Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with
I totally get it too. Such a great scene.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Welp....I know what I'm watching tonight (right after Deadpool 2)..
OHMSS would probably be my top Bond film of all time if it actually had a leading actor in it. Sorry, Lazenby just doesn't cut it for me. And I don't agree about his delivery of the one liners, especially as they always seemed awkwardly placed and dubbed in *lips obviously not moving* "HE'S BRANCHED OFF!"

That said, Codename, when you do get to DAF it's highly recommended that you just watch it as another Connery Bond film that came after YOLT. It was never meant to be viewed as a follow up to OHMSS.
(08-27-2018, 07:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: OHMSS would probably be my top Bond film of all time if it actually had a leading actor in it. Sorry, Lazenby just doesn't cut it for me. And I don't agree about his delivery of the one liners, especially as they always seemed awkwardly placed and dubbed in *lips obviously not moving* "HE'S BRANCHED OFF!"

It would have been atop my list if Connery had been in the role. Lazenby wasn’t terrible but he just seems off. The one liners don’t quite pop like they would have with Connery (or even Moore), etc... Stuff like the “Hilly” scenes I think would have been done a bit different (they feel like they belong in a Moore era film).

I think the chemistry between Connery and Rigg would have been off the charts and watching the harder edged Bond we saw in the first 5 movies being broken down by her would have been a fantastic watch. After all we did see a bit of that between Bond and Aki in YOLT, so imagine it ramped up to 11.

But in a perfect world they would have gone in book order for the Blofeld trilogy, Thunderball, OHMSS then YOLT.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
One of the many great things about OHMSS is that it requires no suspension of disbelief that Tracy could make Bond a one woman man: she is a beautiful, classy, woman of action.

I think Lazenby is great in the role. He is as convincing as being suave as he is in the fight scenes. Speaking of the fight scenes, what landed him the role was when he was rehearsing a fight scene and he accidently knocked the stunt man out because he didn't know how to pull a punch.

Finally I love his delivery of, "I'm sorry darling. Guns make me nervous."
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(08-27-2018, 07:08 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: That said, Codename, when you do get to DAF it's highly recommended that you just watch it as another Connery Bond film that came after YOLT. It was never meant to be viewed as a follow up to OHMSS.

I can see why. You could kiiiiiiinda see the pre-credit sequence as Bond on a vengeance crusade to kill Blofeld for Tracy but the rest doesn't really work for that.

So...

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

I think my main issue with this movie is that it's just incredibly pedestrian and boring. Visiting exotic locales is such an important part of the Bond DNA and I'm sorry but Las Vegas and the Nevada desert just doesn't cut it in that department. And having three movies in a row have Blofeld ransom the planet with his doomsday weapon has just gotten a bit tired. And it doesn't help that this one is probably the weakest of the three. With a much less exciting climax.

And speaking of Blofeld...Charles Gray is not cut out for the role, sorry. There's a presence that both Donald Plesence and Telly Savalas bring to the role that Gray just lacks. And seeing Blofeld in drag is just...weird.

Still, it's not without it's charms. Connery seems much more engaged than he was in Thunderball and YOLT. Probably helped by the piles of money they used to lure him back. The women are just jaw droppingly GORGEOUS all round. Both Tiffany Case but especially Plenty O'Toole who is all kinds of YOWZA! The elevator fist fight is the best set piece in the movie and Mr. Kidd & Mr. Wint are pretty fantastic henchmen. But overall, nah. Thunderball at least has SCUBA WAR which makes it immediately better.

Updated RANKS!

1) From Russia With Love
2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
3) Dr. No
4) Goldfinger
5) You Only Live Twice
6) Thunderball
7) Diamonds Are Forever

Now, on to Moore, who I've never been crazy about but let's see if that opinion changes.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Watched bits of OHMSS and DAF today. One of the Starz channels is doing a mini-marathon. 2 quick thoughts...

I forgot that while the music is awesome, the title sequence in OHMSS is shitty. It’s just clips of the previous movies and a few well placed naked lady silhouettes.

And for DAF, I really do love Tiffany Case. The bit at the gas station gets me every time.
(09-02-2018, 04:22 PM)Paul755 Wrote: I forgot that while the music is awesome, the title sequence in OHMSS is shitty. It’s just clips of the previous movies and a few well placed naked lady silhouettes.

Yeah, it always seemed a little low-rent to me, too. Barry's killer score makes up for it, though.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
It's not the strongest sequence by Maurice Binder, but that melody is so damned good that I honestly don't care.
Oh yeah, the song is top notch. Easily a top 5 Bond song.
OHMSS seems a sequel to Thunderball.

Diamonds are Forever seems a sequel to You Only Live Twice.

And to me, they are two different continuities. One that I vastly prefer to the other..
LIVE AND LET DIE

Giving it a few days to think about...I'd say I quite liked, but didn't love this overall. Part of that comes from the fact that, as I mentioned, I've never been a big fan of Moore as Bond. Moore himself, he's always great. He's a funny and a charming as hell presence. But, for me personally, the character of Bond needs to have an edge. A sense of danger. He can be suave one minute but a brutal killer the next. Something Connery and even Lazenby excelled at. But Moore's almost TOO charming that I find he lacks that needed edge.

