Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The B Action Movie Thread
Yeah, that was great.

I was watching one of the interviews on the set, and apparently they filmed the same scenes with Bruce and James Tien, and whoever was the most charismatic would have gone on to finish the movie as the "star", and the other would have died at the halfway point. Needless to say, Bruce prevailed.
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
There's another variation of that story, with James Tien being the backup, in case Bruce Lee ended up being a fraud or unable to to work with an Asian crew.  Whichever is the truth, it's hard to see now why there was ever any doubt.  

Even more interesting is where the prawn crackers (what they actually are apparently) came from.  There was a deleted scene (a couple of shots live on in a trailer) where Cheng knowing he is going to certain death (he has thrown away his belongings) goes back to the brothel for some action.  Not being able to find his friend from before (who has been killed), he settles for someone else.  After he was done, he picked up the crackers that were on the bedside table. 

I really wish WB would retire the near-useless Paul Heller commentary and let Micheal Polly or Mike Leeder do a commentary for the film.  The 50th anniversary of the film is just 3 years away, so maybe they are saving things for then.
(Yesterday, 07:11 PM)macready Wrote: Even more interesting is where the prawn crackers (what they actually are apparently) came from.  There was a deleted scene (a couple of shots live on in a trailer) where Cheng knowing he is going to certain death (he has thrown away his belongings) goes back to the brothel for some action.  Not being able to find his friend from before (who has been killed), he settles for someone else.  After he was done, he picked up the crackers that were on the bedside table. 

I really wish WB would retire the near-useless Paul Heller commentary and let Micheal Polly or Mike Leeder do a commentary for the film.  The 50th anniversary of the film is just 3 years away, so maybe they are saving things for then.

There's an "Alternate Footage" section, but I haven't checked to see if that scene is on there.

Leeder does commentary for all of the movies, save for ENTER THE DRAGON which is by Heller. Brandon Bentley does the other BIG BOSS commentary. Also, it looks like Polly does interview segments for all of the movies. (In fact, I think it was his interview I watched which brought up that anecdote.)
I was in a horror-comedy called BLACK HOLLER. It's now on Prime Video. Check it out!
(Yesterday, 07:56 AM)Shreds Wrote:
(Yesterday, 01:15 AM)Rene (Mr.Eko) Wrote: Not all of the extras have been finalized yet, and a few months back one of the Vinegar Syndrome guys tweeted that he had workprints for all of the films, and specifically noted he had one for Part 2 that contains all the deleted gore. This makes me think either we will get that footage on the extras discs, or they may make a hybrid cut of an HD transfer with the deleted gore as SD inserts. Most hate that type of stuff, but either way I'm fine as long as we get that legendary uncut footage.

If they actually have the uncut footage that would be huge news. Paramount has claimed it was lost for years and years. But Paramount also never gave a crap about F13. Let's hope this is true. That set looks awesome. Love the artwork.

That tweet (which was up for months, but "coincidentally" got deleted not long after the rumors started circulating about this new boxset) was a pretty big revelation as for years it has been stated that no other footage could be found. I've followed the franchise for years, and I remember when the first dvd boxset subtitled "From Crystal Lake To Manhattan" was announced, and the guy who was putting it together was quoted as saying "I'm dying to prove you wrong." when someone brought up uncut versions. Uncut versions weren't put out, but some deleted footage was found. That was 2004. Then in 2009 deluxe edition dvds were put together and supervised by Daniel Farrands (the guy who wrote Halloween 6 and has shepherded documentaries for both the Halloween and Friday The 13th franchises) where he and others scoured the Paramount vaults for footage and other extras. They found some new stuff and recorded some new commentaries, but still no deleted gore. They even said they had gone through everything and couldn't find anything else.

I do remember though, and this is from Peter Bracke's Crystal Lake Memories book, that Greg Nicotero mentioned in his interview that Carl Fullerton had a vhs tape where he showed him the full version of the double impalement bed kill from Friday The 13th part 2. That meant that there was some footage out there. This is pretty big news though if there are indeed workprints of ALL of the movies out there, and not just small bits of footage out there that the effects guys have on tape.

(Yesterday, 04:24 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: They show a clip of him in some early films, including TOXIC AVENGER 2 which I had no idea he was in.

You know who else is in Toxic Avenger 2? The big bodyguard for Sugai from Black Rain. He plays the fake Japanese father of The Toxic Avenger, BIG MAC BUNKO.

Here he is standing behind Sato in Black Rain since I couldn't find a good shot of him in The Toxic Avenger Part II.

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQWAbNF3aoXYIKh2R5lM...Q&usqp=CAU]

(Yesterday, 06:45 PM)Shreds Wrote: Outlaw Vern posted an overview of Bruce Lee's films on his website for the Criterion blurays and in it he refers to a scene from THE BIG BOSS where Bruce Lee keeps eating chips as he faces down his foes. Someone in the comment section found it on youtube and this scene is indeed glorious.

I've only seen this movie once, and now I know I need to pick up that Bruce Lee Criterion set to see these movies in HD. I've got them on dvd in a collection I got about 10 years ago for about 10 bucks at Walmart, and those transfers aren't the greatest.
Shake: I bring you news you give me grief. You know they all think you're dead.

The Punisher: They'll kill each other now.

Yeah, all my Bruce Lee films are pretty cheap looking dvds. I need to give them a proper upgrade.
It's strange; having grown up on watching the Bruce Lee films on censored VHS, it was revelatory to see them in their original language and with the full aspect ratio.  

