Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Achievements
To counter the snark, I thought I'd start a thread for Chewers to celebrate personal achievements and share their victories, no matter how small, with other Chewers. I was think of doing something like this when Overlord posted about his Tetris Achievement, but now I have something to share.

As some of you know, I play in a volleyball league. Tonight we won the Divisional Championship, and I personally scored 15 straight points via serves to help us snag the victory. It was a great feeling for my team as we started off the season pretty poorly. Next week we'll play in the interdivisional playoffs, in which we will undoubtedly get cremated. But in the meantime, I'm gonna walk around with a huge smile on my face. Division Champs! Woo Hoo!
Three huzzahs for Diva! ...well, at least one, right?

Buncha curmudgeons.
Not a bad idea for a thread.

About three years ago, I started doing stand-up comedy as a hobby. While I still do it recreationally (sounds like a habit?), recently I have gotten four paid gigs that take place over the next three weeks.

I have no plans to ever be a famous comedian, and will probably always have a day job, but getting paid to work in a real comedy club is very rewarding.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wehman

Not a bad idea for a thread.

About three years ago, I started doing stand-up comedy as a hobby. While I still do it recreationally (sounds like a habit?), recently I have gotten four paid gigs that take place over the next three weeks.

I have no plans to ever be a famous comedian, and will probably always have a day job, but getting paid to work in a real comedy club is very rewarding.

Are you in Cbus? Where are you playing?
Well it's not a huge achievement but I have lost a couple of pounds of body fat and have gained a few pounds of muscle. My body fat percentage is lower and my cholestoral level is great. Baby steps! My goal will be reached! Hopefully soon but it will be reached.
Thanks to the Bears' Monday Night comeback I have won the football pool at work 3 weeks straight. It's also been over 4 months since I last spotted blood in my stool.
I took a pretty big dump earlier today, thinking about posting about it in the talking shit thread.
I understood the point of Seven.
This past spring/summer I lost close to 30 pounds and two days ago I got a promotion at work along with a nice little raise.
I ignored the "bad urges" in my head for another day.
I managed to shit in the toilet, instead of on the toilet. Some days it could go either way.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin

I submitted my first feature Beantown to Slamdance Film Festival last weekend, we won't find out until the first week of December who the picks are going to be and we have little to no chance of making it in, but I started making the thing when I was 18 and after all the anguish and insane difficulty to finally get it done it feels damn good to finally let the little guy out into the wide world.

Congrats Stormin. Hope we get to see it sometime.

About a year ago a started a production company. We handle ads, music videos and the like. We've been doing unusually well for a startup company. About two weeks ago, we were contacted by the biggest production company in the country. They've heard about us and are interested in starting up a new company with us as equal partners. Pretty excited about that.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarant

About a year ago a started a production company. We handle ads, music videos and the like. We've been doing unusually well for a startup company. About two weeks ago, we were contacted by the biggest production company in the country. They've heard about us and are interested in starting up a new company with us as equal partners. Pretty excited about that.

Asked to be paid in Playstation 3's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin

Holy shit man, congrats! Do you mean biggest feature production company, or in your guys' specialty?

Fuck, I wish they were a feature production company. But the way I've always seen ads and music videos is that you get large amounts of money to go mad, mess around with all the latest equipment and hopefully become a better filmmaker in the process. A feature is definitely in the cards...
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I had my first paid production gig last month and i've got the second, much bigger one next month. Pretty chuffed with myself...

Also, does this mean Diva is a hardbody?!
Last night I ate a plate of barbecue, 1 fried chicken leg, collard greens, a dab of col' slaw, 2 slices of ham, a roll, and a couple scoops of beans in less than 2 minutes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by neaux

Last night I ate a plate of barbecue, 1 fried chicken leg, collard greens, a dab of col' slaw, 2 slices of ham, a roll, and a couple scoops of beans in less than 2 minutes.

Today you should get a cholesterol test. Your veins shouldn't make a crunching sound when you give blood.

Personal achievement: I've got two beautiful kids and a hot wife who's pregnant with our third. Life is good.

Congrats to the Chewers, above. Except Moltisanti. The Bears didn't cover. Good news about the stool, though.
They didn't need to cover. The pool is just picking winners straight up. Actually, I didn't even need the Bears to win. It was a tie-breaker situation so I needed the combined score of both teams to be at least 43 points.

