Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin, Texas.
Right, so I'm going to be in Austin all of next week, doing some work for my brother, and this seemed like the right place to put this.

If any Chewers in Austin would like to have a little get-together, I'd be thrilled. I've only been once, and it'd be nice to get to know a few more people in the area. I know...four. Maybe five.

If gatherings aren't an option, then by all means, any suggestions of where to go? I was in town last year for the City Limits Festival, but that consumed my entire weekend. I didn't have time to go bike and explore very much.
I'm not sure how much help I can be since I've only been there once myself for a couple days a month ago. Seeing the bats (about 750,000 of them) pour out from under Congress Bridge was amazing. Good place to picnic for a bit. Zilker Park was also nice, especially the natural spring/pool area. Lots of opportunity to walk around and rent a kayak.

The Ginger Man on 5th Street is great for a beer. The Alamo Drafthouse for a random-ass show... sorry, this could all be stuff you know about having friends there...
I don't live in Austin (yet), but I love visiting it. If you get a chance, try to catch a showing of something at the Drafthouse. There's a few around the city, but my favorite is still the Downtown one on Colorado.
I didn't know any of that stuff. I'm actually staying in a house just off Congress, so a lot of shops and restaurants are right nearby. I'm about half a mile from downtown. My only real exploration last time was the Hike & Bike trail, and that was loads of fun.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmightyShmun

I didn't know any of that stuff. I'm actually staying in a house just off Congress, so a lot of shops and restaurants are right nearby. I'm about half a mile from downtown. My only real exploration last time was the Hike & Bike trail, and that was loads of fun.

If you give me some idea as to what sort of things you would like to see or do I should be able to give you plenty of ideas, especially as close to downtown as you're staying.

I do have to agree with everyone else that mentioned the drafthouse. The schedule for the downtown location is here. My suggestion would be to catch the Sinus show on Friday night. It's a local trio that basically does an MST3K thing in the theater.
That Sinus show sounds wonderful. I'll be in for the Footloose one.

I'm primarily a big music fan, so nice little concert venues would be nice. Last time I was in, the Flaming Lips were performing at a bar at the end of the road. I missed them by a day.
I'll second everyone's suggestions so far and add:

Get a Double Texpresso on ice at Texpresso

Eat at Threadgill's, Chuy's, Trudy's, Maria's Taco Express, Kerbey Lane, Magnolia Cafe, Fonda San Miguel.

Hit up Austin Books and/or Dragon's Lair for comics/Sci Fi

The new Whole Foods Market downtown is really an amazing grocery store. It's fun just to browse around.

Book People, just across the street, is one of the best book stores in the country.

And across the street from both is Waterloo Records, one of the best independent music stores in the country.

Try to catch a sunset on Mount Bonnell.

More later if I get a chance, my kiddo is waking up from his nap...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Calkins

Eat at Threadgill's, Chuy's, Trudy's, Maria's Taco Express, Kerbey Lane, Magnolia Cafe, Fonda San Miguel.

Ditto that. Magnolia is open 24/7. Also there's Texadelphia, which makes a mean cheesesteak, I think they're on Sixth street. If you're not in Texas much, and haven't been to the one in Atlanta (marietta), you should check out the world's best Tex-Mex at Pappasito's (6513 I-35 N., Austin, 78752 (512) 459-9214).
Quote:

Right, so I'm going to be in Austin all of next week, doing some work for my brother, and this seemed like the right place to put this.

FYI, Texas isn't really the midwest. Of course, that's CHUD's fault for not having a "South" or "Texas" category.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belethedheliel

FYI, Texas isn't really the midwest. Of course, that's CHUD's fault for not having a "South" or "Texas" category.

Indeed. Though I'd be quicker to call Texas part of the Midwest than the South. Too much sociopolitical baggage with Southern association, plus we're pretty much in the middle of the country. But, then again, I've got weird geographical classifications. I still call the Middle East Outremer.
Quote:

Indeed. Though I'd be quicker to call Texas part of the Midwest than the South. Too much sociopolitical baggage with Southern association, plus we're pretty much in the middle of the country.

Please tell me you're not a native. (If you are, you sure sound like one from Austin)

Although most if not all Texans I know consider Texas an entity unto itself, they'd rather classify themselves as south than lump themselves with Wisconsin, myself included. Of course the "sociopolitical baggage" that goes with the South applies pretty well to places like Cut-N-Shoot.
Born in Dallas, raised in Houston. I don't have much difficulty classifying Texas as an entity unto itself, but I'm not happy about it being classified as part of the South. Of course, I have little more than contempt for the South, for a number of reasons.
Quote:

That Sinus show sounds wonderful. I'll be in for the Footloose one.

I'm primarily a big music fan, so nice little concert venues would be nice. Last time I was in, the Flaming Lips were performing at a bar at the end of the road. I missed them by a day.

Austin Showlist tends to have a decent listing of local venues and upcoming shows. You can also check out the Austin Chronicle for event listings and the like.
...by the by Shmun, how WAS your time in Austin?
It was good! Wound up being cut a little short(the job was slightly botched), but it was fairly fun. Spent some time with my brother's boyfriend, briefly discussed psychology with their roomate(she's working on her doctorate), did some biking, and watched a few films. It was warm. Not necessarily warmer than Houston, just a different kind of warm. Not so much accursed humidity.
Austin's just amazing like that.

UPDATE: my sister is moving to Austin, apparently. I know Austin is supposed to be a good place as far as Texas goes, but it sounds just dreadful to me. Good riddance, I say. She'd been living within driving distance but hopefully being on the other side of the continent will mean that I'll see her less frequently

Never been to Austin before, but strongly considering making the trip out in early February for Laurent Durieux's Mondo show.  I'm only considering it because I have a plane ticket from last year that I can rebook for $75 or lose $380 come July.  Always wanted to go to Austin and see a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse.  I'm trying to figure out how to make the best out of a few days, come in on a Thursday, leave on a Sunday.  Thinking about finding something on airbnb, unless anyone knows a inexpensive enough hotel I'm not going to get bed bugs at.  Also, is the Ritz the closest Alamo to the Mondo gallery?  Any other cool geek related shit I could squeeze into two days?

Yeah, I guess the Ritz is the closest.  I wouldn't say it's close.  But it's the closest.

I don't know if it's close to the Alamo Drafthouse or not, but the Driskill Hotel is haunted and an amazing place.  I stayed there once and while I didn't really have any experiences (well, except a really cold patch in a ballroom late at night), a colleague of mine did.

For deals, I sometimes use Hotwire.com, which hasn't let me down.  It doesn't tell you which hotel you're going to be booked into, but I both times I've used it the hotels were great for the money.

The Driskill is walking distance to the Ritz.

That place seems pretty pricey.

So the Ritz is showing the Notebook the night I'll be there.... so I guess I'll be going elsewhere.

It's happening.  I depart tomorrow afternoon.

AI'm on my way to the Alamo on Slaughterlane since the Ritz only had fucking Monuments Men. Seeing Lego Movie in 2D. Hope the place is better than the reviews on yelp. Seems especially recently that the place has gone down hill with food quality and service. Anyone else have a bad time there?