Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Definitive "Help Me Figure Out The Name Of A Movie I Can't Remember" Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighttrap38

Got another difficult one. From the mid-to-late 80's. Guy's girlfriend goes to a place in Florida(I think), comes back as some killer cyborg underneath. He kills her and tries to find out what happened. Meets up with a woman who helps him but when she takes him back to her family it turns out she and her family are cyborgs too. Not sure about the rest of it but the cyborgs are distinguished in that they can't eat food and there's a scene where a cyborg boy drives a bulldozer through a barn.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090649/

Found it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GungaDin

Okay, I swear to God I saw this growing up on television, maybe late 80s or early 90s.

It's a rock musical about present day Joseph and Mary having Baby Jesus in the back of a truck, and they travel across the night desert stalked by Satan, who turns all their followers into sheep. What... The... Fuck?!!!!!!

...erm...isn't that the standard 'Nativity'?

I'm sure I remember being 'The Voice of the Dark-One' at the Pageant of my kindergarten... mind you, I WAS only 4 at the time, so things could be a tad confused...

So, you have a problem with sheep??
There was a movie in the early 80s, I think. I remember a scene where the hero led his team into some sort of battle where they flew their motorcycles out of an airplane. I think the lead actor looked like Chuck Norris, but I don't think it was him.

Someone help me out here, please.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy Jankis

There was a movie in the early 80s, I think. I remember a scene where the hero led his team into some sort of battle where they flew their motorcycles out of an airplane. I think the lead actor looked like Chuck Norris, but I don't think it was him.

Someone help me out here, please.

Sounds like Megaforce. Believe me, you don't want to dig this one back up.
Okay, here's mine...

Late 70's (possibly 1978), drive-in movie that was the second movie with Halloween (hence the 1978) so it should be a horror film. I was four and supposed to be sleeping in the back of my parents station wagon (they couldn't afford a baby sitter - plus it was the 70's and they were really young). I only saw the first few minutes, then got so scared I ducked under a blanket and fell asleep (I hope). I'm not even sure if this is a real memory (my parents think the movie is real - but don't remember - damn 70's).

Anyway... Here is what I know (I'm pretty sure it's the beginning):

A guy is driving a beat up car down a dirt road. The car breaks down and after trying to fix it, he starts walking and is carrying a crowbar (I think). He gets to an abandoned house, but goes in the door anyway. The house is in good shape (i..e not condemned) but empty. As he look around, he notices there are several mannequins around. He walks upstairs and opens a closet to find another mannequin. He hears a noise, turns around and there is a mannequin standing behind him.

That's where I puss out and duck under the covers. Like I said, I may have made this all up, but my dad sort of remembering this movie makes me think it's real.

Anybody?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Fischer

Sounds like Megaforce. Believe me, you don't want to dig this one back up.

That's it. I knew force was in there, but I kept thinking Delta Force, and I knew that was wrong. Thanks, man.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wehman

A guy is driving a beat up car down a dirt road. The car breaks down and after trying to fix it, he starts walking and is carrying a crowbar (I think). He gets to an abandoned house, but goes in the door anyway. The house is in good shape (i..e not condemned) but empty. As he look around, he notices there are several mannequins around. He walks upstairs and opens a closet to find another mannequin. He hears a noise, turns around and there is a mannequin standing behind him.

Anybody?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but that sounds like Tourist Trap.
Quote:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but that sounds like Tourist Trap.

That's definitely Tourist Trap.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty

That's definitely Tourist Trap.

Well, I'm gonna have to rent that one. This damn movie has bugged me for over twenty years. I have to see that first seen again. I hope that's it.
Not a movie, but not worth starting a thread.

I am trying to find a horrifying commercial I used to see as a kid. A woman is holding a pic of herself in front of her head, so you can't see her face. She's talking about how her husband smoked in bed all the time. She says he fell asleep and the bed caught fire. He died. Then she takes the pic away, revealing a horribly burned face. "I guess you could say I was the lucky one."

Does anyone remember this, or know where I can find it online?
Quote:

Originally Posted by 70sCinema

Not a movie, but not worth starting a thread.

I am trying to find a horrifying commercial I used to see as a kid. A woman is holding a pic of herself in front of her head, so you can't see her face. She's talking about how her husband smoked in bed all the time. She says he fell asleep and the bed caught fire. He died. Then she takes the pic away, revealing a horribly burned face. "I guess you could say I was the lucky one."

Does anyone remember this, or know where I can find it online?

Wow, that's horrific. I don't remember that one. You were a kid around what year? Definitely sounds like a public service announcement....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Vivisector,

Wow, that's horrific. I don't remember that one. You were a kid around what year? Definitely sounds like a public service announcement....

Searching google brought this up....

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2263
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Wehman

Well, I'm gonna have to rent that one. This damn movie has bugged me for over twenty years. I have to see that first seen again. I hope that's it.

Definitely worth a rental.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Vivisector,

Searching google brought this up....

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2263

Yes! Someone else remembers. That thread brought back some other memories as well, but a lot of them seem from the 80s; pretty sure this ad was 70s.

