Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Achievements
I had a story published this month and another one is getting published in December. I was hoping to have both of them out for Halloween but so it goes.
10 days sober. I know it doesn't seem like much, but this has to be the longest I've gone without drinking in years. I thought it might be fun to give Sober October a whirl this month, just to see how long I could make it. I figured I'd be back on the sauce after a day or two.

But it's been a week and a half, and I'm still going strong. I've noticeably lost weight, I sleep like a rock and I can taste food again; I had no idea that my sense of taste had been so depleted by booze. My soul-crushing depression has faded a bit, too. It's back to a baseline melancholy that I can manage.

I'm pretty confident that I can finish out the rest of the month without spiraling out. Once October's over, I'll probably drink socially, but not go back to being the blackout drinker who can't remember the second half of any movie he's seen since 2013.
Congratulations, Brad!

If you can go a whole month without alcohol, why not try for 2 months?

Whoa, slow your roll!
good on you, Brad. For what it's worth, it gets easier and easier as time goes by. I haven't had a drink in close to 4 years now and it's not even an issue for me anymore.
There's a bar in my new neighborhood that I miss. It's become my Cheers. All the bartenders know my name, except the owner who calls me Eric. But whatever. They're nice.
Congrats Brad. I know temptation is a thing, but I'm an English non-drinker and I still spent every night in the pub and we had a lock-in almost every night. I just drank OJ or super dilute shandies if I was feeling frisky.

Proud of you. Not that means much.
"I'll live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man.

PSN and Steam gamer tag: rockbollocks

Blizzard ID: Rockbollocks#11635
Oh, it means a bunch, you old so-and-so.
Congratulations Bradito!
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
(10-10-2018, 03:12 PM)bradito Wrote: 10 days sober. I know it doesn't seem like much, but this has to be the longest I've gone without drinking in years. I thought it might be fun to give Sober October a whirl this month, just to see how long I could make it. I figured I'd be back on the sauce after a day or two.

But it's been a week and a half, and I'm still going strong. I've noticeably lost weight, I sleep like a rock and I can taste food again; I had no idea that my sense of taste had been so depleted by booze. My soul-crushing depression has faded a bit, too. It's back to a baseline melancholy that I can manage.

I'm pretty confident that I can finish out the rest of the month without spiraling out. Once October's over, I'll probably drink socially, but not go back to being the blackout drinker who can't remember the second half of any movie he's seen since 2013.

Pfft, quitter.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Congrats Brad! I will say that my general health increased while my weight decreased after cutting back quite a bit on the sauce.  I still drink socially on weekends, but not during the week.  Although I will cop to overdoing it whenever we have one of our backyard BBQ/parties that Boone has been avoiding like the plague for the last two summers.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.