Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The B Action Movie Thread
(07-13-2018, 01:27 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Interviewer with the director of the planned doc IN SEARCH OF THE LAST ACTION HEROES:

While I've never cared for Last Action Hero, it doesn't mean I won't give the movie another shot in the future. I do understand why there would be a making-of 25 years later, as it had quite the fractured production.

(07-13-2018, 07:01 PM)engineer Wrote: Went back to the dentist's to have a follow up on my tooth extraction.

Wow. You had a horrifying day on Friday the 13th, but I know it could have been worse.

(07-14-2018, 03:05 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Spent today watching movies either on cable or on streaming since I joined Shudder to see the Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive-In marathon.

Yeah, I did not care for Seoul Station, either. As for Shudder, I am sure you are also not happy with how the site crashed last night because they were dumbshits and somehow did not expect that event to be something incredibly popular.

(07-14-2018, 04:59 AM)Felix Wrote: Watched The Rock's Skyscraper today.

I enjoyed it a lot more than i expected.

I am glad you enjoyed it too.

Yesterday I did nothing of note; I was too tired last night to post after the film I watched. Technically, part of it was horror, although it was more horrifying, as in its quality. I finally saw a MADEA movie, and it was Boo! A Madea Halloween. No offense if anyone here has seen and liked that... I found it to be atrocious. I hated all the characters, the story insulted my intelligence, there was a lot of yelling & characters repeating the same jokes constantly, it was poorly made in general... and don't expect me to see the second film, which I hear is just a remake of the first one.

Anyhow, as I alluded to last weekend, my weekend will be one from the ages. In fact, I won't be back until late Sunday night, and I'll explain all the events of today and tomorrow.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
(07-14-2018, 05:39 PM)The Perfect Weapon Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 03:05 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Spent today watching movies either on cable or on streaming since I joined Shudder to see the Joe Bob Briggs Last Drive-In marathon.

Yeah, I did not care for Seoul Station, either. As for Shudder, I am sure you are also not happy with how the site crashed last night because they were dumbshits and somehow did not expect that event to be something incredibly popular.

Yes, I was quite upset when I wasn't able to watch The Last Drive-In as it started airing. I got to see most of some of the films last night like Sleepaway Camp and Rabid. Didn't see any others as every time it would go to a new film, the Shudder Tv app on my Roku would just have a loading screen. It still has been doing that today. I did get to see the last half of Basket Case and Demons. Both films made all the better by Joe Bob's colorful commentary. Strangely enough the Shudder TV website has been working just fine. Must be a streaming issue through Roku maybe. Either way I read that all the films with Joe Bob's commentary will be up this coming week through Shudder's on demand service, so that's how I'll be seeing most of them.

Due to these issues, I decided to continue taking advantage of Shudder's on demand library and have seen two more films. Wolf Guy and the current film I'm watching FOUND FOOTAGE 3D. Wolf Guy was as fun as I've heard it is. Sonny Chiba as a wolf man that doesn't wolf out, but still has the qualities of a wolf that help him out in his investigation of A WOMAN WHO CAN PSYCHICALLY KILL PEOPLE WITH AN INVISIBLE TIGER. Yes, the film is wacky and I loved it. I'll definitely get the blu in the future.

Found Footage 3D is a Shudder exclusive, and even though I have a 3D capable tv, I'm watching the 2D version. Despite the 3D version being on there. I'm usually pretty easy going on found footage films, and despite the gimmick here about a crew making a found footage movie that ends up with them BEING the found footage movie, it has thus far been dullsville. I'm chalking this up as another movie I'm glad I get to see for free, because otherwise I'd have been pissed off had I spent actual money on it.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

Coming August 21st.
[Image: 9707_tn.jpg]
(07-14-2018, 06:47 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Due to these issues, I decided to continue taking advantage of Shudder's on demand library and have seen two more films. Wolf Guy and the current film I'm watching FOUND FOOTAGE 3D.

At least you were able to see something on Shudder today. Several times before I have talked about the movie I will always call by its full title (I am not sure why Shudder and the Arrow Blu has the shorter title) of WOLFGUY: ENRAGED LYCANTHROPE. Yes, it's a movie I enjoy for being so off the wall yet fun at the same time. I have heard of Found Footage 3D but mixed reviews kept me away from it.

(07-14-2018, 06:48 PM)Felix Wrote: Coming August 21st.

While this is something I've only heard bad reviews of. At least then people can rent it on Redbox for cheap.

