Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Dickson

Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Mr. Johnson and Mr. Johnson were unavailable for comment.

When asked if he would be attending the funeral, Sgt. Al Powell responded 'NO SIR, you couldn't drag me away'
He'll always be DAD in Ewoks: The Battle For Endor to me...
Fellow Swede, Greta Garbo:

Beautiful ain't she?
We have truly lost one of our generation's greatest cinematic assholes.
"When I get older, these kids are going to take care of me."
"I wouldn't count on it."
Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheroad2

Fellow Swede, Greta Garbo:

Beautiful ain't she?

Damn.
This is thread is for RECENT celebrity deaths. I imagine ol' Greta looks much worse after the 16 years she's spent underground.
You don't say!?
Obligatory "Not if you're fabfunk!" Wakka wakka wakka.
wow, just the other week I was watching Gleason in Abominable. I always liked his delivery. RIP

"now if there's nothing else, I'm going to the head... to give birth to a monster."
I noticed former pool champion Steve Mizerak left us a few days ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yando

Even though he's not a celebrity by any means to you jerks

Jerks?
That's nice. Whom exactly are you referring to?
Even though he's not a celebrity by any means to you jerks, I saw that famed Production Designer Henry Bumstead left this Earth (read here) and joined Hitchcock and others a couple of days ago.

I want to know the secret of how he lived so long, he was like 91 or something. Ridiculous.
Tim Hildebrandt of The Brothers Hildebrandt passed away Sunday at age 67 from complications from diabetes. If you were at all into fantasy and sci-fi in the 70s and early 80s, you had some contact with these guys -- the Tolkien calendars, the Star Wars poster, The Sword of Shanarra artwork -- and even later in the 90s they had a pretty popular set of Marvel Universe trading cards. Their style was unmistakeable and their art populated a lot of my childhood and young adulthood.
Hungarian composer GYORGY LIGETI is dead at 83.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5072858.stm

He was the guy who provided the spooky music for Kubrick's 2001. He was also one of the greatest classical composers of his time. So dust off that 2001 LP and pay hommage to atmospheres and lux aeterna. I'm listening to his second string quartet right now and loving it.
Jesus wept.
Not sure if it should have went here or in the Television forum.....But TV producer Aaron Spelling died this evening.
Hooray!
No more seventh heaven, thank god.
Soo many crap shows. Sooooo much money.
He's also the father of Tori Spelling, I'd say he had alot to answer for.

He did give us alot of classic TV shows though, you can't deny that.
I guess it depends on your definition of classic. If classic means old and successful, then yes. But I never thought any of them were actually good. It's impossible to deny that he had an impact on television, but I can't say it was altogether positive. And since Tori is still on TV, we can assume that his influence will go on for a while.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel St. Buggering

And since Tori is still on TV, we can assume that his influence will go on for a while.

His son will also be getting a reality show. Something called Sons of Hollywood. I think it's about kids of rich parents.
Classic at least in the Spelling since only means memorable. I dig "Charlie's Angels", but it like the vast majority of his shows were/are disposable tripe.

I'm thinking the only show that ever won him an Emmy was the Kristy McNichol series, "Family", which for the day was well writen, acted. Something a Spelling show was hardly known for.
I actually didn't know that Family was one of his. It was surprisingly non-trashy, and therefore unrecognizable.
I'm not gonna argue that Aaron Spelling was any sort of force for good, but a quick look through his projects turns up S.W.A.T. , Starsky and Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Family, Dynasty, Hotel, Vega$, the dread 90210 and its various permutations (Melrose, The Heights, etc)....

...not all were utter shit, and the trashy Dynasty and disposable 90210 serve many as cultural touchstones.

Melrose was fuckin' great when Spelling decided that the semi-serious soap at least vaguely based in reality wasn't working and had everyone go apeshit. Plus it had more hot ridiculously chicks than you can shake a stick at (Thorne-Smith, Josie Bissett, Laura Leighton...)
Well, if we can sing his trashy praises, I can do that. Melrose had it's guilty pleasure moments, (Sienfeld flashback) but never anything I religiously watched. Definitely something to mock than to get involved in.

I prefer his 70's/80's output. SWAT was fun, Charlie's Angels-duh, Starsky & Hutch made a better tv show than movie and one of my favorites, Hart To Hart. As dumb as these shows are/were, they knew their mission-entertain the audience. A lot of shows on the air today have no clue as to how to do that.

Last, but not least, TJ fucking Hooker!
Fare Thee Well Moose. Now Kelsey Grammer will feel your cold canine stare from heaven....or...where-ever dead dogs go......
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=2...p;GT1=7703
Fabian Bielinsky, the Argentinean director of 9 Queens and El Aura, died of a heart attack this morning.

This is a great loss for my country. He was considered one of the last hopes for filmmaking in my country. He was an amazing director, and will be missed.
Northwestern University football coach Randy Walker dies of heart attack
The guy won at Northwestern. The team should win 1 or 2 games every year but he finds a way to get decent records and bowl games.
Oh, thank god. I thought you meant THIS Randy Walker. His miscellaneous crew work in Seven was masterful.
Quote:

Originally Posted by santi-freak

Fabian Bielinsky, the Argentinean director of 9 Queens and El Aura, died of a heart attack this morning.

This is a great loss for my country. He was considered one of the last hopes for filmmaking in my country. He was an amazing director, and will be missed.

Terrible news. It was one of the spanish-language best directors. His two films are superb and he will be missed. Rest in peace...
England cricketer Fred Trueman has left us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/5136580.stm

So long, Fiery Fred.
Looks like 2 in 1 day. Both founding members of bands.

Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd & Milan B Williams of The Commodores. I'd just got back from a trip to buy the Floyd's Pulse DVD when I saw Barrett had gone.

RIP guys.
Barnard Hughes has died of an illness. He was 90.

Farewell, Mr. Merlin.

"One thing about living in Santa Carla I could never stomach...all the damn vampires."
Wow, Barnard Hughes. The man didn't have a lot of leading roles, but there was a period where it seemed like he was in every other movie made.