Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The B Action Movie Thread
(10-13-2018, 06:31 PM)The Perfect Weapon Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 05:24 PM)electrichead Wrote: There may be mixed feelings about this, but Ironfist is not getting a third season, canceled by Netflix it seems.

I did come across that news late last night. As I haven't seen a second of it, I can only go by hearsay and mention that many won't be saddened by the cancellation... although of course Rene will be crestfallen.

Yes, I was quite bummed to hear Iron Fist was "cancelled", but like I mentioned last night, people aren't looking at the big picture (which most never do), and it's not being so much cancelled as it is the first of the Marvel Netflix shows to be shuffled over to Disney's new service, so I'm bummed that I won't be able to see another season of the show any time soon, but at least it will have a new home, and I may have to sign up for yet ANOTHER streaming service if I want to watch the shows and any other things that are on Disney Play. I say may, because I've already got plenty of streaming services that I don't use as much as I should to get my money's worth. This Disney service will certainly have to try to compete with Netflix as far as low prices go for me to even consider getting it.

Especially since I've now got cable by way of SlingTV.

(10-14-2018, 03:58 AM)The Perfect Weapon Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 02:26 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: It's a great read, and Bruce doesn't shy away from the embarrassing stuff such as his DUI mugshot and the time he was high on weed in Bulgaria and freaked out and locked his wife out of the apartment when he saw cops were checking out all the rooms.

I've had the dvd of The Swarm for a very long time, and I've loved the film since seeing it on USA or TBS as a kid back in the early 90's because it's so out there.

That Bruce book sounds like quite the read; earlier in the same a mutual on Letterboxd mentioned that they also had fond memories of the film as they saw it as a kid... I never had that luxury.

Speaking of movies that are out there, tonight I saw something I've known of for awhile; it was 1981's Anyab, otherwise known in English as Fangs. You see, it is an Egyptian version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Yeah, that Bruce book was a great read, and it's one of the few books I started reading as soon as I got it, because his books are that compelling.

Yeah, when I was a kid The Swarm did have some stuff I found scary, like the picnic scene where the kid's parents get killed and he actually drives off in their car! Not to forget about seeing HUGE BEES. I have very fond memories of the weekends when I was a kid, because a lot of the time I got to see whatever old horror movies were being shown on USA/TBS/TNT or even the local late night movies when I was really young.

That EGYPTIAN VERSION OF THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW sounds amazing. If only because someone in Egypt decided to do their own version of it. Glad to hear it's free to see via Archive.org

(10-14-2018, 04:55 AM)Felix Wrote: Review for Bruce Willis China War film AIR STRIKE (2018)
https://asianfilmstrike.wordpress.com/20...18-review/

Quote:The film opens with Fan Bingbing as a schoolteacher begging Chen Daoming to get her pupils to safety. They’re never seen again. Adrien Brody pops up twice in an ill-defined role, and it’s obvious that a love story between him and Eva Huang – who appears in very fugitive shots – was cut. Bruce Willis’ daughter Rumer Willis is third-billed (!) but appears for thirty seconds with a cardboard English accent. Then there’s pointless cameos: Simon Yam, Ray Lui and Kenny Bee act as headquarters wallpaper for mere seconds, while Nicholas Tse, prominent on many of the film’s posters, has two minutes of screentime.

Man, it sounds like they wanted to get as many big Chinese actors as they could for just a few seconds of screen time to make their film bigger than it is, and it just turns out to be a miss. That makes this one an easy skip.

Went out on my own again last night as I had to drop Vanessa and Renata off at a birthday party. I went by two pawn shops and bought nothing, and then went to Long John Silver's again to partake in their all you can eat special that they're doing on the weekends now. I spent about two hours there, not stuff my face every minute, but just enjoying the peaceful atmosphere as it was pretty quiet in there, and I got to sit there and check out what was going on online in between orders. Once I felt full, I decided to head out. I did have a good laugh though as this older man showed up at Long John Silver's, and apparently he's a "regular" there as they knew him by name. Well, when I went to the grocery store across the street to look for some Coors Banquet, I happened to run across him, and he was driving what I can only describe as a HOT ROD. It wasn't an actual hot rod, but it was a little Honda car that had some nice not-factory tires and chrome on it! I thought to myself "This old guy has himself a pimpmobile that would make a kid in their early 20's drool over." I had a laugh and then drove off since the grocery store didn't have what I wanted, and I know that always reliable Walmart would have what I wanted.

