Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Names Vs. Screen Names
Are you Matthew Broderick?
If I was, I wouldn't admit it after making "The Stepford Wives".

And "Wargames" was so far fetched it's one of the oldest jokes in the Black/White Hat communities. It ranks just behind "Hackers" in the hollywood computer fantasy world.

"Tron", though, is actually true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark

Are you Matthew Broderick?

I was thinking maybe that girl from "Jurassic Park."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Surge

And "Wargames" was so far fetched it's one of the oldest jokes in the Black/White Hat communities. It ranks just behind "Hackers" in the hollywood computer fantasy world.

"Tron", though, is actually true.

I read that Trinity uses an actual hacking method/tool in Reloaded. Geeks on the Net applauded it apparently.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe LeFors

I was thinking maybe that girl from "Jurassic Park."

One of the noted "You know you are computer geek when" indicators is:

You laughed hysterically in Jurassic Park when the girl said "Hey! This is Unix! I know Unix!"

Cracks me up every time.
If you were around me in person, everyone calls me "Stew". It is a nickname that just always sticks no matter what new environment I'm in, and it's been that way since 6th grade. My name is Brian Stewart. I too think it's a little strange when people have these ridiculous screen names, but mine's not a huge leap. At this point I've had it on these boards for 5 years, so for simplicity sake, I keep it. If you've got a real name and picture at Sewer Chewer, you're not exactly hiding. That's my two cents.
I can only imagine Swordfish is the most accurate depiction of hacking ever. Even more than real life hacking.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cognizant

I read that Trinity uses an actual hacking method/tool in Reloaded. Geeks on the Net applauded it apparently.

The scorpion kick?
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRobotSex

I can only imagine Swordfish is the most accurate depiction of hacking ever. Even more than real life hacking.

I imagine all hackers wish for a blowjob/gun to the head initiation ceremony.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cognizant

She uses Nmap - a wide spread port scanning Exploit tool.

And yes, computer geeks rank below film geeks on the "nerd" scale. We just don't realize it.
The fake name thing is a convenience, so that I can say whatever I want on CHUD, and in the future, when some coworker, casual friend, or potential employer googles me, the first thing that comes up won't be some stupid CHUD thread with, I dunno, naked pics of Dolph Lundgren or something.
I like screen names because my life’s ambition was to be a trucker. But that just didn’t work out for me so this is as close as I can get to having a CB handle. Convoy!
I wish I wouldn't have used my real name when I joined, because I *have* had IRL people look me up and find some of the stuff I've said here. It's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over, but yeah, I don't think the desire to remain anonymous is exactly a weird thing. Some people like to keep real life separate, that's all.

Besides, Devin wasn't even asking for Molti's real name, he wanted to know what he did for a living. (Clearly hoping for another Richard Dickson "you're a carnie and I'm not" fight.) And I'm no Moltisanti fan by a long shot, but why the fuck should he feel obligated to share that information if he doesn't want to? Making fun of Devin's hipster shirts--a detail he's only too happy to disclose to anyone who will listen--is cowardly if you're Darth Silent Bob but somehow acceptable if you're posting as Bob Smith? What kind of dumbassed logic is that?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slater

Making fun of Devin's hipster shirts--a detail he's only too happy to disclose to anyone who will listen--is cowardly if you're Darth Silent Bob but somehow acceptable if you're posting as Bob Smith? What kind of dumbassed logic is that?

I just think it's weird that he took it so personally.
I didn't get a job one time because the HR department did a search and found out I liked Attack of The Clones.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRobotSex

Everyone knows that hacking just requires that you type real fast while saying "come on... come on... I'm in!"

As for real names, I'm kind of in the same boat as Death Surge. I'm in a profession where I don't want clients who google my name being directed to my Giant Baba-like posts in the MMA thread or my political rants in the Israel v. Lebanon thread. In fact, even using a handle, one of the threads I started came back to bite me this past week when a family member googled the name of the life coaching group she belongs to. One of the first hits was the thread I started in the Midwest forum. From the personal details I included she immediately knew it was me. I typed some things there that were a little critical of some of my family members and the group a few of them associate with. Not a huge deal, but it was a little awkward. I don't care too much about my family knowing about what I write here, but I don't want clients or my employer having that kind of insight into my personal life.
I've always assumed the use of screen names was simply a privacy issue. At any rate, I've been Jacob Singer too long to change it to my real name.
Who cares — yeah, it will take a few more posts for you to be taken seriously if your alias is Darthsomethingorother. A name isn't going to make anyone a less boring/redundant poster.
I was afraid of being categorized as a huge Star Wars nerd.
...and how do we KNOW the Devin posting on the Main-Page, is the Devin posting on the messageboards?

