Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
Aw man, Ruby-Spears was responsible for so much random cheese making up the background of so many childhoods.
(11-09-2020, 06:48 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Oh, come now. The McRib talk hasn't even made it into this thread yet.

Nor should it.

FUCK the McRib.

The real ending to Big...
(11-09-2020, 12:05 PM)Nooj Wrote: All that righteous law enforcement to uphold prohibition only to end with “I think I’ll have a drink!”

Worth noting, the 18th amendment was very unpopular at the time that few actually felt it was necessary, similar to how there's a growing sentiment today that marijuana should be legalized across the country. That's why you have various characters privately having drinks throughout the film and then ending it with Costner saying "I think I'll have a drink". In the end, they got Capone for tax evasion. Selling liquor wasn't the thing that motivated law enforcement to go after him. That's why it starts with the little girl getting blown up, to remind audiences that things like that was why Capone needed to be taken down, not just because he was selling booze.
A nice piece by one of my favorite writers on Trebeck:

Alex Trebek, 1940-2020
One constant in a world of change.

https://thebulwark.com/alex-trebek-1940-2020/

"Many, many years ago—I’m going to say sometime in the early ’90s, possibly even the late ’80s—on a week night, my family was settling in for our evening routine when our television, a gigantic tube monstrosity, blinked out. The picture just went black. This was probably around six at night. So, largely at the behest of my mother, though without objection from anyone else, a small selection of my family went out and bought a new TV. There was a certain urgency to this, because Jeopardy! was on in less than an hour. So as I’m sure you can appreciate, this crisis was no joke.

The habit of watching Jeopardy!, the iconic quiz show that required its contestants to answer “clues” in the form of a question, has been with me for just about my whole life, and though certain things about it have changed—some rules have been tweaked, the set and answer board have been upgraded to the latest game show set style and answer board technology—it has always felt, in the best way, like the same show. This is entirely because Alex Trebek has hosted the current iteration of the show (earlier versions aired in the ’60s and ’70s) since its debut in 1984. Trebek, born in Sudbury, Ontario, in 1940, passed away this morning after a nearly two-year battle with pancreatic cancer, one of the most hideous and hateful forms of that hideous and hateful disease. Through it all, he was very candid about the physical pain and psychological toll, recently telling the Los Angeles Times that occasionally he was so discouraged that he felt suicidal. But, he continued:

“You can’t be telling people ‘Keep your chin up, fight on!’ and then all of a sudden you counter that by: ‘What happened to Trebek?’ ‘Oh, he killed himself. He just got too discouraged,’” the quiz show host says in an interview from his office. “‘Well, hell, he was telling us to be positive. And then he did this negative thing.’ So, yeah. That’s the responsibility that has bothered me.”

Yet despite all this—the cancer, the painful treatment, even the suicidal thoughts—Alex Trebek continued to host Jeopardy! And even though every one of the show’s millions of fans knew what he was dealing with, they only knew because they knew, because he told them, and not because you could tell by watching him. As the disease progressed, then retreated, then returned, Trebek hosted the game show—perhaps the last, at least in the United States, that specifically rewarded intelligence and erudition—with the same grace, smoothness (his facility with the pronunciation of seemingly any word in any language was staggering, if you stopped for a minute to think about it), sympathy, humor, and even taste for gently ribbing contestants who have guessed poorly, as he ever had."

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Forgot to mention this, but Uriah Heep keyboardist/songwriter Ken Hensley passed recently. They were one of the pioneers in expanding the fantasy influences and narrative approach to songwriting in hard rock that Led Zeppelin had dabbled with into a full-fledged thing, as well as incorporating significant progressive-rock influences into the genre. The history of metal wouldn't be the same without them.

Plus, y'know, they flat-out kicked ass. R.I.P.
(11-09-2020, 05:30 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 03:33 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Maybe it's too soon for this but....Jeopardy should be hosted by the VERY MUCH ALIVE...Jeff Goldblum..

I assume Ken what's-his-name will be the new host but fuck, I really want this (Goldblum) now.

Part of me thinks it's beneath him but dude is still shilling for Apartments.com, so maybe not.
Trebek is iconic and irreplaceable.

But i can just hear Goldblum's voice doing the show and it sounds so right.

Somebody else suggested LeVar Burton (STILL ALIVE!). I think he'd be great too..
Why do I get the feeling you're going to see a push for Neil deGrasse Tyson?
Just this guy, you know?
Just read about Ken Hensley - that's two members of Uriah Heep down in 2020. I believe drummer Lee Kerslake died earlier this year. To me, the British progressive/art/metal combo of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Uriah Heep helped form my musical foundation at a most influential age. I was taking 'Royal Conservatory' classical piano (like most kids back then who were shoved into learning a musical instrument that was not a guitar) and even at that time I had a feeling these musicians were classically trained - you could see and hear this in their song structures. So..., the big question is; what LP am I going to drop on the turntable first in tribute this afternoon: 'Demons and Wizards' or 'Wonderworld'?
Oh, Demons and Wizards, no question.
Demons and Wizards it is, then!
"The Wizard" would be enough to justify a career all by itself.
(11-10-2020, 12:29 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: "The Wizard" would be enough to justify a career all by itself.

