Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Wrestling Discussion Thread (WWE, TNA, ECW, WCW, etc.)
#71
Quote:

Originally Posted by B_MetalSucks

I see what you're saying but the WWECW thing is all over not just here so I'm sure it wasn't anything like Baba. Also I say anyone that adds Mc to the front of ANY word where it doesn't belong, or says wwe-tards instead of retard should get banned as well. :-)

And Martian I bet you're spot on even if you were joking. But if "crow" sting doesn't draw I doubt "old man Stevie B" will either. That's what peeves me about TNA, they have people who could draw but would rather let oldtimers have topspots. I do however enjoy pretty much 90% of what TNA does so I can't complain to much.

I don't see where calling it WWECW is anywhere near the "Mc" everything that baba added.....and Baba didn't invent the term.....Most every wrestling website and message board refers to this company as WWECW.....it's not a insult.....it's not a babaism.....it is what it is.....The wwe version of extreme championship wrestling

As for sting.....it's over....he needs to let it go.....I was a huge fan of the crow wrestler sting but part of what made that gimmick work was the fact that he hardly spoke for a year......he hung out in the rafters, dropped down into the ring and cleaned house....But as soon as he started talking again he was doing the old "surfer" sting stuff and those two gimmicks just don't mesh well.....for me that gimmick was dead the moment he joined the wolfpac.
Reply
#72
Kurt Angle granted an early release due to personal issues.
Reply
#73
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyMac


Fuck.

I really hope the Kurt can get whatever problems he has worked out.
Reply
#74
Kurt Angle is gone? Sounds like great news for TNA, if this is real.
Reply
#75
Man Kurt must have some fucked up stuff going on. Either that or he quit and they don't wan't the world thinking they lost the best wrestler they have(imho) due to their own incompetence Of course I've been reading a lot of conspiracy threads today so take that last part with a grain of salt. :-)
Reply
#76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Kurt Angle is gone? Sounds like great news for TNA, if this is real.

How is this great news for TNA.....Kurt is in really bad shape.....his neck is a mess.....his marrage is a mess....the guy needs to take some serious time off......and i'm sure there was a serious no compete clause added.

Plus there is this sentence.

"WWE looks forward to establishing a new relationship with Kurt in the near future."

There is no question that TNA would probably be better for Kurt personally.....Less travel means less of a workload......but don't count on seeing him in TNA any time soon.
Reply
#77
There is NO WAY that Kurt will land in TNA. As said above, his has a bunch of injuries, there are way too many rumors of drug problems and his family is a mess. He needs the time off. Just like Stone Cold leaving for awhile, hoepfully Kurt sorts things out.

As for SD! I feel bad for Vicki Guerrero, horrible. And I guess Kid Kash is back.

As for Sting, his matches haven't been great since his return. I don't care if he and Jarrett feud, but it shouldn't be for a title. Leave that for the future talent, not the past.

EDIT: Jimmy "Wang" Yang just cut a promo saying "There's nothing yellow about me. I'm just a little red, a redneck." A guess Vince couldn't stay away from race for too long.
Reply
#78
I know he's banged up and this was probably the WWE's decision to release him more than it was Kurt Angle's decision just to walk away. I think Angle still wants to "go" in the ring but the WWE won't let him. TNA won't work him nearly as much as the WWE and they'd probably offer him a pretty good deal. Again, this is only if Angle still insists on wrestling. He's too banged up to even try the UFC but going to TNA or Japan seems realistic.

According to Dave Meltzer, Kurt Angle was fired. So it wasn't like both Angle and the WWE agreed to part ways.

Quote:

WWE fired Kurt Angle today. It is known Angle and his agent met with WWE officials this afternoon. More details should be forthcoming soon.

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/....asp?aID=17197

As for Sting... I'd like to see him go to the WWE even if it's just like Bret Hart did only to get a DVD made for him.

When I was looking through some old tapes of Nitro yesterday I found one where Sting had just started changing into "The Crow" gimmick. He was sitting in the rafters and Jeff Jarrett (who was part of the 4 Horsemen) said something about Sting. So Jarrett's in the ring and Sting comes out through the crowd and takes Jarrett out in like 2 seconds. It was funny because nowadays Jarrett's the world champ and Sting's jobbing to him. But 10 years ago a match between them wouldn't have gone more than a minute with Jarrett jobbing.
Reply
#79
I found a whole series of WCW Sting matches on YouTube. I forgot he had feuded with Vampiro, and forgot even further about that stupid "Light the other guy on fire" match. And after watching just the angles he was involved in, I recalled just how screwed up the whole nWo thing became, especially when Nash, Hall, and Waltman (and eventually Sting) split off into the "Wolfpac". Then there was the "Japanese nWo", and the "LWO" with Eddie Guerrero. So you had like 4 factions of the same group running around. Ugh.

