Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Definitive "Help Me Figure Out The Name Of A Movie I Can't Remember" Thread
#1
HMFOTNOAMICR For those who need to have acronyms to make their life easier.

I found that there seems to be a proliferation of HMFOTNOAMICR threads on the boards recent so I thought a thread to contain them all might be called for.

The movie I can't remember the name of is a documentary about a tribal society. The particular tribe the documentary filmmakers are studying believe that when a person can no longer talk he or she is dead. So when one of the elders of the village has a stroke and loses her ability to talk she is buried alive by the tribe.

I know this will probably be a hard one to figure out. Trying to remember the name of the film has been bugging me for months and for all I can remember It might not even be a film. It might just be a segment on Sixty Minutes or an hour long program on PBS NOVA. I've spent hours of fruitless searching on google for the name of said tribe or aboriginal society, refining my search terms fifty different ways.

In the end sometimes you find yourself just having to rely on the memory of other people.
Reply
#2
Mine is from the mid 80's. I'd say 84 or 85.

I could have sworn it starred John Stockwell, but when I cross reference his movies the title doesn't ring a bell. The description of CITY LIMITS seems close, but not quite. It could be it though. I only remember one scene from the movie:

One of the heroes (not the John Stockwell character) is undercover, infiltrating a gang. He has an earring and wears a Dead Kennedy's T-shirt.
At one point he is fighting a guy, and the guy rips his earrring out...

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the movie I'm thinking of?

?

And no, it's not HIDING OUT.
Reply
#3
Mine is a horror/supernatural story I believe from the late 70's or earlier. Could possibly be a TV movie or an episode of a TV show (Night Gallery?) as well as a film.

Details I remember: Protagonist (a kid I believe) is running around at night and hiding from a woman statue that has come to life. I believe it may take place at a cottage or in a garden...

That's all I got.
Reply
#4
Posted in another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wwarez

Ok, I have one:
It was an Asian movie, these 2 samurai tribes go to war with guns, but it starts raining and the guns dont work. So one of the tribes sets out on a quest to find guns that are water proof. In the end they get this big minigun-like-weapon. Something like that. Anyone?

Reply
#5
When I was three, my family moved to a house directly across the street from a video-rental store and we must have rented at least three or four movies a week for the ten years that we lived there. Like most kids, I could watch the same movie over and over again, and one of my frequent rentals was what I assume to be a Japanese anime about some sort of spaceship captain. There was also a female love-interest and maybe an annoying kid, too. The two scenes I can remember are of a city being destroyed by a volcanic eruption while the mayor/ruler watches and of the captain and/or his friends in a ship that is getting perilously close to a star and about to burn up. This would be from around '85. Sound familiar to any Chewers?
Reply
#6
Might be something from the Captain Herlock, Galaxy Express animes.
Reply
#7
Quote:

Originally Posted by P-3

Mine is from the mid 80's. I'd say 84 or 85.

I could have sworn it starred John Stockwell, but when I cross reference his movies the title doesn't ring a bell. The description of CITY LIMITS seems close, but not quite. It could be it though. I only remember one scene from the movie:

One of the heroes (not the John Stockwell character) is undercover, infiltrating a gang. He has an earring and wears a Dead Kennedy's T-shirt.
At one point he is fighting a guy, and the guy rips his earrring out...

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the movie I'm thinking of?

?

And no, it's not HIDING OUT.

Are you sure you don't mean Dean Stockwell? John Stockwell was only an occasional actor.
Reply
#8
I've been trying desperately for some time to figure out the name of this one movie I saw maybe about 7 years ago. Firstly, I'm not 100% sure, but it might have been Australian.

It's about these people who go to a health resort to relax and are given these vitamins by some crazy doctor. Then weird things start happening to them. One guy watches a porn movie and gets such a major hardon that his dick explodes. Another guy has sex with his girlfriend and it's so hectically vigorous that his dick grows like 2 feet long, breaks through her back and kills her. There's also a scene where a 12-year-old goes skating on a ramp, slips, falls and rips half his face off. He just lies there dying.

I used to love this movie. Any ideas?
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Reply
#9
So this is my first post, but anyway, that Aussie film you're referring to is Body Melt.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106450/
It featured a Daddo brother (Australian royalty at the time).
Reply
#10
Thank You!
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Reply
#11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fabfunk

Are you sure you don't mean Dean Stockwell? John Stockwell was only an occasional actor.

No, John Stockwell. I remembered from "Quarterback Princess." And checking the IMDB he's stayed pretty busy. Anway, I don't think he's even the guy I'm thinking of.

So clearly, the movie I'm thinking of, stars a guy who reminded me of John Stockwell from "Quarterback Princess" in some vaque, distant memory.
Reply
#12
OK I have one that is impossible but I'll give it a try anyway.

