Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daredevil discussion
I liked it, didn't love it. It has its weaknesses, like some horrendous dialogue and muddy fight scenes (I still say some of that was intentional, but I'm probably justifying it to myself). Overall though, I thought it was a solid entry in the superhero genre.

The performances were strong all around, especially Affleck and Garner. While there was a lot happening in 90 minutes, I don't think your average moviegoer will have any trouble following what's going on. I didn't get too emotionally wrapped up in any of the characters, I wasn't looking for a heavy tearjerker, either.

It's not a great leap forward, but I think it's an enjoyable film with a lot going for it. 7/10.
The missing half hour had Coolio in it. Maybe this 90 minute cut is a good thing.
I certainly didn't hate it, and there were some inspired moments for sure, but I wouldn't call it a good movie. There are just too many missteps. And it's frustrating watching it because, like I said, there are some inspired scenes. I thought the cast worked pretty well, so that wasn't the problem. But the soundtrack was a major problem for me. The movie couldn't go five minutes without introducing a new rrrrrock song from the soundtrack. Also, there were too many unintentionally funny moments. For example, pay attention to the actress on DD's answering machine. Hilarious. Just some bad choices by the director, made worse by the nuggets of goodness on display throughout.
Tough crowd. I left my baggage at the door. I'm a "half full glass" guy. Like I said in another DD thread, the studio isn't going to be concerned with pleasing comic fans. ever.... That sucks, but oh well. That goes for almost every adapted work.
I can accept that sometimes, sometimes not.

It WAS rushed, but there are great violent moments throughout. I loved the barfight. Disorienting on purpose. DD above it all. Quick cuts didn't bother me. It was like a strobelight. Loved the Kingpin. Loved the final fight. Loved Favreau. Loved Favreau. For me, Elektra and Bullseye were definitely mishandled, but not ruined. I bought Affleck. Tougher than Tobey. Weary like Keaton in Batman2. The romance needed a big push (when does it not?). It has plenty of muscle and grime, which is what I wanted.
The more I thought about it, I do want to see it again. And KM is right about the girl on the answering machine...I swear she kept going in and out of an English accent throughout the hour-long message she leaves. It sounded like multiple messages spliced together. I'm not down on the picture, though. I tend to analyze or critique a film nowadays the first time I see it (moreso when I'm at the theater than watching it on DVD), then really enjoy it more the 2nd time...I guess my time here at CHUD has contributed to that a bit.
Having never read the comic, I didn't have a pre-conceived notions outside of the fact that Jennifer Garner is freakin' hot.

As for the movie...well, it didn't do much for me. As comic movies go, it ranks well below the recent entries such as Blade or XMen.

Garner was hot (wait, did I mention that already?) and Farrel did a good job w/limited time onscreen. Affleck was OK and Favreau had a few good lines. Duncan's role was a waste of time.
The fact that the hyper-critical film geeks on this board are pretty much saying "It's a pretty good flick" means that the average Joe is probably gonna shit their pants when they see this thing.
look. i thought this was going to suck, and suck like things rarely do suck. i had told myself that i probably wouldn't waste my time unless i managed to catch it for free. and thanks to nick, i did.

and damn, was i wrong. i loved it. i loved it almost as much or more than spider-man, and that's pretty high praise.

no, it wasn't perfect, but let's compare what we saw last night to some choice attempts in the last ten years or so. <a href="http://"http://us.imdb.com/Title?0196876"" target="_blank">the punisher</a>? please. <a href="http://"http://us.imdb.com/Title?0119781"" target="_blank">nick fury</a>? a scar and a stogie cannot turn a hasselhoff into an agent of s.h.i.e.l.d.

we are in the midst of a renaissance in comic-to-film production. sure, i could nitpick for days, but i'd rather have this affleck daredevil than say...

a <a href="http://"http://us.imdb.com/Title?0098512"" target="_blank">rex smith daredevil</a>.
Quote:

4496 aka Joe Sixpack:
The fact that the hyper-critical film geeks on this board are pretty much saying "It's a pretty good flick" means that the average Joe is probably gonna shit their pants when they see this thing.

Audience full of regular joes last night, and they were pretty indifferent.
Not really. Most of the folks I saw leaving seemed more stunned by the degree of violence. One older man said, "That's not your father's Daredevil." Big old cliche. But it's likely many folks expecting the same old superhero antics will be a bit suprised at how adult it is. Not a kid's movie at all.
Quote:

DFJ:
Not really.

Did you perceive ANY reaction from that audience? Other than laughing (deservedly) at Favreau's quips, they were pretty much silent and there were a small handful of walkouts early on, too.

I'm not saying that bodes badly for the box office because one audience doesn't necessarily represent some, most, or all audiences, BUT this particular audience last night seemed pretty dead. The X2 trailer got applause and excited murmurs. Comparatively speaking, Daredevil got little to nothing.
Hey, there was some clapping going on after the movie ended. Not entirely sure if people clapped because they liked the movie, of if they clapped because they liked that the movie was over.
I think this flick will open well but won't have legs...
Quote:

for flyers by flyers:
I think this flick will open well but won't have legs...