Yep, my plans did change a little. My Sunday extravaganza has not changed; it's just that I decided to come home for a bit so I could shower. Originally, I was going to attend an independent wrestling show that was a reunion of an old promotion (several of the wrestlers hadn't competed in years) and after that was over, I'd make a long drive-which would have resulted in me sleeping in my car at a rest stop!-but I changed my mind. You see, this event was outdoors in a grass field by a bar; it was not only in the 80's, but felt like 95% humidity. Everyone was sweating like whores in church, and I decided to come home to take a shower. What I'm doing Sunday, I especially need to not stink like shit.

Anyhow, that wrestling show was fun. Everyone had fun, as it felt like a reunion. I at least briefly chatted with a number of people I hadn't seen from a few years to many years. It was great seeing all those old faces again. Now I'll try to sleep for a little bit before I am off; late tomorrow night I'll return and talk about a Sunday which I am sure will get a reaction.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
You're not missing anything with Found Footage 3D. It was pretty lousy. The good news as far as Joe Bob Briggs' The Last Drive-In is concerned is that all of the films with his commentary are already up on Shudder individually! It was the right call for them to do this asap after all the issues they had yesterday and today and just threw them all up for viewing after the last film was done.

I saw three more films via Shudder. Yeah, today was one of those days where we just stayed home. I saw the Japanese action film Violent Cop with Takeshi Kitano (I have no idea why this was on Shudder), the Italian exploitation zombie film Burial Ground, and Island Of Death.

Violent Cop was pretty solid. Kitano plays as described a Dirty Harry type cop who bends the rules a lot. Things get really far out towards the end where he gets thrown off the force and just doesn't give a fuck and goes after the bad guys. Pretty surprising ending though. Well worth checking out.

Burial Ground was a revisit. I'd seen it twice before, and both times it was pretty hard to sit through as it was one of the few films to really unnerve me way back when I was still getting into foreign horror. Was though as in past tense. Seeing it again, I saw that even though it's a really sleazy and at times nasty film, it's also really silly with a lot of the dialogue and having a little person playing the party of the young son who has some of the worst dubbing this side of Giovanni Frezza in House By The Cemetery.

Island Of Death is a Greek proto-slasher by the director of The Zero Boys and Hired To Kill. This one also got really sleazy and nasty as it's about a couple that travel to a Greek island and start killing people they think are sinners. Some pretty depraved stuff happens in the film, and it's no surprise it was a Video Nasty back in the day.

Currently watching what is probably my final film of the evening and it's the Indonesian slasher film Macabre on Shudder. Some familiar faces from The Raid films show up here. This is a pretty good horror film, and I hope we get more Indonesian horror movies like this.

Welcome to the 30th anniversary, pal!

[Image: giphy.gif]

"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
"How it Ends" - a post apocalyptic road trip through North America with Forrest Whittaker and that guy from Divergent.

God this was terrible. I always enjoy a good Apocalypse, but this was far from a good one. Whittaker pretty much dials in his performance as 'grumpy father in law ex-marine', but he's basically just a caricature. There is very little actually happening in this flick, maybe half a dozen basic low budget set pieces, so I wonder if they were trying for a bit of character development between Divergent boy and Whittaker... standard Road Trip fare basically. As it is, they don't really develop at all. Divergent boy has a secret (Whittakers daughter is pregnant and he wants to ask his FIL for his blessing to marry her) but it's not explored at all. Mentioned once in the opening and then once at the very end of their arc. Other than that, it's got dumb action tropes all over it, without any dumb action happening.

The actual apocalypse itself is stupid as well. The West Coast of America is screwed in a seismic event, but everywhere else is just getting heatwaves and some occasional freaky storms. The power goes out across the States for some undeclared reason, but yeah... when we reach "Day 2" and pretty much every town in the mid west has become a lawless hellzone like something out of Mad Max you've got to wonder. It's essentially a power grid problem, generators, cars, electronics all work. There's no communication, but I can't see any reason why society would collapse quite so quickly except for 'plot'.

But overall, yes... insanely stupid. The last fifteen minutes goes off on a weird tangent with a neighbour who becomes a gun toting MRA type in about thirty seconds and then the film just 'stops' after our hero and his wife drive away from a pyroclastic cloud.

Some pretty cinematrography, the director certainly nails the landscapes, but the four main characters just are crude tedious plot devices.
Thanks flint, you saved me some time.

I was going to watch that drivel.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
(07-15-2018, 06:42 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: Welcome to the 30th anniversary, pal!

What's crazy is that as beloved a film as it is it was never the #1 movie at the box office. It was only the #2 movie at the box office once, two months after it originally opened.
(07-15-2018, 03:11 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: What's crazy is that as beloved a film as it is it was never the #1 movie at the box office. It was only the #2 movie at the box office once, two months after it originally opened.

