Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Television Stuff You Just Realized

One of my American friends is currently addicted to a British show I've never bothered watching called Doc Martin...

However, whilst looking it up on Wikipedia, I discovered it's actually a spin-off from a 2000 Craig Ferguson movie (yes, that Craig Ferguson) called Saving Grace which I remember watching years back. Martin Clunes is actually playing the same character in both. I doubt this fact will do anything for anyone else but it was definitely a "Wow! Really?" moment for me!

ACo-Creator and Director John Fawcett has cited "Memento" as a major inspiration for Orphan Black.

Kool Trivia Indeed

At least reword it next time, or put it into quotation marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

One of my American friends is currently addicted to a British show I've never bothered watching called Doc Martin...

However, whilst looking it up on Wikipedia, I discovered it's actually a spin-off from a 2000 Craig Ferguson movie (yes, that Craig Ferguson) called Saving Grace which I remember watching years back. Martin Clunes is actually playing the same character in both. I doubt this fact will do anything for anyone else but it was definitely a "Wow! Really?" moment for me!

The weird thing with that is that although he plays the same character, the character is completely different.

I remember Doc Martin the movie being very typical MBH Martin Clunes, whereas the one in the TV show is supremely uptight, bordering on arsehole.

On my rewatch of Arrested Development I saw that two Merlotte's waitresses were in it - Arlene was Jan Eagleman, the prosecutor for Mock Trial, and Holly was the narcoleptic stripper.

AI'm completely obsessed with "The L Word," and it just occurred to me that the characters don't always drink beer, but when they do, they drink Dos Eqius.

A bottle of Dos Equis has two X's on the label. Women have two X chromosomes.

I'm a fucking genius.

Wings was a spin-off from Cheers.

(I've never actually seen Wings but know of it via Youtube clips and articles. Never realized it was connected to Cheers, though.)

Wings wasn't a spinoff, but it was created by Cheers writers and did cross over with Cheers (since both the bar and the airfield were in Massachusetts).

AOn Archer, when Cheryl exclaims, "this is all happening just like the gypsy woman said," she's referencing the plot of Stephen King's Thinner. When she repeats the gag in later seasons and in different scenarios, it's clear that running over gypsy women in her car is something she's made a habit out of.

Don Draper's secret origin is lifted whole cloth from the Seymour Skinner (nee Armin Tamzarian)'s, as revealed in a controversial Simpsons episode that aired roughly a decade before Mad Men premiered.

AWhile watching Mr Rodgers neighborhood with my little girl this week I spotted a not only a young Keith David as the Southwood Carpenter but Michael Keaton in the back of a few Neighborhood of Make-Believe segments.

I've recently been rewatching the UK crime mini-series Messiah which aired in 2001. It's a good show, and still largely holds up almost fifteen years later, but it started to bug me that the lead character's deaf wife looked really familiar. It wasn't until I started watching the follow-up, Messiah: Vengeance Is Mine that it finally bugged me enough to look up the name of the actress.

It's only Michelle Forbes! How random.

Next up: I discover George Clooney appeared in Eastenders as hunky taxi driver Bob The Yank between 1994 and 1996.

Thanks to this thread, I learned that no less than three (3) distinct sci-fi shows feature a woman's spine glowing red during arousal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Roger Allam played Illyrio in S1 of Game of Thrones. Had no idea as he was virtually unrecognizable under his huge beard. Also, the actor who played Brutus to Ciaran Hinds' Caesar in Rome will be joining the S3 cast.

And both of those actors have appeared in The Thick of It.  I've always secretly hoped to see more actors from that show end up as characters in Westeros, but I think those two remain the only ones.

Not technically Westerosian, but he was "The King's Hand":

I was just reading up on Kindergarten Cop at imdb as one does, and while looking up info on Pamela Reed(Kimble's partner in the movie) I noticed she played a character named "Marlene Knope" on Parks and Rec.  My first reaction was, "Huh, I don't remember any episodes with Leslie's aunt." Then it dawned on me..."Pamela Reed looks an awful lot like Jane Curtin...no...it can't be..."

Up until that moment I was certain that Jane Curtin played her mom.  Like so certain, I would've brashly bet any amount of money that she did.  I mean it makes sense given their SNL roles, why wouldn't Jane Curtin play her mom.  I almost feel like they tried to get Jane Curtin, couldn't, but to placate Poehler, they just asked Pamela Reed to pretend to be Curtin and hoped she didn't notice.

AYou make it sound like casting Pamela Reed equals settling for less. She's awesome and should have had a bigger career. Check her out in The Right Stuff and The Best of Times, and see if you can dig up her early-90s TV show Grand.

In 2007 Alison Brie and Jennifer Lawrence where both in a Comedy Central unaired pilot called Not Another Teen TV Show.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of boners suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.  How many middle school youths would have found adulthood at 4 o'clock in the afternoon after school?

