Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOST: Season 2
Ever since they first introduced the hatch in the middle of Season one, I couldn't help but go into a "what's in the fucking hatch" rant a la Brad Pitt in Seven whenever the hatch appeared as a plot point. Seldom has a television show actually made me care about a mystery.

I still see only the silhouettes of people in that poster, not silos.

That oceanic website is pretty neat. Somewhat reminds me of the excellent Da Vinci Code game over at Dan Browns' website.

*Random thought: Anybody here ever seen the movie Cube? While the setting could not possibly be more different, there's something about Lost strikes me as very similar.
That poster is fucking awesome.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord

*Random thought: Anybody here ever seen the movie Cube? While the setting could not possibly be more different, there's something about Lost strikes me as very similar.

I definitely know what you mean. Similar idea, for sure.
Too bad David Fury is leaving this season. His eps were consistently among the best. Hopefully the show runners will add some talent to their staff for this new season, otherwise the show will lack more of those high points from season 1.
Looking forward to tonight. It's felt like its been a long time...
The shadows in the poster are people. It's harder to see in that version above but it was in the USA Today insert from the Sunday newspaper last weekend. I think it's the other group that is rumored to be introduced.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweaterbydarwin

The shadows in the poster are people. It's harder to see in that version above but it was in the USA Today insert from the Sunday newspaper last weekend. I think it's the other group that is rumored to be introduced.

Yeah you can sorta make them out in the shot above, but that photo is in the new EW, and it's clear as day that it's people.
I have no self control with spoilers. If you are like me but want to remain fresh for tonight's show, DO NOT go to AICN. They have a very detailed episode summary that you will instantly regret reading.
Ditto. Was just about to post that myself. I. . .I couldn't resist because I may be out of the house when it comes on tonight.

Sounds like a real mindscrew ep. And to echo one of the Talkbackers on AICN, tonight's ep (if the spoiler is true, and probably is) should have been the season finale.
Thanks for not talking about it or ruining it here.

Oh, and warning us about AICN. I avoided highlighting the text just now, but i still have several hours till the show, so i might have gotten impatient.

Thanks again for the warning.

So, as tonight's the night, I guess this is my last opportunity to post a little collection of notes and thoughts I had while re-watching season one on DVD. Here they are:

The whole island might be a machine.

- locke predicts the rain . . . perhaps thats cause he knows the pattern of "sprinklers".

- the monster seems to be mechanical, and uproots the trees as if it were constantly redesigning the landscape.

- in pilot charlie says "is it normal, day turning to night, end of the world type weather?"- when it suddenly starts pouring (which is like the immediate downpour on locke and boone when locke predicts it.)

- There is a hatch with a ladder leading underground.

- Sayid "trying to make something of rousseaus maps" . . . Locke replies "nothing to make". . . . if the island constantly changes, and locke knows this, that would be a perfect response.

-Songs lyrics on map could be a hint that the island changes according to a pattern, like a song, and perhaps Rousseau uses the song a device to help her remember....

- black rock is in the middle of the jungle, nowhere near shore . . . could be more evidence of island changing.

-territoire fonce- the french phrase rousseau uses to mean dark territory. Fonce means darken as in obscured, like unknown- NOT necessarily as in evil.

-Rousseau says " the monster is a security system, like that of any other, meant to protect something . . . the island". If the island changed, that could be a good security system.

And finally, a little collection of locke good vs. evil points.

BAD:

Locke convinces sayid that sawyer could have hit him over the head (even though it was locke, as we later found out) using a time delay light fuse - this starts off a chain of events and anger from sayid toward sawyer that climaxes with sayid torturing sawyer for something he never had, and results in Sayid leaving the group because he feels he wasnt himself, and had done something awful.

Hurley confronts Boone about the lack of boars they've caughtpoints out they havnet brought in anything in a week for anyone to eat (while boone and locke were pretending to be hunting, they were actually digging up the hatch), and tells boone that "this isn't a game man." -When boone tells locke about his conversation with hurley, locke shurgs it off, and says "what were doing is very important."