I went to Walmart and picked up some Coors and I bought two dvds from the $3.74 bin. Mouse Hunt and Wild Horses with Robert Duvall, Josh Hartnett, and James Franco. Came back home to relax and do some laundry as well as revisit a slasher movie that more than one person on my facebook news feed watched this week. THE PROWLER. It had been a long time since I'd seen it, so I took the blu off of my shelf and saw it. It's still an atmospheric film, but as with most slashers, there's not much plot, and what little plot there is is only there to service the stellar gore effects from Tom Savini. That's not a knock on the film, as I really enjoy the film, and I don't need a strong plot with twists and all that to enjoy the film.

I also got in several films on friday that I saw over this weekend. Return Of The Living Dead Part II, and the Malevolence trilogy. Return Of The Living Dead Part II is still a lot of fun and more lighthearted than even the first film. The Malevolence trilogy is decidedly more serious than that film, and I remember when the first film came out back around 2005. I dug the film then, and seeing it again now, I still do. The sequel, Bereavement has Michael Biehn, John Savage, and ALEXANDRA DADDARIO in it, and is more slow paced due to it being more of a character study of an insane man turning a small boy he kidnapped into a killer like himself. I'm not wild about that one, but Alexandra Daddario kept things interesting for obvious reasons.

The third film I'd read had production problems, but it was interesting to see that it's supposed to take place in 1999 as did the first film, and this is a direct continuation after that one. So it was nice to see how they tried to keep things in place as a period piece even though there's still a lot of stuff in there that is obviously modern because you can't mask it. It was also cool seeing that the director brought back the actor who played the FBI agent at the tail end of the first film, and is the lead in the third film. He even brought back the actor who played the killer in the first film who is supposed to be 16 at that point, and is obviously looking much older than that now, but hey. It's a movie. Suspension of disbelief.

Right now Renata and I are watching Turbo. The film about that little snail that can somehow go fast due to an accident he has. I'm amused at some of the voice cast like Ryan Reynolds as the lead and LUIS GUZMAN as one half of a taco restaurant duo known as DOS BROS TACOS. We're having a good time with it.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

I think MANDY is the best film i've seen this year.

Really enjoyed Infinity War and Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again as well.
(10-14-2018, 04:55 AM)Felix Wrote: Review for Bruce Willis China War film AIR STRIKE (2018)

That sounds like a real shitshow; in the West people have heard about how Fan Bingbing vanished for three whole months then appeared and admitted to being involved in income tax evasion. I have no idea what to think there but I won't be seeing this film anyhow.

(10-14-2018, 04:41 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Yeah, when I was a kid The Swarm did have some stuff I found scary, like the picnic scene where the kid's parents get killed and he actually drives off in their car! Not to forget about seeing HUGE BEES.

Oh, definitely. Me, I laughed at how you purchased Coors, saw an old guy in a hot rod (which may be you in like 25 years!), and saw a movie I only recently found out about, Malevolence: Bereavement-of course it's something you would own considering it stars one of your favorite ladies-and also your Long John Silver's blowout.

Today I went to a sports bar to see the Chicago Bears play against the Miami Dolphins; I won't get into how the game turned out but at least I had a good lunch and brought home dinner for someone I know. Tonight should turn out fine, depending on what I watch.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
Haha, I did have quite a night yesterday. I was out most of the day also, and I was surprised at how quickly the weekend has come and gone.

I was perusing Youtube and discovered an HD clip of the picnic scene that was the thing of nightmares when I was a kid and that gave me a few chuckles now as an adult, and probably did in 2009 when I bought the dvd, but as it has been nearly 10 years since I last saw the movie, I can't remember. Maybe I should buy that Warner Archive blu next time they do a 5 for 50 deal?

Review for the Ip Man spin-off MASTER Z: IP MAN LEGACY.
Fairly chill weekend, this one.  Got out of work on Friday night and did my typical Long Walk across the city.  Got a coffee and a cookie as my Friday treat, checked out a music shop (bought nothing), jumped on the train and came home, poking around online reading not much in particular but going ahead and placing the order for those three BRUCE CAMPBELL movies.  I did elect to buy them separately, though, since the Amazon listings mentioned that that particular "Triple Feature" release was only one disc - so I felt like that lowered the probability of that pressing having all three commentaries plus all the extras, which are typically as fun if not more so when it comes to Bruce Campbell films.  Went to bed far too late and woke up far too early Saturday morning due to the cat, so I ended up going though my Saturday on only four hours' sleep, which was dicey but ended up being possible...

