Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haruki Murakami
I liked Kafka on the Shore, but mostly for the Nakata/Hoshino/Colonel Sanders chapters.  The "Kafka" chapters were less compelling for me. Norwegian Wood is great, yep.  I really liked the film, too.  Sputnik was okay, though I don't recall many details.  1Q84 took a long, long time, but once a certain character from another Murakami novel showed up (no spoiler), I was all-in again.  

I actually still have a couple to get through: the short story collection Men Without Women, his Seiji Ozawa interview Absolutely On Music and a couple of books about him; one called A Wild Haruki Chase and one by his translator Jay Rubin, Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words.
And I picked up the book set for less than 30 dollars. There is a beautiful signed, aluminium cased version, and I love my buddy, but not $1000 worth of love.
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Which book is this now? Have a link?
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet...1-_-title8
"Wilford Brimley can't be bothered to accept praise. He doesn't act because he thinks people will enjoy his work. He acts because it's his goddamned job." --Will Harris, AV Club
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, looks like a nice gift!
Jesus, I was 28 when I started this thread. Haven't read any Murakami in a while, but I should do that when I get a chance.
Finally finished up Killing Commendatore, last night.  While I won't say it's my least favorite HM novel, I can say it's probably the one I'll be revisiting the least. Not a bad one, really, just far too long and drawn out. It's four-hundred pages' worth of story told in seven-hundred pages. The Murakami vibe that fans know and love is there but available in spurts rather than in a continuous flow. Something "Haruki" happens about every hundred pages or so, then we're back into everyday life and events seventy years in the past that aren't so compelling nor necessarily connect in a satisfying way. That said, there is one great other-worldly character here that perks everything up every time he comes into the story (he's almost as fun as The Sheep Man) and the book's adventure climax is among Murakami's most memorable. The book itself, though, is probably for the most hardcore HM fans, only. And even they, like me, might check out here and there.
Nice interview with him here. Comes off like the most normal dude on Earth.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-ne...i-murakami