Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
So what monumentally classic film did you only just watch now you witless imbecile?
That's a wonderful rule. I can think of about five right off the top of my head. Ghost Rider, The Blob, Soldier, Event Horizon, Men in Black (in 1992 with Gene Hackman and Wesley Snipes)..
The Fifth Element.

That’s the one where my theory originated. If that shit had half the budget and you swapped Besson and Bruno for Carpenter and Kurt, that’s in my all time top 50.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I can't see The Fifth Element working with half the budget. You're talking about a movie where the whole big idea was to bring Jean-Claude Mézières and Moebius stuff to life, cutting the budget in half seems like it'd fuck with that. Also to throw a wrench in that, just the year before Carpenter did Escape from LA.

(07-29-2019, 08:11 AM)fraid uh noman Wrote: That's a wonderful rule. I can think of about five right off the top of my head. Ghost Rider, The Blob, Soldier, Event Horizon, Men in Black (in 1992 with Gene Hackman and Wesley Snipes)..

He kind of stopped giving a shit by the time Ghost Rider happened. I can still remember this Starz Greg Nicotero doc I saw years ago when STARZ was part of Netflix; there's a part of it where Nicotero is working on Ghost of Mars, and he's asking Carpenter where he wants stuff in the shot, and Carpenters like: Just put it anywhere, it doesn't matter.
No....Ghost Rider in like, 1984 with Kurt Russell. Not John Carpenter making the 2007 film. And Event Horizon is literally Prince of Darkness on a space ship. Although....I can't really say no to any Carpenter film. Even Ghosts of Mars, as bad as it is, entertains me.
After picking up the Criterion blu last week I finally got around to watching BLOOD SIMPLE.

Goddamn was that intense. Due to my new 3 AM wake up call I figured I might fall asleep ten minutes in like I have been lately, but from the moment M. Emmett Walsh does his double-cross and a disturbingly beardless John Getz aimlessly wanders into the aftermath I was a bundled coil of nerves all the way to the bitter end.

I also appreciated the fact that you could definitely tell Joel Coen had only recently spent a good deal of time editing the original EVIL DEAD as numerous scenes, in particular the live burial, mimic the frenetic style and genuinely gruesome atmosphere of Raimi’s film.
Yo, Castle in the Sky is a ton of fun and between this, Porco Rosso, Castle of Cagliostro, and Mononoke, is Hayao Miyazaki secretly one of the best action directors out there? Certainly at least in animation.

Also, watched the dub and Mark Hamill definitely showed up to play as Muska, though he doesn't quite get the Raiders of the Lost Ark-style exit he so richly deserves.
I should give the dub a try sometime, but I had to do the original audio just for the weird-ass '80s anime Terminator soundtrack. Great little film, in any case.
(07-30-2019, 10:41 AM)colonelcaine Wrote: After picking up the Criterion blu last week I finally got around to watching BLOOD SIMPLE.

Goddamn was that intense. Due to my new 3 AM wake up call I figured I might fall asleep ten minutes in like I have been lately, but from the moment M. Emmett Walsh does his double-cross and a disturbingly beardless John Getz aimlessly wanders into the aftermath I was a bundled coil of nerves all the way to the bitter end.

I also appreciated the fact that you could definitely tell Joel Coen had only recently spent a good deal of time editing the original EVIL DEAD as numerous scenes, in particular the live burial, mimic the frenetic style and genuinely gruesome atmosphere of Raimi’s film.

BLOOD SIMPLE is a great debut, and M. Emmett Walsh is a god.

If you can track it down, I highly recommend RED ROCK WEST as a companion piece. That is a neo noir double feature I'd be programming the hell out of in my fictional theater for cool people.
I've.....still never seen Blood Simple. I need to rectify that..
Seeing BLOOD SIMPLE late into a Coen fandom is an interesting experience, because it retrospectively becomes clear that several of their movies are effectively a different spin on their first movie.
I just saw PURPLE RAIN for the first time, and as a film....