And for Angle, I'm disappointed to see him end (for now) like this. I remember when he first started out, and he was playing the clean-cut guy that you weren't sure whether or not he was really that full of himself, or if it was a heel act. He had some great matches in his career--if it's over.
Reply
#80
I don't think Angle's career is over......But I think it will be at least a year before we see him again.

But He really doesn't have anything else to prove....The way TNA is being booked right now he'll just end up being to them what Bret was to wcw....If he was smart with him money I can see him just walking away for a while.
Reply
#81
I don't think it was that messed up with the nWo and nWo Wolfpac. But yeah the LWO and OWN (One Warrior Nation) ruined it. The Wolfpac was very over with the crowd and probably as popular as DX.
Reply
#82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

I don't think it was that messed up with the nWo and nWo Wolfpac. But yeah the LWO and OWN (One Warrior Nation) ruined it. The Wolfpac was very over with the crowd and probably as popular as DX.

DX was way more popular than the wolfpac.......It was ok when the nWo split into two groups......but by the time the sliver and black nWo appeared it was pretty much over.
Reply
#83
In 1998, WCW was still just as popular as the WWF. Just watch some of the old Nitros from back then The Wolfpac got huge pops from the crowd. I'm not saying they were more popular than DX but for a while The Wolfpac was right up there.
Reply
#84
WCW crowds in '98 were heavily papered, and the pops heavily sweetened. WCW was starting to fall apart by mid-late '98, with Jericho relegated to jobbing to Bobby Duncum Jr. while Nash booked himself to end Goldberg's streak. It was fast becoming a disaster zone, and getting its ass handed to itself in the ratings.

And if TNA swoop in and snap up Angle, they're just as crass and callous as Vince could ever be. His body is falling apart, his personal life is a mess and he's got a serious painkiller addiction. Booking him as a wrestler would be horribly irresponsible.
Reply
#85
Quote:

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE has made a list of words that announcers are not allowed to say on the air. The terms "belt" and strap" have been banned on WWE television, not to mention OVW and DSW television. Vince McMahon thinks those words are linked to old-time wrestling and he wants to get away from that.

OK, so... the "belts" that all the wrestlers carry cannot be referred to as the objects they actually are, because it'd remind people of when wrestling was more than sports-entertainment? Or because it'd remind them of a time when Vince and his cadre of familial relations weren't on TV all the time?
Reply
#86
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbelithbomb

OK, so... the "belts" that all the wrestlers carry cannot be referred to as the objects they actually are, because it'd remind people of when wrestling was more than sports-entertainment? Or because it'd remind them of a time when Vince and his cadre of familial relations weren't on TV all the time?

fucking hell......I think that is without question the dumbest thing that Vince has ever done......even surpassing WBF and XFL.
Reply
#87
Do any of you think it would be a good idea to bring back WCW? Since they've brought back ECW why not turn SmackDown into a WCW show? They wouldn't have to change the rosters that much because guys like Booker T, Regal, Finlay, Mysterio, Benoit are already there. They can keep guys like Lashley, Kennedy, Sylvestor Turkay, Elijah Burke, Paul London and Brian Kendrick. Just send Batista, Undertaker and Matt Hardy to RAW. Bring back Eric Bischoff and put him in charge of WCW and you've got WWE, ECW and WCW. I'm sure they can sign guys like DDP, Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire, Mark Jindrak, Norman Smiley, Kidman, etc. If booked right, do you think it would work out?
Reply
#88
I'll keep this real short.

I can't fucking believe Kurt Angle has been released by WWE.
Reply
#89
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbelithbomb

OK, so... the "belts" that all the wrestlers carry cannot be referred to as the objects they actually are, because it'd remind people of when wrestling was more than sports-entertainment? Or because it'd remind them of a time when Vince and his cadre of familial relations weren't on TV all the time?

