Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with
Sometimes Judas' raw directness makes me discharge a beverage through my nasal passages at a most unfortunate time. That said, I heartily agree.

Guy Hamilton really was the worst wasn't he(ok, Marc Forster and Lee Tamahori are the worst but you know what I mean)?
No, no, I don't know what you mean.
(12-01-2018, 05:13 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Sometimes Judas' raw directness makes me discharge a beverage through my nasal passages at a most unfortunate time. That said, I heartily agree.

Guy Hamilton really was the worst wasn't he(ok, Marc Forster and Lee Tamahori are the worst but you know what I mean)?

Lee Tamahori directed The Edge.  I'll hear none of this.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

I'll see your Edge and raise you an Along Came a Spider, Die Another Day and XXX 2: The One Without Vin. The Edge was a fluke. So was Once Were Warriors..
(12-01-2018, 05:23 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: The Edge was a fluke. So was Once Were Warriors..

That's two good movies!  Its only a fluke if its one!

Fluke was used plurally! Like sheep! Those two movies were fluke..
You can't just decide that a word means what you want!

I have no rebuttal for this..
I like the seedier, Vegas vibe of DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. After the sweeping, epic approach of OHMSS, I think it's kind of fun to immediately go in a different direction. Keeps the series feeling fresh, especially if you're watching the movies in order.

I still wish we had gotten a different Blofeld, or a non-Blofeld villain altogether; as much as I like Charles Gray and the dialogue Tom Mankiewicz gives him, he's just too far removed from the credible sense of threat that Savalas brought to the role, or even the overt sinister flair that Pleasence gave the part. More than anything else, it's Blofeld that brings DAF down many pegs for me.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Charles Gray in You Only Live Twice was Blofeld all along. Donald Pleasance was just the Ken Watanabe to Gray's Liam Neeson. Except way less awesome..
THE EDGE was on again a couple of nights ago and I ended up watching the last half hour or so. Fantastic film. I recall ONCE WERE WARRIORS being excellent as well.

Just because the man knocked it out of the park on twice doesn't mean that he gets a pass for being shit on a stick for everything else.
How does a director do two really good films like that and then make stuff as bad as XXX 2 and Die Another Day? How do you go from one extreme to the other like that? Did he do some films in between that I'm forgetting? Because going from The Edge to Along Came a Spider is a HARSH drop in quality..
Cocaine?

Of the six actors to take on the Bond mantle, none of them have been completely daft. That said, I like to rank their reigns with a baseball average. Lazenby had the benefit of batting a thousand, just because he only appeared in one entry. That said, here's how I would rank the lot.

Lazenby 1.000
Connery .666 (not counting NSNA)
Dalton .500
Brosnan .500
Craig .500
Moore .428
(12-01-2018, 01:33 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I think some of you grossly underestimate Connery being able to pull off OHMSS, just to give Lazenby that edge as if he brought something Connery couldn't, and we all know this was the kind of Bond film Connery was hungry for but got impatient when EON kept going more outlandish with YOLT. If anything, it would have been a refreshing change of pace at the time to see the man we saw in previous films become emotionally vulnerable for the first time with Tracy and I think if done right would have instantly made the film a better regarded film than it did for most of the 20th century. Keep in mind, they made OHMSS with Lazenby and tried so hard to convince audiences that he was the exact same guy that we saw since 1962 "same old James!" only played by a different actor. They were not trying to convince you that this was an entirely different interpretation of the character like they later would with the following four actors that took the role and put their own unique spin. If there is something Lazenby brought that Connery was lacking in it was the physicality in action scenes. I'll give him that.

Later in the years Diana Rigg would remark how she wish she had a different leading man in OHMSS than Lazenby, and that leading man she had in mind wasn't just Connery but also Roger Moore, who I would have loved to see do this as much as Connery. If that all worked out it certainly would have made a nicer transition for the series to just go from Connery to Moore without the chaos between 67-73 where each consecutive film had a different lead.

This was the exact bit I was getting at with Connery. Watching this guy who was the smartest, quickest, toughest guy in the room having his “armor stripped away” as Craig’s Bond would put it, could have been fantastic. And I think Connery could have pulled it off. But that’s not to say Lazenby did a poor job at all. He was fine. I’m just saying Connery would have been better.

It’s (IMO) arguably the one time in the series where continuity in the actors was the most important.

(12-01-2018, 01:35 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Lazenby was the right Bond for that film. That was probably the only film that that sentence could apply to.

But alas we’ll never know. It’s one of those things, maybe he would have been better in DAF or LALD?
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
With a few tweaks I could see Lazenby working in DAF.  A Lazenby version of LALD would require a page 1 rewrite.  The Moore films have really grown on me, but his reign is tonally the most unique of all the Bonds.
I would have liked to see how Mankiewicz would have wrote for Lazenby. What I always appreciated was the extra step he took when it came to writing for his Bonds. He would collaborate with the actors to get a sense of what their strengths were and then write the role with their sensibilities in mind, which is why Moore effortlessly slipped into the role on his first go with Mankiewicz putting a lot more emphasis on Bond's urbane qualities, like the scene where Bond is being measured by his tailor and selecting a tie before heading off to the New Orleans bar.