Since I was awake early, I got a move on and went to see Damien Chazelle's FIRST MAN with Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy. Like The Perfect Weapon, I really dug it.  I'm also a big fan of NASA and the Space Program, so this one was in my wheelhouse from the first scene.  Loved the narrative, the performances, the music score, the you-are-there POV aesthetic of much of the film's big moments (meant to put the viewer in the place of the character) and the quiet character stuff.  I liked WHIPLASH and loved LA LA LAND, so Chazelle is fast becoming one of my favorite "new" directors.  After that, I walked yet again.  Hitting up yet three more music shops, this time on an informal LASERDISC HUNT (found nothing I needed or wanted though).  One shop owner hipped me to a load of LDs he'd be getting and I stopped by to see if they'd arrived.  He wasn't there and there was nothing in yet, but I did manage to pick up a blu-ray of THE WILD BUNCH (1969), the gloriously-shot widescreen epic that I haven't seen since it's 1995 reissue.   Went home and watched another widescreen film I hadn't seen in a long, long time, Vincent Ward's MAP OF THE HUMAN HEART (1992, DVD).  Still like it, though it's a very European art-film take on an epic adventure.  What made me want to revisit it was that, after that 70mm film festival I checked out last month I'd found a list of films shot in the format and I didn't know that it was shot in "Panavision 65mm, released in 35mm only."  (Wikipedia)   Watching it on DVD on the HD, it looked fine but I'd love to see it in a blu-ray taken straight from the 65mm print.  Fairly unlikely, but I feel like it might make a difference.  (A blu was released in Austrailia but not the USA it seems).  Still enjoy the film, with nice work from Jason Scott Lee, Anne Parillaud (LA FEMME NIKITA), Patrick Bergin and in an early role... Ben Mendolsohn!  Afterwards, I popped in a DVD-R of mine of the widescreen LaserDisc of Michael Mann's THE KEEP (1983).  I like the film a lot, so I took a look at it on disc to check it for visual goodness.  Not a bad recording, though taken from the LD, then played on the HD screen through a blu-player.  I'm not sure about the aspect ratio, though.  Looks a little less wide than 2.35 to me.  It could be the screen, though, or the machine the disc was burned on.  Since the film isn't on DVD or blu-ray and probably never will be, I won't complain.  (Apologies for the cell-phone shots of the screen, not exactly reference level.)

Got up today and futzed around before going to see the new Robert Redford film THE OLD MAN AND THE GUN.  As I mentioned in that film's official Trouble City thread, I had a great time. It's old-fashioned, interested in character, small moments with big payoffs, charming, unassuming. The perfect Sunday afternoon film. Just a total pleasure.  Solid work from Redford, Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover, Tom Waits (!) and Tika Sumpter.  (Affleck was good though due to certain allegations, I still have mixed feelings about him, personally.)  Came home, cooked up some chicken and vegetables and now to do some reading before calling the weekend quits.  Never enough time, you know.
Sounds like you had quite the weekend as well, Engineer! I hear you about never having enough time. Like I mentioned previously, this weekend went WAY too fast. It feels like friday just happened yesterday and it's already sunday night and we're about to start another week.

(10-14-2018, 09:15 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Maybe I should buy that Warner Archive blu next time they do a 5 for 50 deal?

Considering that you've brought up the movie in your last few posts, I recommend that you do as at least subconsciously it is something you want to see again.

(10-14-2018, 11:25 PM)engineer Wrote: Fairly chill weekend, this one.

Yes it sounds like that was the case. I am glad you also saw First Man & was a big fan. I think Map of the Human Heart is new to me but considering the people involved and the plot it does sound like a good time, as in seeing The Keep in not VHS quality.

I feel exhausted tonight so I actually won't watch anything; I got wrapped up in watching TV so that was my viewing instead. Things should be back to normal on Monday.
"If they made CITIZEN KANE now, it would star Danny McBride and Rosebud would be the title of his favorite spank magazine when he was a teenager. "-- engineer, talking about modern movie making

My Letterboxd Page
Yes, I'm fairly certain that if I have the funds to take part in another Warner Archive sale (which I haven't done for several years now), I will definitely get The Swarm. At least if I want to see the movie soon, I can watch the dvd that I've got.

