Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CHUD NUMBERS: Box Office Discussion Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Squirrel

300 was shorter, more visually appealing, promised the sight of 300 tough shirtless guys which attracts the female audience while the violence and, well, toughness attracts the male audiences, and had a fantastic trailer to boot. The positive word of mouth and the news of record openings led people who wouldn't normally see it go see it so that they could participate in the conversations.

And also, 300 wasn't marketed as a film that required you to have knowledge of another little-known genre to appreciate what was going on. I'd bet 70% of the audience who saw 300 has no idea what "grindhouse" means, so using "See it ... at the grindhouse!" as one of your tag lines wasn't going to do a lot of good.

Not to mention that, for all its visual bells and whistles and graphic novel background, 300 tells a very basic story, and one which its trailers communicated.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KABONG

Twas the title that killed "Redline", which I figured might be a surprise sleeper of sorts. What does that title even mean?

http://wikicars.org/en/Redline
Quote:

Originally Posted by KABONG

Twas the title that killed "Redline", which I figured might be a surprise sleeper of sorts.

Surely, you jest. It's $30 million present from a multi-millionaire loan magnate to his actress girlfriend and his car collection (In fact, he even co-wrote the script). Even for the kiddies who would be the target demographic, there was no "there" there.
Hate to say it guys, but prepare yourselves for another box office bitchslap when HOT FUZZ opens. I caught a preview screening and loved the shit out of the movie, but the trailers and marketing are utterly failing to communicate to Joe Sixpack what a great, fun ride it is.

My fingers are crossed 'cause I want it to succeed far more than I wanted GRINDHOUSE to, but the portents bode ill.
To be fair, it's only opening on 700 or so screens. Great ad campaign or not, it simply won't be available in a good part of the country.
How has The Hoax done, in its context?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Squirrel

300 was shorter, more visually appealing, promised the sight of 300 tough shirtless guys which attracts the female audience while the violence and, well, toughness attracts the male audiences, and had a fantastic trailer to boot. The positive word of mouth and the news of record openings led people who wouldn't normally see it go see it so that they could participate in the conversations.

All good points. Another thing 300 had over Grindhouse was that it had the tenous claim of being in the genre of 'historical epic' a la Braveheart, Troy and even Gladiator. It basically did get the Gladiator audience because it attracted people in all age brackets including older folks.
Grindhouse never got past its young male/film aficionado appeal.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Subotai

How has The Hoax done, in its context?

It's at about $4 million, which is pretty solid considering that the hype is lowish. This is a classic Art house run, and numerous cities still have arthouse theaters, which specialize in such movies. As such, the film is intended to play for the next two months, if possible, and so it's meant to be a slow builder. Right now the numbers are goodish, but I'm guessing it cost at least 20-30, at least. If it's still playing in June, then it's a success.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kueller

Slow Burn isn't going to break National Lampoon's Gold Diggers record for lowest per theater average for a wide release, but it's close, coming in at $687.

Holy shit. So only about 60 people in the ENTIRE country saw this. Someone is feeling the icy chill of death's belly laugh.

Looks like I was right about Grindhouse but completely wrong about the rest.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegan Dracula

Holy shit. So only about 60 people in the ENTIRE country saw this.

From the AP:

Quote:

Compared to Slow Burn, however, Redline was a blockbuster. Slow Burn, very much of an attic relic, unearthed from its corner after four long years of dust-collecting, "grossed" $800,000 on 1,163 screens. That's a per-theater average of $688. Given 2006's average ticket price of $6.55, that's about 105 people per theater. Given an estimated five showings a day, that's about 21 souls on hand for each showing.

Oh, Per screen. I feel like a jackass.
SLOW BURN must be a total pile of shit. It was filmed in 2003, IMDB lists it as a 2005 film and it just now hits the theaters. I mean, I know that a long delay in release doesn't always scream "shit", but considering it has some recognizable names and isn't a foreign film purchased by the Weinsteins, the odor is similar to that of a dirty diaper.
Shaun of the Dead did quite well despite the small number of screens on opening day- which I believe was near the same number Hot Fuzz has right now. I keep seeing the trailer on Comedy Central, which deluded me into thinking the movie is getting a bigger opening.

I honestly hope that the Virginia Tech shooting has no effect on HF whatsoever- I mean, I might be worrying about nothing, but I fear it may have some effect on how well it does in box office. HF is a neat little film, and definitely one of the more funnier/enjoyable movie in the theaters right now, though the beginning is a tad bit slow.
Who is Dellamorte?

