Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrestling Discussion Thread (WWE, TNA, ECW, WCW, etc.)
How about someone different? Oh sorry, it's the WWE. I forgot for a second.

Going to see ROH in a couple of weeks. W00t.
I'll put a lazy $5 on that dog.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
I don't watch wrestling anymore and haven't for years. 

But 20 years ago today, one of the watershed moments of wrestling happened that I actually saw and blew my fucking mind. 

How the fuck did Mick Foley not die during this match?
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Yeah, I remember watching that with my buddy live as well. We kept going, "What is in his nose? Is that snot? What is tha--OH MY GOD ITS A TOOTH!"
Is there any particular reason why Finn Baylor hasn't been given another chance at the Universal title? Dude deserves more that a single day reign cut short by injury.
I don't know that Vince was ever serious about Balor. His initial push when he got to the main roster was probably just hot-shotting for some artificial ratings boost while waiting to (once again) position Roman back into the spot. His immediate injury probably didn't help matters. Balor is way too small for Vince's fetish to begin with, so add to that that he's not fucking invulnerable and the end result is midcard limbo. Poor fucker can't even bring out The Demon anymore, apparently.

So anyway, there's a ROH PPV tonight, no? Dalton vs Cody vs Scurll for the ROH World Championship.

It might be part of a work, but Cody seemed to throw some legit shade at Dalton Castle on Twitter recently, insinuating that he's only the champion now because it was his turn for the "participation trophy". Ouch.

I respect Cody for putting his money where his mouth was and going into business for himself while flipping Vince the finger .... but Dalton Castle is by FAR the superior in ring worker. Cody's in ring is solid, but unspectacular. I'd pass on 10 of Cody's best matches just to watch any one of Castle's worst. His charisma is off the charts, it's just too bad he hasn't had a memorable feud since Silas Young over a year ago. I blame ROH for that more than I would Dalton.
I guess Balor Club being for everybody doesn't include Vince McMahon.

Speaking of rainbow pride, did anyone catch the latest Lucha Underground? New wrestler XO Lishus is a riot. The man has enough ass to properly twerk, and boy does he ever.
Git' in under mah belly!
Poor Cody strikes me as a guy who doesn't QUITE realize what his level actually is.
XO Lishus was certainly something else.
So Castle made it thru the Rhodes/Scurll match only to lose to Jay Lethal in a 5-way for the ROH title on Saturday. I was bummed just because I had told my son on Friday I was hoping that he would still have the title when we see them on 7/21. Dammit.

And yeah, I love Castle. I have 2 of his t-shirts and the only other ROH t-shirt I have is for Red Dragon. He is super charismatic and a great worker. And he has The Boys!
In case anyone forgot what a massive asshole The Ultimate Warrior was...

I just downloaded "The Death of WCW" on Audible. One of my favorite books and I'm happy that this version has some additional material that covers TNA and how they're making the same mistakes that WCW did back in the day.
Aside from a few live shows I'm hitting up this Summer, I'm not really following right now. I hear through the grapevine that Impact has improved significantly under Don Callis. Can anyone confirm?

Somewhat related: Match announced for All In pits ROH vs Impact. Lethal vs Callihan.

Callihan has always struck me as a one trick pony and would have fit better in 90's ECW. I'm sure Lethal can pull a 3+ star match out of him for a special occasion, but one would think Impact could put forth a better representative for an event so many eyes will be on.
Callihan is pretty limited. I enjoy his act in LU for what it is and I'm confident Lethal will get got work out of him.
(07-05-2018, 08:31 PM)Anjin Wrote: In case anyone forgot what a massive asshole The Ultimate Warrior was...

I mean, you can disagree with his views, and he went with an asshole way of speaking, but a lot of what he said was not strictly incorrect. It's just that he should have kept a lot of it to himself for the sake of sensitivity. Some people have no filter. For example, Donald Trump.

(07-06-2018, 12:48 PM)Anjin Wrote: Aside from a few live shows I'm hitting up this Summer, I'm not really following right now. I hear through the grapevine that Impact has improved significantly under Don Callis. Can anyone confirm?

It seems to have marginally improved, all things considered, but everytime I try to watch the crowd is mostly dead. No matter how hard the people in the ring are working, if the crowd isn't into it then I have a hard time getting invested as well. At least Lucha Underground shows b-roll of happy attendees between spots to make the show appear to be more hype than it actually is.
Git' in under mah belly!
Ugh, not that I want to get political or anything... but "asshole way of speaking" is a pretty nice way to phrase "outright homophobia and bigotry". It's beyond just being insensitive. The guy saw entire swaths of people as lesser human beings. That's more than misguided, the man was a hateful lunatic.

Your comparison to Trump is apt, at least.
"No filter on your thoughts" makes me uncomfortable because it's sidestepping and excusing actually condemning his thoughts as evil or wrong or bad. Which they were.
Always thought the Ultimate Warrior was a complete joke and of course I learned later he was also a raging dumpster fire of a human being. He wasn't ultimate nor a warrior, just trash.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Doesn't Jim Cornette despise him or something?
Cornette despises A LOT of people but yes, he's not a fan.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I'm listening to "Death of WCW", watching Brian Zane`s review of Bash at the Beach 2000, and now David Arquette is a guest on Match Game.