I'm about to head to bed, but I'm watching a bit of The Boogens. I haven't seen this since I bought the blu-ray as a blind buy back in 2012 because of the hype surrounding it as a formerly "lost" film that was finally getting a release. I remember pretty much nothing about it, and I've been trying to revisit some of the horror films I've had sitting there for a while for this month. So far I'm liking it. I have had a few laughs so far. Such as one of the two guys who have dates who have rented a house referring to himself as HORMONE MAN because his friend makes fun of him not needing much time to be with his girlfriend since their boss wants him to head out early into town to do a few things. I'm also amused at COORS BANQUET making an appearance as the beer of choice to be on display.

(10-14-2018, 11:45 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Sounds like you had quite the weekend as well, Engineer! I hear you about never having enough time. Like I mentioned previously, this weekend went WAY too fast. It feels like friday just happened yesterday and it's already sunday night and we're about to start another week.

Isn't that always the way?  

The Perfect Weapon wrote...
  ---------------------------------------------------
  ...it does sound like a good time, as in seeing The Keep in not VHS quality.

I just noticed that it is available for viewing in widescreen on DailyMotion, in two parts.  For those interested!
Looks much like the same sort of transfer...  Maybe even from the LD, though it is masked slightly differently.
I wish i had the chance to see THE KEEP. Though i did read the novel that it was based on.

Review of Stven Seagal's ATTRITION (2018)
https://asianfilmstrike.wordpress.com/20...18-review/
The Keep is imperfect, but I'll take it over Miami Vice or Public Enemies.

I myself just rewatched Judgment Night for the first time in many years. It was a film I remember watching back when I was a bigger presence in the thread. Didn't seem to get a ton of backing other than Erix. Holds up very well.

Easily Stephen Hopkins' best film, a nasty, no-bullshit riff on The Warriors and Assault on Precinct 13 that really makes you feel for the leads without much exposition. Hopkins really goes all in crafting this. More than Predator 2, it's got well staged action, moody cinematography, and some compelling shot composition. I forgot that there's a lot of split diopter shots that ramp up the tension.

That said, Denis Leary shoves the entire movie into his mouth as the villain. It's a shame that he never played a bad guy like this again. Even in The Ref, he's a sympathetic figure who has to deal with protagonists, for lack of a better word, who are just as virulent as he is. The way he plays the part is this strange portmanteau of Robin Williams' manic energy and James Woods' intensity and it's beautiful.

You've also got Alan Silvestri riffing on his Predator score with random bongos. And that rock/rap hybrid soundtrack is an all-timer.

There's gotta be a self-starter who can get this out on Blu-ray. I'd hope that Warner Bros. (who now has the rights) gave Scream Factory this movie, or will in the future.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
My review of Dragged Across Concrete!
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Loved reading that, especially the DEAD PRESIDENTS mention. Great work! Now I need the movie to come out.
I definitely thought of Dead Presidents a ton when it gets to the heist-related bits, especially towards the end.

Cinestate, one of the main financiers of the film, just retweeted my review:
[Image: 44118685_10213008433789132_2489710722364...e=5C4B8EEF]
(10-15-2018, 12:57 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: I'm about to head to bed, but I'm watching a bit of The Boogens.

I saw that a few years ago; it wasn't the scariest thing yet I thought it was fine, and I thought it was good that the characters were enjoyable.

(10-15-2018, 01:19 AM)engineer Wrote: I just noticed that it is available for viewing in widescreen on DailyMotion, in two parts.  For those interested!

Oh, neat.

(10-15-2018, 01:41 AM)huntertarantino Wrote: I myself just rewatched Judgment Night for the first time in many years.

It was last seen by me a few years ago; I always thought it was a good time since I first saw the movie back in the 90's. It'd also be nice if it could be put out on Blu. After all, what I saw a few years ago was a late 90's DVD release. I agree that the soundtrack is still aces.

(10-15-2018, 04:35 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: Cinestate, one of the main financiers of the film, just retweeted my review:

Awesome. It reminds me how when Rene reviewed Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, a phrase he said ended up in the national print advertising for the film.

My Letterboxd Page
That quote of mine making the national print advertising was the pinnacle of my brief time as a writer for CHUD. I will probably still write again down the line, but I'm VERY content with my single "claim to fame" being a quote of mine being used for advertising for one of the best action/horror films out there.

I've always liked Judgement Night, but I can't get behind the big time praise it gets. It has been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember being disappointed in it not being a big time action heavy as I was expecting it to be. I've got the Universal dvd, so one day I'll get around to seeing it again.

Saw this recently. I liked it better than the first film.