I must have been 5-8 when I saw this on TV so that's like 1982-1985.

The only scene i really recall (and which has haunted me in nightmares ever since) is a scene taking place in a spaceship that is flying through the rings of Saturn (or some other planet with rings) and something happens causing the people in the control room to split apart revealing that they are in fact some sort of robots. I specifically remember this one guy holding on to a rail of some sorts and his arms split apart right by his wrists and you can se a bunch of spaghetti like wires inside his arms.

Some of the movie also took place on earth!

The same night I saw Spielberg's "The Duel" on TV and it too haunted me in the following months.
Reply
#13
this one may be impossible:
early to mid 70s is when i saw this movie, but i have no idea if it is in fact older

astronauts go on a journey to i think it was mars, they discover a giant ball/orb structure..... the giant orb splits open and ends up dragging one of the astronauts inside of it and the other astronaut has to blow it up and the kidnapped astronaut ends up dying

sorry i really dont remember much about the movie, but its been 30+ years since i actually saw it
Reply
#14
I ask one for a friend of mine:

She says the movie was about some soldiers who in war (mostlikely Vietnam) got tested with a new experimental drug. They get horrible hallucinations. Later on, they also get plagued by them in normal city life and she says, the hero possibly died in the very end.
Reply
#15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Myers

I ask one for a friend of mine:

She says the movie was about some soldiers who in war (mostlikely Vietnam) got tested with a new experimental drug. They get horrible hallucinations. Later on, they also get plagued by them in normal city life and she says, the hero possibly died in the very end.

Sounds like Jacob's Ladder.
Reply
#16
Good thread, good thread. I have a scene from this horror movie stabbed in my head from days long past that still terrifies me and I wish to hell I could watch just one more time. Here goes:

Kids camping out in woods (with or without adults, can't remember)... kid in a sleeping bag zipped up to the rim with only his face exposed... MUTANT BEAR, I shit you not, COMES OUT OUT NOWHERE AND KILLS EVERYONE (maybe not everyone but I'm just guessing here)... kid Still in sleeping bag zipped up to the rim hops away screaming... kid in sleeping bag gets slammed or thrown against a tree FUCKIN' HARD BOOM... that's all I remember. I believe this piece of gruesome magic centers around mutated animals of some sort; not sure though.

I need this movie. Like a kid needs a sleeping bag in the cold. Nevermind the mutant bear, fuck him, Gimme The Heat, Man! Ahem. Little help?
Reply
#17
I believe that's "The Prophecy" with Armand Assante and Talia Shire.
Reply
#18
Huh. So it IS called The Prophecy. Whenever I tell my folks about 'that bear movie' they laugh and go "Prophecy", and I'm all "No No No that's Christopher Walken, he's not in this", and my brother always nervously laughs "SHUT UP!" and leaves the room. Long story.



Merry Christmas, Jacknife. And Thank You.
Reply
#19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Prankster

Sounds like Jacob's Ladder.

First thing that came to my mind, but she insists it's not Jacob. Wondering.

Anyways, that bear movie sounds awesome. I'm gonna rent/buy that one. Maybe the bear - after beaten to a bloody mess - also reaches out for Talia Shire in the end and begins to scream ADRRIIIOARRR...
Reply
#20
All right, so check it...

Many moons ago (I'm thinking 1997), on TV there was this show shot all Blair Witch Style which documented Aliens attacking a family.

Does anyone remember this or know the title of this show? It's driving me up a goddamned wall.
Reply
#21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Devildoubt

All right, so check it...

Many moons ago (I'm thinking 1997), on TV there was this show shot all Blair Witch Style which documented Aliens attacking a family.

Does anyone remember this or know the title of this show? It's driving me up a goddamned wall.

Oh god! I have no idea what the title of it is but I know what you're talking about and it's been driving me nuts as well. I was sort of young when I watched it but I remember being very entertained.

Edit: I did a google search and found this thread: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...hp/t20979.html

Apparently it's called "Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County"
Reply
#22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl

Oh god! I have no idea what the title of it is but I know what you're talking about and it's been driving me nuts as well. I was sort of young when I watched it but I remember being very entertained.

Edit: I did a google search and found this thread: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...hp/t20979.html

Apparently it's called "Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County"

Thanks Werewolf Girl. The best part of this show is when the kid pees himself. On TV!
Reply
#23
Quote:

Originally Posted by P-3

Mine is from the mid 80's. I'd say 84 or 85.

