Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin's Requiem
Quote:

Originally Posted by aine_grrr

You have provided the best laugh of the day. It makes you feel more superior to know that what you do as a sub-culture group is more important and significant than what others do.

Good laugh...more responses like this will only serve to make this day better.

What the hell are you talking about? I was merely telling you what I felt was the difference. I never said either was superior. I said that I felt "The Browncoats" were more of a sub-culture than Chewers or Chuddies. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a sub-culture. Sub-cultures are generally long standing and impact the way that the participants act in their lives. For example surfers often are cited as a sub culture. I would say that Chewers or Chuddies instead comprise an intellectual membership group. That isn't even an exact nomenclature.

You really need to stop taking everything as an insult.
Isn't labelling yourself as one these mythical 'Browncoats' a little like what Countess Anna did when she dressed up as Richard Roxburgh ?
This entire situation is just great, and might I say... more entertaining than Firely/Serenity itself.

Joss Whedon playing Mother Hen and protecting his precious "Browncoats" from Devin's supposedly "hateful" attacks is one of the most hilarious things I have witnessed around here in a long time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcujoI

What the hell are you talking about? I was merely telling you what I felt was the difference. I never said either was superior. I said that I felt "The Browncoats" were more of a sub-culture than Chewers or Chuddies. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a sub-culture. Sub-cultures are generally long standing and impact the way that the partipicants act in their lives. For example surfers often are cited as a sub culture. I would say that Chewers or Chuddies instead comprise an intellectual membership group. That isn't even an exact nomenclature.

You really need to stop taking everything as an insult.

I think he thinks "intellectual" means all smart and clever and stuff, rather than merely deliniating something as neither "societal", "cultural", "ethic" or other.
I still says Chud is just a friggin' website.
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbelithbomb

I work at a theater as a projectionist. Serenity was a mandated trailer on at least 6-9 prints out of the 20 theaters on any given day. It was actually the attached trailer to 40 year Old Virgin.
So there's that.

So I was either watching the "wrong" movies or I wonder if perhaps smaller markets get different trailers. I however live somewhat out of the "big city" (where much of the US population does) and never saw a trailer.
Sorry if this has been brought up again since Devin's original comment (I read the first 30,000 posts and then got bored with the squabbling), but has anything more been mentioned about the vast amounts of early screenings? From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the only way to find out about an advance screening is through one of the fan websites. If that is the case, doesn't that mean a good chunk of the fans already saw this before opening weekend? How many of these fans paid up to see it again?
As a weird "other side of the coin" thing I want to mention...My wife and I forst saw the trailer before Land of the Dead. My wife didn't know about Firefly, much less that Serenity was a Firefly movie. I thought the trailer looked pretty bad. But when it was over, she leaned over and said "I want to see that!" Keep in mind, she's not a Sci-Fi geek, either. She, an average film goer, wanted to go see this sci-fi movie based on that trailer. But then again, she said the same thing when we saw the Stealth trailer. So there you go.
I do think it is worth noting that many of the names I see blaming fans for the lackluster box office are the same names that were popping up in those mind-numbingly dumb Star Wars/Serenity debates back in May.
Jesus Christ...I click on aine_grrr's initial post 2 minutes before I'm due to leave work.
"Ho ho!", I say to myself, "This'll 'cause some rucktions!!"; but just for shits and giggles, I refresh said post...4 people have posted in like 45 seconds...
I return home, avoiding the computer for 2.5 hours, only to find the thread ridiculously bloated by 90+ posts of absolute bollocks...there are some posters in this forum who REALLY need to re-evaluate their lives!
Quote:

Originally Posted by PodBayDoor

I do think it is worth noting that many of the names I see blaming fans for the lackluster box office are the same names that were popping up in those mind-numbingly dumb Star Wars/Serenity debates back in May.