Yeah, that's a pretty great song.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(11-10-2020, 12:08 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Why do I get the feeling you're going to see a push for Neil deGrasse Tyson?

He’s the first name that comes up from everyone I’ve talked to.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Also missed in recent kerfuflle: outlaw country songwriter Billy Joe Shaver (he wrote a ton of songs for Waylon Jennings) and singer/actor Mac Davis.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(07-09-2020, 04:48 AM)Overlord Wrote:
(07-09-2020, 03:04 AM)anyawatchin angel Wrote: Naya Rivera of Glee presumed dead in boating accident. 4 year old son found alone on boat. That cast has the worst luck.

I have some familiarity with those pontoon boats.  If they don't have ladders, they are deceptively difficult to climb back onto.  Could be she thought she could swim to shore after not being able to get back onto the boat and didn't make it.

(07-13-2020, 08:17 PM)Overlord Wrote: And that's EXACTLY what happened.

https://twitter.com/AmakaUbakaTV/status/...7360311299

**I believe they don't put ladders on them for liability reasons (you're not supposed to jump off and swim, it's in the rental agreement).  Cost this gal her life.  I rented a pontoon boat at Big Bear a few years ago and we didn't take enough of a note of the lack of a ladder.  Getting back on was a herculean task ... not exaggerating, it was incredibly difficult.  I then had to pull two other people back onto the fucking thing.

Not unexpected in the slightest:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/naya...42971.html

**I had not known about the lack of life jackets until reading this article. While some of the other allegations gets a bit of the side-eye from me, that one, if true, is really fucking damning. As a boat-owner, it is absolutely drilled into our heads that you have a lifejacket onboard for every single person, every time, no exceptions. Harbor/Lake patrol have no qualms about randomly checking and citing as needed (and also screaming at folks who are out on the water with children who aren't wearing life jackets).

It seems absolutely unbelievable that an established company would rent a boat without enough life jackets on board for the passenger rating of the vessel.

In the original stories, the boat renter claimed that she refused a life jacket, and he put it on the boat anyway. So somebody's lying, and it should be easy to know whom.

The article's a bit click-baity though, in that it mentions 26 drownings since the recreational area opened... without noting that it apparently opened decades ago.
Gamertag: Tweakee
(11-18-2020, 08:40 PM)farsight Wrote: In the original stories, the boat renter claimed that she refused a life jacket, and he put it on the boat anyway. So somebody's lying, and it should be easy to know whom.

The article's a bit click-baity though, in that it mentions 26 drownings since the recreational area opened... without noting that it apparently opened decades ago.

They're unverified allegations, so yeah ... who knows if they are true.  The Complaint is public record, though.  I read a bit of it. 

**"Refusing" a life jacket makes no sense.  They're stored on the boat.

Bobby Brown, Jr, is dead at 28. Looks like an overdose.

If I were in any way related to Bobby Brown, I'd be nervous AF right now. Dude is the Angel of Death.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

It's cute when dudes try to make this thread open mic night.

Well, I was being halfway serious given the number of people in his life who've died of ODs (and who've died before their time).

I'm just sayin' that if it was some asshole in Iron Maiden or some metal band you had a personal connection to, whatever the situation, you probably wouldn't be as flippant about the tragedy.

I wasn't even aiming for flippant.

You just expressed an opinion. That’s your prerogative.
(11-19-2020, 10:34 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: You just expressed an opinion. That’s your prerogative.

[Image: giphy.gif]

For the record, the members of Iron Maiden are not assholes! Even if they are, I wouldn't care because they gave us Hallowed Be Thy Name!
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Maradona. Cardiac arrest at 60. Had a lot of personal issues but when I was little this guy was like a superhero.
Not a huge surprise to see him go relatively young, given his personal predilections. Like you said, back in the day he was bigger than the biggest sport in the world. Archetypal footballer. Incredible skills, loads of passion. In the UK in the 80s it was unfashionable to like him, but bugger all that. In his prime, he was an all timer.
I initially read that as "Madonna" and was wondering exactly how much bad taste it would be in to wonder when she'd reinvent herself out of it.
Dude was a mad man. One of the greatest artists in the history of sport.
Daria Nicolodi, writer of Suspiria, long time partner of Dario Argento and mother of Asia. Rest in peace Queen.

https://www.unionesarda.it/articolo/spet...87267.html
(11-26-2020, 12:01 PM)atomtastic Wrote: Daria Nicolodi, writer of Suspiria, long time partner of Dario Argento and mother of Asia. Rest in peace Queen.

https://www.unionesarda.it/articolo/spet...87267.html

No, I picked up Paganini Horror, and never got around to watching it yet. Loved her in the Dario movies Deep Red, Tenebre, Phenomena, Inferno ,Opera, even Mother of Tears.Also her writting on Susperia. I will watch one or more this weekend. R.I.P.
Dave Prowse. Damn... even Vader succumbed to 2020. Fuck this year.
-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick
...Depressing:

"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

Aw man.
Darth Vader, weightlifting champion, multiple Frankenstein monsters, Superman's trainer, and pulling off this look with confidence:

[Image: Dave-Prowse-Clockwork-Orange.jpg]

That's a pretty cool career.