This much WCW can't be good for me.
I can disassociate the character of the Ultimate Warrior from the man that played him. I can still look or think back to his heydey and find nostalgic joy. He was my favorite in the 80's. At least he didn't kill anyone.

I still can't try to enjoy Benoit's exploits because his actions are too hard to ignore. Everytime I try, it always devolves to, "Yeah that/match/moment was great... but then he killed his wife and son and then himself", and the memory is soured. He was my favorite in the late 90's/early 2000s. Dammit.

It's how I'm able to enjoy Tom Cruise movies despite him being a crazy cultist. I'm actually interested in the new Mission Impossible.
Git' in under mah belly!
The Benoit thing is weird for me. I'm not saying it's excusable or anything - but he had the brain of an 86-year-old Alzheimer's patient. It's not like it was a cold-blooded, pre-meditated, sane decision - the guy was seriously mentally ill. It doesn't excuse his actions, but I find the amount of sheer "fuck that guy!" rhetoric around him absolutely heartbreaking.

In other shitty news, Hiromu Takahashi may have suffered a broken neck during his G1 Special match with Dragon Lee. The perpetrator was a release Phoenix-Plex (which is a terrible idea, by the way). He finished the match okay after move as normal, but it appears he collapsed backstage or something similar. There's clips about of the move . . . it's not the worst head-drop I've ever seen from a purely visual perspective, but the angle sure is ugly as fuck as pertains to the amount of body weight in completely the wrong place. Hope he's okay.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Yeah, I read about that--ugh. Sean Waltman posted a tweet saying that he's broken his neck twice and come back to wrestle after both and wished him well.
Apparently Jim Ross got hurt during the Juice vs Switchblade match when White threw Juice into the barricades near the announce table, and the force sent JR out of his seat and tumbling. Barnett was beyond pissed. That being said, I'm so stoked for Juice taking the US title. That kid deserves to go the distance in this business. You can see Dusty's influence on his promos every time he opens his mouth.

I haven't seen the G1 US Special yet, but I did see the Bullet Club implosion after the main event. How crazy is it to be seeing Haku destroying motherfuckers in 2018!
WWE ratings have fallen to all time lows. I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks the shows have become fucking unwatchable.
Been that way for a long time now. People point to NXT or 205 Live as hope for the future but they're not. Even when Vince finally kicks the bucket the overall WWE product will be the same old shit in a shinier package.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
When Vince is gone and Triple H steps up, how can the product do anything BUT improve? Seriously?

Say what you want about Trips, but he does know and respect the WRESTLING side of the business in a way VKM does not. Also, he's not a batshit senile old fuck. He wouldn't be issuing insane directives every other week like "don't call it a belt", and getting angry at people for sneezing and shit.

It won't be the dream product us smarks want, and there will always be stupid booking and storylines in WWE .... but the main shows will start adapting some traits of NXT (and elsewhere) - and at least that'll be interesting to watch unfold. Right NOW I can't even muster enough interest to read the RAW/Smackdown results, let alone watch these abysmal shows.
The final straw for me to stop watching WWE on a regular basis was when Hornswaggle was revealed as McMahon's bastard son. "The Lil' Bastard is Vince's bastard! Isn't that funny!?"

I only chime in here and there, mainly around the Big 4 times, just to see what's going on. But anytime I try to watch an actual episode of Raw or SmackDown, I just can't. It usually takes only two or three segments to make me tune back out. I like NXT sometimes, and when they do limited time things like the CWC and the MYC.

Back when it was good I followed TNA to fill the void, but then turned to crap when Hogan and Bischoff came. The only wrestling show I follow now is Lucha Underground, because it's treated more like a telenovela, and takes breaks like a regular TV show. Season 4 has been a bit rough s far, but I still like it.

Once Vince passes on or relenquishes control, and the entire company becomes a higher budgeted NXT, then I might return.
Git' in under mah belly!
This is only tangentially related to wrestling, but has anyone seen RoastMasters on YouTube?  

They pit comedians against each other in roasts, and it's so blatantly lifting from the wrestling playbook complete with a championship belt, entrance music and sound bites of Flair's "Wooo!" and Macho Man's "Oh Yeah!" used frequently.  It's actually kind of cool to see a pro wrestling format adapted to a non-wrestling environment.  They even have a streaming service like a lot of indy promotions where you can pay to see the full shows instead of individual match-ups posted to YT.
Lip Sync Battle does this too, complete with champonship belt.
Git' in under mah belly!
I still DVR Raw and Smackdown, but I never watch the episodes. I try sometimes if I have nothing else to watch, but end up FF through most of the show if I do watch it. Hell, I do that sometimes with ROH.

That's right. The day before Wrestlemania.

They're going to pull out all the stops for this and I can't wait!

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Gah, just beat me to it!

This is HUGE news!  McMahon has had MSG locked down for longer than I've been on this planet.  Even Turner couldn't get WCW booked there when Nitro was steamrolling RAW.  I'm SO happy for ROH and NJPW!!!

More info here.
Holy shit!  Here i was excited back when LU and Impact had a show on Twitch!