of the technical bits.

Question: If you could remake any film with today's technology and an unlimited budget what would it be?
Jesus, I'm a star, unlike my grammer.

By the way the show is awesome kickbox shitflagger!