Their styles of communicating are TOTALLY different.
What cruel fact could inspire such nasty lies?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham

...and how do we KNOW the Devin posting on the Main-Page, is the Devin posting on the messageboards?

Their styles of communicating are TOTALLY different.

I agree. It seems like two completely different people.
There used to be a time when Devin called people out by their real names when he was insulting them to make it a more personal insult. Now that most longtime Chewers changed their handle to their real names, it doesn't have quite the same effect.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Brigden

I was afraid of being categorized as a huge Star Wars nerd.

(I kid)

I guess I've kept it because:

a) I want to keep some semblence of private posting away from actual film industry job, like a few people here, as vague/pointless an excuse as that may be. People who want to know, know, and Gussetboy says. I mean, I don't trend to drop clanging great state secrets - unlike say, psychowhatshisface - and I've got a shitty little column going elsewhere on the web under my actual nom de non-plume, but...there you go. Probably a psychological crutch more than anything.

and b) I dont want to change my name to the one my mother bestowed upon me and have to spend ages racking up the creamingly awesome instant-recognition reputation those 5 stupid words have gained me over 5 years here.

But perhaps I'll change it, just for kicks.
I switched to my real name because A) Agent Helix was boring, and B) I already had my blog linked, which uses my real name. I don't think anyone should HAVE to use their real name. As you can plainly see, I'm still quite the jerk, even without the anonymity of a screen name.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Cunningham

I didn't get a job one time because the HR department did a search and found out I liked Attack of The Clones.

Quite hilarious, Carl. Not being sarcastic.
I'm hesitant to use my real name because the first thing that comes up on it in Google is a shitty essay I wrote in grade 10. Noone should have to read that pile. Plus I like the privacy thing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-Man

The fake name thing is a convenience, so that I can say whatever I want on CHUD, and in the future, when some coworker, casual friend, or potential employer googles me, the first thing that comes up won't be some stupid CHUD thread with, I dunno, naked pics of Dolph Lundgren or something.

Agreed completely. With more and more employers now doing internet searches, it is rather easy to exclude potential employees based on what is now public knowledge.

Case in point. While yes this is the year 2006 I know plenty of people who have lost their jobs, been unable to move up in a company, or unable to get a job solely based on their health status. Not many people want to hire someone that is HIV positive. Progressive, huh?

Not to mention sexuality. I work in an extremely homophobic office. Honestly I think I would be passed over for promotion if my sexuality was common knowledge in the office.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClark

But the whole t-shirt thing isn't personal. It's part of his public persona he deliberately puts out there.

I don't understand the point of this. The concept is about being open vs being anonymous. It's cowardly to take personal potshots at someone while hiding behind an anonymous identity. People who do that are pussies.

And for the record, I'm not about the shirt thing. OMG MOLTISANTI MADE FUN OF MY SHIRTS. I'm just sick of this guy in general being a terrible, boring, unfunny poster AND being an anonymous twerp at the same time.
What's with the shirts thing? That keeps getting brought up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Millette

What's with the shirts thing? That keeps getting brought up.

Moltisanti took a potshot at me in some thread I wasn't even posting in, because he's a pussy, and I took that as an opportunity to find out something about his tragic existence.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slater

And I'm no Moltisanti fan by a long shot, but why the fuck should he feel obligated to share that information if he doesn't want to?

Molti has mocked Devin for not having a driver's licence while living in New York and his hipster T-shirts. I don't remember if he made fun of Dev for getting a BJ in a bar bathroom from a girl he met on Myspace, but he might have. When people make fun of these things, it's like they think they have a clue. There are such things as cool hipster T-shirts, and when people make fun of stuff like that it strikes as mom's basement teritory. The fact that Molt can't prove how cool he is bespeaks the fact that Devin's probably right.

I agree with everything Strax said, but also Whitehead was coolbeansworld, so I totally get the name change. But for me, Andre Dellamorte has become a part of me, and I like that.
Everyone is anonymous to an extent. Knowing someone's name does not make things open, it just makes your insults sting a bit more. This isnt a dating site, we dont need to know anything about each other except what people think about movies and shit. Anything else divulged is up to the poster/writer of Chud.

Insulting each other and giving neg rep is the Way of the Pussy.

Personally I have no problem with moltisanti, so what if he's into DTV, what the fuck, people have worse quirks than that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by devincf

Moltisanti took a potshot at me in some thread I wasn't even posting in, because he's a pussy, and I took that as an opportunity to find out something about his tragic existence.

I think you're obsessing a little.
I used to think Devin wanted to fuck Diva. Looks like he's got a new crush.