Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original climax for DIAMONDS conceived to be much bigger and more grand than what we got?  Certainly the frogmen assault was going to be part of the thing, as that element was cut so late that the frogmen made it onto the poster...
[Image: 348329.png]

...but I believe the original intention was for Blofeld to escape in his little capsule and for Bond to give chase, eventually trapping him in a mine of some sort back on the coast and having a final confrontation inside.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I know in the script the climax was supposed to be Bond chasing Blofeld into a mine and killing him. That might be on the making of doc on the original Bond box sets.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(06-14-2018, 10:50 PM)chaz Wrote: I know in the script the climax was supposed to be Bond chasing Blofeld into a mine and killing him. That might be on the making of doc on the original Bond box sets.

That's pretty much what it was. The reason it was scrapped was partly a budget thing. Mankiewicz mentioned in his SUPERMAN II commentary that the reason they didn't kill Lex Luthor was the same reason for not killing Blofeld, so he could be used in future films. TSWLM was supposed to be the return of Blofeld, until the McClory thing became a bigger issue.
Watching Skyfall on IFC right now. Such a damn good movie. I’d forgotten how well done the fight against the assassin was, set against the neon and shadows. Great fight and so pretty.

And distracting or not, Connery as Kincaid should have happened. Calling Bond a “jumped up little shit” would have been amazing.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(06-16-2018, 10:26 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Watching Skyfall on IFC right now. Such a damn good movie. I’d forgotten how well done the fight against the assassin was, set against the neon and shadows. Great fight and so pretty.

And distracting or not, Connery as Kincaid should have happened. Calling Bond a “jumped up little shit” would have been amazing.
As would have, "Welcome to Scotland."
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Indeed.

Still don’t like them having Bond cry when M dies. But the ending in the old school looking office is so good.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(06-16-2018, 11:12 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Indeed.

Still don’t like them having Bond cry when M dies. But the ending in the old school looking office is so good.

...and yet utterly contrived and hollow. I can understand why the ending appeals to some, but I get no mileage out of it at all. Especially in the light of them not being able to commit to the "new era" in the next film without trying to deconstruct it and relaying on the involvement of Dench's M as a plot crutch.
Connery might have worked, there’s already a slightly dreamlike quality to the end of the movie, what with Bond getting in his Goldfinger car and driving off into his past.
First look at some of the stuff that Orlebar Brown is going to be releasing for their Bond collection:

The THUNDERBALL and DR. NO ones...WANT.

Surprised there isn't one for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (with the Lotus sailing off of the pier into the water) or for FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (considering how much water figures into the action sequences).
In more Bond news, we might be finally getting some Lego sets: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-tease...ames-bond/
Re: the Orlebar shorts. That Thunderball design is... a bold choice.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I love it.  Personally, I'm surprised that they don't have a pair with this scene from TSWLM:
[Image: tswlmlotussub1.jpg]

Although this would be cool as well:
[Image: 3_Poster.jpg]
(Yesterday, 10:38 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: In more Bond news, we might be finally getting some Lego sets: https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-tease...ames-bond/

Giant LEGO playsets of Ken Adam's set designs - like Blofeld's volcano lair from YOLT, or the tanker from TSWLM - would be interesting to see.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I was thinking specifically of the TSWLM tanker set when I read about that. Drax's Amazonian Moonraker base or Moonraker space station would be really cool as well.
Holographic double taking pigeon or no sale!
Strategically placed golden gun or no sale...preferably with a quote from the Lulu song.

"He's got a powerful weapon..."

I'm talking about the trunks, natch.