What are they supposed to call it? The championship bling?
Reply
#90
He wants them called Titles or the world title or wwe title. I do think he's losing his mind though. Also about WCW coming back in short, NO. To many fans today are hip to wwe being the only company and when Vince is the only boss then all shows will reflect his wants and changing the name of any of the shows isn't going to change that. Not in my opinion anyway. I'd like for TNA to get its shit together and become a wrestling power on par with WWE(exposure and promotion wise that is) and force McMahon to change some of his ways. That'd be my hope anyway.
Reply
#91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Do any of you think it would be a good idea to bring back WCW? Since they've brought back ECW why not turn SmackDown into a WCW show? They wouldn't have to change the rosters that much because guys like Booker T, Regal, Finlay, Mysterio, Benoit are already there. They can keep guys like Lashley, Kennedy, Sylvestor Turkay, Elijah Burke, Paul London and Brian Kendrick. Just send Batista, Undertaker and Matt Hardy to RAW. Bring back Eric Bischoff and put him in charge of WCW and you've got WWE, ECW and WCW. I'm sure they can sign guys like DDP, Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire, Mark Jindrak, Norman Smiley, Kidman, etc. If booked right, do you think it would work out?

They brought back WcW.......it's called TNA.



But seriously........No......because most of the names your mentioning have zero connection to wcw.

the name WcW doesn't hold the same kind of relevance as the ECW does.....ECW embodies everything that people loved about wrestling in the 90's......WcW embodies everything that was wrong about wrestling in the 90's....Yes the beginning of the nWo angle was great......the Hogan/Sting feud was classic(although it featured little to no wrestling in it for a year) but soon we got the out of control contracts......the creative control.....the old guys keeping the young and upcoming stars down....the mismanagement of the company.

Plus Vince tried to make wcw a seperate brand and it failed before they could even get a house show schedule going.....wwf fans hated wcw.....I still think whoever the idiot was that thought it was a good idea to give wcw the final 15 minutes of raw and have Booker T and Buff Bagwell as a main event needs to be shot.....that trainwreck of a match killed any chance of WcW working.....It also didn't help that the main stars of wcw at that time sat at home being paid......and then by the time alot of those guys(Hall and Nash, Steiner, Goldberg) showed up in wwe no one gave a shit about wcw anymore.

It's been 6 years.......few care about WcW anymore......you didn't see WWE fans chanting "WCW" at raw......it's dead.......and like Fred Gwynne once said....."Dead is better"
Reply
#92
Quote:

the name WcW doesn't hold the same kind of relevance as the ECW does.....ECW embodies everything that people loved about wrestling in the 90's......WcW embodies everything that was wrong about wrestling in the 90's....

Seriously, ECW was good but it's overrated. They had their cult following of hardcore fans but it wasn't like it was the biggest thing in wrestling in the 90's. The nWo, Goldberg, Austin, DX, The Rock and the WWF during the Attitude Era were the "big" things in wrestling in the 90's. Did ECW put on great matches? Sure. I'm not going to deny that. ECW was awesome. But to say it was the best thing about wrestling in the 90's... that's too much.
Reply
#93
Not really, not to some people it isn't. A whole lot of people thought Goldberg was shit from day one, and honestly some people thought WCW was shit as well. So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to say that some thought ECW was the best thing in the 90's. You can disagree but that's because it's all up to ones personal taste.
Reply
#94
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Seriously, ECW was good but it's overrated. They had their cult following of hardcore fans but it wasn't like it was the biggest thing in wrestling in the 90's. The nWo, Goldberg, Austin, DX, The Rock and the WWF during the Attitude Era were the "big" things in wrestling in the 90's. Did ECW put on great matches? Sure. I'm not going to deny that. ECW was awesome. But to say it was the best thing about wrestling in the 90's... that's too much.

Where exactly in that post did I say that ECW was "THE BEST"

Oh and your quote of "ECW was good but it's overrated" ranks right up there with your comments about how funny it was for David Arquette to win the WcW title.
Reply
#95
No matter how we spin it, Kurt Angle leaving is a bad thing. If I can, I had no beef with Baba either and he does have a welath of knowledge. There are good reason to have differences, but if they are done right, they can lead to grat things.
Reply
#96
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1tony

No matter how we spin it, Kurt Angle leaving is a bad thing.

Oh it true.....It's damn true.