And still cleaned up at the box office!

Kinda funny they dropped Skyscraper this weekend.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Maybe SKYSCRAPER will go on to play and play in theaters into autumn.

[Image: 200.gif]
(07-15-2018, 02:06 PM)electrichead Wrote: Thanks flint, you saved me some time.

I was going to watch that drivel.

No problem. The reviews already pre-warned me, but I figured I'd get something from it. Nope.
(07-15-2018, 03:11 PM)Alt-molt Wrote:
(07-15-2018, 06:42 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: Welcome to the 30th anniversary, pal!

What's crazy is that as beloved a film as it is it was never the #1 movie at the box office. It was only the #2 movie at the box office once, two months after it originally opened.

Let's hope John McTiernan gets to direct another film.
(07-15-2018, 04:42 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Maybe SKYSCRAPER will go on to play and play in theaters into autumn.

[Image: 200.gif]

It will have three weekends in the top five.

It will not have a fourth.
Watched Karl Urban in BENT. Started promising. He plays a cop who kills another cop in a drug bust gone bad. Then he ends up in prison for three years. When he gets out he starts to investigate what went wrong? I think that's what he ends up doing. Honestly I mentally checked out about 30 minutes in. Sofia Vergara shows up and takes a shower with Urban. Even that wasn't very exciting. Many numbers were painted.
Release Date: Oct 23rd
https://bnccatalist.ca/viewtitle.aspx?ean=9781608879731

[Image: BNCImageAPI.ashx?ean=9781608879731&thumbnail=false]
(07-15-2018, 06:24 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Watched Karl Urban in BENT. Started promising. He plays a cop who kills another cop in a drug bust gone bad. Then he ends up in prison for three years. When he gets out he starts to investigate what went wrong? I think that's what he ends up doing. Honestly I mentally checked out about 30 minutes in. Sofia Vergara shows up and takes a shower with Urban. Even that wasn't very exciting. Many numbers were painted.

I bet there was something else BENT during that shower scene with Sofia Vergara. Too bad the movie itself is a bust.

Speaking of busts, I'm watching Bad Santa 2 with Christina Hendricks, Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, and Kathy Bates. It's not as good as the first film, but it still is pretty damn funny with a "more of the same" approach.

I dug BAD SANTA 2. It falls into the same trap of almost every other comedy sequel by just rehashing the jokes from the original but it doesn't really matter. Had me laughing like a banshee.

I just started watching Thornton in his Amazon series Goliath. He sort of plays his part, as a boozy lawyer, as a more mild version of his BAD SANTA character. Only four episodes in but so far I'm enjoying it.
Today wasn't bad, despite the still-healing tooth issue.  Didn't eat much, so I did several other things instead.  Woke up and listened to some music on LP, Huey Lewis and the News' Picture This (his second album, the one with Do You Believe in Love?), did laundry, came home and read the short Stephen King novella Gwendy's Button Box, which I really liked, took a nap and then sat down to one movie: CINERAMA: SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD (1956, blu-ray).  Fun stuff.  Host/producer Lowell Thomas brought us to the sites of a few and then showed us what could be considered candidates for an updating of the list.  The Ganges River, The Pyramids, Roman and Greek ruins, the sites of Christ, the Vatican (including a Papal event), Rio, the bridges of Manhattan, the Grand Canyon and a terrific sequence involving a small (faked) runaway train careening down a curvy mountain side. 

(07-15-2018, 11:54 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: I dug BAD SANTA 2. It falls into the same trap of almost every other comedy sequel by just rehashing the jokes from the original but it doesn't really matter. Had me laughing like a banshee.

I just started watching Thornton in his Amazon series Goliath. He sort of plays his part, as a boozy lawyer, as a more mild version of his BAD SANTA character. Only four episodes in but so far I'm enjoying it.

Yeah, if my post sounded a bit negative it wasn't meant that way. I really did enjoy the film a lot. It just has the side effect of being a sequel to one of the truly great modern comedies. There was no way they would outdo the first, so they just gave us more of the same. I had no problem with it. I laughed tons during it. Plus the blu I bought I got for about 4 bucks and change on clearance at FYE and it was an FYE exclusive that also came with a drink koozie with the film's title on it. I had a Coors while watching the film, and I can't believe I didn't think to use the koozie for it. It would have been perfect.

