Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The B Action Movie Thread
Both fine films to be sure, Adkins had an awesome run last decade. But his best for me were NINJA 2 and ACCIDENT MAN. I could do a top ten list of just his films the past ten years and I’d be quite content.

(01-01-2020, 11:28 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: As a heads up: lastexittonowhere.com is having a huge site-wide sale.  20% off.  Use code JAN2020.
It's a fun site for movie based shirts.  Lots of sci fi and action film stuff to be had.  Check out the ones for DIE HARD, ALIENS, STAR WARS, PREDATOR, and THE TERMINATOR for sure.

Cool site. This may not be one of your favorites but I love this shirt:

[Image: KING-WILLIES-JAMAICAN-VOODOO-POSSE-PREDA...=540&w=535]
My Blu Ray of In Search of The Last Action Heroes has arrived.  I won't be able to get to it until the weekend, but it looks like it will be great fun.  

I'd double-bill it with In Search of Darkness (the Horror equivalent), which arrived a little earlier, but they are too long to rush through like that.  
I watched MIDNIGHT RUN with the wife the other night. She’d never seen it. Holy cow did she love the movie...great fun. It’s really too bad that we never got DeNiro and Grodin together again because their interplay is really something special.
Glad she loved it! It's probably in my Top 10 all time. Love it.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(01-02-2020, 08:33 AM)macready Wrote: My Blu Ray of In Search of The Last Action Heroes has arrived.  I won't be able to get to it until the weekend, but it looks like it will be great fun.  

I'd double-bill it with In Search of Darkness (the Horror equivalent), which arrived a little earlier, but they are too long to rush through like that.  

Let us know how these are. I've been reading that a lot of the Indiegogo-backers for these are not thrilled with the packages they received for the films. I'm definitely looking forward to ACTION HEROES when it hits here in a few weeks.
The complaints are fairly interesting - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/in-se...#/comments

However, it seems like even people who weren't happy with the packaging thought the doc itself was really good?
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
The one review I've seen for the ACTION HEROES doc said it was a great love letter to that era of film. I also read that interviews that were done with Dick Donner, Michael Biehn and Bill Sadler aren't in the finished doc which is a shame. Still. even without them it's a sweet lineup of folks who are included.
Just watched Stakeout last night for the 336th time.

Dreyfuss and Estevez are magical..
Stowe is super charming and believably attracted to Dreyfuss.
Quinn is crazy-eyed to the max and Whitaker and Lauria are great as the day shift pranksters.

Perfect movie.

Also great soundtrack!

Estefan, Winwood, Mr. Mister... BAM!
Maybe it's time to give STAKEOUT a fresh viewing. It has never been one that entirely clicked for me, at least when compared to the heavyweight buddy cop flicks of that era.
I miss the Madeleine Stowe Era.

I recall enjoying STAKEOUT when I saw it in the theater, but it seems like every streaming service now only has ANOTHER STAKEOUT, which is dreadful.
I checked Amazon and on their HBO service they have STAKEOUT available. I'd assume that means it's streaming on any version of HBO but who knows?

Speaking of Estevez, I picked up the DVD of his western DOLLAR FOR THE DEAD. It's a fun flick that tries to inject Woo-style action in a western setting. It was for TNT so it's not all that bloody but has a great cast to support Emilio. William Forsythe, Jonathan Banks, Ed Lauter, Joequim de Almeida and Howie Long (as the heavy) all show up. Doubt it's gonna get a release beyond DVD.
Never heard of DOLLAR but with that cast I'm curious.

Molt, have you watched either of Walt Goggins action shows, SIX and DEEP STATE?  They look mediocre and generic, especially SIX, but I'm hoping Goggins livens them up.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
I watched about the first 7 or 8 episodes of Six. Goggins is fine in it and for the most part his storyline is separate from the rest of the cast. And that's the problem, the rest of the cast. I didn't give a lick about any of them.

Deep State I haven't seen. Despite his presence it sort of looks like generic covert agent stuff.

I did watch the first episode of his sitcom The Unicorn. Real lame. Very much hope it gets axed by season's end so he can get back to better films and TV.
THE UNICORN has been picked up for a full season. At least Walt is happy!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B38JbpmCMKJ/

He better have time to appear on GEMSTONES.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
I'm sure he'll be back for Gemstones. It's a supporting part and they'll find the time to do what's needed there.

Still hoping Unicorn gets axed at end of season. If he enjoys doing it then that's fine, but there's a greater good at play here. A CBS sitcom tying him up for 8 months out of the year is just not acceptable.
A CBS sitcom is probably the best way for him to make money though. I remember an interview with Kurtwood Smith where he was very happy about That 70's Show setting him up financially. It's hard out there for character actors.
Oh no doubt. If you can get on one of these shows that hits and sticks around forever you're gold. Plus I know Goggins has a young son now so the idea of having a gig that's more of a 9-5 schedule probably suits him great as a father.

