Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Dead Celebrity Thread
That was really him on Twitter, right?

RIP Smith

(08-02-2020, 12:00 AM)farsight Wrote: Huh, I could've sworn he was about 85 in COCOON.

I think he was born 85.
Just this guy, you know?
I know, it's fucking weird to be like "oh yeah, Brimley was MY AGE when he was in The Thing."

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
One of the all-time great character actors. Always showed up, did his thing and seemingly never got in the way of the leads. A movie felt better when he showed up.

I'd like to think he was in on the joke early on (a la his gruffness, "Diabutus," etc.) unlike Shatner, for example, who only did so years later. To be completely honest, I'll never not think of two things when you bring him up: his Yosemite Sam reading of "I'LL KILL YOU!" in The Thing and the We Hate Movie guys' impression of him.

All jokes aside, he came across like a good guy off screen. RIP.

The real ending to Big...
Been a while since I watched The Thing with audio commentary on, might do that tonight. I feel like a great way to honor WB would be to listen to Russell roaring with laughter at shit like that Yosemite Sam moment.
(08-02-2020, 10:34 AM)Adam_72 Wrote: Been a while since I watched The Thing with audio commentary on, might do that tonight. I feel like a great way to honor WB would be to listen to Russell roaring with laughter at shit like that Yosemite Sam moment.
I guess someone else is gonna have to watch Clark now.

And watch him close, do ya hear mwe?!
Also to add to his awesomeness. He was a bodyguard to Howard Hughes.

The real ending to Big...
While I think my favorite mainstream Brimley performance is the absolute slimeball he played in THE FIRM, I want to shout out the detective thriller BRIGHAM CITY. That movie's part of the "Mollywood" genre; films made by Mormons for a Mormon audience. The director of BRIGHAM CITY is one of the pioneers of the genre, and has spent his career pushing back against some of the more conservative elements of the genre. The result, about a small town cop confronting a serial killer, is one of the more darker neo-noirs I've come across, and a really nuanced look about what it means to grapple with "the problem of evil." There's a real kind of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN vibe to parts of it, and Brimley, a Mormon himself, has a wonderful part in it.
home taping is killing music
(08-02-2020, 10:34 AM)Adam_72 Wrote: Been a while since I watched The Thing with audio commentary on, might do that tonight. I feel like a great way to honor WB would be to listen to Russell roaring with laughter at shit like that Yosemite Sam moment.

I wish there was a Kurt Russell laugh track for everything.

The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Carpenter being so self-deprecating about his work always annoys me, but that is still one of the most fun audio commentaries ever. Those two should have a podcast or something.
The first thing this news reminded me of is that it's the job of a general to by God get things done..
It doesn't seem to be online anywhere, but Brimley fucking owned the room/screen for the climactic scene in ABSENCE OF MALICE. And when you consider the other actors in the scene - Paul Newman, Sally Field, Bob Balaban - that's saying something.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Reni Santoni, actor who appeared in "Dirty Harry" but probably best known as Poppie from "Seinfeld," 81 - https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/reni-sa...234724490/
"Gummy Bears."

He was only 4 years younger than Wilford Brimley which blows my mind.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
I'll always remember him from Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
RIP great newspaperman Pete Hamill

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/26/style...-book.html

The Revolt of the White Lower Middle Class

(08-04-2020, 04:53 PM)Mangy Wrote: Reni Santoni, actor who appeared in "Dirty Harry" but probably best known as Poppie from "Seinfeld," COBRA (1986), 81 - https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/reni-sa...234724490/

Variety has no taste.
I'm not Avery.
No producer shaped my formative musical tastes more than Martin Birch:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/legend...ead-at-71/

Quote:Legendary British producer Martin Birch, who is best known for engineering and producing albums by Deep Purple, Rainbow, Fleetwood Mac, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath, Blue Öyster Cult and Iron Maiden, died earlier today (Sunday, August 9) at the age of 71. His passing was confirmed former Deep Purple and current Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale, who tweeted: "It is with a very heavy heart I've just had verified my very dear friend & producer Martin Birch has passed away.
James Harris, also known in the ring as Kamala the Ugandan Giant has passed.
(08-10-2020, 12:22 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: No producer shaped my formative musical tastes more than Martin Birch:
Well that's a hell of a resume.
(08-10-2020, 02:08 AM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 12:22 AM)Iron Maiden Wrote: No producer shaped my formative musical tastes more than Martin Birch:
Well that's a hell of a resume.

He produced at least two of my favorite albums of all time (Rainbow's Rising and Black Sabbath's Mob Rules). An all timer for those two albums alone.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(08-10-2020, 12:43 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: James Harris, also known in the ring as Kamala the Ugandan Giant has passed.

People are going to see " James Kamala Harris dies" and get awfully confused today.
Just this guy, you know?
Word all over Twitter that Wings Hauser has passed away.
Just this guy, you know?
Damn. I just finally got around to watching VICE SQUAD for the first time a few weeks back. The dude was absolutely terrifying in that flick.
According to his wife, he's very much alive:

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2020/08/...-not-dead/
(3 hours ago)Alt-molt Wrote: According to his wife, he's very much alive:

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2020/08/...-not-dead/
Good to hear...I shall hold off posting "Neon Slime" for now.
The only good thing to come out of this death scare is I found out Scorsese really dug VICE SQUAD.

Here's a great piss on your grave thread about Sumner Redstone:

https://twitter.com/gideonyago/status/12...0096200710

A couple thoughts on the passing of Sumner Redstone, my old boss and the mogul behind Viacom/MTV Networks. There is a gaping hole in his obituaries right now and it is about a historic exploitation of freelance labor in broadcasting. Not a single obituary mentions it, so ...... I figured I'd dive in. If you read Redstone's obituaries right now, the most repeated tropes are how he coined the phrase 'content is king', discussions of his famous corporate battles/buy-outs and salacious family lawsuits. Here's Variety ... ... a lot of ink gets spilled about his hard-nosed business style, his sexual picadillos, even his iPad that said only 'yes', 'no' and 'fuck you' show up. But what isn't discussed is how Mr. 'Content Is King' got his 'content' ... ... Viacom Networks (MTV, BET, Comedy Central, CMT), the engine that drove Redstone's media empire was almost entirely built on 'reality', 'live' and 'free' content. Which is to say, Redstone's genius was finding a way to pipe content ... ... made and paid for by other people (music labels, comedy clubs) on to cable. And to fill the gap with non-union, unprotected 'perma-lance' innovation in-house. Reality and music television was just union-busting. Plain and simple. ... ... 'My Super Sweet 16'? A PA came up with that. 'Jersey Shore'? Just a rip-off of a True Life pitched by an AP. There was no IP ownership. No health-care. And Redstone's bet was freelance 20 year olds wouldn't have the stones to organize or sue. ... ... which, for decades they didn't. It starved a generation of workers out of wages, health-care and residuals. And it had a corollary of making the cable broadcast industry whiter and more upper-middle/upper class. Because who else could ... ... afford to work in New York under these conditions without parental subsidy? And at the time, Viacom kept posting quarter after quarter of record profits. So why is Redstone's anti-union, anti-labor content playbook scrubbed from his final obituary? No fucking idea. ... ... but it's a legacy worth noting. He made reality TV, even forced up its content on CBS when he bought CBS, because Mr. Content Is King never thought content was worth paying for. So rest in peace, Mr. Redstone. You cost a lot of my friends a lot of sweat and a lot of years. ... shout-out to all my Viacom alums, who got paid peanuts, fired every 11 months and rehired days later to avoid being paid health benefits and had their ideas stolen. I see you and I love you all. END/

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Sumner Redstone was a corpse with a raccoon stapled to his head for like the last 20 years of his life. He had just enough strength to be evil trash.
How exactly he went from owning a few drive-in theaters to Viacom is a question that only a good forensic accountant could answer.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I didn't realize how instrumental he was in making MTV so shitty.