I don't remember the year I saw the burned lady. Damn it, what good is the internet if there isn't a clip of it somewhere?
This has been driving me nuts for a while now. Several years ago I caught part of a film based on the 1882 Tiszaeszlar Blood Libel case in Hungary. Involved Jews being accused in the ritualistic murder of a young Christian girl. I thought the film was called "The River" but only the Renoir masterpiece comes up under that name.

Anyone ever heard of a film based on this?
Quote:

Originally Posted by RABBIT55

This has been driving me nuts for a while now. Several years ago I caught part of a film based on the 1882 Tiszaeszlar Blood Libel case in Hungary. Involved Jews being accused in the ritualistic murder of a young Christian girl. I thought the film was called "The River" but only the Renoir masterpiece comes up under that name.

I feel as if I've definitely seen this, but the name is nowhere in my head. Thanks. Now it'll drive me nuts, too.
I know the feeling. Really bizarre when you know you've seen something and yet can't find any evidence anywhere that it exists.
This one has driven me nuts for years. It may not be a movie.

I remember it being a cartoon, and it had a scene that I recall taking place underground (maybe a drain pipe..?), and there was a canned food or bottle label that depicted someone (I think it was a cat..?) holding up the exact same item/label. The camera zoomed in, and what you saw was the same picture appearing over and over again into infinity. It seemed freaky at the time. I have no idea whether I just dreamed the whole thing.

Not much to go on, but the collective CHUD intelligence bank never fails to amaze.
isn't that from An American Tail?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahoatam

isn't that from An American Tail?

I have no idea, but I hope you're right. This has been bugging me forever. Oddly enough, I don't remember ever watching that movie...
Well if it makes you feel better, now I have a vague recollection of an infinite can label thing. I've seen it too, just can't remember exactly where.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RABBIT55

I did some internet searching and came up with "Memories of a River", or the original title "Tutajosok". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098537/
Jexxon, you're genius thank you. That's it!!
First of all, can we get a sticky on this thread? It's damnably hard to find, which sort of defeats the purpose of creating a unified thread for the subject.

So, the movie I'm looking for:

My dad saw this long ago, so it's got to be a pretty old movie, maybe from the forties or fifties. It involves a man who manages to trap the Grim Reaper in a tree, which puts the world in a tizzy, as nobody can die while Death is trapped.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031754/
I knew somebody here would pull that out. My father thanks you.
This one has been driving me nuts for years now. The film was from the late 70's or early 80's and started with this scientist doing some experiment where he zaps everyone on earth except for himself (and people that died at the exact moment the dimensional switch happened- thus a black dude, a women and some other character are also still on earth) into another dimension. I think the ending had him running the experiment again and zapping himself and the girl into a paradise dimension.
Not a black dude, a Maori dude. The Quiet Earth, New Zealand, 1985. Haven't watched that in forever.
Awesome. Thanks a lot, Hammerhead.
I remember seeing about 5 minutes of a film when I was a kid that I always thought was Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Having just watched that, I was wrong.

From what I remember it's a black and white film and there's a family in a house, something strange happens, so the dad goes to investigate over the hill. He comes back and he's got 3 dots on his neck and the kid freaks out. Then I think the dots on the neck thing happens to other people as well.

That's all I can remember about it, but I think I was only about 7 when i saw it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate K

I remember seeing about 5 minutes of a film when I was a kid that I always thought was Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Having just watched that, I was wrong.

From what I remember it's a black and white film and there's a family in a house, something strange happens, so the dad goes to investigate over the hill. He comes back and he's got 3 dots on his neck and the kid freaks out. Then I think the dots on the neck thing happens to other people as well.

That's all I can remember about it, but I think I was only about 7 when i saw it.

Sounds like the original Invaders from Mars.....
Yeah, it definitely sounds like Invaders from Mars.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8

Details I remember: Protagonist (a kid I believe) is running around at night and hiding from a woman statue that has come to life. I believe it may take place at a cottage or in a garden...

I've got this one- it's Sharon Stone in "Gloria".
I've got one that's been bugging me for years. Bunch of mountain climbers attacked by a monster. At one point, it crushes one of them and sends the other one flying down the mountain (if I recall correctly by snapping his cord). The movie ends with just a woman and a hunter hero type thinking they killed the monster but it then kills both of them. We then hear the sound of a baby monster being born in a cave. My recollection may be a little off, it's probably been about 12 years since I've seen the movie and I only saw it once. It wasn't a particulary good film but I've always wondered the name.

Another one is an old Ultraman movie. A father comes home from a business trip and the son wants to know what he brought him. The dad ends up getting him an Ultraman doll and he has a whole bunch of dreams about Ultraman fighting monsters (similiar to "Godzilla's Revenge", I guess.) Was never a big Ultraman fan but I'd like to look this one up for nostaliga sake. Sadly, there are so many Ultraman movies, I have no idea which one this is.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy Jim

I've got one that's been bugging me for years. Bunch of mountain climbers attacked by a monster. At one point, it crushes one of them and sends the other one flying down the mountain (if I recall correctly by snapping his cord). The movie ends with just a woman and a hunter hero type thinking they killed the monster but it then kills both of them. We then hear the sound of a baby monster being born in a cave. My recollection may be a little off, it's probably been about 12 years since I've seen the movie and I only saw it once. It wasn't a particulary good film but I've always wondered the name.

The bit with the baby monster makes me think of Prophecy (with Talia Shire, not Christopher Walken).