[Image: 9983_tn.jpg]
(10-15-2018, 10:59 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: That quote of mine making the national print advertising was the pinnacle of my brief time as a writer for CHUD. I will probably still write again down the line, but I'm VERY content with my single "claim to fame" being a quote of mine being used for advertising for one of the best action/horror films out there.

I do understand how you have more important things to worry about (like being a teacher or a father) and have put writing on the back burner.

(10-15-2018, 11:55 PM)Felix Wrote: Saw this recently. I liked it better than the first film.

I won't fault anyone for feeling that way. I am glad I saw both in one night as a respite for the time this summer when my A/C was not working... the first movie was on the laptop as I sat outside and I watched the sequel on an IMAX screen.

Tonight I revisited a movie from my youth, and it was a last minute decision. I noticed on TCM that as they do a few nights a year, they show random cartoons, shorts, and films from Disney, no matter how obscure. Tonight is one of those nights; that is why right about now The Black Hole just began and I recently finished viewing 1986's Flight of the Navigator. As an adult I now appreciate more the first half of the film, which is the mystery of how a 12 year old kid vanishes for 8 years and yet hasn't aged a day, while the second half (where you find out it's because of a sentient space ship) to be silly, especially when the ship's personality changes and it acts like Pee Wee Herman, because... it was voiced by Paul Reubens, billed as PAUL MALL.

Still, I'll say the movie is fine overall; most of it was tolerable when watched as a grownup. It is easy to laugh at how 80's it was, from a young boy having a sweet Miami Vice shirt to Alan Silvestri doing a synth score to the lead understandably being puzzled by a Blancmange music video.

My Letterboxd Page
(Yesterday, 12:27 AM)The Perfect Weapon Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:59 PM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: That quote of mine making the national print advertising was the pinnacle of my brief time as a writer for CHUD. I will probably still write again down the line, but I'm VERY content with my single "claim to fame" being a quote of mine being used for advertising for one of the best action/horror films out there.

I do understand how you have more important things to worry about (like being a teacher or a father) and have put writing on the back burner.

Tonight I revisited a movie from my youth, and it was a last minute decision. I noticed on TCM that as they do a few nights a year, they show random cartoons, shorts, and films from Disney, no matter how obscure. Tonight is one of those nights; that is why right about now The Black Hole just began and I recently finished viewing 1986's Flight of the Navigator.

Yes, real life as it always should took the reins, and that coupled with me being lazy has put my writing on the back burner, but I have been thinking of getting back into writing, and Bob Plissken and I still have the podcast that we'd do a whole lot more often if we could schedule it a bit better. One day we'll do another entry in our podcast, and one day I'll write more articles and reviews of the movies I love. Either that or I'll start doing video reviews!

The Black Hole I've got on dvd, but in all these years I've never seen Flight Of The Navigator. I've seen that the dvd is 5 bucks, but I'll probably just rent the dvd from Netflix in case I see it and don't like it. It will be a gas hearing Paul Ruebens as a spaceship and being credited as PAUL MALL.

Two retweets, nine likes from my last check.

Like Rene said, if this is my moment in the spotlight reviewing movies, that's fine by me.

I also completely forgot you got a pull quote in a newspaper ad!

The "plays with fire" quote wouldn't be my first choice. I thought "The buddy cop movie from hell" would hit better but emojis.
HORRIFIC NEWS!!!!

Reports indicate that Amazon's pre-order link for the planned November blu ray release of FREEJACK has been removed and that orders placed for the title so far have been cancelled.

Will provide more info as the story develops...
You know what I miss?  Good Killer Vehicle movies.  I don't care if it's a crazy driver or an alien shape-shifter or Satan himself at the wheel (though the ghostly unseen force is typically more interesting than crazy dude with a grudge).   But I want there to be a new classic.  Everyone loves DUEL. THE CAR. CHRISTINE.  Some of us maniacs even love b-movie junk like THE WRAITH and MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.   I loved Tarantino's DEATH PROOF but had some trouble getting into JOY RIDE and never did bother with its DTV sequels.  We need more.

Stephen King wrote a short story called MILE 81 that I hear is being adapted.  And both George Romero and Tobe Hooper failed to bring King's FROM A BUICK 8 to the screen.   Robert Harmon's HIGHWAYMAN (2004) was meh, certainly not in the league of Harmon's own classic THE HITCHER (1986), but still miles ahead of that overblown 2007 Platinum Dunes remake with Sean Bean.  I hear Liam Neeson is doing that film about the man who killed local baddies with a snow plow, though I really wouldn't mind something less conventional, as that sounds more like DEATH WISH IN WINTER than anything else to me.