Had a pretty good afternoon. Went with Vanessa, Renata, and Vanessa's Mom out to a town several towns over. We ate seafood at this really nice seafood place that Vanessa and I had gone to a few months ago and it was delicious. We then went to the nearby Walmart so they could get a few things, and the only thing of note that I got was Cannonball Run on blu. Came back home and cut some of the yard, but I had to stop due to the over abundance of mosquitoes and other issues that were happening like the mower getting constantly gunked up underneath with some of the still wet grass (it rained like 5 or 6 days ago and the ground was still wet!). I stopped due to all these problems after only cutting a section. Came inside to shower and see the already mentioned Bad Santa 2, and another revisit, Event Horizon.

I picked up the Event Horizon blu for less than 2 bucks at FYE from their clearance section (they really are starting to have a lot of gems in that section) at the same time as Bad Santa 2, and it had been a long while since I'd seen it, so I put that on. It's still a great horror film, and I'm glad I got to see it theatrically back in 1997. Plenty of creepy imagery and it was such a nasty surprise to see Dr. Alan Grant turn into a villain in the film back in the day. Right now I'm continuing a Shudder on demand film I started late last night, the Italian Giallo Black Belly Of The Tarantula. Starring a very young Giancarlo Giannini. I'd had this on my Netflix dvd list for a long time, so I'm glad I don't have to wait for the dvd to come my way and I'm able to see it on demand.

Sometime on Monday I'll have to catch up on posts. I have had a LONG day and I hope to not ramble on about what I did, but it is possible. I ended up in Ft. Lauderdale; yes, like in Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise. The destination was not the Royal Flamingo Hotel; I did end up standing in line for something, but it was not a VIP line... which we all know stands for VERY IMMENSE PENISES. However, I did think of the 38 Special tune Back in Paradise. I attended the Florida Supercon today. It's a typical comic-con and the atmosphere & costumes were what you'd expect; seeing a large man dressed as Snow White was quite the sight. The guests were what you'd expect: Rooker, Shatner, Jyoti Amge of an American Horror Story season (yes, she is a very tiny human being), Lou Ferrigno, Sadie Sink, Gates McFadden, etc. As a child of the 80's I was amused by Ke Huy Quan also being there. But the reason why I made the drive there and back today was that another guest was: Rachael Leigh Cook.

HO-LEE SHIT was my reaction late last week when I randomly discovered this. For those who haven't been around here for years, back in 2012 I definitely waxed poetic about her and it was rather fun to go through a decent amount of her filmography, filled with a lot of interesting independent films. Just because I haven't watched her films in a long while or even mentioned her here, it does not mean she doesn't still make my heart a-flutter. I've thought of her as highly attractive for pretty much 20 years now. As she pretty much never does cons... it was an automatic decision to go there, and an even easier "yes" to paying cash for a private photo op, which was my first one ever.

I'll be honest here; on the board I am jovial and loquacious. In person, that definitely is not the case. I won't get into the reasons why... I'll just say I was full of anxiety during the big meeting. The photo op was an "in and out thing". She decided to pose with me by sticking her arm on my shoulder. That was certainly fine with me... at the moment it seemed like a good idea to put my arm around her shoulder. The photo was taken and that will soon be posted in the appropriate "chewer selfies" thread on the board for those that care to see what I look like and don't know already from other social media. In another bit of honesty, she's a lot more aesthetically pleasing than I am! A few minutes later, I suddenly realized... oh shoot, was I a creep for not asking her first, "um, is it alright if I put my arm around you?" I hope I did not do something really dumb, so it wasn't long before I made my way to her autograph table, which I wanted to do anyhow so I could have her sign a photo and I did want to say a little more to her anyhow.

I have no idea what she actually thought of someone as eccentric as me but she was very nice; I always heard she was a very kind person which is also appealing to me, especially realizing as of late how many crappy people there are in Hollywood. "No offense taken", according to her. Beforehand I was not expecting the entire convo to be about that, but alas... even though things did not quite go as planned, overall there is no way I can complain. I never thought such a meeting would ever happen, and I am happy it did (indeed she is still a very pretty lady)... even if such a scenario could only happen to me and if only it could have gone off like it did in my head.

The thing is, I did more after leaving Florida Supercon. I'll just mention one event: I saw a movie in the evening. It was at an AMC Theatres so I used the Stubs A-List deal. It was a French horror film-for some reason it was in English, and the main actors were not from France either-called The Night Eats the World; the title alone sounds pretentious and well, it was an interesting way to do a zombie picture, fast-moving in this case. One dude is followed as he falls asleep at a party and a zombie breakout happens in Paris, apparently leaving him the only one alive in the entire city. Much of the movie is seeing how he survives in such a situation-he rarely leaves the apartment complex-and he does think rather logically, although dude still F's up a few times. It won't be for all tastes but I was always interested so I will say the movie is good. The crowd I saw it with was not good; it was a crap audience experience and if it had been a different day, my reaction to the biggest offenders may have been different, and even confrontational. To think this is not the first time this garbage has happened during actually worthwhile movies.

