Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMA Thread (UFC, Pride, K-1, etc)
AKind of a shame really. If there was another elite MW Georges could face without being dwarfed it'd probably be Whitaker, who's spent more of his career as a WW than a MW anyway.
ASitting courtside at a recent Celtics game, Francis Ngannou talks about his own inevitability. His hands are the size of boule loaves, and over the past couple of years, those hands have done the kinds of things to the heavyweight division that make this Saturday night’s UFC 220 title fight feel like a foregone conclusion. Like it’s inevitable that Stipe Miocic will fall.

Before Ngannou came along, Miocic — the UFC’s current heavyweight champion — was the beast, the Cleveland marauder who drew X’s over people’s eyes, who took whatever TNT that linebacker-size men could throw at him and shoved it down their throats. Maybe Miocic still is the beast. But listening to Ngannou tell the tale of his rise — and his conquering — is straight-up harrowing. He’s the colossus come to stop Miocic.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mindenhall's flowery style, but this is a pretty good piece on Ngannou: https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/18/1690...ic-ufc-220
Now that we're Trouble City that surely means T-City Ortega is our patron saint of fighters.
Max is gonna mess up his pretty record.
Police were called on Conor McGregor after he crashed a promotional event for someone else's upcoming fight, threw furniture and barricades, destroyed property, and assaulted the odd fighter or two before fleeing the scene.

The presser was to promote this weekend's fight for the UFC's lightweight championship, which the UFC has stripped from McGregor for his refusal to defend it.

Link to Deadspin's coverage, which includes embedded Twitter videos of parts of Conor's rampage.

ETA:  The first draft of this post took at face value Dana White's claim that a warrant was out for McGregor's arrest.  ESPN's Brett Okamoto, quoting ABC News, reports on Twitter that police are investigating, but there's no warrant as of an hour ago.  McGregor is still at large.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
They shouldn't have fucked with Artem. Even Nate agrees.
That Khabib and his entourage had had some sort of confrontation with Conor's friend, and that might have been what set all this off, had escaped me (and Deadspin, evidently). I definitely get why this framing of the story puts Conor in a positive light for some, whether I agree with it or not.
"Looking at the Trump administration, I'm starting to think I was too hard on the characters in Prometheus."  --  MrBananaGrabber
UFC's dream tbh. Card goes from a total disaster to people are talking about UFC on the same weekend as the Masters. Khabib vs Conner would be awesome.
Irish Twitter was insane today.

I love Conor, and it makes me happy he’s so loyal with his friends, but I don’t condone what he did. 3 fights are now cancelled, 2 due to the damage done by glass from when he threw the Dollie through the window (the other being Artem being pulled). Dude’s looking at pissing away all his Floyd money.
Max has been pulled by doctors due to his weight cut going badly.

What a shit show!!
Lmao. What a fucking disaster. Khabib vs a bear, make it happen Dana.
The yam could have just fought Khabib and made millions of dollars. I guess throwing a dolly at a bus and getting sued for millions of dollars is just as good.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
Dang shame if they really do force Yoel to go up to 205 and deny us a 3rd go with Rob Whittaker, I could watch those two fight 4 times a year. If there was ever a case of "Give him one more shot even though he's down 2-0" it'd be a Yoel who had made 185 properly this weekend.

Then again, I'm generally for fighters moving up and cutting less - hell, it's worked out pretty nice for Rob himself - so seeing the bigger MWs like Yoel and Luke go to 205 is no bad thing.
That was awesome.
Agree that last one was awesome (and so was most of the night), but what the hell was going on with that Ngannouh fight? So weird, and hoping some sort of explanation/news comes out about it.
"It's no coincidence that Donald Trump and CUUUUUUUUNT have the same amount of letters" courtesy of Fraid

The Brock stuff was cringe worthy. Francis looked like he had never fought in his life, one of the worst fights ever. Great card overall though.
Dana White wants to be like Vince so bad
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
(07-08-2018, 03:12 PM)Munson Wrote: The Brock stuff was cringe worthy. Francis looked like he had never fought in his life, one of the worst fights ever. Great card overall though.