....it's not very good. The acting is poor for the most part, the plot and motivations are nonsensical (sure, The Kid is musically talented, but even giving a mulligan for the 2 times he hits Vanity, he still treats her like garbage), and overall you'd wonder how this got made and why it's a big deal....

...aside from the fact that The Revolution and The Time fucking DESTROY when they're playing music. It's definitely in the "not very good but highly entertaining" category.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Don't you want to visit Lake Minnetonka now?
The movie is far from dramatically compelling, but try naming something else that had the kind of muscle to its soundtrack that Purple Rain has.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
chavez is pretty spot on about PURPLE RAIN. Prince's character is an immature, abusive asshole. Appollonia's ridiculously hot but otherwise not too talented.

But the music fucking DESTROYS. The album is an easy contender for top five GOAT for the 1980s.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(08-12-2019, 06:02 PM)huntertarantino Wrote: The movie is far from dramatically compelling, but try naming something else that had the kind of muscle to its soundtrack that Purple Rain has.

HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH and STREETS OF FIRE, to name two. But it's a short fucking list, that's for sure.

Anyway, the Mrs and I went to see a Prince tribute earlier this summer - it's apparently a Vegas show, called Purple Reign, that came to our area. They were fucking SPECTACTULAR. Complete with a Morris Day and Jerome and a Vanity! It was basically all you'd want from a Prince show.

Its been awhile since I've seen Purple Rain, but I do remember Morris Day being a lot of fun. Of course the performance of Purple Rain is amazing.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
The "Let's Go Crazy" opening is amazing and one of the most glorious 10 minutes the 80's brought us. The rest? Well, it gave us the soundtrack, so it was all worth it in the end.
It introduced the world to Lake Minnetonka, one of the coolest lakes in our state.
(08-13-2019, 07:38 AM)Mangy Wrote: The "Let's Go Crazy" opening is amazing and one of the most glorious 10 minutes the 80's brought us. The rest? Well, it gave us the soundtrack, so it was all worth it in the end.

Every single performance in the film is fucking amazing (but I'll grant you that, yeah, the opening is killer). That they're surrounded by a super dysfunctional, abusive "love" story is unfortunate.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(08-13-2019, 07:40 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: It introduced the world to Lake Minnetonka, one of the coolest lakes in our state.

It mentions Lake Minnetonka, they never actually go there.

(08-13-2019, 05:03 PM)chavez Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 07:40 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: It introduced the world to Lake Minnetonka, one of the coolest lakes in our state.

It mentions Lake Minnetonka, they never actually go there.

Crap, that's right.  She purifies herself in the wrong lake.  Damn, it's been a loooooooooooooong time since my last viewing.

eta: they filmed that on a stretch of the Minnesota River down in Henderson, MN.
Minnetonka may not be in the movie but we're still introduced to it - I mean, most of us would've never even known such a lake even existed if it hadn't been mentioned.

It's a beautiful lake, great for fishing, boating, waterskiing, and general enjoyment.
[Image: Lake_Minnetonka_aerial.jpg][Image: lake-minnetonka-1.jpg][Image: 59a6c0b447b77.image.jpg][Image: 5cc36a0fbdc7a.image.jpg]
Morris Day and Jerome (oh and Apollonia Kotero) make the non-musical parts of Purple Rain tolerable for me. Glad they brought The Time back for Jay & Silent Bob! 

Has anybody bothered with the two other Prince films? I thought Under The Cherry Moon has some nice French locations, but was overall boring. I couldn't even finish the PR sequel, Graffiti Bridge.
UNDER THE CHERRY MOON is terrible. Avoid. I never saw GRAFFITI BRIDGE.
Yeah, UTCM is really, really bad. Some good tunes but just listen to the album.

Also never saw GRAFFITI BRIDGE. Probably never will.

I watched David Byrne's TRUE STORIES on Criterion Channel, and absolutely loved it. It's like the happiest David Lynch movie David Lynch didn't make. BLUE VELVET came out the same year, and you won't see two films on a similar wavelength with a more radically different view of small town America. I really liked it, and didn't realize the video for "Wild Wild Life" was just a scene from the movie.