Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultraviolet
Quote:

Originally Posted by HamsterDK

Looks like it might have some pretty action. I'm just convinced he's stuffed so much of it into this movie that we'll get bored after 30 minutes. One of the good things about Equilibrium was that there was some distance between the fight secenes so that your expectations slowly build!

Again, how do you know that from watching a two-minute trailer? Trailers are made by marketing people, and they're leaning on the thrill button. It's not a compressed version of the movie. Remember the Mission: Impossible trailer that made it look like an action extravaganza? Then, when we got to the theater, we found out that all of that action footage was taken from the train sequence; the one action sequence in the movie.

My point is, don't assume that the movie is all non-stop action simply because the trailer is. That could have all been taken from one or two scenes.
At least he's upgraded from the "Motorcycle Helmet Police" look.
The guy that reviewed the movie at AICN (and has been contacted through e-mail by Wimmer) says Wimmer's basically... well, kinda out of the picture.

Quote:

Kurt Wimmer is no longer in control of the movie. Screen Gems took the film away from him, finalized all the sound effects, music, and editing without his input. I emailed him over the weekend to see how everything was shaping up and he seemed pretty upset about the whole ordeal. I wasn't a fan of the cut that I saw earlier this year but I believe every director should be allowed to refine his vision until he is absolutely happy with what he has. I'd rather see a mediocre misfire from a talented director than a film that was sliced, diced, and slapped together by a committee.

More on his e-mail discussions with Wimmer and his review here:

http://www.fridaythe13thforum.com/sh...136#post860136

There's also the fact the movie was already cut down to PG-13 before the studio took over.
That's unfortunate. I agree with the sentiment that I'd rather see Wimmer make a mistake than a studio focus group put together something to please the widest possible demographic.
Well, until that's coming from Wimmer himself, it's a rumor.

Quote:

There's also the fact the movie was already cut down to PG-13 before the studio took over.

Yeah but according to the AICN review guy, the studio told him to cut it down to PG-13.
I don't know how accurate flimjerk is, but at least it doesn't look like a dump job.

Ultraviolet (Screen Gems): 2750 plus locations

http://www.filmjerk.com/new/article1580.html
As long as Wimmer gets to release a director's cut DVD, I'm happy. I really hope this movie makes some bank in the theater so we have a chance of seeing Wimmer do a great DVD.
Hmm color me interested but not quite blown away. The look of the film is very cool. The story and in particular Milla's acting doesn't quite have me convinced. However the cool factor seems high and the action looks ridiculously awesome.

Being the lover of Equilibrium that I am and the fan of Daigoro Wimmer I sincerely hope that his film has been left alone. Oh and yeah a rated R cut for dvd would have me more jazzed as well.
Awesome trailer. The action looks pretty darn sweet and the Jin-Roh armors warms my heart.
Why do you guys feel this film needs to be rated R?
They think everything should be rated R
Quote:

Originally Posted by Y3k-Bug

Why do you guys feel this film needs to be rated R?

Because it involves vampires, guns, and swordplay.
everyone knows an r rated movie has more integrity and the closer you get to watching a g rated movie the more likely you are to become a homosexual. "r" stand for realistic, and "g" for gay, after all.
And PG-13 stands for "Studios love money."
Well, that IS why they're in the business.
So are we talking about how much we want the studios to make or are we talking about how they could make the best film?
What does the MPAA rating have to do with making the best film? An R rated film is automatically higher quality than a PG film? Please don't say yes, or I'm coming over there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel St. Buggering

What does the MPAA rating have to do with making the best film? An R rated film is automatically higher quality than a PG film? Please don't say yes, or I'm coming over there.

No. The real problem is in the filming. If a movie was filmed as a PG-13 it usually is not a problem. More often than not though those movies that are "filmed" as Rs and then butchered to PG-13 not only suffer but appear to be messes. This is especially true with "action" flicks. Cutting out entire aspects of sequences filmed as Rs can lead to what appears as disjointed, sloppy filmmaking when it really is an editing problem to please the studio.
That's Paul Anderson's standard excuse for making shitty films.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Brigden

That's Paul Anderson's standard excuse for making shitty films.

But Paul's trailers do not look like Kurt's trailers and Paul does get quite a bit more money for his flicks.

Regardless of who saids it though Rs filmed action flicks edited to PG13s are a problem.
I dunno, they both feature over-enthusiastic gimmick action scenes and wafer-thin characters, but that's just me.
Quote:

I dunno, they both feature over-enthusiastic gimmick action scenes and wafer-thin characters, but that's just me.

Have you seen UV yet or are you only speaking about EQ? You do realize that he also was one of the writers behind The Thomas Crown Affair as well right?

Another note, though Wimmer originally penned scripts for Sphere and The Recruit what ended up on the screen for both of those differ quite a bit from what he actually wrote.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel St. Buggering

Of course not, it has to do with the type of film. Stuff like BATMAN or DAREDEVIL doesn't need to be rated R but if I hear about a movie involving a vampire-like creature who slices folks up with a sword then I expect some R-rated imagery. Is there anybody who thinks a movie like THE DEVIL'S REJECTS or KILL BILL would have worked as well as they did if they had been PG-13?