You're a good kid, PodBay. I like you. But don't drag this thread down that dark, dark corridor.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Cunningham

Joss Whedon playing Mother Hen and protecting his precious "Browncoats" from Devin's supposedly "hateful" attacks is one of the most hilarious things I have witnessed around here in a long time.

How is it funny? I think it's cool anytime a creator steps up to defend his fans against attacks, real or imagined.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Helix

You're a good kid, PodBay. I like you. But don't drag this thread down that dark, dark corridor.

Believe me, I have no interest in re-igniting that nerd supernova. But I think it's interesting that many of the people claiming that "everybody on the internet hates Serenity nerds!" are perhaps engaging in little more than schadenfreude against their former sparring partners.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Straxboy - An Anthony Hickox Film

Isn't labelling yourself as one these mythical 'Browncoats' a little like what Countess Anna did when she dressed up as Richard Roxburgh ?

Yeah, but Countess Anna was/is HOT!!
(yeah, I'm blind, have NO taste and think 'Van Helsing' ROQUE'D!!!)

(...oh, and I'm pretentious, too...)

(...and a friggin' liar...)
I don't know if anyone's really claiming that. I know SW fans are ridiculed beyond belief, and Trekkies are still universally known as basement-dwelling virgins, and there's been no real change in that. Although Anya is one of the most unbelievably annoying people I have ever seen on the internet, and seeing what CHUD alone has been through in the time I've been here, that's saying a lot.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I went to Serenity this weekend and was really impressed. I'd seen probably two of the episodes on TV the past couple months and decided that it was worth checking out.

The advertising for Serenity was kind of lame. Universal wasted how much money on the lame documentary about how crazy the fans are for 'The TWENTY' or whatever that bullshit is they show before the movie starts.

Saying "you should go see this movie because there are insane freaky people who really like it" isn't a huge selling point. I think it should have done better than it did (and I think, so did Devin).

I think that in this case, the movie might do better next weekend because lots of people who went to go see it this week might try to take their friends who initially rejected it this past weekend. I know I'm going to take my GF to go see it when I visit her in two weeks.

Still, for Whedon to call Devin's article a "hate bomb" is kind of ridiculous. I mean, when Devin hates something it usually involves swear words and lots of insulting comments. I mean, look at any post he has about Rob Schneider.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark

We garden variety scifi fans didn't skip Serenity this weekend as a way to spitefully stick it to Browncoats.

I did, but that's because I'm a petty asshole.

But even so, I wasn't ever very interested in it to begin with. I wouldn't even consider myself a very strong modern sci-fi fan, being primarily disposed to WARS and little else.
From Whedon:

Quote:

You guys did an amazing thing this weekend -- and the exit polls showed how much you guys were out there, and how much business you dragged in with you.

Do the exit polls show something other than the box office reports?
Devin's editorials on Serenity are fairly even handed and spread blame around wherever it deserves to go. I think Joss is in the position of having to shepherd the flock a bit here, which is natural because the Whedon-geek backlash is real and fairly obnoxious. The whole thing is like a feedback loop. Whedon fans hate to be told their favorite writer is a hack, or etc... AICN Talkbackers hate to be told what the geek gold standard should be.

Personally, I am not quite the Firefly fanatic I thought I was, since this whole thing has turned me off slightly. Still like the movie a whole lot though. Still hoping for a sequel in some form or further Whedon success in other filmed properties.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewlett

Do the exit polls show something other than the box office reports?

I assume he's saying that those who DID go to the film were almost all "Browncoats" or people they dragged along with them. Which is obviously correct.
Quote:

This entire situation is just great, and might I say... more entertaining than Firely/Serenity itself.

Said the guy with the personalized Star Wars license plate.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pop Zeus

I think Joss is in the position of having to shepherd the flock a bit here

Exactly, he's just rallying his base. Apparently it's worked, looking at Whedonesque and how fair Joss was to Devin and how amazing it is that he's so gracious to Devin's after his seething ball of hate of an editorial, which was no doubt also a death threat to every Browncoat's own mother
By the way Devin, great way to promote the site. You should get a raise for bringing in this much traffic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Davis

Said the guy with the personalized Star Wars license plate.