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=9827
That is a really great article.
It is. I hope everyone's reading it.
Yes. Kills 2 birds. Who is Andre and should I give a fuck about box office?
Questions answered. Great article, Dre.
Good to see Andre has gotten past whatever phase he was going through a year or so ago. I remember getting into a board pissing match with him and he was quite juvenile at that time.

You seem to have matured a great deal. Looking forward to your next article...

J
Predix for the week! Micah and Dan nut up!

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=9850
While I'll definitely carve some time out of my boring-as-hell social life to see Hot Fuzz (again, thank you) this weekend and I'm glad as hell that it's being promoted on television, does anyone else think the commercials are painting it to be something other than it really is?
I'm seeing it on Saturday, dragging everyone I know with me.
I know people are tending to low-ball HOT FUZZ, but I honestly think it'll wind up #2 this week. Call it a hunch, maybe. Then again, with what happened in VT this week, this may be the wrong time for a shoot-em-up.

Fuck, I don't know anything.
I just don't see that as possible on 825 screens.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan "Nordling" Cerny

I know people are tending to low-ball HOT FUZZ, but I honestly think it'll wind up #2 this week. Call it a hunch, maybe. Then again, with what happened in VT this week, this may be the wrong time for a shoot-em-up.

Fuck, I don't know anything.

Man, I'd be so happy if you were right. After Grindhouse's low numbers, I've lost faith in the general moviegoing public. A solid showing for Hot Fuzz would really be great on several levels.

I didn't think of the VT effect tho. Since they're pretty much marketing this as a straight action spoof (which blows because it's SO much more and not a "spoof" at all) it might not draw the numbers.
I think Fuzz has a shot at #5, definitely not any higher. They are at least advertising the shit out of this.
I think "Vacancy" will bring in the "Hostel" crowd and has a strong chance at number one.
Friday numbers:
Disturbia 4.7
Fracture 3.6
Vacancy 2.8
Blades of Glory 2.5
Hot Fuzz 2.1
In The Land Of Women 1.8
Meet the Robinsons 1.8
Are We Done Yet? 1.3
Perfect Stranger 1.2
Wild Hogs 0.75

My guesswork:
1. Fracture – 15 milion
2. Disturbia – 14 million
3. Vacancy – 11 million
4. Blades of Glory – 8 million
5. Meet the Robinsons – 7 million
6. In the Land of Women – 6 million
7. Hot Fuzz – 5.5 million
8. Perfect Stranger – 4.8 million
9. Are We Done Yet? – 4.7 million
10. Wild Hogs – 3.2 million

I went high on Fracture and probably a little high on Vacancy. Robinson should get a Saturday bounce, and likely so should Done Yet? Otherwise, I feel no shame this week.

The only question left is: Is Hot Fuzz a Friday picture?
I would assume that Hot Fuzz is not quite a Friday picture, but will still be more frontloaded than a typical film. 5.5 sounds about right.
So 5.8 for the Fuzz. And a PTA that's a few thousand higher than anything else.
I hope that's a good enough number for Hot Fuzz to get it expanded to more screens. Fuck, I was angry when I found out that no theatres in my town were playing it.
Good guesses by Andre this week. Micah and Dan seemed to think the chicks would come running to In The Land of Women, but Dre was much closer to where it ended up. Dre was almost dead on on Hot Fuzz, while they took lower. And while the movies weren't in the exact order Dre did nail who the top ten would be. The only one Dre was far off on was Vacancy. I guess there weren't many people interested in seeing a killer attempt to torture and kill some people in a motel this week.

Weekend Estimates
1 Disturbia - $13,460,000
2 Fracture - $11,175,000
3 Blades of Glory - $7,808,000
4 Vacancy - $7,600,000
5 Meet the Robinsons - $7,088,000
6 Hot Fuzz - $5,837,000
7 Are We Done Yet? - $5,200,000
8 In the Land of Women - $4,915,000
9 Perfect Stranger - $4,100,000
10 Wild Hogs - $2,872,000
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulpatine

I hope that's a good enough number for Hot Fuzz to get it expanded to more screens. Fuck, I was angry when I found out that no theatres in my town were playing it.

That's unlikely. In three weeks or so prints might start falling off and get moved to competitive locations where new product is needed, even during the summer season, but this wasn't a roll-out release.
Here's the wrap:

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=9878
McMenamins shout-out!

I think I am seeing Hot Fuzz again today with one of the Bagdad bartenders, and probably several more times once it arrives at a venue where I can drink and watch a Timothy Dalton film at the same time.