Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Television Stuff You Just Realized

On Arrested Development Season 4, Rebel Alley's son is named Lem. Following the Ron Howard family tradition of naming children after their place of conception, this implicates the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) replica in Howard's office. More sinisterly, it suggests some Chinatown-type scenario for Howard himself.

Arrested Development Season 4 could justify fifty threads of stuff like that.

Yes, but as a former junior spacebug I was just happy to figure that one out on my own.

A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/93995/television-stuff-you-just-realized/90#post_3788824"]I happened to stumble upon an article about "Lost episodes of television" and I realized that there was an unaired pilot of Buffy I'd missed and an episode of Batman TAS (I've watched the entire series 2-3 times over by now) that I had never seen as it was cobbled together from a Sega CD game. 
[/quote]

Seen 'em yet? The Buffy Pilot makes me wonder if Joss Whedon ever sends the odd fruit basket over to Not-Willow's house.
AOne for the lazy (or shrewd) casting file: Molly Parker is playing the same well-bred snooty adulteress on House of Cards that she did on Deadwood.

The first five seasons of Saturday Night Live didn't air in Pittsburgh because the city's NBC affiliate WPXI was getting good ratings with Chiller Theater. It showed old B horror flicks and was hosted by a local oldies DJ Chilly Billy. When Mark Twain said he wanted to be in Pittsburgh when the world ended because they get everything ten years late, this post is what he was talking about.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

It took way too long for me to put together that the Wyndham Rewards Wizard is Tormund Giantsbane.

Don't get those ads where I am but that's awesome. Best company mascot ever.

AStar Trek's Planet Risa is a fantasy version of Hawaii, without the offending presence of indigenous Pacific Islanders to clutter the white tourists' view.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Star Trek's Planet Risa is a fantasy version of Hawaii, without the offending presence of indigenous Pacific Islanders to clutter the white tourists' view.

Man, how great would that be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post

It took way too long for me to put together that the Wyndham Rewards Wizard is Tormund Giantsbane.

I just realized the Wyndham Rewards Wizard killed my parents.

ADavid the Gnome, or The World of David the Gnome was originally a Spanish language show called David, el Gnomo. For years I assumed that it was a full on Canadian production.
Quote:
 Chilly Billy

I remember sneaking out to the living room when everybody was asleep and watching his show. Must've been the 60's, before he got that cast of regulars and a fairly respectable set. I remember him sitting on a stool in front of a cardboard laboratory set with a drink and a cigarette (I could be wrong, but I believe I'm correct) goofing with whomever was behind the camera.

and let's not forget he played himself in the original Night of the Living Dead film!

ADuring a recent rewatch of Frisky Dingo, I picked up on something. At the beginning of the first episode of the series, Killface takes exception to the poet Shelley being mistaken for "that receptionist chick." ("Shelley was a man, you philistine!") Then, at the very end of the last episode, his real name turns out to be Evelyn, a fact he's obviously sensitive about. ("It's a man's name!")
AMore people should watch Frisky Dingo. There's an ant-themed villainess named Antagone, for Christ's sake.

As the blurb under my name suggests, I'm a bit of a fan myself. Love Antagone, she's so hilariously arch. It's like every other line out of her mouth is "mwa-ha-ha-ha!" I love pretty much everything about that show. I feel like it's kind of the forgotten Adam Reed project between Sealab 2021 and Archer. But honestly, it might be my favorite; it has more variety than Sealab, and has less need than Archer to be grounded in any kind of reality. Boosh!

Fox News fixture Chris Wallace is the son of 60 Minutes' Mike Wallace. I had no idea.

The spurned CIA chief from Homeland season 4 was Michael O'Keefe who played Danny Noonan in Caddyshack

AI didn't know where else to put this. I mean, it IS some television stuff I'm just realizing and I didn't know if bumping one of those old SoA threads would be something I'm not supposed to do.
Anyway, over the past couple of weeks, I've been watching the entirety of Sons of Anarchy (yet another TV show I'd never seen any of). I'm watching the season 6 finale right now. But, I'm starting to wonder if I wanna even finish it. Who the hell am I supposed to be rooting for? Everyone just becomes a bigger and bigger piece of shit. I guess Tara....but I don't anticipate a good end for her. Ron Perlman makes Walter White (though WW is a much more compelling character) look like Mr. Rogers. Aside from the goofy hilariousness of having some sort of brutal fight or insane shoot out every 30 seconds and nobody hardly ever getting killed, grazed, or even that banged up. It's like the old GI Joe cartoon almost. Other than that, this show is bordering on nihilistic.

And Gemma. Holy shit, Gemma. She deserves a wood chipper. I guess I can justify posting this in here instead of necro-ing a SoA thread by saying that I've realized that I may despise Gemma more than any other TV character I've ever seen..

I couldn't get through the second episode - I don't understand the appeal.

AYou're not alone.
A[quote name="WendellEverett" url="/community/t/93995/television-stuff-you-just-realized/120#post_3944795"]I couldn't get through the second episode - I don't understand the appeal.
[/quote]
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I almost know that I recall some talk about "once you get to seasons 3, 4 etc...it gets amazing." Not saying I read that on the boards anywhere...I can't remember where that talk came from...but it seemed to be really genuinely well liked after a certain point. But holy SHIT is it repetitive. Aside from wondering what the next horrifically gruesome thing to happen is gonna be, it's all just blending together. I guess I'm just compulsively watching it at this point. Kim Coates to me is the absolute standout in it though. I think he's been great the entire time.

