Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best of BOND; Let's get this over with
(Yesterday, 11:28 AM)bradito Wrote: Any bottom five that doesn't include QoS is incomplete.

The shortest installment with the lamest villain and the weakest henchman. Action sequences are undermined by incoherent editing. An unnecessary retread of Bond's arc from the previous film. It's just such a comedown from CR.

All the Bond movies graded, my list.  

Meanwhile, onto sunrises in Japan. Looks like the upgrade from BD to 4K is no different than the last three films in that it loses the magenta for more natural tones, which is most apparent on the last cap with Connery having proper sun tan and the sea looking like a proper blue.

2012 FOX BD
[Image: 02YOLTBD.jpg]

2017 iTunes 4K
[Image: 02YOLT4K.png]

2012 FOX BD
[Image: 05YOLTBD.jpg]

2017 iTunes 4K
[Image: 05YOLT4K.png]

2012 FOX BD
[Image: 08YOLTBD.jpg]

2017 iTunes 4K
[Image: 08YOLT4K.png]

2012 FOX BD
[Image: 09YOLTBD.jpg]

2017 iTunes 4K
[Image: 09YOLT4K.png]

2012 FOX BD
[Image: 12YOLTBD.jpg]

2017 iTunes 4K
[Image: 12YOLT4K.png]
Okay, I can't find any information on when these 4k releases will actually be available to purchase as physical media.

What the hell?

(Yesterday, 03:44 PM)Overlord Wrote: Okay, I can't find any information on when these 4k releases will actually be available to purchase as physical media.

What the hell?

If MGM is going by the same playbook they used with DVD and blu-ray releases, they probably won't come out until March. I won't expect any news on it until at least November.
2 of my bottom 5 flex around a bit but the bottom 3 are pretty locked in...

20. QoS (easily Craig’s weekest)
21. Man with the Golden Gun (“I sure am boy” is still hilarious though)
22. Moonraker (a fantastic performance by Lonsdale can’t polish this turd)
23. A View to a Kill (old man Moore snowboarding to The Beach Boys...nuff said)
24. Die Another Day (everything up to his escape from the hospital is so good though)
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I'd take QOS over SP any day of the week.

The pacing is better (even if the editing is not). The Bond girls are better, the locations are better (how Spectre made Rome seem boring and dead is beyond me), and the villain is better.

The theme songs are both tepid so we'll call that one a draw.
I didn’t like “Writing’s On the Wall” when I first heard it, but it grew on me.

I didn’t like “Another Way to Die” when I first heard it, over time it’s become my least favorite title song.
"Writing's On the Wall" is an okay song completely undone by the singer. I love the orchestration.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Sheriff Pepper kind of stinks up "Man with the Golden Gun," but Christopher Lee as a Bond villain and Britt Eckland as a Bond Girl aren't without their merits.

Mid-tier Bond for me!
(8 hours ago)Belloq87 Wrote: "Writing's On the Wall" is an okay song completely undone by the singer.  I love the orchestration.

Amen. It’s a terrible performance, going falsetto like Smith does hurts it so bad. 

Die Another Day...worst song. 

The World is Not Enough, sneaky good song.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
I agree about both DAD and TWINE.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
QOS is mid-tier for me. Craig is great and I like the story, but the action scenes are poorly edit; yes I know that is understatement.

Back to Spectre, I stand by my statement that it seems like it was made by people who don't like Bond movies. I do know that Mendes also directed Skyfall, which is feel is all that is right with the series. I don't know what happened in between movies to make something so different and so bad.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Weird, my chief complaint about Skyfall is that it's a movie that seems to be made by people that don't like Bond. But I've always been the outlier who wasn't won over by Skyfall.
Enough of the worst, time for the best.

TOP 5

1. From Russia with Love
2. Goldfinger
3. Skyfall
4. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
5. Dr. No
Nah, let's keep talking about what sucks.
Okay,

“Another Way to Die” worst song of the series.
"Skyfall" is pretty much everything a Bond song should be.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Again...gotta go with Die Another Day..
Controversial opinion: That song is not in my bottom five. I’d even go as far as saying it’s as bold and fresh in 2002 as Duran Duran’s “A View to a Kill” was in 1985. Maybe in 1989 Madonna would have tried to crank out a traditional boring Bond song, but of course 2002 Madonna was gonna whip out some electroclash and not give a fuck, and I totally respect that over dull as fuck “traditional” songs like TND and TWINE.
(7 hours ago)bradito Wrote: Weird, my chief complaint about Skyfall is that it's a movie that seems to be made by people that don't like Bond. But I've always been the outlier who wasn't won over by Skyfall.

Not being anything close to a die hard fan of the series or character, I can actually see this and kinda agree. And TBH it's probably a reason I love the film so much: it's not overly beholden to tropes or expectations. 

And I don't think you're the outlier in these parts, brad. I love SKYFALL (probably my favorite Bond film) but I seem to recall a lot of folks here not digging it. 

(5 hours ago)hammerhead Wrote: "Skyfall" is pretty much everything a Bond song should be.

Agreed. Easily within the top 5 Bond songs. Hell, top three IMNSHO. (Other two would be "Live and Let Die" and "View to a Kill.")
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Madonna's Die Another Day is fantastic. Doesn't deserve the hate.

My take on the songs is that virtually all of them are good, and many are classics. It's one of the most lampooned elements of the franchise, but they are very consistent (at least until the Brosnan-Craig era).
I maintain the basic song of Another Way To Die is half decent, it's just almost every production decision they made along the way was terrible. Here's how I'd try to fix it:

Have either White or Keys sing the whole thing alone, and take that ugly reverb effect off their voice. The parts where they both sing together are like knitting needles to the ears.

Settle on a production style. Either have it raw and unpolished like the White Stripes, or make it all orchestrated and polished. Don't cram together smooth orchestral embellishments with rough edged fuzzed out guitar solos as if those things make sense together at all.

Throw the middle 8 breakdown section in a bin and light it on fire.
Call it association with a putrid film or call it whatever you want but I can't help but find everything about Die Another Day (aside from Pierce) to be the series' nadir. Even its first hour pisses me off precisely for NOT being terrible. Way to bring attention to the contrast between the two halves. They even fuck up the gun barrel sequence with something needless and silly..
(26 minutes ago)Giorgio Wrote: My take on the songs is that virtually all of them are good, and many are classics. It's one of the most lampooned elements of the franchise, but they are very consistent (at least until the Brosnan-Craig era).

Is it OK that I've never cared for "Thunderball"?
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen