Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daredevil discussion
I think after seeing it, most people will wonder why Daredevil didn't just strap a spray bottle to his utility belt.
Quote:

DFJ:
No "us." Just one.

I've been really looking forward to this for a long while but had several reservations from casting to the director's qualifications. Even Garner, who I am a fan of, seemed slightly off in some weird way. Too white bred. It was nice to see those notions dispelled. Even Affleck, whose films I avoid, was surprisingly good.

Semantic games aside — opion, agenda, and who really feels like playing these — the point is moot. Bottom line: when one is geared up to hate something, there's a good chance one will.

Same for liking it. Again, where's the reprimands for these miscreants?

If you think I went in with a view to a kill, whatever. Nothing I say will convince you otherwise, and I wore this disc out with another major geek film, so pardon me for hitting the forward button and getting to the next track (assuming that there is one).

I'm one of those crazy guys that would rather discuss and debate the points of a film rather than the talking about the other guy discussing and debating the points of the film with me.

I've detailed why I feel the way I do about this film, and it has nothing to do with "an agenda." Believe that as the truth or don't. Your choice.
Quote:

DFJ:
No "us." Just one.

I've been really looking forward to this for a long while but had several reservations from casting to the director's qualifications. Even Garner, who I am a fan of, seemed slightly off in some weird way. Too white bred. It was nice to see those notions dispelled. Even Affleck, whose films I avoid, was surprisingly good.

Semantic games aside — opion, agenda, and who really feels like playing these — the point is moot. Bottom line when one is geared up to hate something, there's a good chance one will.

There is also a good chance they won't hate it, people love to be pleasently suprised. I really don't think some of the posters who have panned this film, disliked it because they were set on not liking the film. Contrary to popular belief, divergence in human opinion can occur.
I just really hope we share the same opinion after I see it.
Wait...people actually liked this film?
Quiet, you.
Justin,

you weird brand of humor never fails to crack a hearty chuckle out of me.

Keep up the good work, son!
Quote:

Kevin Matchstick:
I think after seeing it, most people will wonder why Daredevil didn't just strap a spray bottle to his utility belt.

Ha!

Daredevil... Indian name: Waits-For-Rain-To-Flirt.
Quote:

mikah912:
You're confusing an agenda with an opinion.
An agenda is when I set out to do a specific thing, such as hating Daredevil regardless of the actual quality of the film as perceived by me.

Yeah, that space is reserved for Lord Of The Rings, which is utter crap.

*ducks*
Why can't we all just get a bong...uh...along?
Quote:

Dennis:
So you've seen the film too? I didn't see your thoughts on it in this thread.

No, I haven't seen the movie yet (probably on Thursday night I will do so). I'm just bringing up a point to explain that there are different interpretations of Daredevil's radar sense in the comics. Though I haven't seen Daredevil, I saw enough clips of the movie to get a good idea how the radar sense is represented. Once I saw the movie I will comment about it here.

I really liked the radar sense. It was used alot and i can see why some think it was used too much, but it didn't bother me at all.

There is the idea floating around that the film was forcibly trimmed to 90 minutes to get in more showings. This is not true. There is no difference for a studio in the number of showings per day for a 90 minute film and a 2 hour film. Both these formats fit into traditional exhibition showtimes. Almost ALL director's cuts run in the 2.5-plus range and are ultimatly trimmed. If it was trimmed from 2 hours to 90 minutes, it's because test audiences were restless in the 2 hour version. Since there is a 90-plus million dollar investment in this film, you can be sure the studio would advocate which ever version tested better.
Now, there was something about the film that confused me, maybe someone here knows the answer...

SPOILER ....

SPOILER ....

It is said late in the film that when Kingpin kills someone, he doesn't just kill them, he kills their whole family. I couldn't understand why after killing DD's father, he didn't then kill the boy (DD). And then I kind of thought he killed Electra's father because he wanted out of their business arrangement - but it was implied that Kingpin had killed his wife (Electra's mother) some time before. Wouldn't he have killed Electra and her father back then (since they were her extended family)? Or is there a delay-effect of a couple months or years or more between the initial killing and the killing of other family members? But then, after killing Electra's father, Kingpin immediately went after Electra. It didn't seem like there was a delay effect in that particular instance. Or could it be random? Some people's extended family's get killed right away while others can be any amount of time later (I'm assuming that Kingpin was still planning to kill DD even though it's a couple decades later) I was just confused about this ... any help? I know I missed something.
Quote:

Ludwig Van:
There is the idea floating around that the film was forcibly trimmed to 90 minutes to get in more showings. This is not true. There is no difference for a studio in the number of showings per day for a 90 minute film and a 2 hour film. Both these formats fit into traditional exhibition showtimes. Almost ALL director's cuts run in the 2.5-plus range and are ultimatly trimmed. If it was trimmed from 2 hours to 90 minutes, it's because test audiences were restless in the 2 hour version. Since there is a 90-plus million dollar investment in this film, you can be sure the studio would advocate which ever version tested better.

</strong>

Kurt, you have more than enough cred around here so that I don't doubt you lightly. But from what I HEARD or read or what have you, Johnson didn't want to cut anything from the 2.5 hour cut, and that cut would most certainly have put it out of the traditional exhibitor range you speak of.

If that wasn't the case and Johnson thinks that current cut of that film is in any way complete or sensible or fully reflective of his vision, then my problems lay solely with him.

Quote:

SPOILER ....

SPOILER ....

It is said late in the film that when Kingpin kills someone, he doesn't just kill them, he kills their whole family. I couldn't understand why after killing DD's father, he didn't then kill the boy (DD). And then I kind of thought he killed Electra's father because he wanted out of their business arrangement - but it was implied that Kingpin had killed his wife (Electra's mother) some time before. Wouldn't he have killed Electra and her father back then (since they were her extended family)? Or is there a delay-effect of a couple months or years or more between the initial killing and the killing of other family members? But then, after killing Electra's father, Kingpin immediately went after Electra. It didn't seem like there was a delay effect in that particular instance. Or could it be random? Some people's extended family's get killed right away while others can be any amount of time later (I'm assuming that Kingpin was still planning to kill DD even though it's a couple decades later) I was just confused about this ... any help? I know I missed something.

Just ONE of the logical holes in that film, Kurt.

I'll go into more after the film is released.
Criminals... They have more than enough drive, ambition, malice, and cunning to go around. But you start looking for consistency...

A theory I could offer up is that the adage about him killing the whole family was apocryphal, he just wanted to kill this family.

SPOILER....

Actually, I just thought of this... The Kingpin didn't kill Jack Murdock, his boss(Fallon?) did. At the time, he probably didn't have enough underworld power (street cred) to off the whole family, drawing unnecessary attention to the crime itself. He must've developed this streak after he became the leader of the crime family. I'm assuming that he wasn't always called "The Kingpin". Although, with a name like "The Kingpin", he really only had two vocational options. Run a seedy underworld syndicate carrying out most of the criminal activity or a bowling alley owner.

Further, did anyone else realize that they got rid of the character, "Stick"? He was a great character, but I can understand trying to fit in one more origin in there. &lt;For those not familiar, Stick was a blind man who taught Matt to fight, run, jump, etc... while overcoming his blindness. See The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller...&gt;

&lt;&lt;Edited for St. Typo's sake&gt;&gt;

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but be sure to stay through the first part of the credits for an additional scene. Similar to what Harry Potter did for Lockhart.

<a href="http://www.tnmc.org/ind/daredevil.shtml" target="_blank">Here's my review for Daredevil for anyone interested.</a>
Wonder what they've been smoking over at AICN.
Yeah...Daredevil being close to "perfect"? Please. It's not even that close to Daredevil, the comic.

Nothing being implied here, but I find it interesting that all of their "official" reviewers are riding this film's jockstrap.

Quote:

Kevin Matchstick:
Wonder what they've been smoking over at AICN.

Have you seen Harry's picture? That, my friend, is a munchie gut.

The addicts chase it with Drug-Crazed Abandon!

Women cry for it. Men die for it.

No one escapes the REEFER MADNESS
Quote:

nofate:
I find it interesting that it seems the only ones who hate it are the ones who hated it before it came out.

Hate's a rather strong word. How about underwhelmed? I haven't seen it yet, but that's how I feel right now.
Didn't hate it before it came out, don't hate it now. However, it's not a very good movie, unfortunately. Also, nofate, wonder what you'll think of the movie when you see it. Hmm...such a mystery.
Ooh, Ooh, I know, pick me, pick me.
Quote:

nofate:
I find it interesting that it seems the only ones who hate it are the ones who hated it before it came out.

I happen to find it interesting that people dismiss the film-specific (as in, I could only have realized these problems existed once I saw the film, not from looking at the trailer or just making my mind up beforehand) criticism I've made thus far and attribute my dissatisfaction to "wanting to hate it."

I also find it interesting that you're ignoring that even people who LIKED the movie agreed with me on many points (the rushed feel, muddy/incomprehensible fights, bad music, excessively corny dialogue).

It's sad that you're just trying to invalidate my criticism rather than engaging it directly.

And that, son, is how the battle was won.
This thread is nothing but:

2 guys who don't like it vs. the rest of the thread that said it was decent.

Nick, Harry Knowles, and Moriarty all liked it quite a bit. I guess the masses will cast their vote this weekend. Seeing it Saturday night myself.

Quote:

4496 aka Joe Sixpack:

A slight correction: Two guys who didn't like it versus two people who've had nothing but praise for the film and refuse to accept that we didn't like it because we made up our minds only AFTER seeing the film and giving it a fair shot.

This thread is full of faint praise, 6.5/10 scores, and ho-humness from plenty of other people, yet only OUR particular dissatisfaction comes from prejudice/agenda/whatever BS accusation they're throwing at us.

Nick, Harry, Moriarty liking it is fine with me. It could have a 100 percent score on RottenTomatoes. I still wouldn't care.

I think it's a mess. I don't care if anyone else heeds what I say. That's not why I give my opinion.

But for the record, it's being shat upon on RottenTomatoes.com.
Quote:

4496 aka Joe Sixpack:

Nick, Harry Knowles, and Moriarty all liked it quite a bit. I guess the masses will cast their vote this weekend. Seeing it Saturday night myself.

Would you prefer that the thread be accessed only by those that liked the film?

I wouldn't care if my mother loved it, I still didn't like it and having a thousand other people tell me how much they liked it won't change that.

And if you plan to see it yourself why does it matter to you what Nick, Harry, and Moriarty thought? Does that somehow influence your experience?
My review: <a href="http://www.chud.com/reviews/dd.php3" target="_blank">http://www.chud.com/reviews/dd.php3</a>
Very nice review. I agreed with a lot of your points, and indeed I'd take Daredevil - crap as it is - over every Batman film except for Batman Forever and every Crow film except for the first one.

Interesting review score, too.
Yes, very good review.

I remember reading a bunch of stuff about some special film treatment that was used to make Daredevil red really stand out. The commercials and trailers I've seen haven't really convinced me that anything was done. Was anything like that noticeable in the theatre?
Nice review, Nick. Pretty much nailed my feelings on the film.
Thanks guys. Was a bitch to write. It was too long as it is, but it's a film I've waited for just as long as Spidey.
Thanks for the review, Nick. That was very comprehensive and though I still haven't seen the movie yet, it's almost like watching the movie from reading your review.
Except without spoilers!
Quote:

Nick Nunziata:
Thanks guys. Was a bitch to write. It was too long as it is, but it's a film I've waited for just as long as Spidey.

I'm glad you weren't that disappointed with the movie and it appears that you do enjoy portions of the movie, although it is a shame that you didn't enjoy it as much as Spider-man.
A good and fair review Nunz.

And I liked Howard the Duck.