Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CHUD NUMBERS: Box Office Discussion Thread
(12-23-2019, 12:31 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 11:42 AM)first class 782 Wrote: I don’t think their number includes Thursday showings.

The Friday number usually includes the Thursday previews.

This dropped 47% from Friday to Saturday.  That ... that's not good.

It's good for me.  When I see it in a few days the theater is likely not going to be overcrowded.
RIP Star Wars

1977 - 2019
(12-23-2019, 02:18 PM)bradito Wrote: RIP Star Wars

1977 - 2019

I look forward to years of pointless fan bickering over if the fault lies more with RJ, JJ, or KK.
It's my fault.
(12-23-2019, 02:20 PM)bailey Wrote:

1977 - 2019

I look forward to years of pointless fan bickering over if the fault lies more with RJ, JJ, or KK.

Not RJ.  For all of my issues with the plot of TLJ, he delivered a well made movie that felt like a SW film. 

I blame KK for not ensuring a consistent throughline for the trilogy and approving RJ's script when it obviously ran counter to what the long term plans for the trilogy were (assuming that there were long term plans).
I blame JJ for not understanding how a SW film should look and feel.
I blame Mitch McConnell and the Republicans in the Senate.

1977 - 1983 - 1999 - 2005 - 2019

FTFY
Just this guy, you know?
You missed 2002. Man, AOTC sucked.
I'm not Avery.
(12-23-2019, 02:56 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote:

1977 - 1983 - 1999 - 2005 - 2019

FTFY

It has more lives than Palpatine!!
Forbes is saying that the optimistic projection for Cats final gross is around $40 million domestic.
(12-28-2019, 02:34 PM)JMurdoch Wrote: Forbes is saying that the optimistic projection for Cats final gross is around $40 million domestic.

Was it Mendelsohn, that hack!

[Image: 256.jpg]

"I'll never tell!"
A breakdown on how the Studios did in 2019.
https://deadline.com/2019/12/2019-domest...202818133/
Looking like a good haul for BAD BOYS FOR LIFE so far. Deadline saying it'll be in the Mid-60's for now through Monday. Second biggest MLK day weekend after AMERICAN SNIPER.
Dolittle is going to be a bomb of epic proportions, two or three times worse than Cats. Universal has had a bad year. Meanwhile, guys like Shane Carruth are leaving the industry because they can't get a few million dollars from studios to make films.

**TROS has now fallen behind Rogue One's pace.

Dolittle cost over twice what Bad Boys 3 did. I cant even fathom how that is possible.
(01-17-2020, 07:19 PM)Overlord Wrote: Meanwhile, guys like Shane Carruth are leaving the industry because they can't get a few million dollars from studios to make films.  

perhaps HE should've made DOLITTLE!
Having budgeted short film projects of my own, I have a pretty good idea why these blockbuster movies have astronomical budgets. Everything costs too damn much.

To wit:

If you're casting a name actor, you need to pay his fee, which is not insignificant. Then, if you're filming on location, he needs to be flown first class and put up in a nice hotel during the shoot. You also need to pay for his assistant(s), hair and makeup people, personal trainer, dietician, security, driver, etc. He's also going to collect a per diem in the thousands of dollars each day and require a large trailer for when he's not needed on set. Now multiply that by all the name actors in your film that aren't local hires.

Crew members are less high maintenance, but still belong to unions that have specific work requirements. If you go into overtime, their pay increases significantly. They also need to be fed and housed while filming on location. You can use local hires for less vital positions, but your cinematographer and his assistants are probably flying in from L.A., Vancouver or London.

Location filming also requires you to pay fees for rental of the space, permits from the city that ain't free, and off-duty cops to make sure your grip trucks aren't stolen. And cops when they're off-duty want to be paid handsomely even when they're glorified security guards.

Speaking of grip trucks, equipment rentals are always cheaper than buying all that gear, but they're still expensive as hell; you needs lights, C-stands, stingers, barn doors, etc. Camera packages, lenses, dollies, cranes, Steadicams -- these don't come cheap either, believe it or not.

Post-production doesn't have to be done on location, but you still have to hire an editor, composer, FX house or houses. And if you need to do reshoots, they're not free, either.

Anyway, showbiz sux.
All of China's Chinese New Year releases have been postponed indefinitely due to the outbreak.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/chinese-new...202838847/
TROS now has a better multiplier than TLJ.

aw, good for risewalker! it needed a win!
(01-25-2020, 06:31 PM)Overlord Wrote: TROS now has a better multiplier than TLJ.

Doesn't deserve it. Sends Disney the wrong message.
Domestically, TROS is now 102.7M behind TLJ and 10.8M behind RO on a "day after release" basis. TROS is in danger of not beating Rogue One WW (TLJ hundreds of millions out of reach).

I think TROS not beating out Rogue One was well below any reasonable "worst case" scenario contemplated pre-release by Disney or its sycophant media shills. Maybe Disney will leave it in the theaters for a while to try to squeak by Rogue One.

Jumanji, Last Christmas, Knives Out, and a bunch of other movies have shown some remarkable legs over the last few months.

Blake Lively's The Rhythm Section flopping hard.
Perhaps not the best weekend to weave a yarn about a woman whose family is wiped out in a horrific aerial disaster.
Cinema attendance here in Asia have really been hit badly by the virus scare.

Saw UNDERWATER today, i was only one of five people in the entire theater. So much legroom and the movie wasn't bad as well.
(02-01-2020, 05:17 AM)Felix Wrote: Blake Lively's The Rhythm Section flopping hard.

No surprise. It’s marketing was almost nonexistent, which is strange for such a wide release. Wondering what the studio politics and backstabbing was behind this.
That title can't be doing it any favors.
Just this guy, you know?
oooh the sequel to WHIPLASH!
They spent 50 million plus on Rhythm Section?!?!?!

Goddamn.

(02-01-2020, 05:43 AM)Felix Wrote: Cinema attendance here in Asia have really been hit badly by the virus scare.

And not just where you are. The cancellation/delay of your New Year movies meant they couldn't play anywhere else either, and here in Berkeley we had to pull Detective Chinatown 3 at almost literally the last minute.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Birds of Prey under performing at 33 million this weekend.

It's an interesting film. Certainly doesn't deserve to flop.
That’s too bad. You can probably lay it at the feet of the neckbeards. You need them on your side for an R rated superhero movie.

That said, this has always been one of the smaller budgeted affairs, right? They can’t all be Joker (beloved by neckbeards).
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
A shame on Birds of Prey.  Despite having an "in name only" version of a particular character I'm a fan of, I ended up rather liking it and would definitely be interested in seeing a sequel.  Not great, but definitely entertaining.

I noticed they didn't seem to push this nearly as hard as other DC films though, marketing wise.
I'm assuming you don't mean Harley? Black Mask? Zsaz? One of the Birds?