Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
For the past couple years I always told myself that I was going to buy this movie before Thanksgiving and every time I slipped up. This year I rectified this situation and it still holds up as one of the better road movies around, and I think the best that Steve Martin and John Candy have been on film.

Watching it after many years there's a few smaller gags that stick out now. Stuff like the trashy paperback Candy is reading titled "Canadian Mounted," Dylan Baker as the hick who drives the pair to the train station, and the indent Martin's fingernails make on the dashboard after their near death experience on the freeway.

What I love about this movie is that it's pretty tame content wise for almost the entire film. But then all that is thrown out the window when Martin lays down a slew of F-bombs at the rental car agency. I don't think many comedies would brand themselves with an R-rating these days to include such a great moment.

The ending could have come off as overly sappy but it was handled just right. Normally I like comedies to stay on course with the laughs but in a film about getting home for the holidays the conclusion to PLANES doesn't feel forced at all.
"Those aren't pillows!!!"
That scene will never get old.

The look on Martin's face when they first get into the room and he sees that there is only one bed is priceless.
One of my favorite movies of all time, (look at my screen name).

I quote this movie endlessly during the day and watch it every Thanksgiving.

"People train don't run out of Stubville, 'lessen you're a hog or a cattle."

Del endlessly clearing his sinuses before he goes to sleep in a bed where he left beer on a vibrating bed.

The end, I think was handled just right.

I love this movie.
"Did you see the Bear's game last night? Hell of a game..."

This is a great line to use in any sort of awkward situation. But the film's popularity must be fading because I get a blank look sometimes.
Whole movie is great. Another great entry by Hughes.
"Hey, if I wanted a laugh, I'd follow you into the bathroom and watch you take a leak."

-Whack-

It's crazy how many memorable scenes there are in this movie. And each one is pertinent to the story, not just added because the joke is funny. So many funny scenes, and ended with one of my favorite feel-good endings ever.

You don't get too many of these good comedies anymore. Too much gross-out comedy these days.
"Larry Bird doesn't do as much ball handling in a night, than you do in an hour."

"You broke the seat. You fiddled around with it until you broke it."

"How do you break a seat. It's impossible."

and my favorite intro line ever:

"Del Griffith. American Light and Fixture. Director of Sales. Shower-curtain ring division."

the airplane scene is great too. Del taking his shoes off, then his socks. Neal Page's looks are priceless.

"If you ever catch me running off at the mouth, just bust me in the chops. There's nothing I hate worse than an annoying blabbering mouth who doesn't know when to shut up."

"What do you think the temperture is?"

"One"

The great joke there is that at the beginning of the movie, Neal leaves his gloves in the office and say's before getting into the elevator that he doesn't need them. That he'll just get in a cab, get in the plane and then be home. Here he is, sitting in the back of the pickup and trying to get an old pair of gloves from a frozen dog.

Another favorite line:

"We'd have better luck playing pick-up sticks with our butt cheeks than getting a flight out of here before daybreak."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith

One of my favorite movies of all time, (look at my screen name).

When I was watching it a couple days ago it finally hit me that this was where you got your SN from. I just hadn't made that connection earlier.

Another little touch I enjoy is when they're in the airport and the first flight to Chicago is grounded in Wichita. Ben Stein is the guy who states the flight is cancelled and after he announces this he flashes this little smile that was just perfect. Stein is one of a few other BUELLER cast members that pop up in this movie.
The scene with the Car Rental Lady is one of one of alltime favorite comedy bits. And as a symphony of profanity, only Alec Baldwin's sales tirade in "GlenGerry Glen Ross" is better.
WHat makes the scene so great is that we have all been there. Myabe not with a car rental agency, but some other situation where we have been screwed over and want to take it out on somebody.
The remarkable thing is that it's been 18 years since Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, 10 since John Candy died, and Martin has produced almost nothing in the way of decent comedy. Maybe Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Bowfinger come close. A couple of good dramas, but shit in the way of comedy. The funniest stuff he's done has been on Letterman.
Great movie with a tender heart at its core. Gets me misty just thinking of the end.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subotai

The remarkable thing is that it's been 18 years since Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, 10 since John Candy died, and Martin has produced almost nothing in the way of decent comedy. Maybe Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Bowfinger come close. A couple of good dramas, but shit in the way of comedy. The funniest stuff he's done has been on Letterman.

Bowfinger is great, but half the credit goes to Murphy for the last funny role he's done.
It is funny, but I have a low tolerance for these inside Hollywood flicks.
"You're going the wrong way!"
'"Ahh, he's drunk. How would he know where we're going?"

Love it.
Bummer.
In Memorium: John Hughes' best movie.
Absolutely. What a great filmography.
On the bright side, we're getting a "Those Aren't Pillows!" Edition with new lame cover art:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...tomobiles.html

Bet I'm gonna blubber even more than usual when I watch this again in November.
For some reason I always the picture of Candy's wife to be his wife from The Great Outdoors.

What a great, great movie.
Umm, Don't You Forget About Me...

That's as sentimental as I'll get, fellas.
Fuck me, Hughes just died.

http://www.seattlepi.com/movies/1402...it_hughes.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by Louris
View Post

"You were a little slow that time."
Damn, 59 isn't that old at all. He was one of my favorite filmmakers. Very sad news indeed.
The only thing that's ever really soured me on the tirade scene is that Hughes does the exact same thing in Vacation and Christmas Vacation. It's a good trick, but a trick nonetheless.

I do love this film though, and Molti was right in saying that a PG-13 comedy would never bump up its own rating for the sake of one short scene these days.

He burned a lot of bridges in his career, but the dude was on fire for a while.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti
View Post
On the bright side, we're getting a "Those Aren't Pillows!" Edition with new lame cover art

Can we have a moratorium on goddamn stupidly named special editions like this?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth
View Post
In Memorium: John Hughes' best movie.

Seconded. It's so well-made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti
View Post
On the bright side, we're getting a "Those Aren't Pillows!" Edition with new lame cover art:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...tomobiles.html

Bet I'm gonna blubber even more than usual when I watch this again in November.

That's exactly what I was thinking... This will be a sad year to watch this. Similar to how it was when Candy went... Not as bad. Because that time I couldn't even watch it.

That cover is atrocious. What's wrong with the original one-sheet?
Paramount does that a lot with their "Collector's Editions," especially their comedies. Guess they want people to feel like it's a new movie being released or some shit.

For example, the CE cover of COMING TO AMERICA:

PERFECT.

There are few movies I can watch over and over like this.

AND every time, I find something new to laugh at that had previously slipped by.

Tonight, it was when Del yells at the dog in the back of the pick-up.

"Give him the Goddamn gloves!"

<br />

This is my favorite John Hughes movie and I think his masterpiece. And it only gets better with age. Everything works so well that I wish there were comedies today on the same level of this.

I revisited Planes,Trains,and Automobiles yesterday. Steve Martin's tirade at the car rental agency gets me every time.

Something I never noticed hit me during this year's viewing.

When they get to St. Louis and Del starts selling shower curtain rings to folks, he eventually sits down at the diner with Neil. Way in the background there is a lady, who wasn't in the previous montage, wearing shower curtain rings on her ears. Nice touch.