While boone hunts with locke, he becomes a somewhat differnt person, often giving evil, scary looks, like at sayid and his siters budding relationship/friendship, and in general becoming much less innocent than he seemed in the beginning eps.

Locke drugs boone.

Locke got boone killed, and even later admitted it was a sacriffice to the island.

GOOD:

Charlie says he saved my life, and hes the only person id trsut to get us off the island.

Saved Walt.

Hes found and opened the hatch, seen the monster, and lived to tell.

Locke was so blinded by the plane, he didnt really even think about boone having blood on him and what that might mean (in the vision).

his character has such a tragic past it would seem unfitting or uncharacteristic if he turned out to be evil.

Like Jack, Locke has shown great leadership and rallied the troops, and given speeches.

EDIT: couple more random notes i made while watching:

rousseau said she heard the numbers playing from a radiotower near the blackrock. What is a radio tower doing there? and does the original recording of the numbers still exist?

there was a map open in the front seat of the drug plane that locke and boone found.

sawyer reading wrinkle in time, a book described by some as a religious allegory.
I'm eagerly anticipating tonight's season premiere as well. Sounds like it is going to be pretty good.
Well that explained that mystery!!!
Kinda guessed the ending there but damn, is it next Wednesday yet? Please???
Yeah, that was kind of obvious. But still very amusing.

Oh, and did anyone notice in the very beginning of the flashback, when they brought in the victims of the car crash, the man who died was named "Rutherford"?
A couple things:

--That was one HELL of an opening.

--Jack was into wigs when he was younger.

--Rule #3,465: Never, ever say "I promise" when trying to calm people down.

--The Scottish/Welsh/British guy (Desmond) looks kinda like Alan Cumming.

--Anyone else think "Wiggle Your Big Toe" during Jack & whoserface's emotional discovery of her nerves?

--You're alone, tired, dissheveled and on a strange island. You've descended into a mysterious tunnel, only to have someone blare Mammas & the Pappas at you. I'd freak out too.

--NEXT WEDNESDAY NEEDS TO BE HERE FIVE MINUTES AGO.
I really enjoyed that episode.

Make your own kind of music... Catchy song. Heh.

I liked the reveal of the hatch (nice digs!), Jack's flashback was awfully interesting (his patient was obviously his future wife from last season), and the ending was great- with a cliffhanger which makes me really impatient for next episode.

I noticed the "Rutherford" patient too...I guess it could have been Shannon's father or some other relative. Yet another connecton in the flashbacks.
Love this show. Another cool bit...the numbers the dude was putting into the computer...Yeah, those numbers.
Its odd that everything in the hatch is on 1960's-70's level technology but hes got a brand spankin' new whirlpool front loading washer and dryer.
Oh yeah, that scene with Walt was damn creepy too. Especially since I think whatever he was saying might have been out of sync with his mouth.
Anyone catch what he said?
Some dude on the Television Without Pity forum thought he was saying "Redrum." Freaky.

Where's Matt Goldberg and all the other regular Losties around here?
AHHHHH Sweet, sweet TV, you return to me.

Wow, that was a cool intro and a very exciting ending! I'm really kind of overwhelmed by the Desmond connection and his potentially miraculous powers right now, but I wanted to post say I dug it. There was way more Jackback stuff than I would have expected, but hey, I guess you have to fill in your hero's story as much as possible.

Gaaaah... what kind of race around the world was he on?

How long ago was her car crash and recovery?

Has Desmond been there for the full 16+ years?

ANSWER ME, TELEVISION!
Wow, that was the first truly properly-done cliffhanger for this show. Give us new information, drop a bombshell, and set up a situation where things HAVE to move forward next week. Good.

I'm happy to see that they've introduced a technological component to the island now. I had a feeling they weren't going to force the characters (or actors) to go 5 years without a shave.

Certainly this season has every indication of being more satisfying than the last. I guess you never know, though.