My thoughts exactly. "Tomb Raider"/"Planet of the Apes"-style.
Yeah...I remember hearing a mild applause at the end too....I think most people that go to see this will probably enjoy it.
Quote:

mikah912:
and there were a small handful of walkouts early on, too.

Those were just the folks trying to beat traffic to the fabulous Ryan Murphy's place. You know, beat the rush, the fruit is sweeter when it's ripe, all that...
As a person familliar with (but not devoted to) the comic I was hoping that the movie would be better than the posts (so far) have lead me to believe.

Moriarty's review over at AICN had me pumped, but the indifference from the ATL Chewers I know makes me think I'll save my (sparse) movie-going chances for something else. Though right now I'm re-reading Millers Visionaries, Vol 2, so who knows.

Looks like they tried to cram too much into a 90 minute movie.

Thanks again for the ticket Nick. Sorry I had to bail.
I dunno. I just saw Full Frontal the yesterday, the only reason I missed it in theatres is because of the mixed to awful opinons on Chud. I will never make that mistake again. Great movie.
So you will no longer let people make up your mind for you? Congrats on making the big step.
In the case of Full Frontal, I really just could not develop interest in it despite my love for Soderbergh. The opinions of Chewers "confirmed" my suspicions.
Quote:

Sean Bateman, Samurai Journalist:
In the case of Full Frontal, I really just could not develop interest in it despite my love for Soderbergh. The opinions of Chewers "confirmed" my suspicions.

Uhh...so you'll just sway wherever majority opinion takes you?
Quote:

mikah912:
Uhh...so you'll just sway wherever majority opinion takes you?

I like to think I've read enough of your reviews to help me gauge a potential movie-going experience. Was that not your intent?
Rob - we're making fun of Sean, not you! Anyway, getting back to 'Daredevil'...for a blind guy, he sure could see pretty well. Actually, do they ever try to represet in the comic book what he "sees", from his pov?
Damnit, Rob. No, as Justin said, just joking with Sean.

The comic book does his "vision" differently. It usually draws circular "sonar" waves going outward, and that represents his vision. The first-person perspective is new for the movie.

I loved the first couple of scenes they used it in, but boy did they run that gimmick into the ground.
There's no way I won't go and see this, because I'm a pathetic Marvel junkie, but as both X-Men 2 and Hulk look fantastic, I can live with Daredevil being merely OK. Shame it could've been more, but my expectations are low enough for me not be too disappointed.
Yeah, his "seeing" felt weird. They should have left it to our imagination.

Sort of reminded me of The Natural Swing in Legend of Bagger Vance.
"The Legend of Bagger Vance", eh? I avoided that one because CHUD was negative about it.
You bastard, at least go into with your mind already made up from the CHUD thread and then come back and post how much you hate it...
Quote:

mikah912:
Damnit, Rob. No, as Justin said, just joking with Sean.

Sorry guys. Sometimes I don't see so well.

Edited 'cause I fucked up the quote.

Quote:

Dan Whitehead:
Hulk look fantastic

Let's save that inevitable argument for another day.
In the comics, Daredevil's radar sense isn't always consistent, and writers for DD do not always share the same interpretation for his ability. In some ways, Daredevil can "see" better than normal human beings, since he take all the informations he gathered using his heightened senses like hear, smell, and touch to composite the environment around him. However, there are some stories where Daredevil could detect even the smallest discrepancy that no one could sense. There's a story from Secret War where the fate of the galaxy was on the brink of destruction due to a cosmic being who wanted total annihilation, and Daredevil decided to challenge him to a game of coin toss. Daredevil saved the universe by sensing what side the coin will turn up when the coin was flipped, using his radar sense. The movie has its own interpretation, and from what I've seen thus far, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

So you've seen the film too? I didn't see your thoughts on it in this thread.
Quote:

Man Without Fear:
There's a story from Secret War where the fate of the galaxy was on the brink of destruction due to a cosmic being who wanted total annihilation, and Daredevil decided to challenge him to a game of coin toss. Daredevil saved the universe by sensing what side the coin will turn up when the coin was flipped, using his radar sense.

That fucking cheat!
Quote:

Man Without Fear:
In the comics, Daredevil's radar sense isn't always consistent, and writers for DD do not always share the same interpretation for his ability. In some ways, Daredevil can "see" better than normal human beings, since he take all the informations he gathered using his heightened senses like hear, smell, and touch to composite the environment around him. However, there are some stories where Daredevil could detect even the smallest discrepancy that no one could sense. There's a story from Secret War where the fate of the galaxy was on the brink of destruction due to a cosmic being who wanted total annihilation, and Daredevil decided to challenge him to a game of coin toss. Daredevil saved the universe by sensing what side the coin will turn up when the coin was flipped, using his radar sense. The movie has its own interpretation, and from what I've seen thus far, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

That's all very nice, but we're talking about the OVERUSE of this perspective in the film.

There were moments when I felt like I was watching someone play Metroid Prime because so much (waaaay too much) screentime was from that skewed, "radar-sense" perspective.
fett - that was inspired. Really made me laugh.