I'm a winner. You can never take that away from me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti

I'm a winner. You can never take that away from me.

Your stools are still that creepy mustard color though. Sorry to bring you down, but it's the truth.
Some Aboriginal tribes consider bloody stools to be a sign of God-like powers. I'm pretty sure it means cancer.
Molt, get to a doctor. You can't mess with your health, even if the blood has disappeared, and you can die before folks like fabfunk and Lucidz.
I'm currently playing the role of David in a production of John Olive's Voice of the Prairie, and we got a 3 and 1/2 star (out of four) review in the local paper.

That's all I got.

Edited to specify role and remove an extraneous "the."
I got a dunk in a basketball game last night. Pretty good, as I'm 39 years old now, and my knees are pretty shot from all my high-flying years.
I won my elementary school Spelling Bee when I was in 5th grade. I beat a 3rd grader when he misspelled "icicle". I won with the word "grouch". Fear my spelling skillz.

EDIT: Oh, and also, I was on CNN for about 3 seconds this past weekend. They did a story that involved my wife in the "Health" portion of "American Morning", and during the footage they showed my wife and I playing T-ball with my son outside. They held off on the footage of him tagging me in the crotch with the ball for a later edition of "America's Funniest Nut Shots".
Six months ago I started a company that specialized in doing Sound Effects and Backgrounds for films and television. Last week I merged with a much larger sound studio at a decent profit plus kept my position as lead cutter and engineer.

Plus, one of the TV series I worked on was nominated for a Gemini (Canadian version of the Emmys) for Best Sound.
Wow, congrats everyone! There's some really cool stuff in here. Not only is it a great way to celebrate these achievements, I'm learning a little bit more about who you all are outside of your internet personas. Keep sharing!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrichead

I managed to shit in the toilet, instead of on the toilet. Some days it could go either way.

My wife and I recently have gotten my daughter to do the same thing... she's 2.

Any parent should know that potty-training your first born is quite an achievement.
I enjoy bowling as a recreational activity and once picked up a 7-10 split. This past Saturday I got the game winning RBI for my team in our softball league. Later that night I picked-up a chick in a bar.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Man Mundt

I enjoy bowling as a recreational activity and once picked up a 7-10 split.

My first patch when I started bowling was picking up a "Big 4" split. The 4-6-7-10. It was complete luck. I didn't even see it. I threw the ball at the 4-7 and after it hit those, I turned and walked away. Everyone started yelling, because apparently one of the pins bounced off the back wall and hit the 6-10 pins.

Congrats on the 7-10. I've only seen one person do that, and it's freakin' tough.
Yeah, thank baby Jeebus that I have witnesses otherwise I don't think any one would ever belive me. Funnily enough my buddies and I offer each other money to pick up complicated spares. The more difficult the spare the more money, obviously none of us thinking that any of us will pick up the spare as we're good but not 7-10 split good. I took $60 of those clowns.
Biggest would be that I finally quit a 5 year old job that left me with gray hair, hypertension and a receding hairline at 26 years old for the same job at a different company with half the responsibility (read: stress) and for the same money with limitless raise potential. I think my blood pressure is prouder of me than anyone.

I've also taken what started as a little Photoshop Hobby and turned it into a blossoming career, having struck a deal to be on the art department of an independent film - which will yield a paycheck and my name in the credits. That's got me on clouds at the moment.
One year ago, a local producer offered to support a little movie project of mine. Later on, I gave him a treatment of a bigger flick and to my surprise, he really liked it. Said he and his company will think about it. Next time we met he told me that thing is greenlit and ready to be made for a flabbergasting 7 figure sum.

That was a great time, until months later the project was put on ice and into development hell. Basically no real achievement, but the whole thing made me proud as a writer and sure that this is the right future to follow. Right now I'm working on an indie project.
I made some damn fine photographs for a college class.
Pitched a no hitter in my leagues baseball playoffs to help my team make it to the finals. 3 years later pitched a one hitter in Game 6 to win the championship to help my club team win its first league title in 25 years.
Nice one Diva! Both for your game & starting this thread, great idea. Also congrats to everyone else for their personal greatness, whether it be film-making prowess or simply the heartwarming reward of shitting in the right place!

My own little bit of feeling good can be found in the sports forum, even though it's not much of an achievement. A thread I started right before I found this one. A little coinky-dink I think.