Unnecessarily ass-headed cheap shot... but I'll roll with it.
The reaction to this reminds me of the junkyard dog in STAND BY ME. To all the normal folks, what Devin's editorial stated made sense.

To the Whedon fans, it might as well have said "Chopper, sick balls."
Quote:

Unnecessarily ass-headed cheap shot... but I'll roll with it.

Couldn't resist pointing out the irony of a notorious apologist for one franchise disparaging the creator and fans of another for doing the same...
You know what's really sad? The fact that all of you are using a Devin V. Wehdon debate as a beard, as we all know your main goal is to build your post count!

And with that... I am outta here. Exit stage left...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fett

You mean besides ALIENS VS PREDATOR, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, I, ROBOT, THE MATRIX et al?

Actually, I'd argue the mainstream would rather embrace most randomly named sci-fi movies than Star Trek, which still has the stigma and has long since been a money puller the way it was before.

Well, three of those are fairly large exceptions: Aliens and Predator were more horror films than sc-fi, Day After has highly debatable science and is more of a disaster film (might as well call Twister sci-fi), and I Robot had Will Smith fronting it.

But I was refering more to the spaceships and lasers side of things.
Far better flicks have been screwed far worse at the box office.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Davis

Couldn't resist pointing out the irony of a notorious apologist for one franchise disparaging the creator and fans of another for doing the same...

I can't figure out if this is Apples meeting Oranges... or Asshole meeting Keyboard. Probably both.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson

Well, three of those are fairly large exceptions: Aliens and Predator were more horror films than sc-fi, Day After has highly debatable science and is more of a disaster film (might as well call Twister sci-fi), and I Robot had Will Smith fronting it.

But I was refering more to the spaceships and lasers side of things.

So.. your post SHOULD have read...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson

And your mainstream audiences won't embrace sci-fi with spaceships that aren't kinda horror movies or disaster movies with no big name actors, unless there's a "Wars" or "Trek" in the title (and I don't put super-hero films in with sci-fi, by the way, for some reason, even though they're weird genre pictures, too), no matter how much of a phenomenon they're told it is. So, in closing, mainstream audiences really hated Chronicles of Riddick, thus proving my point.

I am perplexed at how poorly it did at the box office myself. I loved the movie, and saw it because I'm a Whedon fan. Of course I also saw it at Matinee.

Here are my ideas for why it didnt do as well:

1) Regal Cinemas were showing movies on Sat. Morning for $3. Any movie before 11:30 am was $3. I'm not sure if this was a national event or not but from what I understand ALOT of people saw early movies on Saturday in my area. Wouldnt that cut earnings? (Again I'm just guessing.. I don't know how the box office works)

2) TELEVISION is too good this season. I spent most of my weekend watching all the stuff I DVRed.. I just made time to see Serenity. I'm sure there are a lot of people who decided to forgo the cinemas for their stash of TV recordings.

Every website I visit on a daily basis has had nothing but positive things to say about Serenity. I'm hoping the word of mouth continues to spread and makes this movie bounce back.
I'm not reading all two billion posts, but what exactly is the argument here? Everybody with half a brain and even people like me know this thing will make it's money back on video. Whether that guarantees sequels, probably not. Kudos to Devin though for prompting an AICN style bitchfest. Well, I guess it's not that bad. As far as I know, Kevin Smith isn't trolling the boards.
Why are people wasting time with "Flightplan", when "Snakes on a Plane" is less than a year away?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balmudo

Kudos to Devin though for prompting an AICN style bitchfest. Well, I guess it's not that bad. As far as I know, Kevin Smith isn't trolling the boards.

There is not nearly enough bigoted, childish, moronic, and hatefulremarks for this to be a AICN talkback. However, if Whedon starts answering everyone's post, that would be cool.