Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
Ah man, too bad.

I think he was ready to go once his wife died.

Left a huge legacy behind, more so than most “celebrities”. I think he transcends that moniker because he actually created some culture, as opposed to most who just contribute to it.

Hopefully he got his Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 cameos filmed because that would be a fitting send off.

When I was a kid in the 80's, Stan had column in Marvel Age about Marvel's ongoing attempts to launch movie and TV projects, which back then either didn't happen or were awful. But one month he asked readers to write in and vote an whether Iron Man should get a movie or a TV series. Of course I did, and a few months later I got a letter back from Stan saying it had ended in a tie(!). There was an actual signature on it. I still choose to believe Stan actually signed that letter.

And for all his movie cameos, this exchange still makes me laugh really hard:

"They look happy, don't they?"
"What, the bras?"
I happened to post a Kirby joke on FB about Lee's passing, so I think I'm on several shit lists of folks here. (I did also repost a powerful statement from Lee condemning all sorts of bigotry, one that appeared in Marvel comics decades ago.)

I am really glad Lee lived long enough to see the MCU become what it is. Whatever happened decades ago, he was instrumental in giving us these great stories and characters, and every BTS feature I saw with him amazed me in how enthusiastic he remained about it all.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
This is the final word on Stan and Jack:

This is the last time they talked publicly. Jack is being interviewed on his birthday, and Stan Lee is brought on (unexpectedly) around the 19-minute mark. At first things are cordial, but then it gets a bit contentious. 

32:31 seems to be all you need to know. Lee claims "Every word of dialogue in those scripts was mine." Either he's lying or his memory is out of wack, it's up to you to decide. It's just sad because Kirby seems angry and Lee seems so confused about why he and his old friend can't just work things out.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Roy Clark, 85.
If you only know him from Hee Haw, you don't know the half of it.  The man could play.  There are renowned rock guitarists who couldn't dream of touching this.

My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Impressive. Most impressive.
What I admired most about Stan Lee was his boundless enthusiasm.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
William Goddamn Goldman.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Damn...some big names dropping. The Grim Reaper needs to stay away from John Williams, that's all I'm saying.
Don't say that!

There's three or four big ones that I dread coming any time..
I think you could make the argument that William Goldman is the most influential screenwriter of all time. In addition to writing one of the best westerns and maybe the best journalism movie ever made, he basically created an entirely new genre out of PRINCESS BRIDE while at the same time writing one of the best comedies and romances ever made. On top of that, he has absolute classics like MARATHON MAN, STEPFORD WIVES and MISERY (adapting Stephen King successfully is no small feat, as he later proved with DREAMCATCHER), and more underrated stuff like MAVERICK and MAGIC. (The less said about the loathesome GENERAL'S DAUGHTER, the better - though that movie's problems are not with its script per se.)

And on top of that, he wrote two books about the film industry which are considered some of the best writing ever done on the movies - wildly entertaining, gossipy, and smart as hell. (He also wrote THE SEASON, which is like those, but about Broadway theater.)

Fat Elvis was talking recently in the Film Critic thread about how celebrities and writers today seem too careful and couched in their public statements; I don't think you're able to write ADVENTURES IN THE SCREEN TRADE and still find work in 2018. Those two books went on to influence at least two generations of writers, among them, Bill Simmons, who in turn was responsible for adapting and popularizing Goldman's style for a contemporary, internet audience. You might even be able argue that Goldman invented the "hot take."

But finally, there are very few screenwriters whose work continues to feel relevant, prescient, and meaningful with each passing year, and the re-emergence of PRESIDENT'S MEN into the popular consciousness alone should be a testament to his legacy. A historian on Twitter pointed out that we now think that "Follow the money" was an actual Deep Throat quote, and not a Goldman invention. And I bet more than a few of us have thought of "Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand." in the last couple years.

He was so great.
home taping is killing music
It's hard to overstate Goldman's influence and quality. What an extraordinary body of work he leaves us. May his memory be a blessing, and as long as we remember his work, he's only mostly dead, after all.
I always found Goldman's mantra of "Nobody knows anything" to be very reassuring.  It applies to most things in life. RIP