You can say that, but that promo just switched DC all the way from the greatest athlete in the UFC that no one ever gave a tinned shit about all the way into a license to print money.  You hear that crowd when he started grandstanding on the cage?  That was a bigger pop than all is other fight celebrations combined.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
“Hey, Brock, get out of my octagon, I've got some pictures to take!”
(07-08-2018, 10:20 PM)the nz natural Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 03:12 PM)Munson Wrote: The Brock stuff was cringe worthy. Francis looked like he had never fought in his life, one of the worst fights ever. Great card overall though.

You can say that, but that promo just switched DC all the way from the greatest athlete in the UFC that no one ever gave a tinned shit about all the way into a license to print money.  You hear that crowd when he started grandstanding on the cage?  That was a bigger pop than all is other fight celebrations combined.

I think Brock doing anything gets em fired up, but lord knows the HW division needs Brock for the excitement after Francis went pure dud on em.

The little midget guy shoving Brock was hilarious though, Brock doesn't even acknowledge him, Dana runs over "didn't you get the script??". Hope DC fights Gustafsson again in the fall before Brock in the spring. In my dreams it would be Jones on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic or something but w/e.
I think you severely under-estimate the value of someone who can eloquently, concisely and passionately cut a promo.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Yeah probably tbh, especially for casual fans. I mean Brock is basically the anti Miocic. Still felt less organic vs McGregor and his shit talk but o well, lord knows I'll watch DC wreck Brock.
Brock excites people purely because he carries a presence that most people, in combat sports or otherwise, do not. The man is a super-human specimen that immediately grabs your attention because he looks like been he's plucked off some ancient battlefield -- he reminds people of the yonder years of MMA, when we pitted freak show against freak show.

MMA needs stars injected into its bloodstream desperately, and the man is the epitome of one, whether you like it or not. I'm happy he's around, as my attention-span has gone from being a die-hard watcher to now regularly missing PPV's. I appreciate that the UFC angled for sports legitimacy by trying efforts directed toward mainstreaming it, but I think its core audience has responded in letting them know that we need more variety in the entertainment angle, and less of the bland samey-ness of its sports side.
I never would of thought Shaun was a JUST BLEED type of guy.

But seriously I agree overall. I think USADA and anti doping cleared out a lot of guys and left a void. Hopefully some new blood can start coming up. It's the era of the superfight but you can't build new stars if you keep recycling the old ones, and there are a lot of solid guys everywhere but HW.
You're kidding, to be sure, but I simply find Brock's presence fun, and there's not a whole lot of fun happening in MMA at the moment.
It sucked baaaaaaaad losing Max but aside from the co-main the PPV section was one of the funnest ever. Khalil Fucking Roundtree knocking out Gokhan Fucking Saki. Pretty Tony turning the tables on the recent shitty "miss weight and win" trend by choking out Chiesa. Platinum Perry and the Irish Dragon coating the canvas in bloooooooooooood. Dadbod Cormier's HW dream coming true. And all this after, in the most important fight of the night, the magnificent Dan the Hangman took himself a 1st RD KO victory to back up his bro Izzy Adesanya having shown he miiiiiiight be the real deal by dominating #8 MW Brad Tavares the night before.

(07-09-2018, 02:15 PM)Munson Wrote: I never would of thought Shaun was a JUST BLEED type of guy.

But seriously I agree overall. I think USADA and anti doping cleared out a lot of guys and left a void. Hopefully some new blood can start coming up. It's the era of the superfight but you can't build new stars if you keep recycling the old ones, and there are a lot of solid guys everywhere but HW.

You don't think giving a cheating cunt like Brock a title shot immediately on his return from a USADA ban for being so chickenshit he felt he had to be roided to the gills to fight an obese man renders the UFC's whole anti-doping "stance" kind of a joke?
Of course it's a joke. Any other fighter then Miocic gets an instant rematch. If fans want freakshow I won't pretend to be aghast but at least let Jones fan man into the ring at the end of the fight and steel chair DC, the pseudo legitimacy is stupid if you aren't going to enforce it. It's no different then DC saying he would never give Jones a rematch because of his cheating then taking the Brock fight.
(07-09-2018, 04:16 PM)Munson Wrote: ... at least let Jones fan man into the ring at the end of the fight and steel chair DC ...

Now you're talking!