I could have sworn it starred John Stockwell, but when I cross reference his movies the title doesn't ring a bell. The description of CITY LIMITS seems close, but not quite. It could be it though. I only remember one scene from the movie:

One of the heroes (not the John Stockwell character) is undercover, infiltrating a gang. He has an earring and wears a Dead Kennedy's T-shirt.
At one point he is fighting a guy, and the guy rips his earrring out...

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the movie I'm thinking of?

?

And no, it's not HIDING OUT.

Is it UNDER COVER (1987) directed by John Stokwell?

It sprang to mind from having the vinyl for the Todd Rundgren score.
...and, of course, it's got Jennifer Jason Leigh!

Same damn year as HIDING OUT.

...1997 had two volcano movies
...1998 needed two incoming space rock films
...and way back in 1987, Hollywood answered the call to plug the 'grownups undercover in high school film" void.
Reply
#24
For some reason I think this one was on the Disney Channel. Anyway, it's about this ordinary family that some how end in a town where the people are really robots. Oh, and they hold their guns upside-down.
Reply
#25
Quote:

Originally Posted by prizm

this one may be impossible:
early to mid 70s is when i saw this movie, but i have no idea if it is in fact older

astronauts go on a journey to i think it was mars, they discover a giant ball/orb structure..... the giant orb splits open and ends up dragging one of the astronauts inside of it and the other astronaut has to blow it up and the kidnapped astronaut ends up dying

sorry i really dont remember much about the movie, but its been 30+ years since i actually saw it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063311/

Mission Mars, starring Darren McGavin and Nick Adams.....
Reply
#26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighttrap38

For some reason I think this one was on the Disney Channel. Anyway, it's about this ordinary family that some how end in a town where the people are really robots. Oh, and they hold their guns upside-down.

Invaders from Mars?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045917/
Reply
#27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Wood


Nah, this was late-80's/early 90's. Sorry, should've included that detail.
Reply
#28
Need help with the following, should be easy:

Christmas movie, features a young boy wanting a BB gun, constantly being countered by those in the position to get said gun with "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

Just saw a horrible commerical parody of it, but it reminded me how much I loved that film.
Reply
#29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Y3k-Bug

Need help with the following, should be easy:

Christmas movie, features a young boy wanting a BB gun, constantly being countered by those in the position to get said gun with "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

Just saw a horrible commerical parody of it, but it reminded me how much I loved that film.

A Christmas Story.
Reply
#30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anderson

A Christmas Story.

I'm not sure if there is a single person alive that doesn't like this film. Osama Bin Laden likes 'A Christmas Story'.
Reply
#31
It's allright, but I've never quite understood its enormous popularity.
Reply
#32
okay, so now that we have an official thread, I can finally describe the movie that has been bugging me for years.

Here's what I remember:
- Saw it on TV in the mid-90s
- Remember it starting out pretty quiet, but becoming a horror movie towards the end.
- The main characters were two kids and their sister.
- At one point, a bunch of bugs get zapped in a bug zapper.
- A bunch of stuff in their house starts catching on fire.
- One of the boys becomes a demon, and gets a barbie doll leg jammed through his eye.
- Towards the end, the main character has an eye ball implanted in his hand. He picks up a piece of glass and is about to stab it. I'm not sure if he did or not as I was young and became too scared (I was squeamish).

Hope that's enough info.
Reply
#33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Squirrel

Here's what I remember:
- Saw it on TV in the mid-90s
- Remember it starting out pretty quiet, but becoming a horror movie towards the end.
- The main characters were two kids and their sister.
- At one point, a bunch of bugs get zapped in a bug zapper.
- A bunch of stuff in their house starts catching on fire.
- One of the boys becomes a demon, and gets a barbie doll leg jammed through his eye.
- Towards the end, the main character has an eye ball implanted in his hand. He picks up a piece of glass and is about to stab it. I'm not sure if he did or not as I was young and became too scared (I was squeamish).

Hope that's enough info.

The Gate.
Reply
#34
Quote:

Originally Posted by soylentgreen

Is it UNDER COVER (1987) directed by John Stokwell?

It sprang to mind from having the vinyl for the Todd Rundgren score.
...and, of course, it's got Jennifer Jason Leigh!

Same damn year as HIDING OUT.

...1997 had two volcano movies
...1998 needed two incoming space rock films
...and way back in 1987, Hollywood answered the call to plug the 'grownups undercover in high school film" void.

? I can't say. That was later than what I was thinking (87 vs 84-85) but I could be wrong.
Has anyone seen UNDER COVER? And does it have a scene of an under cover cop/agent in a DK t-shirt getting his earring pulled out? That's all I got!

(Thanks for the info!)
Reply
#35
Is the John Stockwell movie Radioactive Dreams? Post-apocalyptic dudes acting like '40s private eyes? Disco zombies? Dudikoff?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)