First I realized that if Marvel ever decide to make a series of films out of the What If? comics, they have their perfect Uatu The Watcher in Conleth Hill (Varys from GOT). But thinking about it more, now I'm wondering if Conleth Hill actually based his performance there on The Watcher (yeah, probably not)

'Saved by the Bell' makes no sense for the title of a show about kids in middle school. And this is compounded by the usage of the phrase in the theme song.

Being 'saved by the bell' comes from boxing, where a fighter is saved from losing the match by the end of round bell sounding right before they're either knocked out or have a TKO declared. The theme song implies that a student who is running behind and will probably be tardy is miraculously 'saved by the bell.' Which is the opposite of what would happen if the bell sounded. Once the bell goes off, you are officially tardy. The only bell that would save them would be if someone pulled the fire alarm right before class started or something.

You're being too literal. The show is about Zack Morris (and friends) being saved by Bayside. If you thought Zack was at times a scheming manipulative little shit in the series, just imagine if he had dropped out of school. Without the influence of Mikey Gonzalez, Nikki Coleman, Kelly Kapowski, A.C. Slater, Jessie Spano, Samuel "Screech" Powers, Lisa Turtle, Tori Scott, Miss Bliss and Mr. Belding, he'd be a con man or the guy behind the celebrity photo leaks. Zack Morris was SAVED BY THE BELL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post

You make it sound like casting Pamela Reed equals settling for less. She's awesome and should have had a bigger career. Check her out in The Right Stuff and The Best of Times, and see if you can dig up her early-90s TV show Grand.

And the underrated show "Jericho".

I always thought "Saved By The Bell" meant that if the bell to your next class went off, you sometimes didn't have to finish work.  Like a teacher calls on you to answer a question, but the bell goes off and everybody just leaves.

Pamela Reed was good in Kindergarten Cop.  She also played Leslie Knope's mother in a few episodes of Parks and Rec

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

Pamela Reed was good in Kindergarten Cop.  She also played Leslie Knope's mother in a few episodes of Parks and Rec

That's where this discussion started. HypnoToad thought she was Jane Curtin because SNL newscasters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

I always thought "Saved By The Bell" meant that if the bell to your next class went off, you sometimes didn't have to finish work.  Like a teacher calls on you to answer a question, but the bell goes off and everybody just leaves.

That makes sense, but the opening theme song is all 'OH SHIT I'M LATE I'M LATE I'M LATE I'M LATE' not 'I'm daydreaming in class and the teacher calls on me and I didn't even hear the question and what the fuck do I say?'

ATechCrunchDisrupt, which I thought was made up as a pisstake thing in Silicon Valley is a real thing.

Which is as lame as that presented in the show

In Archer, Cheryl's pet ocelot Babou is named after Salvador Dali's pet ocelot.

I happened to stumble upon an article about "Lost episodes of television" and I realized that there was an unaired pilot of Buffy I'd missed and an episode of Batman TAS (I've watched the entire series 2-3 times over by now) that I had never seen as it was cobbled together from a Sega CD game.

Reeve Carney who plays Dorian Grey on Penny Dreadful played Spider-Man on the failed Broadway show.

AHey, I liked "Turn Off the Dark" when I saw it...

...and I own the original cast recording.

So I recently re-watched Band of Brothers and even 14 years after being made I'm still surprised how many yet-to-be-famous actors pop up in it.

This time around I noticed Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy, James McAvoy and Andrew Scott all have parts in it.

Catch Simon Pegg?

Him too.  But since that was mentioned on the first page I declined to mention him.

Michael Cudlitz from The Walking Dead is also present.

Same thing with Veronica Mars.  My girlfriend is doing a re-watch of it right now and has caught Jessica Chastain and Aaron Paul among others.

Max Headroom was make-up and lighting, NOT computer generated.

The definitive oral history of 1980s digital icon Max Headroom

Quote:

Matt Frewer/ACTOR For a time it was... I won't say it was infuriating, but it was frustrating — you wanted to go, "That's me, that's me, it’s not a computer-generated man." But of course they wanted to swear me to secrecy because otherwise anybody could make a computer-generated man if they knew that it was as easy as putting on all this make-up.

John Humphreys/PROSTHETICS DESIGNER I have to say, it was being presented as computer graphics, and I had people even say to me, who worked in some big companies in Britain, "Oh, you'll soon be out of a job, look at this, it's all done with computer graphics!"

Nice...

Quote:

Matt Frewer/ACTOR Over in London, we used, I think they're called haptic lenses, and they're hard lenses and quite a bit bigger than normal contact lenses. They were very painful to wear, and I ended up with severely lacerated corneas. I don't know if you've ever had a lacerated cornea, but it's the worst pain I think I've ever felt. I was popping painkillers, and it just wasn't working.

Annabel Jankel/CO-CREATOR / DIRECTOR That's why he then adopted Ray-Bans for some of the shows, and when his eyes healed we could put back in the contacts.

I mean, not the injuries but the iconic images evolving from them.