Has anyone seen these things and can speak to their goodness or awfulness?  They look cheesy as hell.  Would love to see something by a real director who remembers what character and narrative are all about, and not just b-level offerings that look like The Asylum had a hand in the making.

ROAD KILL (2010):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVoidHfEPrg
SUPER HYBRID  (2010):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuuKKqeslU
(Yesterday, 05:29 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: HORRIFIC NEWS!!!!

Reports indicate that Amazon's pre-order link for the planned November blu ray release of FREEJACK has been removed and that orders placed for the title so far have been cancelled.

Slammed my fist down on a VCR like Will Graham at this news. Guess my DVD is staying with me for now.
A Die Hard Graphic novel just came out.
https://insighteditions.com/product/a-mi...%20(10/16)
(Yesterday, 05:53 PM)huntertarantino Wrote:

Slammed my fist down on a VCR like Will Graham at this news. Guess my DVD is staying with me for now.

I'm gonna try to weather the storm by grabbing an old paperback of Immortality Inc.
(Yesterday, 05:33 PM)engineer Wrote: You know what I miss?  Good Killer Vehicle movies.  I don't care if it's a crazy driver or an alien shape-shifter or Satan himself at the wheel (though the ghostly unseen force is typically more interesting than crazy dude with a grudge).   But I want there to be a new classic.  Everyone loves DUEL. THE CAR. CHRISTINE.  Some of us maniacs even love b-movie junk like THE WRAITH and MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE.   I loved Tarantino's DEATH PROOF but had some trouble getting into JOY RIDE and never did bother with its DTV sequels.  We need more.

Stephen King wrote a short story called MILE 81 that I hear is being adapted.  And both George Romero and Tobe Hooper failed to bring King's FROM A BUICK 8 to the screen.   Robert Harmon's HIGHWAYMAN (2004) was meh, certainly not in the league of Harmon's own classic THE HITCHER (1986), but still miles ahead of that overblown 2007 Platinum Dunes remake with Sean Bean.  I hear Liam Neeson is doing that film about the man who killed local baddies with a snow plow, though I really wouldn't mind something less conventional, as that sounds more like DEATH WISH IN WINTER than anything else to me.

Has anyone seen these things and can speak to their goodness or awfulness?  They look cheesy as hell.  Would love to see something by a real director who remembers what character and narrative are all about, and not just b-level offerings that look like The Asylum had a hand in the making.

ROAD KILL (2010):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVoidHfEPrg
SUPER HYBRID  (2010):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npuuKKqeslU

What about AWFUL GOODNESS?

Super Hybrid is actually pretty good. I liked it. I've also always wanted to see KILLDOZER.

(Yesterday, 12:52 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: The Black Hole I've got on dvd, but in all these years I've never seen Flight Of The Navigator. I've seen that the dvd is 5 bucks, but I'll probably just rent the dvd from Netflix in case I see it and don't like it.

Yeah, that is understandable; hopefully you do. After all, there's a young Sarah Jessica Parker with big 80's hair.

Well, that's just poppycock, isn't it?

(Yesterday, 06:10 PM)Felix Wrote: A Die Hard Graphic novel just came out.
https://insighteditions.com/product/a-mi...%20(10/16)

I am not sure why John McClane looks more like a bald Randy Quaid... but hopefully it's not A Good Die to Die Hard of graphic novels.

Today was another dull one; tonight I decided to continue the 80's nostalgia theme by seeing something else that I watched as a kid: Short Circuit 2. Of course a 1980's child would dig a movie featuring a cute & funny robot and I always liked it better than the original. Sure there are silly moments but it's fine overall... even if Fisher Stevens as a South Asian is rather awkward by today's standards; no wonder even Stevens regrets that now. Also, no surprise that the moment I remembered most was the LOS LOCOS gang, which is a 1980's movie gang in every way, and their catchphrase:

Los Locos kick your ass
Los Locos kick your face
Los Locos kick your balls into outer space!

As an adult I laughed when Michael McKean told Stevens that Cynthia Gibb has HIS JEANS STEAMING; understandable, I say...

My Letterboxd Page
(7 hours ago)The Perfect Weapon Wrote: I am not sure why John McClane looks more like a bald Randy Quaid... but hopefully it's not A Good Die to Die Hard of graphic novels.

Sure doesn't look like Bruno.

Also he's apparently fighting some sort of NICHOLSON-JOKER/V FOR VENDETTA hybrid.
This looks awful.