My tongue is somewhat in cheek when I call for the show to be cancelled. I'm just coming from a selfish place of enjoying so many of the characters he has played the last 20 years and wishing he was freed up to play even more.
Review for Jessie V Johnson's THE MERCENARY.
https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/review-j...very-kill/
Sounds like a winner! The DVD for it is on pre-order at Amazon for only $6. Hyped to watch it next week.
Jessie V Johnson is one of the best action directors today. He deserves a film that'll get a major theatrical release.
Completely agree. It just stinks that the major studios aren't making many of those films anymore. Practically no avenues for guys like him or Hyams or William Kaufman to go down to make theatrical action movies.
Very true.  The opportunity for a wider profile seems permanently blocked. Scott Adkins has said in a recent interview that Sony blundered by not bothering to give Accident Man a theatrical release in the UK.  It had a great cast, was set in the UK, decent production value and was a fantastically entertaining film.  It would certainly have helped raise his profile in the UK and pave a way to headlining more theatrical releases.  Films like Triple Threat and Avengement have been far ahead of the lacklustre fare that have played in cinemas in recent months (Black and Blue, Charlie's Angels)

Instead, it was given a DVD only release, with a premiere that occurred after its USA release and was likely given little financial backing or promotion. The chances of the sequel being given the chance to break is hindered if the original is not so well known.  It is highly unlikely they will call it Accident Man 2, I think.  It will likely be called Accident Man: The Kowloon Assignment (or something) to hide that it's a sequel.
Well let's hope things change in the coming years.

Think the streaming channels (e.g Netflix, Amazon) can help?
Another glowing review of THE MERCENARY:

https://action-flix.com/2020/01/03/revie...o-further/

Quote:I love a good shootout but there is something about a knife fight that is even more thrilling and in that regard, Vandenberg is like a master craftsman who puts on a clinic for all to enjoy. You will definitely want to use the rewind button on this one.
The first time i saw Vandenberg was in PIT FIGHTER. Bonkers ending there.
(01-02-2020, 03:25 PM)call me roy Wrote: Just watched Stakeout last night for the 336th time.

Quinn is crazy-eyed to the max and Whitaker and Lauria are great as the day shift pranksters.

Perfect movie.

Also great soundtrack!

Come on, Shout Factory.  A special feature-loaded edition of this is well, well overdue by at least fifteen years.
(08-24-2019, 05:23 PM)engineer Wrote: Throw in Axel Foley and you have a real "winner!"

(01-03-2020, 07:20 PM)engineer Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 03:25 PM)call me roy Wrote: Just watched Stakeout last night for the 336th time.

Perfect movie.

Also great soundtrack!

Come on, Shout Factory.  A special feature-loaded edition of this is well, well overdue by at least fifteen years.

Something interesting I noticed this last viewing:

In the scene in Madeline Stowe's apartment before the showdown at the logging facility, Quinn is testing Dreyfuss on who he knew at Walla Walla.

He names a few names which Dreyfuss says he doesn't know. Then he says a name... 

Dreyfuss says "yeah I know him"

"What'd he do"

"He killed a cop"

And you see Dreyfuss' face change just a bit: the guy killed HIS partner. Possibly why he had been teamed with a younger cop, Estevez, who was adamant about Dreyfuss not "breaking procedure"

That on top of Dreyfuss' nearly unspoken drinking past, evidenced when Estevez tells him over the phone to put back the bottle of Scotch he can hear him smelling...

I don't know, I love this movie and these little things I took notice of. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, this was a bigger hit than Lethal Weapon the same year.
Happy new year everyone! Been watching a lot of movies lately. Mostly stuff I picked up from the Roninflix and Vinegar Syndrome sales. I saw Tammy And The T-Rex which was as absurd as I'd heard it was. BUCK FLOWER also shows up playing a COP which was impressive given the fact that most of his roles are as bums.

Used two free rental codes to rent The Gallows Act II and Primal. The Gallows Act II was pretty much a stinker like the first film. It was ok up until the ending which made no sense to me and just ended up being annoying. I'm watching Primal right now and it's infinitely better. Kevin Durand is having a ball, and so is Cage. He's had some great lines so far.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

Happy New Year, Rene!
Hey Rene! Have you been reading Punisher: Soviet? Just heard about it recently. Usually I wait for a TPB but that's one I might track down now.
Thanks, Felix! Thanks, Molt! I sure indeed have been reading Punisher: Soviet. I'm liking it a lot, and I hope we get more Garth Ennis Punisher MAX comics on the regular. I don't care if they're just short 6 issue limited arcs, I just want him to continue writing the character. The last couple of writers who have I've greatly enjoyed. Particularly this last one, written by Matthew Rosenberg, and the one before that by Becky Cloonan was solid as well. They both captured the character in a way that hadn't been captured since Chuck Dixon back in the 90's and Ennis himself.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

Awesome! I’ve got the first two issues of Soviet and gonna read those soon. I’ve got a backlog of stuff from those other writers you mentioned. I’ve liked the Rosenberg stuff I’ve read so far.

Also saw that they relaunched Punisher 2099, but I’ll wait for paperback on that.
I usually wait for trade paperbacks as well. It's just more convenient that way.
I agree but every once in a while something comes along that I don’t want to wait on. Ennis doing the Punisher qualifies for me.
Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg will be doing a Spenser For Hire movie on Netflix.

SPENSER CONFIDENTIAL: Mark Wahlberg reteams with director Peter Berg to play an ex-cop, Spenser, who moves in with Hawk (Winston Duke), an aspiring MMA fighter with his own rap sheet. Between gym rounds, the duo’s taunts turn to trust, and they team up to solve a double homicide.

Here are 2 more projects coming.

OUT OF THE FIRE: Tyler Rake (Chris Hemsworth) is a fearless black market mercenary with nothing left to lose when his skills are solicited to rescue the kidnapped son of an imprisoned international crime lord. Action-packed, edge-of-your-seat thriller directed by Sam Hargrave.

THE OLD GUARD: From director Gina Prince-Bythewood, Charlize Theron and Kiki Layne lead a covert group of immortal mercenaries who must fight to keep their team together when they discover the existence of a new immortal and their extraordinary abilities are exposed.