But it's for the best.......I would rather Kurt be gone from the wwe for a year than have to sit through Kurt Angle Tribute episodes of raw/Smackdown/ECW
Reply
#97
If TNA could redeem themselves, hell, Christian and Rhino are not so bad. At least this was entertaining.
Reply
#98
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1tony

If TNA could redeem themselves, hell, Christian and Rhino are not so bad. At least this was entertaining.

I haven't watched TNA in weeks.....I wish they could get it together but it just seems like everytime they are about to do that they pull a total wcw move and go right back to step one.
Reply
#99
Quote:

Not really, not to some people it isn't.

I said ECW had a cult following of hardcore fans who thought it was great. I didn't deny that.

Quote:

A whole lot of people thought Goldberg was shit from day one, and honestly some people thought WCW was shit as well.

Even though some people thought it was shit doesn't take away from the fact that they were very popular in the 90's. It doesn't take away that Goldberg/Hogan drew 36,000 people at the Georgia Dome and beat RAW in the ratings. Or what about the replay of the match between Goldberg/DDP from Halloween Havoc '98 getting a 7.2 in the ratings? Yeah that Goldberg was "shit". Sure, not everyone liked him but you can't say he wasn't popular. But my point was that Goldberg was more popular in the 90's than ECW was.

Quote:

So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to say that some thought ECW was the best thing in the 90's. You can disagree but that's because it's all up to ones personal taste.

Again, I never said that no one thought it was the greatest thing about wrestling in the 90's. I just said, in my opinion that it's overrated by their hardcore fans. It was good but not great and again that's my opinion. Some people thought it was the best wrestling promotion in the 90's. But it wasn't the most popular and it wasn't as big as the WWF or WCW and there's no denying that.


Quote:

Where exactly in that post did I say that ECW was "THE BEST"

I didn't say that you said ECW was "the best". But I was talking about your quote here...

Quote:

ECW embodies everything that people loved about wrestling in the 90's

Quote:

Oh and your quote of "ECW was good but it's overrated" ranks right up there with your comments about how funny it was for David Arquette to win the WcW title.

David Arquette winning the title was funny, imo. He pinned Eric Bischoff for the belt not a real wrestler. It was treated as a complete joke. He even got Kurt Russell and Courtney Cox to film a segment for Nitro on the set of 3,000 Miles to Graceland. It was done to get people talking about WCW.
Reply
But it didn't. It was a stupid idea that devalued what was once considered the ultimate accolade a wrestler can receive for his work.

The reason bringing back WCW is just a dumb idea is that, in terms of mission statements, it was exactly the same as WWE: Sports entertainment crossed with wrestling. It was the same ethos. ECW is a completely different approach topro wrestling. Bringing back WCW would only amount to a needless name-change for one of the two-hour shows, as almost all of WCW's old stars are either with the company or have been in the past few years. Who do you bring back? How do you differentiate it from Raw? Moreover, after five years off TV and even longer since the WCW product was worth a damn, who would come rushing back to watch a reheated version? It's a pointless exercise, and it wouldn't get any old fans watching.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Read

I'll keep this real short.

I can't fucking believe Kurt Angle has been released by WWE.

From what point of view? Sure, it sucks, but I think the 'E made the right call on this one. Early release is the ultimate punishment for those that can't get their personal problems in check, and Angle's been given multiple chances to do just that. I'd rather see him released now than dead after another six months of matches.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Seriously, ECW was good but it's overrated.

In YOUR opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

They had their cult following of hardcore fans but it wasn't like it was the biggest thing in wrestling in the 90's.

So how exactly are you measuring what was the "biggest thing?" Is it only the stuff you liked or what?
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

The nWo, Goldberg, Austin, DX, The Rock and the WWF during the Attitude Era were the "big" things in wrestling in the 90's.

According to whom? Just you? Or did someone tell you that it was a FACT that those were the biggest things?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Did ECW put on great matches? Sure. I'm not going to deny that.

Because you can't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

ECW was awesome. But to say it was the best thing about wrestling in the 90's... that's too much.

No not really it isn't. Like I said it's about how you are quantifying. If you are only using t.v. ratings then your method is flawed because only certain families are Neilsen families. Is it only the number of people drawn? Because if that's so then all WCW had to do was give tickets away and say that the building was "sold out." I'm not trying to say that ECW was the best thing of the 90's but I'm trying to show you that you can't rule out the chance that ECW may have been ONE of the biggest things in wrestling in the 90's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Or what about the replay of the match between Goldberg/DDP from Halloween Havoc '98 getting a 7.2 in the ratings? Yeah that Goldberg was "shit". Sure, not everyone liked him but you can't say he wasn't popular. But my point was that Goldberg was more popular in the 90's than ECW was.