I may just not even bother with season 7 but hell, I finished goddamn Dexter..
AWell, 6 finale is over. That was all very sickening. Or maybe I'm just a wussy..
A[quote name="Fraid uh noman" url="/community/t/93995/television-stuff-you-just-realized/120#post_3944798"]
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I almost know that I recall some talk about "once you get to seasons 3, 4 etc...it gets amazing." Not saying I read that on the boards anywhere...I can't remember where that talk came from...but it seemed to be really genuinely well liked after a certain point. But holy SHIT is it repetitive. Aside from wondering what the next horrifically gruesome thing to happen is gonna be, it's all just blending together. I guess I'm just compulsively watching it at this point. Kim Coates to me is the absolute standout in it though. I think he's been great the entire time.

I may just not even bother with season 7 but hell, I finished goddamn Dexter..[/quote]

You're misremembering. Popular consensus is pretty firm that it peaked something sharp after season 2, and from there it's just a question of when it moves from not-so-great to fully incoherent drivel.

But you've gotten through 6 years, might as well finish it out.
A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/93995/television-stuff-you-just-realized/100#post_3944809"]
You're misremembering. Popular consensus is pretty firm that it peaked something sharp after season 2, and from there it's just a question of when it moves from not-so-great to fully incoherent drivel.

But you've gotten through 6 years, might as well finish it out.[/quote]
Yeah the first two seasons are fun but it's shit after that.

The only way you should watch season 7 is by fast forwarding most of it. I think I skipped most of the episodes and hit the fast forward button a lot during the finale and I never skip episodes.
AI'm batting 2/2 on the TV shows I've chosen to watch...on the one hand SoA and Dexter (which had it's moments and season 2 was legitimately great) that just kinda curl up and die the longer they go on. But then again, I discovered Breaking Bad and Hannibal. Those two make SoA look like amateurish trash.

I have all the seasons of Game of Thrones sitting right here....but I'm afraid to get started. I know it's reputation...it'll be great...and I won't get shit done for days..

ETA: -in response to Anyawatchin Angel-
Yeah, I'm tempted to fast forward through 7 just to see Gemma get her comeuppance. Because fuck Gemma..
AThe wonderful actor, Raul Esparza, who portrays Chilton on Hannibal is now a regular on Law & Order SVU. I haven't watched that show in years but back about 7-8 years ago I went through a big SVU phase. USA had like DAILY fucking marathons of it. It doesn't seem so great now. Honestly, the show is beneath Esparza. I think he's just great. He's such a gloriously slimy little fuck in Hannibal. Does he remind anyone else of Templeton the Rat from the animated Charlotte's Web lol?
AI just realized that BBCA must be run by Trekkies because I cannot fathom any other reason why Star Trek the Next Generation seems to be on 24/7. Horrible.
ASomeone at a central office is at a complete loss to think of TV shows that a stereotypical American audience would like. Dukes of Hazzard ran the prerequisite seven seasons that syndicators look for, but our puzzled British official knows enough to know that the one season with Coy and Vance was dead on arrival.

Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy are a married couple. Both excellent actors, and both had fantastic TV shows where for the first 3 seasons the role was basically: brilliant but troubled character, works for a government agency, teeters on the edge of sanity, tries to keep doing the job while falling head over heels for the bad guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Yeah the first two seasons are fun but it's shit after that.

The only way you should watch season 7 is by fast forwarding most of it. I think I skipped most of the episodes and hit the fast forward button a lot during the finale and I never skip episodes.

I liked Season 4, or should I say I liked Lithgow in season 4.

The final season is hilarious, and it caps off with my personal pick for worst series finale ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

The final season is hilarious, and it caps off with my personal pick for worst series finale ever.

I haven't seen Dexter's, but if it can compete with the final vomit of pretension and nonsense that was Sons Of Anarchy's, it's in rarified territory.

My personal pick for worst is Lost, though.  I was prepared for a cop out after the less-than-stellar final season, but I still can't get over just how gutless and pandering the manner of copping was.

AAll I saw was pretension and I knew it was Sons of Anarchy without even clicking into the thread..

When you're pulling something off the shelves for a binge revisit because you're suddenly laid up for 4 days with a slight temperature and a wracking chest cold, Breaking Bad is a poor selection.

Walt coughs a lot less after season 2, at least. I swear to god if I have lung cancer I'm gonna ricin the shit out of Vince Gilligan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I haven't seen Dexter's, but if it can compete with the final vomit of pretension and nonsense that was Sons Of Anarchy's, it's in rarified territory.

My personal pick for worst is Lost, though.  I was prepared for a cop out after the less-than-stellar final season, but I still can't get over just how gutless and pandering the manner of copping was.

SOA is uniquely terrible, but it's at least an ending. (bonus points for being totally hilarious. "Come join the murderrrrrrr" hahaha shut up)

Dexter's finale might be the prime example of Showtime's refusal to tell a start-to-finish story on any of their damn shows. Netflix shows seem to last 10 minutes too long per episode, but Showtime shows all last 3-4 seasons beyond their breaking point.