The overall plot, even if it can basically be condensed to Bond vs. Black People, is actually quite good. I really enjoyed the sense that Bond's almost constantly a step behind the bad guys even though he sometimes felt a bit too passive when he walks into a trap for the umpteenth time. Yaphet Kotto's Kananga is a pretty entertaining villain. I just wish Baron Samedi was in it more. Jane Seymour is...well, it's Jane Seymour.

The chase scene in the middle goes on quite a bit too long and the presence of the yokel sherrif is quite annoying. The final confrontation made up for it though. Great sets, the turtleneck look's amazing and Kananga's death and ensuing quip got me good.

So yeah, overall I found this entertaining if nothing remarkable.

Theme song by Paul McCartney is straight fire though.

RANKINGS

1) From Russia With Love
2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
3) Dr. No
4) Goldfinger
5) You Only Live Forever
6) Thunderball
7) Live and Let Die
8) Diamonds Are Forever
I had an uncle who insisted that "Live and Let Die" wasn't a good theme song, on the grounds that it "wasn't something Bond would listen to." I was too young and non-confrontational at the time to tell him how very wrong he was.

I'm enjoying these write-ups, Codename. It makes me want to re-watch these movies myself.
Well, Bond did slag off the Beatles, so maybe he has a point.
(09-03-2018, 11:14 AM)Paul C Wrote: Well, Bond did slag off the Beatles, so maybe he has a point.

I should clarify that I agree it's probably not something Bond would choose to listen to, but I hold that that isn't necessary for a good theme song, and that "Live and Let Die" is just a great track any way you look at it. In hindsight, I guess my argument would've been, "Yeah, but it rocks. Overruled!"

Also, it was Connery's Bond who made the crack about the Beatles. For some reason, I feel like Moore would find them amusing, but not understand what all the fuss is about.
Oh it’s a banger for the ages, no doubt.

Fun question though, what a Bond-approved Bond theme would be like. Did the books ever go into his musical tastes? I don’t really imagine him as a guy with a very deep interest in culture beyond whatever general knowledge might be useful in the field.

I could imagine Connery's Bond having the kind of quaint old jazz pop crooner ballad 78’s you might find in your grand (or great-grand) parents attic. Maybe some Sinatra. Moore’ Bond would probably like easy listening like Val Doonican.

Craig's Bond probably went clubbing to acid house in the late 80’s.
It may even be in "Live and Let Die" the novel, but somewhere, IIRC, Fleming has Bond say that he likes the proto-R&B group the Ink Spots. Their tunes would probably be too mellow for even an early theme, though.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
LALD may have Moore's best quips as Bond.
"You must never go in there without a Mongoose."

"Don't worry darling, its just a small hat, belonging to a man of limited means, who lost a fight with a chicken."

An eagle eyed Chewer earlier in this thread pointed out that Moore  briefly looks enraged when he is told someone checked in as Mrs. Bond. Moore was good at playing Bond's lost over Tracy.

Finally I've always liked the closing shot of the movie.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
It's certainly better than The Man with the Golden Gun, I'll give it that..
(09-02-2018, 08:45 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: OHMSS seems a sequel to Thunderball.

Diamonds are Forever seems a sequel to You Only Live Twice.

And to me, they are two different continuities. One that I vastly prefer to the other..

I think Thunderball, OHMSS and Diamonds all flow together well. YOLT always feels like the odd one out. 

(09-03-2018, 02:18 PM)Paul C Wrote: Oh it’s a banger for the ages, no doubt.

Fun question though, what a Bond-approved Bond theme would be like. Did the books ever go into his musical tastes? I don’t really imagine him as a guy with a very deep interest in culture beyond whatever general knowledge might be useful in the field.

I could imagine Connery's Bond having the kind of quaint old jazz pop crooner ballad 78’s you might find in your grand (or great-grand) parents attic. Maybe some Sinatra. Moore’ Bond would probably like easy listening like Val Doonican.

Craig's Bond probably went clubbing to acid house in the late 80’s.

Yeah, Sir Paul really kills it with LALD. Easily my favorite. Infact, for top 5 I’ll go...

Live and Let Die
Nobody Does it Better
OHMSS
Skyfall
Goldfinger

I’ve always seen Connery, Moore and Dalton as Jazz guys. Maybe some classical. Sinatra seems dead on for the trio, especially Connery. Although, if you do count “the Rock” as a non-canon Old Man Bond adventure (as I do) he did meet his Baby Mama at a Led Zepplin concert. 

Brosnan and Craig I could see enjoying just about anything, including some Rock and Roll. Hell, I wouldn’t doubt Craig-Bond liking SOME rap music.
Craig Bond would totally rock some Eminem..
Happy 79th birthday to George Lazenby!
[Image: latest?cb=20130223174715]
Playing Bond seems to be good for the lifespan.

Incidentally I googled James Bond Music Taste the other day and was taken to a reddit thread where someone made the excellent suggestion that Dalton's Bond seems like the kind of guy who'd sit in his room brooding to the sound of Phil Collins in the dark.
Dalton's Bond strikes me as someone who'd be into the Thompson Twins and Howard Jones. Heavily.
Is there even a doubt that Connery jams to The Slaps?