Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
I can't imagine what the pop culture landscape would look like without Ditko's contributions. RIP.
An absolute titan of comic, art and pop culture.
Sure, he was a die hard Objectivist, but I always admired that he only showed it through his own work and wasnt some crazy fanatic preaching or yelling to the crowds.
He kept his life and himself private, and let his work speak for him and his beliefs.
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
If I'm brutally honest, I thought Steve Ditko had already died, for some reason.

But man, Ellison and Ditko in the same week...popular culture has taken some serious body blows.
(07-07-2018, 07:25 AM)jmacq1 Wrote: If I'm brutally honest, I thought Steve Ditko had already died, for some reason.

But man, Ellison and Ditko in the same week...popular culture has taken some serious body blows.

Not really, they were both far removed from their salad days. Their influence and body of work had been set for probably decades.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
(07-07-2018, 07:25 AM)jmacq1 Wrote: If I'm brutally honest, I thought Steve Ditko had already died, for some reason.

That's understandable. As far as I know, all of his work over the last 20-or-so years was self-published, and he tended to refuse interviews or public appearances. I'll admit to looking him up more than once in recent years to see if he was still alive.
Recent-ish profile on Ditko I believe has been posted around here before, when Dr Strange came out. It's pretty good, and the writer has a brief encounter with the man himself:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/steve-dit...c-v-r.html
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(07-07-2018, 08:27 PM)slim Wrote: Recent-ish profile on Ditko I believe has been posted around here before, when Dr Strange came out. It's pretty good, and the writer has a brief encounter with the man himself:

As someone who's only broadly familiar with the creative behind-the-scenes stuff of classic comics, it's absolutely fascinating to think that the creator of such a beloved character essentially ended up as an outsider artist, still less that a character defined by the idea that power brings responsibility would've been created by a die-hard Objectivist.

Fascinating.
Shinobu Hashimoto, screenwriter on RASHOMON, SEVEN SAMURAI, IKIRU, THE BAD SLEEP WELL, THE HIDDEN FORTRESS, THRONE OF BLOOD for Kurosawa, HARAKIRI and SAMURAI REBELLION for Kobayashi, as well as SWORD OF DOOM, has died at the age of 100.
That's a hell of a resumé.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Collider host Jon Schnepp has died following a massive stroke. He was 51.
I really enjoyed The Death of Superman Lives.

I was looking through his IMDB page, and was surprised that he also directed a bunch of Venture Bros episodes.
Adrian Cronauer, the basis for Robin Williams' Good Morning, Vietnam.  He was 79.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(07-07-2018, 08:43 PM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 08:27 PM)slim Wrote: Recent-ish profile on Ditko I believe has been posted around here before, when Dr Strange came out. It's pretty good, and the writer has a brief encounter with the man himself:

As someone who's only broadly familiar with the creative behind-the-scenes stuff of classic comics, it's absolutely fascinating to think that the creator of such a beloved character essentially ended up as an outsider artist, still less that a character defined by the idea that power brings responsibility would've been created by a die-hard Objectivist.

Fascinating.

Take in mind that Ditko's contribution to Spider-Man's creation was more in terms of design than narrative.
His created characters, like The Question and Mr. A, show his objectivist beliefs on full
"Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy."

Xbox Live Gamer Tag: Strider Ryoken / PSN: Kenryo81 /Steam: Ryoken81
RIP Nikolai Volkoff

Bad day for wrestlers. Nikolai and Brick House Brown died of cancer, and Brian Christopher (Jerry Lawler's son) hung himself in jail. Damn.
Michelin decorated Chef Joel Robuchon dead at 73.
https://london.eater.com/2018/8/6/176551...tars-death
R.I.P. Charlotte Rae, Mrs. Garrett from The Facts Of Life
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
(08-06-2018, 07:21 PM)vtran Wrote: R.I.P. Charlotte Rae, Mrs. Garrett from The Facts Of Life

Saw that.  She was awesome and was a staple of 80s television.
Former WWE wrestler Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart passed. Terrible year for former 80's wrestlers.