Oh, a final note: Michelle Rodriguez was listed as part of the cast, but unless I missed her she wasn't in that episode. (Of course, neither were Josh Holloway, Harold Perrineau of Daniel Dae Kim.) Anyone else get the feeling they were hoping to get a two-hour season opener?
What a crazy show.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thalasi

Its odd that everything in the hatch is on 1960's-70's level technology but hes got a brand spankin' new whirlpool front loading washer and dryer.

yea, that confused the shit out of me.
Aw, man, that opening was NUTS. I flipped my shit, big time.

Yet my question remains unanswered... what does pirate MC Gainey was with a black kid? Kinda disappointed everytime we went to a Jack flashback, as I really wanted to see what happened to them.

And what the hell is that guy doing in the hatch? What IS the hatch? Ack ack ack, driving me nuts!

I an only a recent LOST devotee, but man have I been sucked in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JuddL

yea, that confused the shit out of me.

Its called a blatant product placement.
Ok, so what the hell was Walt saying? I've listened to it over and over and it sounds like "There's no one else here" to me. Where is here, with the survivors or with the hairy guy? Seems like he used Vincent to lure her out there in private...

The numbers also show up on Desmond's medicine bottles and it looks like its the combination to his safe too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thalasi

Are you talking about the ones that you see when he is doing pull ups or the close up of his clothes tumbling? I couldn't tell you how old the ones in the back when he is doing pull ups are, but I had a washer and dryer like that in my home in the early 80s and we were not ahead of the times.

As for the tumbling, laundromats have had dryers like that my whole life.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Prankster

Oh, a final note: Michelle Rodriguez was listed as part of the cast, but unless I missed her she wasn't in that episode. (Of course, neither were Josh Holloway, Harold Perrineau of Daniel Dae Kim.) Anyone else get the feeling they were hoping to get a two-hour season opener?

Yeah, I think they were, cause it seemed weird to me that they would ignore the whole raft situation completely.

And I like that the episode's title can be construed as a twist. Kinda cool.

I, too, am excited to hear this Desmond guy speak.
What I hate most is the fact that people with regular TV's get the full frame episodes. Is that correct?

Do I need a 16x9 to watch it in widescreen? Is that the only way?
Well done episode. Hooked again!

The control room was actually exactly what my feverish imagination pictured...except...there was no horribly disfigured robed maniac screeching commands and saying "everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen"... (I am only slightly kidding).

Excellent, excellent.
What Walt says.......BACKWARDS

http://www.foxmod.com/lost/Walt.mp3

"Where is the button.....The button's bad."
Loved it. The Hatch scene with Kate was nicely done. I would also have to agree that they managed to solve one plotline to open up an even more appetizing one.
FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Although, I agree with someone who said that the opening of the episode would have been one helluva cliffhanger to end last season.

Either way, the show just stuck its claws deep into me and I am happily being dragged forward with it. Finally some answers, some new mysteries, Hurley revealed the numbers to jack.

Are we sure that Desmond was typing in the "numbers" to the cpu?

As far as the laundry machine, I too remember seeing those as far as 20 years back. The only thing that seemed slightly out of place to me was the silverware. It seemed kinda modern looking. That whole scene was really kind of trippy. I thought it was a Jack flashback, but then the hatch fell in and it was really awesome to see him go to his locker full of guns.

As far as who desmond is...I for one get the feeling he is some sort of bizarro Jack. He sort of looked like him, at least the flashback version of jack. He talked about "almost being a doctor". They were both running the stadium. He talked about a race around the world. And of course, "see you in another life". My half cocked guess right now, he is some sort of new age healer who tapped into dark powers aka the numbers and to protect the rest of the world some other force found a deserted island put him in this hatch underground to keep whatever pandora's box he opened up from plaguing the world. I am guessing Hurley's friend in the psych ward who originally used the numbers was probably involved in putting the guy away.

The magnetism that Jack saw down there was interesting too. Maybe thats what drew the plane there?

Jesus christ this was good. Fuck all you doubters.