It was a long hot day and there was also the near-catastrophe of driving home and someone driving the other way and turning left right in front of me; stomping on the brakes thankfully worked and thankfully no paints were soiled. What a Sunday.

My Letterboxd Page
Count me in for this.
[Image: 37075406_1883784578308420_3932707983066136576_n.jpg]
Strangely interesting article on the trials of shooting Street Fighter : The Movie, of all things!

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/j...ie-minogue

On Van Damme:

Quote:The rest of the actors recall a frustrating and bemusing experience. “He had the presidential suite at the hotel, with a gym put into his room,” recalls Seth. “Sometimes he wouldn’t turn up on set – the message would come through from him saying: ‘I have to pump up my muscles!’ and that was that.”

I can well believe it.
Thanks for the link! Look forward to reading that a little later in the day.

Here is the poster art for Sam Elliott in THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT:

http://collider.com/the-man-who-killed-h...ot-poster/

[Image: the-man-who-killed-hitler-and-then-the-b...07x600.jpg]
Don't beat yourself up, Perfect!  To be starstruck is a very human thing.  We've all been there.  And she sounds like she was graceful and kind about it all.
And lest we forget, she co-starred in the GET CARTER remake.  So by comparison in the big picture of it all, she's dealt with much, much worse. 
Hey-oooooo! 
(07-15-2018, 03:33 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Island Of Death is a Greek proto-slasher by the director of The Zero Boys and Hired To Kill. This one also got really sleazy and nasty as it's about a couple that travel to a Greek island and start killing people they think are sinners. Some pretty depraved stuff happens in the film, and it's no surprise it was a Video Nasty back in the day.

I've heard many things about that; at least the movie is easy to watch via Amazon... which I may have to do one day.

(07-15-2018, 07:16 AM)flint Wrote: "How it Ends" - a post apocalyptic road trip through North America with Forrest Whittaker and that guy from Divergent.

I hadn't heard of this before... then I looked and saw it was yet another lousy original movie from Netflix. I needn't not bother, I see.

(07-15-2018, 06:24 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Watched Karl Urban in BENT.

I heard bad things about this, and the movie has Sofia Vergara sans clothing. I needn't bother with this either, apparently.

(07-15-2018, 11:19 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Speaking of busts, I'm watching Bad Santa 2 with Christina Hendricks, Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, and Kathy Bates.

Of course I laughed at this comment.

(Yesterday, 07:13 AM)Felix Wrote: Count me in for this.

I hope it's a movie which at least turns out fine, but who knows for certain.

(Yesterday, 10:14 AM)flint Wrote: Strangely interesting article on the trials of shooting Street Fighter : The Movie, of all things!

Yeah that was interesting, and from Google I know the article has gotten attention because of the Van Damme revelations. There is also this article from Polygon from a few years ago (which we talked about at the time) which talked about how much of a nightmare the production was.

(Yesterday, 02:34 PM)engineer Wrote: Don't beat yourself up, Perfect!  To be starstruck is a very human thing.  We've all been there.  And she sounds like she was graceful and kind about it all.
And lest we forget, she co-starred in the GET CARTER remake.  So by comparison in the big picture of it all, she's dealt with much, much worse. 
Hey-oooooo! 

Hahahha; thanx. IMO she has been in movies that are definitely worse than the Get Carter remake, although they weren't as high profile as that. One I'll mention is Blonde Ambition, which was a shitty comedy starring Jessica Simpson; enough said there.

My Letterboxd Page
Tough to replace Clarence Williams III but I suppose Keith David will have to do:

[Image: Tales-from-the-Hood-2-movie-poster.jpg?r...C600&ssl=1]

Arrives 10/2.
(11 hours ago)The Perfect Weapon Wrote: Yeah that was interesting, and from Google I know the article has gotten attention because of the Van Damme revelations. There is also this article from Polygon from a few years ago (which we talked about at the time) which talked about how much of a nightmare the production was.

STREET FIGHTER is an acquired taste for me. Hated it the first time i saw it. Slowly come to appreciate its charms upon subsequent viewings (in a so bad its fun kind of way).

Still wish we got a well shot Street Fighter film with great martial arts action though.