If I was working for a studio than I'd be more concerned with getting a PG-13 rating for a film like ULTRAVIOLET to secure the biggest opening weekend possible. But I'm just a movie fan so I just want to see a good movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenGe Chick Flick Destroyer

Have you seen UV yet or are you only speaking about EQ? You do realize that he also was one of the writers behind The Thomas Crown Affair as well right?

Another note, though Wimmer originally penned scripts for Sphere and The Recruit what ended up on the screen for both of those differ quite a bit from what he actually wrote.

Just EQ, although I thought THOMAS CROWN was utter pants. The remake, that is.
Quote:

Just EQ, although I thought THOMAS CROWN was utter pants. The remake, that is.

The reason I asked is you do realize EQ is a first person story don't you?? I can fully understand why anyone would think it was "paper thin" since you see almost nada outside of Preston's perspective. Personally I thought that was a gutsy route to take especially for a first time filmmaker because not only do films that use this format appear to be thin on characters but written stories as well. You very, very rarely see a filmmaker, ever take this route. Spielberg did do it somewhat with Munich but he has had years of experience.

Duel would be more on the level of EQ since both are early films as well as low budgets.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JenGe Chick Flick Destroyer

Personally I thought that was a gutsy route to take especially for a first time filmmaker because not only do films that use this format appear to be thin on characters but written stories as well.

I believe Wimmer's first time behind the camera was ONE MAN'S JUSTICE. But much like EQUILIBRIUM was told from the perspective of Preston, ONE MAN'S JUSTICE was told from the perspective of the Boz.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti

I believe Wimmer's first time behind the camera was ONE MAN'S JUSTICE. But much like EQUILIBRIUM was told from the perspective of Preston, ONE MAN'S JUSTICE was told from the perspective of the Boz.

Actually Wimmer was fired half way through the filming of that one, didn't edit it, finish filming it, or anything else. In numerous interviews he comments on EQ being his "first" film. I can find the quotes if you want me to. He made some great comments about it in his interview here at CHUD.
Yeah, I know. But he does get the credit. All I know is I hope Wimmer was the one who got such a strong performance out of Hammer.
Quote:

Yeah, I know. But he does get the credit. All I know is I hope Wimmer was the one who got such a strong performance out of Hammer.

It is interesting if you watch that film because you can see the early stages of Gun Kata (years before The Matrix). I also get a strong impression that Wimmer was not the one who filmed the ending because Bosworth did not fight as well as he did in other places in the film. That ending was very "un-Wimmer" but maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, nice to find someone else who actually has taken the time to see it!!
Shouldn't there be an official Pre-Release UV thread at this point?
Quote:

Of course not, it has to do with the type of film. Stuff like BATMAN or DAREDEVIL doesn't need to be rated R but if I hear about a movie involving a vampire-like creature who slices folks up with a sword then I expect some R-rated imagery. Is there anybody who thinks a movie like THE DEVIL'S REJECTS or KILL BILL would have worked as well as they did if they had been PG-13?

If I was working for a studio than I'd be more concerned with getting a PG-13 rating for a film like ULTRAVIOLET to secure the biggest opening weekend possible. But I'm just a movie fan so I just want to see a good movie.

Exactly.
Quote:

Of course not, it has to do with the type of film. Stuff like BATMAN or DAREDEVIL doesn't need to be rated R but if I hear about a movie involving a vampire-like creature who slices folks up with a sword then I expect some R-rated imagery.

Hmmm. I would think, given the subject matter of their respective books, that Batman and Daredevil would benefit from an R rating much more than UV would. Especially considering that UV doesn't give me the impression of trying to go anywhere with it's sought after R, other than decapitations and the like.

The worlds of Batman/Daredevil, with an R, would tackle subject material more in line with what was penned in their best comic runs.

So I don't think it's the rating, it's what your movie is going to do with it. UV wouldn't do much. PG-13 seems fine to me.
Some Batman and Daredevil comics have had an adult feel but by in large they are characters that have always been aimed and meant to be enjoyed by a younger set. I don't think I'd enjoy a film centering on either of those characters that was full of blood and carnage. On the flipside when it comes to a character like the Punisher I do want violence and mayhem from start to finish.

An R-rated ULTRAVIOLET would not make it a slam-dunk good movie. UNDERWORLD was rated R and I thought it was horrid. But slapping the PG-13 on it is a sign to me that it's going to pull punches in scenes where that should not happen.
I dug Equelibrium, but this looks like nothing original. Yeah, cool, you've supposedly expanded the gun-fu and the action sequences. Is the plot all that compelling, though? Seems like more of the same, regardless of how it's filmed. Can't say I'm real excited about Milla either. She's not the greatest actress and her playing a bad ass is even more tired than Michelle Rodriguez playing one. (although I'm giving her Lost love.)
I will give this film a chance when it comes out, but I see nothing so far to excite me. I'm hoping to be set wrong.
Wow those colours maaaaan...like groovy

Looks like a blast, I thought the trailer showed too much nice to see all these concepts that was talked about in the test screening reviews shown.

I like the sphere/soldier thing which is from the opening scene.