Now, with 4K remasters, it's amazing how poor the dvds look, in comparison.
I had seen the movies very long ago (save for Enter the Dragon, which I saw again a couple of years back), but this really did feel like watching for the first time.

I toggled between the Chinese and English audio tracks, and the English one has a different score, I guess for "Western ears"; There's a short 2-3 minute extra covering that, and there's another option of watching it in Chinese with the Peter Thomas score.

Correction: there are actually three different scores!
Looks like Dacascos's ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK is a huge misfire.
https://cityonfire.com/one-night-in-bang...ore-106342

Kane Kosugi is only in it for 5 mins.
(Today, 03:30 AM)Mangy Wrote: I had seen the movies very long ago (save for Enter the Dragon, which I saw again a couple of years back), but this really did feel like watching for the first time.

I toggled between the Chinese and English audio tracks, and the English one has a different score, I guess for "Western ears"; There's a short 2-3 minute extra covering that, and there's another option of watching it in Chinese with the Peter Thomas score.

Correction: there are actually three different scores!
Love these details. Keep us posted if you find more goodness in the box set.

(Today, 07:40 AM)Felix Wrote: Looks like Dacascos's ONE NIGHT IN BANGKOK is a huge misfire.
https://cityonfire.com/one-night-in-bang...ore-106342

Kane Kosugi is only in it for 5 mins.

Shame about the film, but that takedown is one for the ages.
I like Bruce Lee as a character and a personality, but I never really "enjoyed" a Bruce Lee film.  Enter The Dragon might be the closest one I've actually enjoyed.  But I definitely like the dance like fights in a Jackie Chan film than the quick bursts of violence in a Bruce Lee film.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Just put on FIST OF FURY for some morning fisticuffs. This is also on Tubi, so for comparison, I watched the first few minutes of that...the stream actually isn't *too* terrible, but obviously the Blu is better.

(10 hours ago)ska oreo Wrote: I like Bruce Lee as a character and a personality, but I never really "enjoyed" a Bruce Lee film.  Enter The Dragon might be the closest one I've actually enjoyed.  But I definitely like the dance like fights in a Jackie Chan film than the quick bursts of violence in a Bruce Lee film.

Chan creates amazing setpieces, and his team is remarkable...From a filmmaking standpoint, I can definitely see that (although it's not like even POLICE STORY is without its dead spots.) Chan's choreography is great at making it look like he's surviving by the skin of his teeth; Lee is immediately the baddest motherfucker in any room he steps into, and the joy comes from watching him decimate folks. As I type this, dozens of people are writhing on the ground while Bruce stands over them, almost bored. Dude's sheer presence was one of a kind.

Confession: I've never seen THE WAY OF THE DRAGON! Already looking forward to the Lee/Norris showdown.
Fist of Fury is such an angry film. Bruce is just this vengeance machine.
(9 hours ago)Shreds Wrote: Fist of Fury is such an angry film. Bruce is just this vengeance machine.
The title is truly apt. Bruce is PISSED. As with seemingly 95 percent of all movies, the obligatory love interest drags it down slightly, but otherwise really good.

One cool extra on here: It looks like they interview the guy who did all of the English dubs for Bruce's voice. This thing is really comprehensive. The extras listed on the Criterion page doesn't cover all of it.
FIST OF FURY lapses into the pro-China propaganda at times, and there's a bit of a dead spot in the second act, but otherwise I really dug it....great final shot!

The first act of WAY OF THE DRAGON is a little slog-gy, but when it picks up the good stuff is GREAT. In the interview with Polly, he describes it Lee's attempt at a "spaghetti Eastern," and the score (which Lee had input in, and even played on) reflects that. The Norris/Lee fight is as great as advertised. I like ENTER THE DRAGON more than this ultimately, and I think I might put THE BIG BOSS ahead of it too, just as start-to-finish movies.
Trailer for Jamie Foxx and Joe Levitt in Netflix’s PROJECT POWER:

I might be on board with this if the CGI didn’t look so horrid.
(5 hours ago)Mangy Wrote: FIST OF FURY lapses into the pro-China propaganda at times, and there's a bit of a dead spot in the second act, but otherwise I really dug it....great final shot!

The film does drag when Bruce is not around, but I don't see how it qualifies as propaganda, when it is set during a period of occupation when humiliation was a daily occurrence.  It certainly has nothing on the scale of USA propaganda, like a typical Michael Bay film.  There's certainly no flag waving in it, from what i recall. 

Overall, it is the best Bruce Lee film, in my opinion. With only 4 completed films, I do wonder where things would have gone if he had lived.  Would he have ended up making some of the same kind of embarrassing shit that Jackie Chan got lumbered with?  Highly likely, one imagines.
The relentless first half FIST is great, then there's this 15-20 minute stretch where I kinda zoned out before locking back in. Looks great, though.

I mean, the movie's viewpoint is CLEARLY "China good, Japan bad" in a way the other movies aren't ("NO DOGS OR CHINESE ALLOWED", says the sign at the bad guy's embassy. I wonder if Tarantino got his stuff in Hateful Eight from there). A movie doesn't have to be Triumph of the Will to be propaganda.

I'd put FIST maybe just behind BIG BOSS, but I'll be the boring guy and pick ENTER THE DRAGON as my fave. Another thing I liked about FIST was Bruce donning disguises and acting goofy. In Polly's interview, he mentions that Jerry Lewis was Lee's idol as a kid growing up, which inspires that one silly disguise.
Vern reviews Charlie Theron's THE OLD GUARD (2020).
http://outlawvern.com/2020/07/15/the-old...nt-3417568