What does popularity have to do with the argument anyway? Hulk Hogan is an immensly popular wrestler but compared to say Chris Benoit, Hogan just does not measure up. Hogan may have "drawn" more in the business but more people have more respect for Benoit's skill than they do Hogan. And trust me that's not an attack on Hogan or you for liking him, I'm just pointing out that your argument is severly biased because you obviously cared a lot for WCW and the "Attitude Era," and that's fine but let's not belittle ECW and say it didn't matter in the 90's.

The fact that ECW exists today and WCW does not says a lot. You will NEVER hear a WCW chant at a show today and there is a reason why you DO hear ECW chants at shows. It's because ECW simply may possibly be one of the most exciting promotions in the history of wrestling. Did it make anyone a millionaire? Maybe not, but it did captivate the hearts and minds of a lot more people than just a "cult following." Check out the ECW DVD sales for proof on that.

I'm not trying to argue or be rude but I don't understand how you can say that ECW was just "good but it's overrated." ECW was one of the biggest things in wrestling during the 90's you can't deny it. Was it moreso than WCW or the attitude era, or even Jesus help me Goldberg? Maybe, mabye not, it's all up to ones own tastes.
Reply
Actually, you're right. It is just my opinion. I don't feel like arguing about it.
Reply
Good attempt at covering your tracks......but it's too late.......let's see what Conan really said in the above post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

Are you serious? Just looking back at WCW and the WWF's ratings tell me it's a fact that they were both bigger than ECW.

WOW......you know normally I wouldn't get nasty......But you really are fucking clueless.



Yeah ratings mean everything......Hogan and Goldberg were the biggest things in the 90's because they drew a 7.2......well "This is your life" featuring The Rock and Foley drew over a 8.0.....So by your logic that was the biggest thing in wrestling.

ECW didn't draw the same numbers as WcW or the WWF because until they got on TNN they were basically a syndicated program.....They didn't have the backing of Ted Turner.....they didn't have a top level cable channel to showcase their program

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

I don't know how you can even say that WCW and the WWF weren't more popular than ECW. That right there is what I mean by ECW was overrated. They were a small little decent indy promotion that got kind of big. They barely got a 2 in the ratings. They were not big like the WWF or WCW. TNA right now is almost just as big as ECW was.

"TNA right now is almost just as big as ECW was."

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS.......Oh god I wish Baba was here.....His response to that quote would be EPIC.

Your obsession with ratings is hysterical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

I'm not saying it didn't matter in the 90's. It did... but not as much as the nWo, DX or Steve Austin. They were what brought wrestling into the mainstream. They were more important to wrestling in the 90's than ECW was.

In a earlier post you claimed that the attitude era was the biggest thing in the 90's......and you know what......your right......now answer me this.

WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK VINCE GOT THE ATTITUDE IDEA FROM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC

David Arquette winning the title was funny, imo. He pinned Eric Bischoff for the belt not a real wrestler. It was treated as a complete joke. He even got Kurt Russell and Courtney Cox to film a segment for Nitro on the set of 3,000 Miles to Graceland. It was done to get people talking about WCW.

Oh yeah.......It got people talking about wcw......I remember my Friends who didn't watch pro wrestling asking me just how bad the wrestlers were in WcW when DAVID FUCKING ARQUETTE was the world champion......they didn't know that he pin a "NON WRESTLER" to win the title......all they knew was the fucking twit from Scream movies was the heavyweight champion of the world.

So let's review the brillance of Conan.

David Arquette winning the world title was funny.
Wolfpac was as popular as DX.
Goldberg was more popular than ECW.
ECW was Overrated.
TNA is as big now as ECW was in it's prime.

People complain about Baba......but at least he had a fucking clue.
Reply
ECW would never have made it as big as WWF or WCW, regardless of TV deals. That's a fact.

And structurally and in terms of exposure, TNA is as big as ECW was.

But yeah, most of what he says is drivel. I wouldn't agree that ECW was the best thing about the '90s-they put out just as much crap as they did gold, and for me WWF circa 1998 took the extreme ethos and turne dit into something far more gripping and all-encompassing-but it was most certainly the most influential.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)